2019 CB Marques Caldwell

texifornia

36 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Glad to have him aboard.  

What is it about Caldwell that makes him standout? That's an unprejudiced question. I don't watch much film and really don't know.

Length? Speed? Camp performance?

Thanks in advance.

Frame and willingness to mix it up. Called a Holton Hill starter kit, but I don't really see it. Would like to see him improve his ball skills.

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

Frame and willingness to mix it up. Called a Holton Hill starter kit, but I don't really see it. Would like to see him improve his ball skills.

Don’t know about comparisons, but DB evaluation is one thing I have zero reason to question with this staff. If they really like a guy, that sounds good to me.

IT writeup: http://insidetexas.com/caldwell-commits-to-texas/

ALVIN, TX — Marques Caldwell wanted to stay closer to home. So when he de-committed from Oregon, he knew where he was headed.

The 6-foot-2, 170-pound cornerback committed to Texas today. Caldwell held offers from Oregon, Ole Miss, Colorado, TCU, and Missouri among others, but ultimately the UT invitation was the most important.

It’s also more proof of the recruiting chops of CB coach Jason Washington, and the re-branding of the DBU moniker. After landing 4-stars corners in Jalen Green and Anthony Cook last cycle, he grabs another with Kenyatta Watson II and a 3-star in Caldwell for 2019.

Excerpt from the Recruiting Notebook (Ian Boyd):

How he fits at Texas: Caldwell is the kind of guy many teams are looking for at corner, long at 6-1 and hard to throw over but then quick enough to hang with routes and carry a receiver deep. At Texas he’d be a developmental prospect with the hopes that his current knack for beating blocks and delivering shots would translate into physical, all around play as a trap corner. Texas’ dime package comes alive when the corners will tackle and Caldwell could fit well in that package. – IB

Take a look at highlights from his junior campaign, where he was named 5A All-District 2nd team. He’s tallied 49 tackles, 12 PBUs, and 4 INTs in his two seasons on the varsity at Alvin.

14 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

Don’t know about comparisons, but DB evaluation is one thing I have zero reason to question with this staff. If they really like a guy, that sounds good to me.

I agree.  

Looking for Caldwell to have a great career on the 40. 

• Like 1