Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

PilotsError

when jerry thinks something is really funny, he says, "that's really funny".  he laughs when something kinda awkward startles him and because he's on tv.

most comedians and writers have read and heard everything funny.  "oh that's funny" is the best compliment you can get from them.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

when jerry thinks something is really funny, he says, "that's really funny".  he laughs when something kinda awkward startles him and because he's on tv.

most comedians and writers have read and heard everything funny.  "oh that's funny" is the best compliment you can get from them.

Say what? He’s laughed quite a bit at great stuff on this show. Maybe not this season. But Silverman, Colbert, Burr and others have made him practically cry. 

• Like 1

The show is great when Jerry already knows the other comedian and it's almost like a documentary of what happens when comedian friends get together.   When it's Jerry meeting someone for the first time, it usually doesn't work so well for me. 

His episode with Julia was my favorite. She killed him. He couldn’t stop laughing. Even if it was mostly because of their friendship, he still was entertained. 

His tell on whether he is not amused is that he starts doing his own material for extended periods of time. 

On 7/6/2018 at 1:18 PM, SizzleChest said:

Galifianakis and Neal Brennan were the best, imo.

Chappelle and Tracy Morgan were just OK.

Hasan Minhaj was boring af.

Same.  Liked Dana Carvey’s a lot too. He was funny and I got a bit of a chuckle seeing him dominate the conversation.   Only made it through about half of Minaj.  

it was said earlier in this thread...you people can ruin anything.  I love, Love, LOVE seeing/hearing comedians get together and talk the art of comedy as well as just shoot the shit and make each other laugh.  I'm enjoying this season although not every episode can/has to be great.  I also just now realized we haven't had any new episodes of Inside Comedy with David Steinberg in a while now and fear we won't get more.  Enjoy these kind of things while you can.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, mdleast said:

it was said earlier in this thread...you people can ruin anything.  I love, Love, LOVE seeing/hearing comedians get together and talk the art of comedy as well as just shoot the shit and make each other laugh.  I'm enjoying this season although not every episode can/has to be great.  I also just now realized we haven't had any new episodes of Inside Comedy with David Steinberg in a while now and fear we won't get more.  Enjoy these kind of things while you can.

200.gif

Nothing ruined for me. My point is that a great deal of you seem to go out of the way looking for reasons to not like something as much as before. I don’t suffer from that problem and, thus, get more enjoyment from these things. That’s not to say there can be no dip in the quality of shows, I just don’t feel it’s applicable here. Now, back to your hot takes...

well this show is very different from other tv shows, because it's largely guest dependent.  jerry is always jerry, and i'll watch him do just about anything.

of course the earlier episodes are going to be better, because he had great guests and people he had chemistry with, typically through a previous relationship, and that's fun to watch.  some people are weird, not as funny in this setting, or just have an awkward energy with jerry.

i do think jerry's over the top selfish/superior/cranky act is wearing a little thin.  whomever i was just watching where he talked about fans on the street wanting to take a picture with you, and "you owe them nothing, you gave them a show for free.  if anything, they owe you something" - yeah, we get it.  you're the special one.  fans and ratings certainly didn't increase ad revenue which bought your houses and cars, jerry.

all i was saying is that this season, for whatever reason, had a weird energy, and just seemed uncomfortable and less fun to watch.  i think it's a production issue, because the guests were pretty solid.

Jerry was actually very nonchalant about being photographed in public during the Galifinakis interview. He seems to realize most people have like 45 followers and the picture quality will suck anyway, so no one really sees it.

It's funny HG mentions production issues and there are definitely more camera/crew photobombs now. But overall it's still a good show...you hope for 2-3 laughs and maybe 1-2 nuggets about behind the scenes stuff from Jerry or the guest. The post-credit banter is usually as good as anything in the actual show.

I wonder if he's able to keep cranking these out with mostly A-list guests because they know it's very light conversation, you don't need to burn much material and he won't make you look bad no matter what mood you are in.

On 7/7/2018 at 6:33 PM, Dr. Teeth said:

His episode with Julia was my favorite. She killed him. He couldn’t stop laughing. Even if it was mostly because of their friendship, he still was entertained. 

His tell on whether he is not amused is that he starts doing his own material for extended periods of time. 

Yeah.  The JLD one was great.  She has to be one of the most charming humans alive. Love her.

23 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Jerry was actually very nonchalant about being photographed in public during the Galifinakis interview. He seems to realize most people have like 45 followers and the picture quality will suck anyway, so no one really sees it.

It's funny HG mentions production issues and there are definitely more camera/crew photobombs now. But overall it's still a good show...you hope for 2-3 laughs and maybe 1-2 nuggets about behind the scenes stuff from Jerry or the guest. The post-credit banter is usually as good as anything in the actual show.

I wonder if he's able to keep cranking these out with mostly A-list guests because they know it's very light conversation, you don't need to burn much material and he won't make you look bad no matter what mood you are in.

By the looks of it, he will definitely be doing more tie-ins with Netflix comedians. Luckily for him, it is the new Comedy Central. They just announced they are dropping 47 specials on the same day.

He pointed to several guys, Brennan. Mulaney and Hassan, that were involved with Netflix. But these are definitely the people I figured he would interview anyway. They just all happen to be under the NFLX umbrella.

I don’t care about the production shit, I just know for the most part this show scratches my comedy itch.

I don’t care for his politics but I could watch Jerry and Alec Baldwin for an hour, the same way I could watch relentlessly when he pairs up with Bill Burr, Dana Carvey, Brian Regan, JLD, Norm Macdonald, Will Ferrell, Garry Shandling (an absolute shame he passed too young), and Sebastian Maniscalco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Binging this now, watching very uncritically, and therefore really enjoying it.  Louis CK's was great just for the boat story and the payoff at the end with his daughter's line.

I've also made myself watch a few that I might have otherwise skipped based on what I know (or didn't know) about the subject.  Particularly, Steve Harvey, Ali Wentworth, and Barry Marder.  One that really disappointed cause I love the comedian, was Todd Barry.

The Miranda Sings was the worst by far (so far).  Huge mistake to have her do it in character.  The most interesting part was the tag at the end.

I do hate that Netflix seems to have shuffled the order (other than the new season) for some reason (or I am doing it wrong).  Jarring to see one from 2015, then another that is clearly 2012 or something.

On 7/10/2018 at 8:39 PM, McCroskey said:

I don’t care about the production shit, I just know for the most part this show scratches my comedy itch.

I don’t care for his politics but I could watch Jerry and Alec Baldwin for an hour, the same way I could watch relentlessly when he pairs up with Bill Burr, Dana Carvey, Brian Regan, JLD, Norm Macdonald, Will Ferrell, Garry Shandling (an absolute shame he passed too young), and Sebastian Maniscalco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah just like anything it works best when Jerry and the other person either have a relationship, a mutual respect, or someone that Jerry actually finds funny. It isn't the perfect set up for a lot of really funny people. That said I enjoy people that can be funny without having to try and have enough personality to make the show interesting because they can have a conversation with someone like Jerry and just shoot the shit like they would be doing if they were actually "just having a cup of coffee". 

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

40 minutes for Eddie was nice, I found him more interesting than funny but that's fine. Lots of Cosby talk there, and a little more in the Seth Rogen episode. Rogen describes a "what could have been" all-time comedy moment w/Will Ferrell, and the producers found the footage for the post-credit quickie shot. Show seems to be using more graphics/supporting video than the past, and it helps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

40 minutes for Eddie was nice, I found him more interesting than funny but that's fine. Lots of Cosby talk there, and a little more in the Seth Rogen episode. Rogen describes a "what could have been" all-time comedy moment w/Will Ferrell, and the producers found the footage for the post-credit quickie shot. Show seems to be using more graphics/supporting video than the past, and it helps.

Agreed. Eddie and him talking about the early years was great. The most eye opening was how Eddie talked about Pryor basically being an asshole to him and giving him bad advice because "he was the other black comic" was really interesting.