London

G650

On 4/24/2018 at 7:49 PM, Txzen said:

I don't disagree that London and Paris are cities which in many ways completely embody the international perception of what the country is. But saying London is England or Paris is France is just silly. You can't understand either country if you limit yourself to those capitals. 

That makes sense, but if I ever get the chance to, I would ride the ferris wheel in London for sure...

London-Eye-8.jpg

8 hours ago, G650 said:

rampage.jpg?resize=1200,735&ssl=1

I always go with Ralph on that game...

there are so many places in eng/fra outside of their capital cities that are so different and add dimensions to the country.  my favorites are the rural regions (especially the loire rv in france and "wessex" in eng)- they are magnificently beautiful. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Arrived on Sunday and had roast at Andover Arms in Hammersmith about 3 blocks from my AirBnB. It was really good. Had the beef and the lamb shoulder.

Notable meals so far are amazing Indian at Dishoom near Camden and an absolutely insane afternoon tea at sketch. The facility alone is badass but it is quite the spectacle. Also had some really good Italian last night by the theater at some tiny little place, but I don’t remember the name.

I really recommend staying near the Hammersmith Tube Station. It has 3-4 of the lines so getting around is easy but it’s still bargain enough. I think we’re paying $200/night after all taxes and fees, etc. We’re in a one bedroom that sleeps four that’s about a 7 minute walk to the station.

We’re still here until Sunday so I’ll add more later. It’s not as cool as Sydney or NYC to me but it’s enjoyable. I still can’t get over how this city just goes to sleep so early.

1 hour ago, Orange^White said:

Arrived on Sunday and had roast at Andover Arms in Hammersmith about 3 blocks from my AirBnB. It was really good. Had the beef and the lamb shoulder.

Notable meals so far are amazing Indian at Dishoom near Camden and an absolutely insane afternoon tea at sketch. The facility alone is badass but it is quite the spectacle. Also had some really good Italian last night by the theater at some tiny little place, but I don’t remember the name.

I really recommend staying near the Hammersmith Tube Station. It has 3-4 of the lines so getting around is easy but it’s still bargain enough. I think we’re paying $200/night after all taxes and fees, etc. We’re in a one bedroom that sleeps four that’s about a 7 minute walk to the station.

We’re still here until Sunday so I’ll add more later. It’s not as cool as Sydney or NYC to me but it’s enjoyable. I still can’t get over how this city just goes to sleep so early.

I can vouch for that Dishoom and the afternoon tea at sketch.

• 4 weeks later...

Spent tonight booking a trip back to London next spring with our youngest two kids, enjoying catching up on this thread.  Bath definitely on the list this next go around, plan to be in London for at least 5 full days instead of the 2 when I went with my oldest a few months ago.

Fucking love this city, man. 

Edited by McCroskey

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I've had more than my quota of Guinness Extra Stout over here, not to mention Leffe.

Was just curious what a limey version of a margarita would be like.

Shoulda went with Trooper (Robinson's Brewery.) It’s excellent. 

Also Seven Bro7hers is strong to very strong. 

Kind of surreal with the car wreck thing today, and just walking at that very spot yesterday. 

I bet it is...

Ironically for me, just yesterday afternoon I moved my reservations next spring from the Marriott County Hall to the St Ermins Hotel because my wife was a little concerned at the congestion she’d read about and the close proximity to all of the touristy stuff in that area, including the Westminster bridge which we’d have to cross at least once or twice a day.

I felt a little silly at the time but after today I’m glad we’re in a slightly more secluded location. Plus for me, Autograph Collection hotels have always treated me very well, hopefully that holds true at this property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Kind of surreal with the car wreck thing today, and just walking at that very spot yesterday. 

We crossed over that street from Westminster Abbey to the Parliament building side two weeks ago. Our Brit friends were pointing out the spots where the terrorist van driver did his evil work last year.

2 hours ago, McCroskey said:

I bet it is...

Ironically for me, just yesterday afternoon I moved my reservations next spring from the Marriott County Hall to the St Ermins Hotel because my wife was a little concerned at the congestion she’d read about and the close proximity to all of the touristy stuff in that area, including the Westminster bridge which we’d have to cross at least once or twice a day.

I felt a little silly at the time but after today I’m glad we’re in a slightly more secluded location. Plus for me, Autograph Collection hotels have always treated me very well, hopefully that holds true at this property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That whole area around the bridge/Parliament/Westminster Abbey was overrun with hordes of tourists. Almost as bad as San Jacinto after a football game.

• 4 weeks later...

Trying to sort out a London stay in December.

Currently:
I'm booked at the InterContinental O2 on a smashing rate of £768 for 4 nights, in a river view club room. (Using an Ambassador cert for one night, so £256/night.) Will be upgraded to (at least) a Studio suite from Ambassador program. I like that hotel, no real issues. Easy 5min walk to the tube either around the outside of the hotel, or inside through the O2.

Under Consideration/Second Guessing:
I'm second guessing jumping on that rate/opportunity. Mainly from a location perspective. This time around, I really have no reason to be over that direction. I've got business one evening up around Wembley, but the remaining time will be primarily focused around locations in central London. That being the case, I'm not sure if the extra 20min on the tube is worth it. Thinking of cancelling and looking at something a little closer in. Mostly at/between Hyde Park and Tower Bridge, either IHG or Hilton. Of course if I do that, I'm looking at doubling what I would paying for the O2. Hence the consideration. Double the cost, but have much shorter/easier access (plus a zone 1 cap vice zone 3 cap), or stick it out at the O2.

A cursory glance at the Hilton Park Lane shows 380 quid or so for random December dates. That includes a weekend which is usually higher in this part of town due to tourists. So a definite increase, but not double.

You also get a Trader Vics in the basement, so that's nice.

Looked at Hilton and IC on Park Lane, as well as Hilton Bankside and Tower Bridge, and the Double Tree Tower Hill.

I can top out at the DT for ~£1150. Other rooms are £1300-£1400 for Bank or Tower Bridge, then £1500-£1900 over on Park Lane. Leaning towards the DoubleTree. Good tube access to most locations with one change max, so that's not bad. Takes 25 min off the ride in from N Greenwich at least.

Still not 100% sure though. Park Lane would make it 2 changes for a few places, but being right across from the main Christmas market would be good. Straight shot to Kings Cross/St Pancras, as well as LHR. I do still have a weekend night cert for IC, so maybe I’ll just do that. 

Spire Ambassador with IHG, gold with Hilton. Hilton treats their members a good bit better than IHG, even as an Ambassador at an IC. 

I'm trying to stick to IHG or Hilton for point collection.

£1160 for the Double tree, King Suite
£1365 for Hilton Tower Bridge, King Exec Deluxe
£1370 for Hilton Bankside, King Jr Suite
£1375 for IC Park Lane, King Standard
£1480 for Hilton Park Lane, King Deluxe
£1620 for Hilton Park Lane, King Exec
£1970 for IC Park Lane, King Jr Suite

I'm not opposed to any of those, although I will look for the better value for the price.

(Note: flex rates, not prepaid.)

1 hour ago, gecko said:

Hilton Tower Bridge location is outstanding.  Easy walk to the Tower.  Major tube hub close by.

Its a business hotel.  Not much to look at from the outside (very 80-ish).

Not a Hilton property but my fav is the Royal Horsegaurds, but get an upgraded room.

The London Bridge tube station would be one of the better options in terms of tube access, with jubilee and northern running through. Easy access to Kings Cross on the northern line, and easy access east/west with jubilee.

57 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

The London Bridge tube station would be one of the better options in terms of tube access, with jubilee and northern running through. Easy access to Kings Cross on the northern line, and easy access east/west with jubilee.

Out of curiosity, what places are you looking to hang out? Or just want max flexibility?

9 hours ago, G650 said:

Out of curiosity, what places are you looking to hang out? Or just want max flexibility? 

Mostly central/city center. Will be there Saturday to Wednesday. Tuesday night going up to Wembley Park (Jubilee or Metropolitan line), and headed to Jugged Hare on Sunday. Will probably hit the Westminster area one day, Tower of London for a half day, and I wouldn't mind looking for a watch at Harrod's or Selfridges, etc. Maybe Shepherd's Bush or something out of the way. Really have 2 full days (Mon/Tues), and 2 half days (Sat afternoon and Tues morning.) Exact plans haven't been finalized, but mostly central stuff. May take one of the full days and go see Bath.

So mainly it's decent access, but where I'm not spending an extra 25 min on the tube each time I want to go somewhere. (Hence why I'm wanting to move my reservation from the O2. It's nice property, and if you have business in the area, then it's great. When you have nothing there but a place to stay, then not so much.)

- DoubleTree Tower Hill is at the Tower Hill station, Circle and District lines.
- Hilton Tower Bridge is at the London Bridge station, with Northern and Jubilee lines.
- Hilton Bankside is at Southwark, with Jubilee line.

Both Hilton and IC on Park Lane are at the Hyde Park station (Piccadilly), one stop off Green Park.

I think from comparing rooms and locations, I'm focusing in on either the Hilton Bankside or Hilton/IC on Park Lane.

13 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Mostly central/city center. Will be there Saturday to Wednesday. Tuesday night going up to Wembley Park (Jubilee or Metropolitan line), and headed to Jugged Hare on Sunday. Will probably hit the Westminster area one day, Tower of London for a half day, and I wouldn't mind looking for a watch at Harrod's or Selfridges, etc. Maybe Shepherd's Bush or something out of the way. Really have 2 full days (Mon/Tues), and 2 half days (Sat afternoon and Tues morning.) Exact plans haven't been finalized, but mostly central stuff. May take one of the full days and go see Bath.

So mainly it's decent access, but where I'm not spending an extra 25 min on the tube each time I want to go somewhere. (Hence why I'm wanting to move my reservation from the O2. It's nice property, and if you have business in the area, then it's great. When you have nothing there but a place to stay, then not so much.)

- DoubleTree Tower Hill is at the Tower Hill station, Circle and District lines.
- Hilton Tower Bridge is at the London Bridge station, with Northern and Jubilee lines.
- Hilton Bankside is at Southwark, with Jubilee line.

Both Hilton and IC on Park Lane are at the Hyde Park station (Piccadilly), one stop off Green Park.

I think from comparing rooms and locations, I'm focusing in on either the Hilton Bankside or Hilton/IC on Park Lane.

Yeah, I still would say Park Lane would be the go. There's a ton in the immediate vicinity and you can get anywhere pretty quick.