Increase in marketing calls on cell phone? How to get rid of this?

RD3

Within the last few months, I have seen a big-time increase in marketing calls to my cell phone.  Like 6 per day.

Anyone else?

And I can one-by-one "block" these callers but it seems that they have a bunch of other similar numbers to call from.  How can I get off of these lists???

Any call I get that isn't from our home office's area code, or isn't in my contacts, I send it to VM. Listen to the VM and if it isn't legit, I block the number.

That wouldn’t seem to work for shit since 99% of the spam calls I get (basically everything other than political fundraising calls) are ghosting not only my area code but my prefix.

30 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Any call I get that isn't from our home office's area code, or isn't in my contacts, I send it to VM. Listen to the VM and if it isn't legit, I block the number.

I don't answer any number that I don't recognize -- those bastards are always spoofing to make it look like a local call.  If it's legit they'll leave a message. 

1 hour ago, DanRydell said:

That wouldn’t seem to work for shit since 99% of the spam calls I get (basically everything other than political fundraising calls) are ghosting not only my area code but my prefix.

No kidding. The other night I called myself. Maybe it was the savant in me, but somehow I knew it wasn't legit. It must've been my sixth or maybe even my seventh sense.

Image result for i think it was my sixth or maybe even seventh sense meme

I use RoboKiller for my app.

It even auto-answers known spam callers and you can pick semi-humorous auto-bots that screw will the callers in the background.

You can even go back and listen to the exchange if you care to.

Not sure if it is any better or worse than  other apps but it is what I use.

In iOS you can go to settings, do not disturb, allow calls from, all contacts.  Everything else automatically goes to vm. From there I just read the message and decide if I want to call back...

I don't answer any number that I don't recognize -- those bastards are always spoofing to make it look like a local call.  If it's legit they'll leave a message. 
This. I rarely ever answer my phone. If I get a legitimate message, I'll return the call. It is annoying though.

There are no lists. Everyone's number is being grabbed for these calls. That Do Not Call Registry was used for legit marketing calls from legit companies. And it was against the law for them to call you. There isn't much they can do since they are all originating overseas and they keep spoofing their number. I can't tell you how many numbers I have on my auto reject. I don't use any apps but now a lot of carriers will detect these and display it as Scam Likely when the call is coming through. They also love to spoof the number to where it's very similar to yours. Same area code and first 3 digits. I have even heard of people having their exact number call them. It throws them off so much they decide to answer to see what it is. It is out of control these days across the country with this shit.

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

It even auto-answers known spam callers and you can pick semi-humorous auto-bots that screw will the callers in the background.

That actually sounds great.  Get some Jerky Boys type of responses.  "Look jerky, I don't need to talk to you!  Get Brett Weir I said!"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

I use robokiller too. Works great. Some of the pranks are gold. 

If the FCC gave a damn, I don’t think it would be that hard to stop calls from overseas that look like they originate inside the country. Then go hard at the calls originating in the country and throw some people in jail. No, not fine them; throw them in jail. But nobody gives a shit.

If the FCC gave a damn, I don’t think it would be that hard to stop calls from overseas that look like they originate inside the country. Then go hard at the calls originating in the country and throw some people in jail. No, not fine them; throw them in jail. But nobody gives a shit.

This is where we should be using drone strikes. Start blowing up these overseas call centers and I bet it stops pretty quick.
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Southland said:

Same here. That always tips me off that it is a spam call.

That's interesting.  I get a lot of calls with my AC and prefix that I never answer.  My number also happens to be somewhat similar, apparently, to a realtor in Arlington (when unknown to me numbers leave messages, most often it's something about an open house or whatever), so I just thought a lot of people with Sprint in the Metroplex were calling that realtor.

I have also received several calls with the caller ID "Testing I Alpha," under different numbers, several with ac and prefix.  Any idea what that's all about?

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 hours ago, XYZ said:

I’m in this camp.  And add the FTC to the list of who should be stopping it.  The callers are misrepresenting who they are and what they’re selling.  Can’t the major carriers work together to validate the caller before putting them through? 

• Like 1

sad that so many have moved to a point where we don't answer unknown numbers.  You actually should want to talk to unknown people, who are legitimately calling you.   Ask any parent if they want to ignore an unknown number.  Could be a teacher or even a stranger who is helping their kid.   For me if my dogs get loose, someone may call me by seeing my phone number on my dogs' collars.  I don't answer and they choose to not leave a message.  I missed out on getting them back quickly.  

there should be a free, simple method for a caller to prove they're legitimate.  in the past, the long distance costs gave some legitimacy to the caller.  A phone bank in India couldn't afford to talk to thousands of Americans each day.  We're now harmed by our efficiencies.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

sad that so many have moved to a point where we don't answer unknown numbers.  You actually should want to talk to unknown people, who are legitimately calling you.   Ask any parent if they want to ignore an unknown number.  Could be a teacher or even a stranger who is helping their kid.   For me if my dogs get loose, someone may call me by seeing my phone number on my dogs' collars.  I don't answer and they choose to not leave a message.  I missed out on getting them back quickly.  

100% agreed with you. With kids in school, you never know if the call is from a teacher or the school nurse.  So I field these unknown calls and it can be frustrating b/c 95% of them are spam.  Of course that 5% has been the school nurse and fielding that call makes the 95% worth it.

BUT this app has worked so far.  I have had 2 so far and it is showed as "Suspected Spam".  I filtered that out.

I got a call yesterday evening that popped up with a red flag and identified as telemarketer.  I thought it would actually block calls, but maybe not.

Some it does block. Others it just warns you about. You can also manually block a number in the app if the same one is calling repeatedly.