Yellowstone

Moby Ric

The best time was in college during field camp. The camp site over had two coach buses full of backpackers from Germany. To put it mildly the German ladies were into the strapping geologists from Texas. We had an amazing two nights there.

It got rowdy. I still don’t know how I functioned the following mornings hiking into avalanche canyon and cascade canyon. 

• Like 1

Great pics, [mention=1546]shnsajax[/mention]. Jenny Lake?
I spent the day not too far south from you, fishing on the Idaho side near Star Valley.

Was Jackson Lake in the Colter Bay. Wife’s pics as I am stuck in Boise for work.

d5ede7b54aea45cb669d6b16c2c4a3fd.jpg

Last night in Boise the sky was impressive though.

7f9d880bd72579948bd9f3f06f6285c1.jpg
  • Like 4

Yellowstone chose its backcountry campsites well. And the system works well. I took then wife of 25 on a trip to roadless geyser area. She loved it. You can get there by canoe, hiking over the Continental Divide or pack animal. The campsites are primitive for the most part. The lake is clear with hungry trout. Beautiful sunsets. Warm tent. The West Texan in me dreams of places like Yellowstone.

Don't forget reservations - back then it was a year in advance. It is the least expensive way to stay in Yellowstone and it is . . . what makes Yellowstone so special. 

Having a secluded geyser basin to carefully explore was awesome.

Texans must have built the hiking trail - the first geyser as you start your hike is to the very cool Lone Star Geyser. That's when all the other people turn back and the the trail becomes secluded. We saw no one on the trail. You hike through a gentle cool forest and down to the lake. It's a long hike. But there are interim campsites available for those who want to take it easy. When the lake finally opens up for viewing, she is picturesque. It is a big lake. 2nd largest in the park. And it is not on any road.

Conservationists took good care of Yellowstone. 

• Like 3

So we're heading to Sheridan, WY for a baptism next week (impromptu) and decided we can't take the kids all the way out there and not hit up Yellowstone.  The way our schedule sits with the baptism and having to get back to IN for summer school that my wife is teaching, we have 2 nights and 3 days to spend in the park.  We booked an Airbnb in Cody.  

I am going in on this blind and after reading this thread and other sites, I am feeling overwhelmed with just how much there is. 

I'll take recs on anything from restaurants to eat at, stuff to do, sites to see, roads to travel, etc.  Our sons are 10 and 3, so we can't do stuff that's too extreme.   

1 hour ago, BlueGreySky said:

So we're heading to Sheridan, WY for a baptism next week (impromptu) and decided we can't take the kids all the way out there and not hit up Yellowstone.  The way our schedule sits with the baptism and having to get back to IN for summer school that my wife is teaching, we have 2 nights and 3 days to spend in the park.  We booked an Airbnb in Cody.  

I am going in on this blind and after reading this thread and other sites, I am feeling overwhelmed with just how much there is. 

I'll take recs on anything from restaurants to eat at, stuff to do, sites to see, roads to travel, etc.  Our sons are 10 and 3, so we can't do stuff that's too extreme.   

If Cody is your home base, get up super early one morning and hit the Lamar River Valley to catch some amazing wildlife.  Get there by like 5am.  I'm sure @Pato del Muerto has some good recs too.

PM sent. To be at lamar valley by 5 am you will need to leave Cody by 3 am and don’t take the park, take the Chief Joseph Memorial Highway to Cooke City Montana and go in the NE gate. But that drive would be wasted in the dark, not to mention a little scary with all the switchbacks. 

So he should do it?

Don't mess with the tatonka.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/29/california-woman-gored-bison-yellowstone-national-park/3283467001/

A California woman was gored by a bison at Yellowstone National Park after approaching too closely to try to take a photo, the second incident in less than six weeks between a visitor and one of the park’s iconic hulking animals.

The 72-year-old woman received immediate medical care from rangers before being flown via helicopter to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls, according to a news release Monday from the National Park Service. She was injured on June 25 at her Bridge Bay Campground campsite.

“The series of events that led to the goring suggest the bison was threatened by being repeatedly approached to within 10 feet,” Yellowstone’s Senior Bison Biologist Chris Geremia said in a statement. “Bison are wild animals that respond to threats by displaying aggressive behaviors like pawing the ground, snorting, bobbing their head, bellowing, and raising their tail. If that doesn’t make the threat (in this instance it was a person) move away, a threatened bison may charge.”

On 6/26/2020 at 1:43 AM, washparkhorn said:

Yellowstone and the Tetons are world class magnificent. Glacier and Yosemite are tier 1A.

I love Glacier. https://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htmimage.png.52c0bc5b8baa53901cff413d699af1a4.png

image.png.d6209d31ad40e641f108dfa01df93f92.png

Granted, I was older when I went to Glacier, and we actually hiked in and camped, but I thought Glacier was more spectacular than Yellowstone, personally.  I would slide Glacier into that world class magnificent and Yellowstone into 1A.  We'll see if this coming visit changes my mind.

9 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Did both in one trip a few years ago.  I preferred the scenery of Glacier (fewer trees) and the abundance of wildlife in Yellowstone.

Yeah, scenery is always going to win over wildlife for me.  I have yet to have that wildlife experience that affected me the way incredible natural scenery does.

Want to check out Glacier at some point.  Been to Yellowstone and Grand Tetons twice now.  The last time was almost exactly a year ago.  Took my granddaughters with us.  Prior to the second trip I have maintained that the Scenery of the Tetons is a cut above that of Yellowstone.  Still true ...  However, getting to see Yellowstone with snow on the ground blew me away this last trip.  Watching my grand kids play in the snow in June is a memory I will never get.  There are others as well.  

• Like 2

Tetons definitely are more drastic a landscape than Yellowstone. But they don’t have the falls and the canyon. 
I think it’s in our nature to like the sound of moving water, because it means clean drinking water, food source, transportation, bathing, power source. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 2

Tetons definitely are more drastic a landscape than Yellowstone. But they don’t have the falls and the canyon. 
I think it’s in our nature to like the sound of moving water, because it means clean drinking water, food source, transportation, bathing, power source. 

This and a good campfire hit me right in the soul in a way I can’t describe. Has to be primitive. I’ve been on the search for lasting meaning in my life since my divorce and the thing that rings most true and most meaningful is a connection to nature. My kids mean a lot to me but humans live with and without kids and we all can still have meaning. It’s a hodge-podge for sure and kids are a part of it along with other things too but connection to the natural world is definitely at the top for me.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, troph said:

This and a good campfire hit me right in the soul in a way I can’t describe. Has to be primitive. I’ve been on the search for lasting meaning in my life since my divorce and the thing that rings most true and most meaningful is a connection to nature. My kids mean a lot to me but humans live with and without kids and we all can still have meaning. It’s a hodge-podge for sure and kids are a part of it along with other things too but connection to the natural world is definitely at the top for me.

Have you read John Muir?

also, my wife has a PhD in eco psychology so we are very attuned to our connection to nature. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The Canyon is spectacular for sure.  This last trip we took the south part of the loop out of West Yellowstone through the park to come down to the Tetons.  Got caught up in about a two hour delay because of bison being bison.  We were stopped next to a\the river.  It was the most pleasant delay I have ever experienced in a car. :)

Have you read John Muir? also, my wife has a PhD in eco psychology so we are very attuned to our connection to nature.  

No I’ll check him out. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard is one of my all time favs. The naturalist style of prose and her interweaving natural observations into her life is just phenomenal. Highly recommend.  

Reading this one now, the perspective was great while reading streams on our last trip.

29e544c4429732915f07c93f76bf187c.jpg

And your wife sounds bad ass, wish y’all lived closer I’d stalk her until she agreed to be my friend. Jk about the stalking part.

1 hour ago, troph said:

No I’ll check him out. Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard is one of my all time favs. The naturalist style of prose and her interweaving natural observations into her life is just phenomenal. Highly recommend.  

Reading this one now, the perspective was great while reading streams on our last trip.

29e544c4429732915f07c93f76bf187c.jpg

And your wife sounds bad ass, wish y’all lived closer I’d stalk her until she agreed to be my friend. Jk about the stalking part.

I might recommend:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FL3IPDA/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

and (not by Muir, but about him)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJD9NOK/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1#:~:text=OK-,John Muir and the Ice That Started a Fire%3A How,America Paperback – May 1%2C 2015&text=Find all the books%2C read about the author%2C and more.&text=A dual biography of both,America to embrace its wilderness.

• Like 1

One of my many favorite Muir quotes, from My First Summer in the Sierra:

"Life seems neither long nor short, and we take no more heed to save time or make haste than do the trees and stars. This is true freedom, a good practical sort of immortality.”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

When we first got married my wife and did a good MT trip. 2007 I think. Flew into Great Falls, did Missouri River by canoe from Fort Benton for 6 days. Then rented a car and did Glacier/Wateeton. Good times. Thinking of taking kids (11 and 9 next summer) and doing it again. I want to add an ice cave.

Just booked a fishing charter for a day next week.  All the plans coming into place and we're all pretty excited.  And as a PSA for anyone else going, right now on the interior, northern loop there's a section between Tower-Roosevelt and the Canyon Village that's completely closed for construction.  That makes getting to the Lamar Valley a little trickier coming from the east gate.  

4 hours ago, BlueGreySky said:

Just booked a fishing charter for a day next week.  All the plans coming into place and we're all pretty excited.  And as a PSA for anyone else going, right now on the interior, northern loop there's a section between Tower-Roosevelt and the Canyon Village that's completely closed for construction.  That makes getting to the Lamar Valley a little trickier coming from the east gate.  

But not from Cody. 120 north to Chief Joseph highway to 212 west. 

Depends on if you want the drive thru experience or if you want to hike some trails. 2 days minimum, but I think people could spend 4 days in there more immersive and enjoy it. 
for instance:  https://www.hellsaroarinoutfitters.com/summer/yellowstone-horseback-riding/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9IX4BRCcARIsAOD2OB1cye7eZNHZavrT-BQG5Lj952ovTqcOOrTjIl2xub_GnkYzMZ6NSGYaAqz8EALw_wcB

full day horseback ride

And https://www.yellowstonenationalparklodges.com/adventure/water-adventures/guided-fishingsightseeing-charter-boats/

guided fishing for up to 12 hours. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, luke duke said:

What’s the minimum amount of time you would recommend staying at/near Yellowstone?

Last summer I did 4 days in Yellowstone, 3 in Grand Teton.  It was JUST enough time to squeeze in all the big stuff and a couple of hikes.  That is the minimum I would do.

• Hook 'Em 1

Spent all day in the park yesterday. There’s several construction areas that lead to slow downs, and canyon road is closed all summer. I’ll post a pic of the updated map they gave me at the gate later. 

So is the canyon off limits?

6 days out. Pumped.

On 7/5/2020 at 4:48 PM, NIUHuskies said:

Any updates about COVID travel restrictions?  We are headed out on the 28th to Yellowstone via Boise.

Not to my knowledge as of right now and I don't see Wyoming placing that restriction yet either. On the other hand, most everything has opened back up here in Boise with bars and nightclubs being the exception. The city made masks mandatory in most downtown outdoor settings and indoors, greenbelt is optional. Most every restaurant and brewery is open and spaced out well. Also if never seen before the falls in Twins Falls are worth the stop.

So is the canyon off limits?

6 days out. Pumped.

Canyon Village is still accessible, but between there and Tower Junction is completely closed.

You can still access Uncle Tom’s, Artist Point, Inspiration Point, etc.

I think previously they had it open from CV to Dunraven Pass or so, but not anymore.

• Like 1

also, from yesterday:

and,  change of plans- we're staying south and doing Grand Tetons tomorrow so I won't be able to check out how much of canyon falls you can get to right now.

Did not get a picture of the bald eagle that flew above my truck on our way out.

2012-01-01 00.00.07-13.jpg

2012-01-01 00.00.13-2.jpg

2012-01-01 00.00.22-6.jpg

2012-01-01 00.00.25-6.jpg

2012-01-01 00.01.14-1.jpg

2012-01-01 00.02.07.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 1:43 AM, washparkhorn said:

Yellowstone and the Tetons are world class magnificent. Glacier and Yosemite are tier 1A.

I love Glacier. https://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htmimage.png.52c0bc5b8baa53901cff413d699af1a4.png

image.png.d6209d31ad40e641f108dfa01df93f92.png

Departing 1 week from today for Glacier.

Doing a lot of research but itinerary still mostly open at this point (even though the park is not, sadly).

would love and tips/tricks/suggestions.

In particular, any fly fishing outfitters (I’m novice level fwiw)

I’ll add tangentially that if you are going through Cody and are a whiskey drinker, stop at Libations and pick up a bottle of Single Track for $75. There’s wheat and rye. I prefer the wheat but both are outstanding, and distilled in Cody in what I believe is a one man operation. The current bottles are 110 proof but so smooth. 
no idea if it’s on shelves in Jackson or other areas. 

13 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I’ll add tangentially that if you are going through Cody and are a whiskey drinker, stop at Libations and pick up a bottle of Single Track for $75. There’s wheat and rye. I prefer the wheat but both are outstanding, and distilled in Cody in what I believe is a one man operation. The current bottles are 110 proof but so smooth. 
no idea if it’s on shelves in Jackson or other areas. 

According to Google, The Local is temporarily closed.  You have any other recs for Sunday night dinner in Cody?