Yellowstone

Moby Ric

Meh. There’s good regional beers, but the brewpubs in town are ok.  If you want canned beers, look for red lodge ails, blacktooth (that’s in Sheridan I think so maybe you can go there?) and grand Teton brewing. 
I drink blacktooth saddle bronc brown ale mostly. 

I plan on hitting Snake River, Grand Teton, and the Melvin tap room in Jackson.

Not passing through Sheridan. Crossing the Bighorns at Buffalo and coming through 10 Sleep. Did that drive as a kid. First time being in real mountains. Made a huge impression
  • Like 1

I will say that there is a tap room in town by Wyold West brewing that is out of Powell, WY. Their setup is that you get a card to put on each tap, and it measures your pour and charges accordingly. So you could pour one swallow of a beer to taste it before committing to a whole glass.  They do serve food as well, and I assume they are open. They we’re running 8 taps I think the last time I was in there, which was probably last fall. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I plan on hitting Snake River, Grand Teton, and the Melvin tap room in Jackson.

Not passing through Sheridan. Crossing the Bighorns at Buffalo and coming through 10 Sleep. Did that drive as a kid. First time being in real mountains. Made a huge impression

Ten sleep has a brewery, if you want to break up your drive a bit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Madison river out of Montana is good too. I like their honey rye.

its too bad they cancelled beer fest this year, it has all the regional breweries and many of the best from the west coast.  Would have been about this weekend. 

Yeah, I definitely don't have the time for a beer fest on this trip, but I love to sample the local suds wherever I travel.

That Ten Sleep brewery will be perfectly timed for a beer break.

17 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Just got done going for a jog in Cody. Scoped the main drag. Looks fun.

I’m digging this dry heat. SUV said 95 when we got into town and it feels like 80 back home.

Remember that when the high is 71 tomorrow. Bring jackets. Lungs ok running at a dry 5000 ft?  Most of our guests wake up snorting up dried snot and blood the whole time from the dry air. 

maybe i should start warning people to bring a humidifier for their room. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Remember that when the high is 71 tomorrow. Bring jackets. Lungs ok running at a dry 5000 ft?  Most of our guests wake up snorting up dried snot and blood the whole time from the dry air. 

maybe i should start warning people to bring a humidifier for their room. 

I packed for much colder weather.

Lungs were fine. I’ve been hiking the Colorado 14ers since 2000, as well as frequently snowboarding out there, and I acclimate to altitude relatively quickly for a flat lander.

Be sure to take the Lake Butte Overlook turnoff ahead a few miles. There’s a restroom there too. Sign can really sneak up on you. 

I’m just getting this now. We saw the overlook and chuckled that it couldn’t beat the view we already had. Whoops.

I think we got as much out of a single day as possible. Saw a shit ton of bison, no bears. Climbed Avalanche, then hit the Canyon, Grand Prismatic, and Old Faithful. Was stunned at the amount of foreign tourists that still managed to get here. Park was far from overrun, but still pretty damn busy.

3ca0b4bbfd707b41ecd0e3f9bc919f7d.jpg

13919d1777aeb000d49b4fcbd738d188.jpg

4b5856c494511dd3b561ed8099c20519.jpg

56d909f1a5367aded8c73dd99f294f91.jpg

c354afe1077bfa433cbe81bf7446c647.jpg

0a2322888950cd3b3723b3587c6ada96.jpg

80ad0d981719a9477e34b06f500eb0c0.jpg

Jackson tonight. Grand Teton tomorrow.
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

Grand Teton today. Jackson didn’t wow me last night, but we weren’t out long. Killing time at Roadhouse Brewing while wife shops. I’m sure COVID doesn’t help, but the town feels stuffy, and it’s pretty expensive. Cody is more my style.

2f122c6942b93944baa85568a3a014e3.jpg

502a177cced7b4c9c81497d943322f68.jpg

828ca7646e7ef24379968f2563e7a309.jpg

4454876a0758a6a3860d64fbbe143ee0.jpg

• Like 3

How was Grand Prismatic?  It was too steamy to see when I went last year.  Not sure why we didn't do the Fairy Falls Trail up above for a better view.

This is basically what I thought. It was still pretty cool. We didn’t do Fairy Falls because we didn’t realize that was the overview access until we were heading to Old Faithful

I dislike Jackson. Very pretentious. Cody can be a little rednecky but it’s more my speed for sure. 

I live in butt fuck nowhere Iowa. I have to drive 60 miles to hit the closest municipality of more than 10,000 people.

A little (but not excessively) rednecky is precisely my wheelhouse
  • Like 1

Jackson has changed. For the good or worse is in the eye of the beholder,  and I've had plenty of great nights at the million dollar. 

Places change, but memories probably smooth out current reality. 

Sounds like a great trip so far,  though. Enjoy this side of the country. There is nothing like it. 

• Like 1

Well what a wild ride so far.

Monday we got to Cody, took it easy.  I went and got a bottle of Single Track Rye per Pato's rec.  Kids played at a park, we walked the main street and had lunch before checking into our rental and getting supplies and groceries.  I took my oldest to the rodeo and wife and youngest stayed home. 

Today we left just after 6am and headed to the east gate.  Silbey pass may be the most daunting thing I've ever driven.  But, we made it in and shortly after getting to end of the descent and circling the lake we saw a grizzly digging for grubs or something.  From there it was just a ridiculous day.  We stuck to the lower loop and stopped at all the big sites, looked around, hiked.  Grand Prismatic from above is the highlight for me. The only thing we missed was Mud Volcano, but we are getting up earlier  tomorrow and going to the north end of the Hayden Valley, taking our time to come south before our fishing trip at 10am. 

For veterans of Yellowstone like Pato and others... here's my question about 14 going east to Sheridan (not 14a).  Is that stretch more or less challenging than the east gate from entrance to the bridge?  I am not a huge fan of mountain driving and it really racks my anxiety, but I've got my playlist that I use for those times and am beginning to find ways to just deal with it. 

• Like 1

The rye is solid. I’ll pick up a bottle to take home too. This one is not as full as I’d like any more.

Well looks like we’ll be taking 16 back to Sheridan. Last week I did do the drive up 14 on the east side of bighorn (only to high country - didn’t do the descent).

I fully admit to being a wimp at this. Kudos to all you who haul trailers or drive RVs on these roads.

It’s humbling to find something that so many people do that can kick your ass. I did feel good finishing the drive in and out of the East gate today. Not something I thought I could do a week ago. Was looking at going all the way around to Billings and the north gate.

The rye is solid. I’ll pick up a bottle to take home too. This one is not as full as I’d like any more.

Well looks like we’ll be taking 16 back to Sheridan. Last week I did do the drive up 14 on the east side of bighorn (only to high country - didn’t do the descent).

I fully admit to being a wimp at this. Kudos to all you who haul trailers or drive RVs on these roads.

It’s humbling to find something that so many people do that can kick your ass. I did feel good finishing the drive in and out of the East gate today. Not something I thought I could do a week ago. Was looking at going all the way around to Billings and the north gate.

16 descending East should be a fairly mellow mountain drive to help you build some confidence.

I would recommend you avoid being out here in winter. I’ve never been phased by driving in the mountains in the summer, but I’ve honestly thought I was going to die on a couple winter drives.

Pato’s chuckling at all of us.

On 7/14/2020 at 10:11 AM, Biff Tannen said:

How was Grand Prismatic?  It was too steamy to see when I went last year.  Not sure why we didn't do the Fairy Falls Trail up above for a better view.

Never having seen it before I thought it was breathtaking.  The view from above is amazing.  And, it did seem to be more steamy than photographs.

16 descending East should be a fairly mellow mountain drive to help you build some confidence.

I would recommend you avoid being out here in winter. I’ve never been phased by driving in the mountains in the summer, but I’ve honestly thought I was going to die on a couple winter drives.

It's not just Pato that is chuckling at you.

11 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
17 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's not just Pato that is chuckling at you.

Wookies don't chuckle. It's more of a guffaw.

• Like 1

Headed there in a week, how busy was it? Can you move?

Plans are:

DAY 1 Boise to Emigrant 

DAY 2 Old Faithful, Grand Prismatic, West Yellowstone 

DAY 3 Lamar Valley, Mammoth Falls

DAY 4 Yellowstone Lake area

DAY 5 Bozeman, Helena

DAY 6 Helena to Boise

DAY 7 and 8 Boise

Headed to Southeast Montana/Yellowstone at the end of August. Wife got the travel bug after our Ireland trip was cancelled and since we are homeschooling the kids, figured we could make a week out of our trip. We've been talking about this trip for a few years now so I'm excited to finally make it happen. Got a campsite in Grant Village for our two nights there. 

Just got back a few days ago and was surprised at how uncrowded it was.  There were still plenty of people, but none of the traffic jams and other nightmares you hear about.  And there were absolutely no tour buses or hordes of Asian tourists.

On balance, this is probably the summer to go.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/22/2020 at 11:28 AM, RamjetFDO said:

Grand Prismatic from 8 years ago:

"Eye level": 

2026493422_GrandPrismatic(7).thumb.JPG.f98f31a303a7c90f6dd5642ada4ee95e.JPG

... and from above (Fairy Falls trail) (before they built the overlook platform -- had to climb up there the old-fashioned way)

1153323798_GrandPrismatic-fromatophillonFairyFallstrail(4).thumb.jpg.b3b344dc4412999ec65b09149eefbc11.jpg

378665761_GrandPrismatic-fromatophillonFairyFallstrail(5).thumb.jpg.542dcaaae49f94108d4bb8a3fb8c4774.jpg

Had a great trip there (and Glacier and GTNP) a couple years ago, but the morning we visited Grand Prismatic it was overcast and even sleeting a bit, which effectively nullified a hike up to the overlook to get this awesome view.  That, along with a couple issues in Glacier, was the big bummer of an otherwise-fantastic trip.  

Just got back a few days ago and was surprised at how uncrowded it was.  There were still plenty of people, but none of the traffic jams and other nightmares you hear about.  And there were absolutely no tour buses or hordes of Asian tourists.
On balance, this is probably the summer to go.

Great to hear! I leave in two weeks.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:53 PM, BlueGreySky said:

Bump for probably nobody, but I’m taking the camper to Sibley lake in the bighorns in about a month.  The quickest route is 14a. 
my neighbor strongly suggested I take 14 instead. I found this:

http://www.whp.dot.state.wy.us/home/ports/mountain_road_information.html