Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

10 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Stupid, but quick, question.

I have HBO via my Prime account.  I don't think this has live content.  Does anyone know how long I'm going to have to wait for each episode to get added? 

As soon as it airs, you can start.  I've been watching via prime throughout the series.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Waterboarder said:

As soon as it airs, you can start.  I've been watching via prime throughout the series.

although the bandwidth hit will be enormous this time around, and numerous times in the last 2 seasons i've multiple people complaining that HBO Go or streaming HBO has gone out.

I seem to remember a shaggy post maybe 3 seasons ago where HBO Go went down for something like 2 hours on the season finale day

4 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

although the bandwidth hit will be enormous this time around, and numerous times in the last 2 seasons i've multiple people complaining that HBO Go or streaming HBO has gone out.

I seem to remember a shaggy post maybe 3 seasons ago where HBO Go went down for something like 2 hours on the season finale day

HBO Go is splotchy especially on mobile apps. 
I just switched to Hulu over the winter. Guess we'll see how that goes.

19 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Yeah I’ve had those problems as well. Haven’t had an too much of an issue watching it via PS Vue though.

21 hours ago, tokamak said:

^ good summary. I remember a few minor details differently but that seems pretty comprehensive to me

One other thing to mention is that Bran/TER and Sam know the full truth behind Jon Snow's parentage. Bran saw that he was Lyanna Stark's son and that she and Rhaegar loved each other but thought Jon Snow was still a bastard. But Sam found in an old book that a maester secretly married them. They put the puzzle together in a conversation with each other but as far as we know, no one else knows the truth yet.

21 hours ago, Dr Fear said:

Howland Reed from the TOJ is still alive.

In the very first episode of season 1, Jon Snow was pleading with uncle BenJen to join the Nightswatch.  Jon says he doesn't care about having kids and BenJen says something to the effect of "that's because you don't know what that means".  So I believe that BenJen knows the true parentage of his nephew.  So that means Benjen, Howland Reed and Sam/Bran all know the truth.  

I became aware of the books when only the first 3 had been released.  I read them back to back to back in a ridiculously short period of time and thought that it was easily the best story/world I had ever read about.  Book 4 was a huge disappointment to me for lots of reasons.  Book 5 less so, but still nowhere near the bar the first three books set.

The pace of the books has been absurd for over a decade now.  I have long given up on them; so many characters and story lines in 4/5 that I don't care about it.  1996, 1998, 2000 were the dates the first three books came out.  Very reasonable delays considering the quality and the content of the books.  But then it went to completely off the rails.  Feast needed 5 years and was complete shit comparatively.  Dance with Dragons, which was supposed to be the second half of Feast before he made them two books, needed 6 more years?  And now its 8 years and counting and still no book 6?  My god man.  He's going to die before he gets the complete Song of Ice and Fire put to paper.

When I heard they were making it into a show I was cautiously optimistic.  I was blown away at how good they adopted the books to the screen.  The show quickly passed the books to become canon for me.  I bought the latest money grab GOT set book GRRM released last year but I have not even opened it, much less read a page.

My favorite character is Arya by far.  If I had to list 10 favorite GOT scenes she's in 6 or 7 of them.  I can't wait to see her reunited with Jon and the Hound.  Earlier take on the scene where Arya storms into the tavern/inn to get Needle back was the best in the series I think.  The dialogue was perfect, Hound and Arya acting in the scene, perfect.  "You lived your life for the King.  You're gonna die for some chickens?" "Someone is."

Game recognizes game and both Jon and Hound are heavy hitters and it will be very interesting to gauge their reactions to her.  Her and Brienne's practice in S7 was great, I think this will be even better.  Also hoping for an Arya-Red Woman scene.  If Arya doesn't make it out alive at the end of this, I'm going to take it pretty hard.

I also really hope the wolves are factor for once.  They have really missed the mark with Ghost.  There is a split second of the new trailer around 1:21-1:22 that appears to be a wolf pack on the move...

I can't wait for the 14th.  What a weekend that will be for me.  Spring game at night on Saturday and then GOT premier the next day?  I had a watch party for debut of S1 and I am going to have another one for S8.  I have YouTubeTV...I need to find a reliable HBO stream option ahead of this.  I am worried about load related failure that night. I remember when they rolled out HBO Now.  I had HBO and access to it through Time Warner cable service...they put one of the episodes from S4 I think it was on Now early and the site went down immediately.  What is the consensus best HBO streaming option?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

Benjen is dead.  

And just because Howland was at the tower means he knows the truth.  He likely does, but Ned could have kept it to himself.

We never saw the body - certainly its implied that he is dead but dead characters come back (Jon Snow, The Hound).

They went to the tower to fight and left with a baby.  Howland Reed knows that Jon is Lyanna's baby and could easily determine , since the Kings Guard was at the tower and not with Rhaegar, who the father is.

48 minutes ago, Hozz said:

I also really hope the wolves are factor for once.  They have really missed the mark with Ghost.  There is a split second of the new trailer around 1:21-1:22 that appears to be a wolf pack on the move...

Same. But how many wolves are left? Jon snow/ghost is alive but Robb’s, rickons are dead. Forgot what happened to sansa’s (Possibly dead? But not sure if that was in the book or show) and I think arya’s got away but in S7, Arya finds numeria/wolf pack but only says”that’s not her...”. 

I've been recovering from knee surgery and rewatched the series while bedridden, so this is fresh on my mind.

Sansa's was killed by Ned the first season when Arya's attacked Joffrey.

Arya sent hers away to avoid the punishment for attacking Joffrey.

Bran's died when Bran was escaping from the attack in the Three Eyed Raven's cave.

Robb's was killed at the Red Wedding.

Rickon's was killed by the Karstarks (or Umbers) when they brought Rickon to Ramsey.

Ghost still alive, though underutilized.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Same. But how many wolves are left? Jon snow/ghost is alive but Robb’s, rickons are dead. Forgot what happened to sansa’s (Possibly dead? But not sure if that was in the book or show) and I think arya’s got away but in S7, Arya finds numeria/wolf pack but only says”that’s not her...”. 

At first Arya was disappointed Nymeria would not go with her.  But then she understands why and accepts it.  She says that's not her with respect to Nymeria abandoning her pack to accompany Arya.  She is a pack leader now, not a pet.

Edited by Hozz
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

I've been recovering from knee surgery and rewatched the series while bedridden, so this is fresh on my mind.

Bran's died when Bran was escaping from the attack in the Three Eyed Raven's cave.

The way they did Summer was shitty.  He basically died for nothing.

So it appears that the big fight between man and WW will be at Winterfell. Will Bran have any power over the Night's King? I can't wait to see what happens between the TER and the NK. Winterfell was also built by Bran the Builder, who was the same guy that built the wall. Wonder if any of the same magic he put in the wall is in Winterfell....? However, if the Bran crossing the threshold negating magic theory is true, then that doesn't matter anyways I guess. 

So Jon's army has been mining dragon glass for half a season and one would assume they have a shit ton of weapons made out of dragon glass and 2 dragons. We also know that Jon, Brienne and Sam all have valyrian steel swords, which I assume will all be at winterfell at the time of the battle. Anyone know what happened to Joffrey's VS sword? Any others that we know about? Arya's dagger, but what else?

18 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

So it appears that the big fight between man and WW will be at Winterfell. Will Bran have any power over the Night's King? I can't wait to see what happens between the TER and the NK. Winterfell was also built by Bran the Builder, who was the same guy that built the wall. Wonder if any of the same magic he put in the wall is in Winterfell....? However, if the Bran crossing the threshold negating magic theory is true, then that doesn't matter anyways I guess. 

So Jon's army has been mining dragon glass for half a season and one would assume they have a shit ton of weapons made out of dragon glass and 2 dragons. We also know that Jon, Brienne and Sam all have valyrian steel swords, which I assume will all be at winterfell at the time of the battle. Anyone know what happened to Joffrey's VS sword? Any others that we know about? Arya's dagger, but what else?

I would be fine with an entire hour + of just the final battle leave all of the chit chat and shit for the last episode or two. 

18 minutes ago, Sleepygrad said:

Jaime is now carrying Widow's Wail (Joffrey's sword...he really was a cunt, wasn't he?)

I think that's all the ones we know about.

3 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

I would be fine with an entire hour + of just the final battle leave all of the chit chat and shit for the last episode or two. 

I don't think this is a spoiler at all, but some people might get pissy:

Spoiler

According to that Entertainment Weekly preview article that came out, the main battle this season is going to be the longest continuous battle sequence ever put on film.

22 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Jaime is now carrying Widow's Wail (Joffrey's sword...he really was a cunt, wasn't he?)

Looks like Jorrah has Sam's VS sword in the trailer, which would make sense not to waste it hiding in the crypt. And Arya has the VS dagger. 

15 hours ago, tokamak said:

I believe that the Lannister's took Ned Starks VS sword and refrged 2 swords from that - Jamie & Brienne's

Decided to go back and watch some episodes prior to the new season.  Was going to watch season 7, but decided I had time for seasons 6 & 7.  Red Woman and Mother of Dragons both naked in the first 5 episodes of season 6 is confirmation of making the correct decision.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 7:51 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Stupid, but quick, question.

I have HBO via my Prime account.  I don't think this has live content.  Does anyone know how long I'm going to have to wait for each episode to get added? 

Wait, my wife has an Amazon Prime account. You can watch HBO through that? Or is it an additional charge?

1 hour ago, mb111 said:

I believe that the Lannister's took Ned Starks VS sword and refrged 2 swords from that - Jamie & Brienne's

Yeah, in a roundabout way. Originally, one sword went to Jaime and one went to Joffrey. Jaime gave his to Brienne because reasons. That was one of the reasons why Arya told Brienne to fuck off the first time Brienne found her - because Brienne's sword has a Lannister lion on the hilt. Then when Joffrey died, Jaime started carrying the one that originally went to Joffrey.

I think I read somewhere that the smith that melted the Stark sword and re-forged it was the same smith that Gendry was apprenticing for. Very interesting minor detail if true. Thinking emoji.

18 hours ago, Sleepygrad said:

If they can somehow out do the battle of blackwater bay, the continuous fight at the wall, and the battle of the bastards with this final scene then I can't imagine how epic it's gonna be

Well the guy that directed Hardholme and Battle of the Bastards(what many consider the best 2 battle episodes(although I know Watchers on the Wall and Blackwater are up there too), so I suspect an epic fight.

Also he's directing episodes 3 and 5...which lead many to believe that those 2 episodes will have the big battles in them.

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Wait, my wife has an Amazon Prime account. You can watch HBO through that? Or is it an additional charge?

I have Dish Network, and HBO yanked their channels several months ago.  Just like ABC did during football season.  Seemed like most of you guys' better games were on ABC last fall.  The plus side of being a K-State fan is that I don't have to schedule my day around when they're playing on tv...  Hoping HBO comes back on like ABC finally did.

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Yeah, in a roundabout way. Originally, one sword went to Jaime and one went to Joffrey. Jaime gave his to Brienne because reasons. That was one of the reasons why Arya told Brienne to fuck off the first time Brienne found her - because Brienne's sword has a Lannister lion on the hilt. Then when Joffrey died, Jaime started carrying the one that originally went to Joffrey.

I think I read somewhere that the smith that melted the Stark sword and re-forged it was the same smith that Gendry was apprenticing for. Very interesting minor detail if true. Thinking emoji.

Stay woke!!! Actually that is pretty cool

Besides the two Brothers without Banners guys, did anyone else die when the group went north of the wall to capture the wight?

Anyone else a little disappointed we won't get anymore Varys/Little Finger dialogue? Was really hoping we'd see them meet at least one more time. Milessandra said both she and Varys had to die on Westeros. Guessing Arya does the red woman, but no guesses as to how Varys goes.

Yes, I have HBO Now as a standalone $14.99 a month.   Would be $16.99 through Spectrum.

Although for every other season I've had it through cable and never had to worry about streaming overload issues during episode premieres. Not worried about it, but I know it has happened in the past.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 1:20 PM, Disco Missile said:

I'll add to it:

The Dany storyline:
Dany as we know had her turn as a mini-despot in the East where her slave-freeing enterprise got bogged down by an oligarchic insurrection, and she lost her way. And she also lost Barristan Selmy and her dragons. She got captured by the Dothraki, but burned all the Khals alive and took all their people. Then she got her dragons, killed the oligarchs and stole their ships, and took Tyrion, Varys, Missandei, and Grey Worm to Dragonstone. Sadly, Daario had to stay behind and watch the house while Dany goes to work. When she gets to Dragonstone nothing really works out the way she wanted. There are White Walkers and Cersei. But she does get several inches of Snow. She goes to war with the Lannisters, and gets the rest of the Tyrells on her side (it's just Olenna now). She sends her fleet and the Unsullied with Grey Worm and Tyrion to Casterly Rock to surprise the Lannisters, but gets tricked. The Greyjoy navy attacks the fleet and the Unsullied are trapped in a castle with no food or money. Meanwhile the breakaway Greyjoy faction under Yara and Theon (formerly Reek) gets smashed by Euron in the fog and what's left of the Dornish characters get killed. Meanwhile, Jaime Lannister takes his army, with the Tarly's, and attack Highgarden. Olenna kills herself. Jaime steals all the food and is on the way back to Sister when Dany and the Dothraki show up and kill them all with fire. Bron saves Jaime. The Tarly's die. Incidentally, Sam is now the last Tarly male and probably the heir to all of the Reach. The Unsullied somehow made it to King's Landing on foot, so Grey Worm and Tyrion are still kicking.
After that a peace is attempted to fight the White Walkers with Cersei but it doesn't work out. She also sends her dragons north of the Wall to save Jon and his ranging company, and loses Viserion to the Night King and his phenomenal javelin toss. 

The Cersei storyline:
Cersei loses all of her kids in accordance with the prophecy and now she's a cold hard bitch...queen. After she blew up the Tyrell's and the Faith Militant there's no one left in King's Landing to oppose her, but what and who she's actually ruling over is unclear. The place is probably more glum than Bratislava in the winter. (Euro Trip joke). She and Jaime are at odds over whether or not to help their enemies fight the White Walkers. She says no. Jaime says yes and he leaves. Mountain is still at her side. Qyburn too, although I don't know if you can trust Qyburn to be loyal. He pretty much just used her to get a fat science grant, and who knows who or what he really serves. But Cersei is still powerful. She has the Gold Cloaks and the remnant Lannister army but she's not in a great strategic position, since her supply of gold and food is low.

Also, Qyburn seemed to get excited watching the White Walker crawl around. 

The Winterfell storyline:
Sam and Gilly showed up at the end of Season 7 with a load of stolen books from Oldtown and knowledge about key plot points. He also cured Jorah of Greyscale using science. The Hound is on their side. So are Tormund and Beric, but Thoros of Myr is dead so no more bonus lives. Gendry is also around and he's the last person with any Baratheon blood so he's probably the heir to the Stormlands. Arya, Sansa, and Bran team up and take down Littlefinger while Bronze Yohn Royce, the Knights of the Vale, and all the Northmen look on with approval. There is a brief conflict between Arya and Sansa because Arya doesn't trust Sansa, but killing common enemies heals all wounds. Brienne is also there. She's maybe the best fighter in the show and Arya hold her own going toe-to-toe with her in a mock duel. This maybe foreshadows something. Then there's Bran. Bran is now the Three Eyed Raven and can apparently see everything across time and space and even change the past. No one knows his true powers but apparently he has a lot. It's likely tied to the weirwood trees and the magic of the Children, so count on the Night King knowing that and knowing how to deal with upstart Three Eyed Ravens. Jon is the undisputed Leader of the Free People of Westeros, but now the White Walkers are through the wall thanks to Ice Zombie Viserion.

Also, the Boltons are all dead. Ramsay got eaten by his dogs while Sansa watched.

The Dorne storyline:
They're all dead.

The Greyjoys:
Euron's navy showed up in time to deal a crushing defeat to Yara, Theon, and the Sand Snakes. Yara is captured. Theon has a boat full of Iron Men that decide to follow him after he kills a guy that tried to hit him in the nuts. (He lost those a few seasons ago, if you haven't been following.)

The Littlefinger storyline:
So the entire story south of the Wall is probably Littlefinger's doing.
It hasn't been stated explicitly, but Littlefinger got mauled by Brandon Stark fighting a duel over Catelyn Tully. Then Lyanna Stark ran off with Rhaegar to get married in secret and shortly afterwards Brandon charged to King's Landing to confront Rhaegar for kidnapping Lyanna, who was betrothed to Robert Baratheon. I believe Littlefinger TOLD Brandon that Rhaegar kidnapped her, despite knowing better, knowing Brandon would fly off the handle and do something stupid in his rage. Which he did. Brandon got killed, along with his dad and Lord Baratheon by King Aerys's fire while Jaime and Barristan Selmy watched. Then Young Ned and Robert became Lords Stark and Baratheon and went to war with their partron Jon Arryn in defiance of King Aerys. Then there was Robert's rebellion. Lyanna and Rhaegar and King Aerys died, Robert became king, and Littlefinger became Master of Coin.
Then Littlefinger convinced Lysa Arryn to kill Jon Arryn and blamed it on the Lannisters, and also convinced Catelyn that Tyrion tried to assassinate Bran. This started the War of the Five Kings. After the Red Wedding the war was over, the Lannisters were in control, and Littlefinger was Lord of Harrenhal and Lord Paramount of the Trident, and married Lysa Tully-Arryn and fostered her son Robert. 
Then Littlefinger killed Lysa Tully-Arryn-Baelish and took possession of The Vale of Arryn as the regent for Lord Robert. If you're keeping count that's two kingdoms united under his personal command. Then he took his army to the North and saved Jon and Sansa and defeated the Boltons, and tried to turn Sansa against her family. It seemed like it may have been working, but Bran saw through his nonsense and the Stark kids killed him.

Chaos is a ladder.

The Clegane storyline:
The Mountain and the Hound finally met. The Mountain is a freakishly powerful minion of Cersei/Qyburn. The Hound has repented of his old ways. He's given up drinking and even shows respect for others at times. I think Clegane Bowl is off, because Sandor isn't the raging bitter tormented man he used to be. 

The Red God/Lord of Light storyline:
A lot of screen time has been devoted to the Red God and his assorted disciples. We saw where all that got Stannis, but it's still important to remember that Jon was resurrected by the Red God just like Beric was, so it seems like there is some real legit power there. For what purpose and to what end remains a mystery.
Melisandre is revealed to be misguided, but Kinvara, the High Priestess, seems to have some serious powers. 
Thoros is killed by an ice zombie bear. Sandor witnessed a vision in the flames, although it never says what he saw. Varys also heard a voice when his nads got roasted.
It will be interesting to see where this storyline goes. 

Did I miss anything?

I just finished S7 and I missed a few things.

- I forgot Cersei and Euron's secret plot to hire the Golden Company and 20,000 soldiers + elephants using Iron Bank gold. It doesn't make sense to me, since the loot train from Highgarden got attacked by Dany and maybe that's why I had forgotten it. Maybe someone can explain that one for me.

- I forgot about the Nymeria scene. I imagine she and Ghost will have a role to play in S8. 

- I forgot Tormund and Dolorous Edd were at Eastwatch when the Wall came down. It didn't show if they survived.

- Concerning Dorne, Ellaria Sand is possibly still alive in the dungeons of King's Landing with the corpse of Tyene. Gross. Maybe we see her again.

Clicked on this thread and fell down the rabbit hole watching scenes from GOT, such as:

Light of the Seven - didn't realize that the kid who stabbed the Lannister guy took a look down the hallway just to make sure he couldn't crawl his way to the candles to put them out.

Dany meets Tyrion - Such as smooth talker.  When he tells Dany that Jorah is probably in love with her, you can see how torn up Dany is on seeing him again.

Dany meets Jon Snow

Rickon dies - Fuck Ramsay.  He almost made it.  Jon Snow was inches away from seeing his brother for the first time in years

Tyrion shows the wight to Cersei, then pleads with her afterward to work together

Arya gets Needle back  and sticks Polliver in the throat with it - just coldblooded Arya doing Arya things.  Should have just given the Hound his chicken

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, iodeac said:

Arya gets Needle back  and sticks Polliver in the throat with it - just coldblooded Arya doing Arya things.  Should have just given the Hound his chicken

The very beginning of that scene has one of my favorite exchanges in the series

Hound: "You named your sword?"

Arya: "Lots of people name their swords"

Hound: "Lots of cunts"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Disco Missile said:

I just finished S7 and I missed a few things.

- I forgot Cersei and Euron's secret plot to hire the Golden Company and 20,000 soldiers + elephants using Iron Bank gold. It doesn't make sense to me, since the loot train from Highgarden got attacked by Dany and maybe that's why I had forgotten it. Maybe someone can explain that one for me.

- I forgot about the Nymeria scene. I imagine she and Ghost will have a role to play in S8. 

- I forgot Tormund and Dolorous Edd were at Eastwatch when the Wall came down. It didn't show if they survived.

- Concerning Dorne, Ellaria Sand is possibly still alive in the dungeons of King's Landing with the corpse of Tyene. Gross. Maybe we see her again.

They got the gold wagons into Kings  landing before the dragon attack. The crops were in the wagons that were torched 

I thought Euron basically just said, "Fuck these things, I'm going back to my islands."  And I remember them hiring the new Army, but I don't remember Euron offering to give them a ride back to the fight?  Am I missing something?  

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread