Yellowstone

Moby Ric

13 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

I need Fly fishing services for beginners. maybe half day.

I've fished with WorldCast Anglers, and they were great.  For a beginner, I suggest doing a trip on a drift boat.  Can be you, the guide, and one other person.  Easy roll casting.  My uncle and I probably caught 70 fish the day we did that.  You also get to see a lot of beautiful country.

https://www.worldcastanglers.com/

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 11:09 AM, Johnny Sack said:

I've fished with WorldCast Anglers, and they were great.  For a beginner, I suggest doing a trip on a drift boat.  Can be you, the guide, and one other person.  Easy roll casting.  My uncle and I probably caught 70 fish the day we did that.  You also get to see a lot of beautiful country.

https://www.worldcastanglers.com/

i sent an email to hopefully book something. 

• Like 1

On 6/3/2019 at 7:09 PM, Errestaurants said:

Thanks Brother.

We like to stay in 2 bedroom 2 bath homes/condos, etc. allows us to put our daughter to bed but we all get to still hangout versus being in separate hotel rooms.

Just stayed here in Teton Village and the location was amazing.  Walking distance to everything in the Village, 20 min drive to Jackson, 5 min to Grand Teton NP.  Not available for your full trip (starting the 8th right?), but you could do the 2nd half.  

https://www.vrbo.com/75340?arrival=2019-08-12&departure=2019-08-17&adultsCount=2

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just stayed here in Teton Village and the location was amazing.  Walking distance to everything in the Village, 20 min drive to Jackson, 5 min to Grand Teton NP.  Not available for your full trip (starting the 8th right?), but you could do the 2nd half.  

https://www.vrbo.com/75340?arrival=2019-08-12&departure=2019-08-17&adultsCount=2

thanks. We are booked. we ended up renting a place in Jackson. 

So I got back from Yellowstone on Saturday.  Trip was amazing.  3 nights in Teton, 4 in Yellowstone.

Weather was perfect until the last day and we had a full on snow storm the morning we left.  4-6 inches in 2 hours.  They closed every road in the park except from Old Faithful to the west entrance, which worked out perfectly since we were at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge and we didn't miss our flight.

Simply incredible.  We saw every part of the park on the Grand Loop.  West Thumb, Hayden Valley, Canyon, Lamar Valley, Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful, and everything in between.  Saw TONS of animals.  10 bears.  Countless bison and elk.  Only thing we missed were wolves.  Tried to catch them early in the morning in Lamar Valley, but alas. 

Stayed at Canyon and Old Faithful Snow Lodge.  Canyon Lodge is a good location, but food is the suck.  It's very much geared toward families with kids it seems.  Snow Lodge was pretty good.  

Tetons were amazing on their own.  Just stunning scenery.  

yiDpnQumDRUd3aESdEPsuCkl2B-OmfF-sfwpgiRW

sGlN3FJqQxQkFoCViZEu1C0cJzU_Mdh2G2sJUYoe

XqlA8qQGNLgzQEL07L0mZFBneGXduC6t8RyeOxgZ

59T50Mkp4R3Cbf5C8ytV6rouDdX5QmZ4QPK6qz1F

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

So I got back from Yellowstone on Saturday.  Trip was amazing.  3 nights in Teton, 4 in Yellowstone.

Weather was perfect until the last day and we had a full on snow storm the morning we left.  4-6 inches in 2 hours.  They closed every road in the park except from Old Faithful to the west entrance, which worked out perfectly since we were at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge and we didn't miss our flight.

Simply incredible.  We saw every part of the park on the Grand Loop.  West Thumb, Hayden Valley, Canyon, Lamar Valley, Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful, and everything in between.  Saw TONS of animals.  10 bears.  Countless bison and elk.  Only thing we missed were wolves.  Tried to catch them early in the morning in Lamar Valley, but alas. 

Stayed at Canyon and Old Faithful Snow Lodge.  Canyon Lodge is a good location, but food is the suck.  It's very much geared toward families with kids it seems.  Snow Lodge was pretty good.  

Tetons were amazing on their own.  Just stunning scenery.  

yiDpnQumDRUd3aESdEPsuCkl2B-OmfF-sfwpgiRW

sGlN3FJqQxQkFoCViZEu1C0cJzU_Mdh2G2sJUYoe

XqlA8qQGNLgzQEL07L0mZFBneGXduC6t8RyeOxgZ

59T50Mkp4R3Cbf5C8ytV6rouDdX5QmZ4QPK6qz1F

PeskyWiltedDoctorfish-size_restricted.gi

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Great pictures.  I liked your first one the best.  That grand canyon thing was my favorite feature in the park.  

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and Lower Falls was my favorite too.  It felt like something hit me in the chest when I got my first glimpse.  Just took my breath away.  Amazing.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and Lower Falls was my favorite too.  It felt like something hit me in the chest when I got my first glimpse.  Just took my breath away.  Amazing.

That was just the Chinese tourist with his selfie stick not paying attention to where he was going.

• Like 3

I remember doing Yellowstone in late April. Driving up from Jackson along the Snake river with the Tetons rising behind. 60 degree temps and Sunshine, rain, snow, sleet, clouds all in the span of 15 minutes. The drive thru The eastern entrance across to old Faithful inn was surreal as you passed thru all the burned over area from the 1985 fire the devastated that part of the park.  There was still over 5' of snow in April in parts of the drive.

22 hours ago, Errestaurants said:

Ive reached out to them twice and no response back. 

Any other recs for outfitters. We are beginners. Float trip sounded great on the snake river per their website.

I just arrived four days ago in the Yellowstone area, where I have a summer cabin.  Just to make everyone feel bad I'll add that I'll be here until early October.  Although I'm across the border in Idaho (not far from the Johnny Sack cabin), I get over to Jackson a few times each summer.  I've fished with Snake River Anglers and High Country Flies out of Jackson and Worldcast out of Driggs, ID.  All were first class outfits.  Since you are staying in Jackson, one of the Jackson outfitters will likely be more convenient.  I've only used Worldcast for Idaho floats.   I believe you previously mentioned that you emailed Worldcast for a reservation.  I suggest calling any of these outfitters rather than using email.  While some guides are better than others, I think you'll find that whoever you use will provide an enjoyable float.

Don't worry about being a beginner.  The guides are good instructors, although it would really help if you could practice with a guide or instructor on land prior to the float.  Things seem to happen faster once you are on the water.  Whoever you use, be sure to tell them when you book the trip that you are a beginner and whether an on-shore lesson might be available.  That will help them decide where to take you fishing since some stretches are more technical than others.  Also, I'm guessing that you don't have any fly fishing gear yet, so you'll need to arrange for that to be provided.

You also mentioned maybe doing a half-day trip.  Don't be a wuss; once you get on the river you won't want to get off that quickly.  Work on your casting, watch scenery and wildlife, catch some fish and a few willows, stop for a shore lunch and a beer or two, return to the river.  You'll love it.  And take someone out to enjoy it with you; the boats hold two fishermen comfortably. 

Let me know if you have any more questions.  I'm busy getting the cabin up and running, but I'll try to check this thread periodically (unless Bru transfers back to Texas).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kahuna said:

I just arrived four days ago in the Yellowstone area, where I have a summer cabin.  Just to make everyone feel bad I'll add that I'll be here until early October.  Although I'm across the border in Idaho (not far from the Johnny Sack cabin), I get over to Jackson a few times each summer.  I've fished with Snake River Anglers and High Country Flies out of Jackson and Worldcast out of Driggs, ID.  All were first class outfits.  Since you are staying in Jackson, one of the Jackson outfitters will likely be more convenient.  I've only used Worldcast for Idaho floats.   I believe you previously mentioned that you emailed Worldcast for a reservation.  I suggest calling any of these outfitters rather than using email.  While some guides are better than others, I think you'll find that whoever you use will provide an enjoyable float.

Don't worry about being a beginner.  The guides are good instructors, although it would really help if you could practice with a guide or instructor on land prior to the float.  Things seem to happen faster once you are on the water.  Whoever you use, be sure to tell them when you book the trip that you are a beginner and whether an on-shore lesson might be available.  That will help them decide where to take you fishing since some stretches are more technical than others.  Also, I'm guessing that you don't have any fly fishing gear yet, so you'll need to arrange for that to be provided.

You also mentioned maybe doing a half-day trip.  Don't be a wuss; once you get on the river you won't want to get off that quickly.  Work on your casting, watch scenery and wildlife, catch some fish and a few willows, stop for a shore lunch and a beer or two, return to the river.  You'll love it.  And take someone out to enjoy it with you; the boats hold two fishermen comfortably. 

Let me know if you have any more questions.  I'm busy getting the cabin up and running, but I'll try to check this thread periodically (unless Bru transfers back to Texas).

thanks brother for the info. awesome.

Since several folks are coming up to the Teton area I'll make an entertainment recommendation that my Texas guests always enjoy.  Just across the Teton Pass from Jackson Hole is the little town of Victor, Idaho.  As you come over the pass from Jackson, one of the first buildings you encounter is Grand Teton Brewing, which makes spectacular beers and sells them onsite by the glass, growler, or can/bottle (their double IPA, Lost Continent, aka Lost Consciousness, is my favorite) Through much of the summer the Teton Valley Foundation puts on a series of outdoor concerts every Thursday night.  Here is a link to the 2019 guest lineup:  https://tetonvalleyfoundation.org/music-on-main/.  The concerts are free, although they ask for a donation.  The backdrop to the concerts is the western slope of the Tetons.  You sit out on a thick bluegrass lawn (take along a blanket or folding chair, if they are available to you).  Temperatures in the evenings drop off fast, so it's always fun for us Texans to sit outdoors listening to music in the summer and need to put on a sweatshirt before the concert ends.  A number of food trucks sell their wares, including the aforementioned Grand Teton Brewing.  It's an inexpensive evening where the kids can safely run around while the adults relax and enjoy the scenery and weather. 

• Like 2

When we went we did hikes to Observation Peak as well as Specimen Ridge.  Neither were very difficult, Specimen ridge was definitely less crowded.

We were told that Electric Peak was a good challenging hike, but ran out of time to even give it a try. 

We camped in the park itself and had issues getting into the campgrounds we wanted, it gets really f'ing crowded in the summer.  It took getting up balls early and hustling ass to get one of the first come, first served sites in a decent campground.

Honestly I enjoyed the Tetons more, but both they and Yellowstone should be required visits if you're in that part of the country.

Pato, there is another, lower pass further to the south from Jackson, but it doesn't go by Grand Teton Brewing.  You must have taken Teton Pass.  The pass is even more exciting if you hit Grand Teton Brewing before going over the pass to Jackson.

9 hours ago, Kahuna said:

Since several folks are coming up to the Teton area I'll make an entertainment recommendation that my Texas guests always enjoy.  Just across the Teton Pass from Jackson Hole is the little town of Victor, Idaho.  As you come over the pass from Jackson, one of the first buildings you encounter is Grand Teton Brewing, which makes spectacular beers and sells them onsite by the glass, growler, or can/bottle (their double IPA, Lost Continent, aka Lost Consciousness, is my favorite) Through much of the summer the Teton Valley Foundation puts on a series of outdoor concerts every Thursday night.  Here is a link to the 2019 guest lineup:  https://tetonvalleyfoundation.org/music-on-main/.  The concerts are free, although they ask for a donation.  The backdrop to the concerts is the western slope of the Tetons.  You sit out on a thick bluegrass lawn (take along a blanket or folding chair, if they are available to you).  Temperatures in the evenings drop off fast, so it's always fun for us Texans to sit outdoors listening to music in the summer and need to put on a sweatshirt before the concert ends.  A number of food trucks sell their wares, including the aforementioned Grand Teton Brewing.  It's an inexpensive evening where the kids can safely run around while the adults relax and enjoy the scenery and weather. 

This is a great suggestion. The man speaks the truth. Great brewery to visit. If you golf I’d tee it up at Teton Springs during the day and then go over to the brewery. 

Also recommend going to the Driggs airport for a Rueben.  

On 6/14/2019 at 8:20 PM, Telegraph_it said:

This is a great suggestion. The man speaks the truth. Great brewery to visit. If you golf I’d tee it up at Teton Springs during the day and then go over to the brewery. 

Also recommend going to the Driggs airport for a Rueben.  

Teton Springs is under new ownership and the greens are trashed.  

Driggs airport... yes

Knotty Pine

On 6/16/2019 at 2:23 AM, Drunk Stoner said:

Teton Springs is under new ownership and the greens are trashed.  

Driggs airport... yes

Knotty Pine

When did ownership change? I played the course last September and thought it was well done. I’ll be there in 4 days (thank you Lord. I cannot handle this humidity no more) and I will report back. 

21 hours ago, Telegraph_it said:

When did ownership change? I played the course last September and thought it was well done. I’ll be there in 4 days (thank you Lord. I cannot handle this humidity no more) and I will report back. 

Several years ago.  They used to have immaculate greens.  Most of the courses in the area are poa and the new owners did nothing to stop the aggression, man.  Considering how great they were, the unevenness with the poa is why I called it trash.  If they’re tightly mowed, they’re still great.  Otherwise it is a great facility...

Buddy played Teton springs today. Said the greens were a little rough. Courses from salt lake to Spokane lost greens this winter. Too much snow at the wrong time. 

He played teton pines yesterday said it was perfect. (my favorite course up there and I've played them all). 

He's playing huntsman tomorrow. I'll report back. 

Stayed in Driggs at an airbnb place a couple nights last September when we visited GTNP.  Wish I'd known about the airport recs before we went.  Ate one night at a Mexican place (Agave), which was alright.  O'Rourkes was pretty good for breakfast -- big portions.  That's all I got.   

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Park staff said the incident happened Monday afternoon after a group of roughly 50 visitors came within 5-10 feet of the bull near the Observation Point Trail not far from the Old Faithful Geyser. The bison tolerated the crowding for about 20 minutes before charging the onlookers and tossing the girl into the air, according to witnesses.

People are so got damned stupid.

Hopefully your kids are smarter than my brother, and don't fall in the lake.

We went in the mid 90's.  I was 10-11 and he was 9ish.  We camped near the lake and dip shit decided he was getting up at the "butt crack of dawn" to try and fish.  Well, he fell into the damn lake, I had to drag him out, and we wasted half the day in pay showers as our folks tried to get our core temps up and avoid hypothermia.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Booked a few days in Jackson in July the other day.  Going to road trip out, retracing the route we took when I was a kid.  A day in Yellowstone, a day in Grand Teton, and a day in the Black Hills on the way back.  Really looking forward to it.

We're going to do the hike either to Surprise/Ampitheater lakes, or to Cleft Falls in the adjacent valleys.  Anyone done these before?

31 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Booked a few days in Jackson in July the other day.  Going to road trip out, retracing the route we took when I was a kid.  A day in Yellowstone, a day in Grand Teton, and a day in the Black Hills on the way back.  Really looking forward to it.

We're going to do the hike either to Surprise/Ampitheater lakes, or to Cleft Falls in the adjacent valleys.  Anyone done these before?

Only one day in Yellowstone in July?  You're not going to see much of the park.