Golf Cart Mods

NoRagrets

Here is mine. I love it. Wish I had a lease or ranch to take it to, but it’s been to the coast, and around the neighborhood and stores around town a ton. Next up, I’m considering installing a sub under the back seats, but we will see. I kind of like the quiet but it would be nice for Halloween or the neighborhood park.

30758f9f6051e2138f7197f68ddf7ee7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

• 6 months later...
On 7/6/2020 at 12:03 PM, RichUT said:

e7e9ddd6a82d34d85256cc92bfa342b8.jpg

Bought this guy last week. We’re having a blast with it around the neighborhood. It’s like a social wagon in our neighborhood. I’d bet there are 20+ carts over here now.

Nicely done! I need one of these with maybe some surf board racks for puttering to the marina and back when our house is done.

Edited by troph

1 hour ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Have any of you done a lithium battery swap? My 2008 Yamaha 48v took a power surge and fried the charger. My understanding is that the swap uses a different charger  so I figured to change  it all and get batteries that would last 10-15 years in the bargain. Any thoughts?

Not a swap, but we bought a new cart with lithium batteries. It’s night and day different than regular batteries. Zero maintenance, more power, ability to charge at any charge level without damaging batteries, etc have been a significant improvement. The charger is different, but I think it was about $300 for an extra charger so the price of them isn’t bad.

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

Not a swap, but we bought a new cart with lithium batteries. It’s night and day different than regular batteries. Zero maintenance, more power, ability to charge at any charge level without damaging batteries, etc have been a significant improvement. The charger is different, but I think it was about $300 for an extra charger so the price of them isn’t bad.

Thanks for the reply. Zero maintenance is a big plus in my book.

I have been quoted $1750 and my old batteries/charger with one day turnaround. A new charger and charge meter is included. I was told by another cart firm that isn't currently doing the swaps to be sure that the battery pack is rated to at least 80 amp/hours. They did a few early on and had poor results with less than that. My guy tells me that his pack will be 100 amp hours so I should be good to go. I have been using my 92 ClubCar gasser since last spring. It's reliable as hell but my country club friends look down their noses at me. Can't have that.

Just an FYI - you can now get Texas license plates for your cart.  Plus is that the local sheriff/constable can't give you grief for driving on the streets.  Negative - kids aren't allowed to drive them without a driver's license (not that they could before but I think there is more of a chance of getting a ticket now that it has a plate...)  Also, my HOA can't bitch anymore for it being in the driveway as it's a "licensed" vehicle...

Edited by Grimas
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

I got a cart just because I was bored and wanted something to mod. So far I have redone the seats with foam and new vinyl and done a really ghetto wrap. I am going to roll with it till fall and then likely switch to camo for hunting season. Vinyl wraps are hard as shit. New wheels and 8 ply tires are on the way so it can handle the ranch. I look forward to drunken night hunts for piggies once I get it all setup. It is electric so hoping it is easier to sneak up on shit than the mule or atv.

Before and after pics. I also need to get an extended top in white to match. a65e28e77be2066ffd027874b8cb2f4e.jpgb15cd0aa1ae6380a165d24ccd6bf4d57.jpg

Edited by HOOKEM4
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/5/2021 at 11:49 PM, NoRagrets said:

That looks pretty sweet.

Did you do the wrap yourself?

Shit never saw this. I did it myself. Good from far, far from good. I don't recommend doing it yourself with metallic wrap. It shows every imperfection. Never went camo as I learned a lesson about golf carts...they rattle like crazy and will never sneak up on shit at my rocky af ranch. 😄 

2 hours ago, 3adays said:

Anyone have a golf cart mechanic in the Austin area? Mine has some electrical charging issue and I’m done trying to figure out how to fix it.  Bonus if they do house calls. 

The kensfield guys will handle it. I bet they would come get it and bring it back to you but don't quote me on that. Worth a call though.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread! If any of you guys are looking to upgrade and need parts send me a DM. I run IT for golfcartking.com and can get you much better prices than Amazon or other sites. If you need local in Austin, Kenfield is the place or Golf Cart Zone. All operated by the same family.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 7/1/2022 at 7:45 PM, Rivers said:

Glad I found this thread! If any of you guys are looking to upgrade and need parts send me a DM. I run IT for golfcartking.com and can get you much better prices than Amazon or other sites. If you need local in Austin, Kenfield is the place or Golf Cart Zone. All operated by the same family.

Sweet, I'm looking to upgrade my seats... 2018 EZGO RXV.  I'd like to see them before I buy them.  Any chance either one of these places in Austin have something on their showroom floor?  

Also interested in converting to Lithium Ion... battery prices, Wow!

TIA

28 minutes ago, VonZipper said:

There are at least more options now. When I looked at changing over the boat a few years ago, it was about 5k. It’s down to about half that with some of the other, newer brands. Don’t know if I’d go that route, but at least the option is there. 

7 hours ago, VonZipper said:

Sweet, I'm looking to upgrade my seats... 2018 EZGO RXV.  I'd like to see them before I buy them.  Any chance either one of these places in Austin have something on their showroom floor?  

TIA

About 6 months ago we started a new line of front/rear custom seats that are out now.

https://www.golfcartking.com/complete-custom-front-seats/

Not sure if Kenfield or Golf Cart Zone has them on their showrooms. We just built our new headquarters in Liberty Hill and ramping up production, but we have the seat here to check out. You are more than welcome to swing by. 

Lithium is the future. Kenfield can help you there. 

On 7/3/2022 at 6:07 PM, Rivers said:

About 6 months ago we started a new line of front/rear custom seats that are out now.

https://www.golfcartking.com/complete-custom-front-seats/

Not sure if Kenfield or Golf Cart Zone has them on their showrooms. We just built our new headquarters in Liberty Hill and ramping up production, but we have the seat here to check out. You are more than welcome to swing by. 

Lithium is the future. Kenfield can help you there. 

I'm actually in Georgetown, so Liberty Hill is easy... what's the address?

111 CR 214 Liberty Hill, TX 78642

We are right off 29, huge white building. You can't miss us. 

Our storefront isn't open yet, but I can show you the seats. Thursday or Friday would be best.

Send me a DM when you head out or ask for Rivers when you get here.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m definitely making the switch to Lithium whenever the initial batteries in my Onward are ready to be replaced. Anyone know how long to expect conventional acid batteries to last for a cart used exclusively for residential use? I’ve read they can last for 6+ years if you take care of them and keep the water levels right.

• 3 months later...

Bump.  My EZGO RXV batteries are on their last legs, and I'm thinking about going to lithium.  Anybody done the conversion?

@Rivers, y'all are just parts, not installation, correct?  Any thoughts on making the switch?  My local shop sells factory lithium but doesn't do conversions.

Everyone I've talked to that made the switch loves them. Longer battery life and a lot less weight on the cart. Plus you have don't have to worry about water levels and taking care of the batteries.

Our showroom and body shop just opened and they said they can do the installation.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...
23 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Since we’re bumping this thread - I had one guy tell me to steer clear of lithium, “You wanna burn your house down?” If acid lasts 6-8 years for $1K and lithium lasts 10 years for $2500 I might just do acid again. I’m due.

I wonder if they make some sort of battery insulator that you can put over the battery?  Sort of like the drone battery bags I use when charging those batteries inside.

The weight savings of having one or two batteries seems like a great part of lithium.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

The people I know in my hood who have made the switch have no ragrets

Are they still as prone to fire as they were years ago?   There millions of dollars in boats parked next to 10’s of millions in houses in our coastal spot, most of them sporting lithium batteries.  The weight difference is just so significant on a tournament boat it makes it hard to resist. 

Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are probably safer than regular flooded lead acid batteries. Other lithium chemistries not so much.

A buddy upgraded a cart to LiFePo4s and says it’s a great upgrade. Went a bank of 6 V 230Ah lead acid to 40Ah lithiums and performance and run time is longer.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got one of our carts back from the wife’s nephew after letting him borrow it for 6 months. Took a tiny bit under 4 gallons of water to refill the batteries. I didn’t know they held that much! Can’t believe it was still rolling.

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, Antidean said:

Need recs for rear seat kits for Club Car Precedent. What do you have?

Also, changed battery to ECO lithium a couple of months ago and will never go back to lead acid.

I need details on what it took to switch. I am on the back end of my batteries and need to make the change.

15 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I need details on what it took to switch. I am on the back end of my batteries and need to make the change.

Wasn't that hard.

Had to cut out dividers in the battery tub on one side so the new battery would sit flush. Had to remove the On-board computer and connect a couple of wires together. Had to replace the charging receptacle and run the battery gauge cable to the dash and mount the gauge. 

All in all, it took me about 4 hours. There are several you tube videos on how to do it.

11 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I just put new batteries in my Precedent and stuck with traditional. Couldn’t justify the $3000 vs $1400 on a cart I paid $4K for.

All in with battery, charger, and 48V converter it was $2300. Since I plan on keeping the cart for a long while and lead acid batteries only last 5 years it was worth it to me. Lithium should last me 10-12 years.

Other benefits are that you can charge the battery at any level. You can turn the battery off when not in use. You can charge it anywhere as long as you have access to 110V. The gauge tells you how much battery you have left (analog gauges are wonky IMO).

Most important it gives my wife peace of mind hauling my grandkids around knowing that the batteries won't go dead.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/26/2023 at 7:21 AM, Antidean said:

Wasn't that hard.

Had to cut out dividers in the battery tub on one side so the new battery would sit flush. Had to remove the On-board computer and connect a couple of wires together. Had to replace the charging receptacle and run the battery gauge cable to the dash and mount the gauge. 

All in all, it took me about 4 hours. There are several you tube videos on how to do it.

All in with battery, charger, and 48V converter it was $2300. Since I plan on keeping the cart for a long while and lead acid batteries only last 5 years it was worth it to me. Lithium should last me 10-12 years.

Other benefits are that you can charge the battery at any level. You can turn the battery off when not in use. You can charge it anywhere as long as you have access to 110V. The gauge tells you how much battery you have left (analog gauges are wonky IMO).

Most important it gives my wife peace of mind hauling my grandkids around knowing that the batteries won't go dead.

How long ago was that? Neighbors have made the switch and the same shops around here are charging more now.