Justified

AustinMT

The Wire, Breaking Bad and Sopranos get a lot of attention for best TV series ever, and deservedly so.  But I think Justified is close to the top of the second tier.  I fucking loved this show.  It's so well written and acted, and the storylines from season to season just worked.  It wasn't perfect and I'm sure critics could nitpick stuff, but goddamn from start to finish it was entertaining as hell.  Favorite season is Noble's holler - Limehouse didn't fuck around.

Boyd Crowder, Dewey, Sheriff Steffy, Mags Bennet ... the characters in this show were awesome.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, RPM said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned somewhere, but if you're a Ticket listener you'll notice some familiar names. Writer/Producer VJ Boyd was a P1 and used the names of Ticket personalities as character names.

http://www.theunticket.com/tag/justified/

Dewey Crowe:

"I give you a gift, the anus is on you to take care of it, not just give it to any ole dickface that happens along."

Can't believe he worked the Craig Rosengarden E-Brake into a scene. Awesome!

• Like 2

so I started this series when it was originally on FX because of all the chatter on shaggy about how great it was.  I picked it up in season three and always thought it was one of the top series ever.  Finally got Amazon Prime and have binged the first two seasons over the past week or so.

My thoughts are that season 1 was the weakest of all seasons. It seems like they didn't exactly know what they wanted to do with the series (each episode was is on little story).  Once they finally developed the characters and the story it was golden.  Season 2 was outfrickingstanding.  Mags was great.  Always loved Dickie as well.  

Spoiler

Never knew about Coover or Doyle. Never understood why Raylan had a heart for Loretta.  Never knew before that Ava and Raylan were a thing so that was good info.  Also the transformation of Boyd from bomber/white supremacist to religious zealot/miner back to a bomber/crime boss was great.

• 3 months later...

Justified Season 4 Episode 11- Decoy

Constable Bob is a tough son of a bitch.

Tonin hitman: Who's that? 

Raylan: Uh, he's the man who killed your boy yoo-hoo.

Tonin hitman: Yolo.

Raylan: Whatever.

Tonin hitman: Him?

Raylan: People underestimate Bob at their peril.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 12:19 PM, MAROON said:

so I started this series when it was originally on FX because of all the chatter on shaggy about how great it was.  I picked it up in season three and always thought it was one of the top series ever.  Finally got Amazon Prime and have binged the first two seasons over the past week or so.

My thoughts are that season 1 was the weakest of all seasons. It seems like they didn't exactly know what they wanted to do with the series (each episode was is on little story).  Once they finally developed the characters and the story it was golden.  Season 2 was outfrickingstanding.  Mags was great.  Always loved Dickie as well.

It's probably stated further up, but it's worth repeating.  Justified was originally intended to be more of a procedural show, with less of a  serial plot line; and Boyd was gonna die in the pilot.  The quickly realized Goggins must stay, and they pivoted to what we ultimately got.  As a result, Season 1 was a combination of those 2 things.  

Raylan saw himself in Loretta, and he wanted to keep her on the straight and narrow.

4 hours ago, RPM said:

Justified Season 4 Episode 11- Decoy

Constable Bob is a tough son of a bitch.

Tonin hitman: Who's that? 

Raylan: Uh, he's the man who killed your boy yoo-hoo.

Tonin hitman: Yolo.

Raylan: Whatever.

Tonin hitman: Him?

Raylan: People underestimate Bob at their peril.

The climax scene of Season 4's conclusion was awesome, with Raylan and Boyd at the airport.  "Go get 'em, Cowboy."  And, "I'm suspended."  I wish I could find it on Youtube.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

finished up a rewatch last night.  started around thanksgiving.  god damn.  i loved the show when it aired, but i think i like it even more now.  raylan givens is one of the coolest characters in the history of scripted television and the dialogue is other worldly.  i'm gonna miss watching this show again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I rewatched Once Upon a Time in Hollywood tonight and noticed that when shooting Lancer, Leo is definitely channeling Boyd's "Ray-lan Givens" delivery when he calls out "John-ny Madrid" when Olyphant first walks into the bar saloon.  Either QT or Leo was a fan or maybe just Olyphant suggested it.

Edited by WBT

• 4 months later...

Bump.

I missed this on the original run. I've been slowly watching over the past few weeks and down to the last 2 episodes. I'd definitely put this in my top 5 shows. A lot of great characters are in this, but Boyd is definitely a standout. 

Side Note: Sam Elliot just doesn't look right without the mustache. 

1 hour ago, RPM said:

Damon Herriman plays Dewey Crowe. He's an Aussie. Saw him in Mr Inbetween and blew my mind. Dude is a damn good actor to pull off Dewey so well.

I just saw him in Mindhunter as Charles Manson. Pretty great and totally Unrecognizable with the hair and beard, but the voice was what made me look him up. Oddly he also played Manson in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. 

• Hook 'Em 2

• 5 months later...

Never watched this before but I got Hulu for the McCartney doc and I’ve been knocking it out pretty quick. On S4 now. Perfect semi-mindless entertainment that’s easy to binge. I always resisted starting it because I thought it was serious for some reason. 

On 7/16/2021 at 6:34 PM, Enchubben said:

Saw this recommended on another thread for new series to watch. S3 E7 right now and it’s pretty good.

I generally don’t like a lot of network tv series that aren’t on HBO/Showtime etc, but this is good enough to keep my attention.

Honestly, it's no HBO but FX has a better track record of making good shows I like over Showtime.  

• 5 months later...