Justified

AustinMT

https://www.justjared.com/2022/01/14/timothy-olyphant-returning-as-raylan-givens-for-justified-revival

Timothy Olyphant Returning as Raylan Givens For 'Justified' Revival

Timothy Olyphant is linking back up with FX for more Justified!

The revival also has a new title: Justified: City Primeval.

THR reports that the concept is inspired by Elmore Leonard’s novel “City Primeval: High Noon in Detroit.”

Here’s the storyline: “Having left the hollers of Kentucky eight years ago, Raylan Givens now lives in Miami, a walking anachronism balancing his life as a U.S. Marshal and part-time father of a 14-year-old girl. His hair is grayer, his hat is dirtier, and the road in front of him is suddenly a lot shorter than the road behind. A chance encounter on a desolate Florida highway sends him to Detroit.”

“There he crosses paths with Clement Mansell, aka The Oklahoma Wildman, a violent, sociopathic desperado who’s already slipped through the fingers of Detroit’s finest once and aims to do so again. Mansell’s lawyer, formidable Motor City native Carolyn Wilder, has every intention of representing her client, even as she finds herself caught in between cop and criminal, with her own game afoot as well. These three characters set out on a collision course in classic Elmore Leonard fashion, to see who makes it out of the City Primeval alive.”

“Justified was one of the most critically acclaimed shows of the past decade and an adaption of Elmore Leonard’s work that was so colorfully brought to life by Timothy Olyphant as Raylan Givens, Graham Yost and the entire team of producers, writers, directors and cast,” Eric Schrier, president, FX Entertainment, said in a statement. “To have this group come together again with Tim as Raylan in a new and different Elmore Leonard story is thrilling.”

The original Justified series focused on Deputy Raylan Givens, as he’s reassigned to the Kentucky district where he grew up. It ended in 2015.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Catpfish said:

Home with the 'rona. Just got through watching the two best seasons. Season 2...damn, Margo Martindale killed it as Mags and season 6

Hard to argue those 2 seasons. Mags was my favorite villain of the show. Season 6 did a great job of wrapping everything up. Sam Elliot was good in that season too although it was distracting seeing him without his trademark mustache. It’s been a while since I watched the series, but I remember thinking the show was on a downhill slide in season 5 but they recovered nicely. I should probably rewatch it before the new limited series comes out.

21 hours ago, APMP said:

They better find a way to get Boyd in the show. They freaking dug coal together.

I guess he could visit him in prison but it would be a stretch.

19 hours ago, GTX Horn said:

I remember thinking the show was on a downhill slide in season 5 but they recovered nicely.

Michael Rapaport single-handedly ruined season 5.  What awful casting.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think there was more involved than just run of the mill “politics”.

Man’s gone past the QAnon battshitery Rubicon.

Including absolutely unhinged rants and threatening violence.

Something tells me the production insurance company said “No fucking way.”

They can open the show with Art’s funeral. That brings Raylan back and gives the PTB to rope him into another big case - this time as the old man in charge himself.

I loved Nick Searcy as Art - that monologue about Hunter Mosley being a badass is one of my favorites.

But I couldn’t enjoy him - even pretending to be Art - after knowing the gross and vile stuff he spews.

• Like 2

I haven't read the source material, but doesn't this take place several years later in Florida and Detroit?  Doesn't sound like they'll have to account for Art or anyone from Kentucky not being in this one.  Could just be Olyphant and an entirely new crew, which I'm fine with.  Boyd was amazing as was the entire first series, but his arch was complete.  No need to keep going back to the same well.

Edited by Tom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Tom said:

I haven't read the source material, but doesn't this take place several years later in Florida and Detroit?  Doesn't sound like they'll have to account for Art or anyone from Kentucky not being in this one.  Could just be Olyphant and an entirely new crew, which I'm fine with.  Boyd was amazing as was the entire first series, but his arch was complete.  No need to keep going back to the same well.

That's what I read.  This sounds like mostly new characters.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/14/2022 at 6:13 PM, henrygandorf said:

Cast announced

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/justified-follow-up-rounds-out-cast-with-aunjanue-ellis-boyd-holbrook-marin-ireland-and-more-1235141596/

FX has rounded out the cast of its Justified follow-up series, Justified: City Primeval.

The Disney-backed cabler has enlisted Aunjanue Ellis, Boyd Holbrook, Adelaide Clemens, Vondie Curtis-Hall, Marin Ireland, Norbert Leo Butz, Victor Williams and Vivian Olyphant to join franchise star Timothy Olyphant in the limited series inspired by Elmore Leonard’s City Primeval: High Noon in Detroit.

Having left the hollers of Kentucky eight years ago, Raylan Givens now lives in Miami, a walking anachronism balancing his life as a U.S. Marshal and part-time father of a 15-year-old girl. His hair is grayer, his hat is dirtier, and the road in front of him is suddenly a lot shorter than the road behind.

Ellis (King Richard, Lovecraft Country) will play formidable Motor City native Carolyn Wilder, who has every intention of representing her client, Clement Mansell, even as she finds herself caught in between cop and criminal, with her own game afoot as well.

Holbrook (FX’s The Premise, The Sandman) will portray Mansell, aka the Oklahoma Wildman, a violent, sociopathic desperado who’s already slipped through the fingers of Detroit’s finest once and aims to do so again.

Clemens (FX’s Under the Banner of Heaven, Rectify) plays Sandy, Mansell’s girlfriend.

Curtis-Hall (For the People, Blue Bayou) is set as Sweety, a local bar owner and musician who has been known to run a scam or two.

Ireland (FX’s Y: The last Man, The Umbrella Academy) plays Maureen, a Detroit cop.

Butz (FX’s Fosse/Verdon, Bloodline) plays Norbert, a Detroit detective.

Williams (The Good Lord Bird, The Righteous Gemstones) portrays Wendell, another Detroit detective.

Vivian Olyphant, Timothy’s real-life daughter, will play the same role as Raylan’s offspring.

The new Justified hails from showrunners Dave Andron and Michael Dinner, who exec produce alongside Olyphant, Graham Yost, Sarah Timberman and Carl Beverly, Taylor Elmore and Chris Provenzano. Peter Leonard of the Elmore Leonard Estate also exec produces the series, which is a co-production between Sony Pictures Television, FX Productions and MGM Television.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, RPM said:

Having left the hollers of Kentucky eight years ago, Raylan Givens now lives in Miami, a walking anachronism balancing his life as a U.S. Marshal and part-time father of a 15-year-old girl.

The timeline doesn’t make sense. His daughter has aged a decade in the last 4 years.

The timeline doesn’t make sense. His daughter has aged a decade in the last 4 years.

He left Louisville 8 years ago. It follows the stories more than anything.

No Ava. She was the hottie. I wanted some of her fried chicken and gravy, among other things.

5 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

He left Louisville 8 years ago. It follows the stories more than anything.

No Ava. She was the hottie. I wanted some of her fried chicken and gravy, among other things.

Lexington. And that’s the point. He leaves there in the last episode. His daughter is just a few months old.

Fast forward 4 years in the epilogue, he’s in Miami, and she appears to be 4-5 years old. Which makes sense.

Now we are another 4 years after that,  and she’s suddenly 15. Even if you assume he didn’t leave Kentucky immediately (though it’s pretty clear in the finale he is) and stretch it out to him somehow just having left there in the epilogue, she can’t be more than about 12.