Carnoustie - 2018 Open Championship

Wally Fairway

The course will be dry and firm

Image result for carnoustie layout

and it is the last week to qualify - either at the John Deere (1 spot) or the Scottish Open (3 spots)

And never forget the fun and excitement that JVdV brought to the 1999 Open at Carnoustie

here is the link to his 18th hole on Sunday

This stretch of golf is one of my favorites of the year, Irish/Scottish/British Open  in a row. The finish at the Irish was a perfect ending to an enjoyable tournament with Knox going from the shit to sinking a Bomb. Fox hits a beaut off the tee and tickles the edge from 5 feet for the win...Knox steps on Fox' throat for the W.

Tonight at 8PM on GC, DVR set: 

Edited by Goodman

22 hours ago, Goodman said:

Wally, do you live and play at a private in Michigan? I ask as I have a colleague who is an MSU grad and golf nut in the Bloomfield Hills area.

Yes and no.
I wish I was a member in the Bloomfield area; I've played there a couple of times and it is a great track. It has been about 10 years since I was invited.
I've been trying to get me an invite to play Crystal Downs, maybe your buddy can hook me up {LOL}

I was in an Internet cafe in Madrid 21 years ago trying to see if Justin Leonard was able to pull off the victory. 

I believe that the final Sunday fell in the July 17th to July 21st range. (July 20th?) because I had been up in Pamplona from the night of the 12th to the afternoon of the 14th and I feel like the 14th fell on a Monday. 

Anyway, I think that the visuals of players try to tame some links in the middle of gusts of wind carved out of grassy rolling hills is golf at its most rugged.

(Visuals of Augusta National is golf at its most social elite.)

On 7/9/2018 at 12:51 PM, Wally Fairway said:

The course will be dry and firm

Image result for carnoustie layout

and it is the last week to qualify - either at the John Deere (1 spot) or the Scottish Open (3 spots)

Looks like Austin's maybe-site for the soccer stadium (or poorz housing, maybe they should build some Habitat For Humanity houses on that thing):
soccer-stadium-location-0040*750xx2997-1

Pairings and tee times posted - https://www.theopen.com/TeeTimes#!/R1

All players go off the #1 tee
Of note -
Spieth, Rose, Aphibarnrat - 9:58
Rahm, Rickie, Chris Wood - 10:09
Rory, Leishman, Thorbjorn Olesen - 12:53
DJ, Noren, Hoffman - 13:04
JT, Monlinari, Grace - 13:26
Tiger, Masuyama, Knox - 15:21

Jordan should be 2-3 hours into his post round practice when the last group tees off at 16:16

note: times listed are Carnoustie time, so adjust your alarm clocks accordingly

Every time this damn thing comes to Carnoustie we have to relive JVDV again. I just hate watching it because it's so dumb. Dumbest thing i've ever seen on a golf course.

I felt way worse for Tom Watson. I still have an irrational hatred for Stewart Cink over that.

Every time this damn thing comes to Carnoustie we have to relive JVDV again. I just hate watching it because it's so dumb. Dumbest thing i've ever seen on a golf course.

I felt way worse for Tom Watson. I still have an irrational hatred for Stewart Cink over that.
Carnoustie hosted last in 2007, it's been a while

Ok, what's in your bag? 

For those expecting the i500's to feel like a 1-piece forging, well that is not what they are. IMO they feel good, not close to mizzy but they are not claiming to be. Look, feel, sound are all subjective.

As someone who tries to support Ping, this is the best top to bottom product they have produced in my lifetime. I gave a number of OEM's a try over the last 5 years and am very glad to be back gaming Ping. G400 Drivers/Irons/Wedges/Vault 2.0 Putters are top notch IMO. I'm also not a "stick", my index ranges between 3-5 throughout the year so I welcome the tech these provide. Ping players have been on a roll lately. Here is a good listen for those who are interested in the tech behind these.

Edited by Goodman

4 hours ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

I dont think they look good in person at all. Feel is dead, and they sound like tin cans

Yeah they are ugly to my eye. It’s been quite a while since they made anything worth a damn. Not a lot of top talent using their equipment these days although Bubba is having a nice season.

Weather looks to be pretty tame, by Open Championship standards, some passing (slight chance of) showers, mild temperatures and winds around 10 mph (maybe slightly higher on Sunday).

Watching some of the pretourney talking heads blabbing on - they are saying players are looking at be very aggressive, hitting lots of drivers as the rough and heather are very dry and the ball is playable from off the fairway. Still have to avoid the bunkers, but the greens have been watered and are supposed to be receptive to shots holding and not having  excessive runout on the putting surface.

Time to set that early alarm for tomorrow morning, best golf TV viewing event of the year - especially if you can get some Euro webcast (reminder to self, download the Open Championship app for my phone and pc)

Hopefully  Jordan can get his shit together.

i think tommy fleetwood might have a pretty good shot. he plays pretty good at this place.

gonna be pretty hard to get much work done the next couple days. i love these two days.. wake up at 4 and it is already on and you can watch ALL of it.

the gottdamm masters needs to televise the whole thing. 

On 7/16/2018 at 10:19 AM, Pam Cummings said:

It was so egregiously dumb that I conclude there was something wrong with him and actually feel really sorry for a French dude. Everyone who has met him subsequent to ‘99 probably is like, “Oh, you’re THAT guy.”

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, llanoflash said:

Hopefully  Jordan can get his shit together.

i think tommy fleetwood might have a pretty good shot. he plays pretty good at this place.

gonna be pretty hard to get much work done the next couple days. i love these two days.. wake up at 4 and it is already on and you can watch ALL of it.

the gottdamm masters needs to televise the whole thing. 

Fleetwood opened at 20-1.  That's a pretty good bet actually.

6 hours ago, Rex Kramer said:

It was so egregiously dumb that I conclude there was something wrong with him and actually feel really sorry for a French dude. Everyone who has met him subsequent to ‘99 probably is like, “Oh, you’re THAT guy.”

True, or maybe he just changed his name to mhil pickelson