wc semi 1 :: La bataille des hydres à trois têtes

Hagbard Celine

5 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

rooting for the worlds largest electronic dance festival here. 

Ha!  Nice.

I'm so pumped for this one, these are my two favorite countries in the world, outside of the USA of course.  I was really hoping it would come down to this in the semis.  I'm torn, but I actually have a French world cup soccer t-shirt that my kids gave me for Father's Day, so...

Vive le France!

• Like 1

I am torn as well. I love how both play and they have run through this cup with class. Have loved France since 1982 (Fuck Schumacher). 

sport-goal0_2962377b.jpg

All I can say is whoever wins today will have my vote in the final. But this is the Surl and it is time to make a prediction. 

France. 2-1.

So when it is over will it be remembered as a classic hard fought battle like West Germany v France in 1982. Kids that don't know any better, with immense talent, will play their hearts out. It could make for great drama during the game. Both defenses have proved vulnerable. Both offenses have proved to be very capable of producing goals. This should be fun.

• Like 2

France's Blaise Matuidi is available after a ban and is set to return in place of fellow midfielder Corentin Tolisso, who deputised against Uruguay.

Striker Olivier Giroud will keep his starting spot despite not registering a shot on target at this World Cup.

Right wing-back Thomas Meunier is suspended for Belgium, so a defensive reshuffle will be required.

Head coach Roberto Martinez changed tactics against Brazil, abandoning his favoured 3-4-2-1 formation.

Centre-forward Romelu Lukaku spent much of that game on the right flank, with midfielder Kevin de Bruyne at times operating as a false nine.

It remains to be seen whether Martinez repeats that ploy against the French.

Roberto Martinez has urged Belgium to "play without fear" in their World Cup semi-final against France, and given his bold approach in the stunning win against Brazil, it is clearly a mantra he believes in.

With Kevin de Bruyne deployed in a false nine role, Romelu Lukaku found space on the right flank, reprising a ploy Martinez had occasionally used at Everton.

Top scorer Lukaku has not been on target in either of Belgium's two knockout wins but has earned plaudits for his all-round game, and assisted the second goal against Brazil. The striker seems to be relishing working with Martinez's assistant, France's record scorer Thierry Henry.

Henry's presence in the Belgium camp adds additional intrigue to this game. France's last World Cup semi-final, against Portugal in 2006, was decided by a penalty won by Henry and converted by Zinedine Zidane.

France coach Didier Deschamps, a former team-mate of Henry, says it will be "bizarre" to see him on the opposition bench, but adds "he is someone I really appreciate".

France defender Raphael Varane: "Belgium are young, but they are maturing. We know it will be a tough match... Romelu Lukaku's physicality can trouble any defence. We can't leave him any space because he's a quality player.

"As for Eden [Hazard], I've already played against him when he was at Lille. He has great qualities and is a good dribbler. We can't give him any space either, so it is going to take a collective effort."

Belgium midfielder Kevin de Bruyne: "When you reach the semi-finals of a World Cup you're never going to find ordinary opposition.

"We are on an equal footing with France, we will try and do everything we can physically and mentally. At the end, you do all you can to win and if they're better, they're better. That's football."

LAWRO'S PREDICTION

Belgium were excellent against Brazil but I am worried that game might have been their performance of this World Cup. They just need to forget that win, as good as it was, and try to start again.

I just think Les Bleus might step things up here. As we have seen before when they have reached this stage of a major tournament, their success has a wider significance and their football team is seen as a symbol of a united France.

I think they will respond here too - and make it to Moscow next Sunday.