Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

32 minutes ago, McCroskey said:

What is the significance again (if any) of the white horse that Arya rode out on?  Have we seen this horse or a similarity play out before?

Have you never watched Tombstone?  She’s coming and hell is following her.

Dumb question, I wasn't fully engaged at the beginning.  Varys was attempting to poison her?  How did he get caught?

Tyrion went to Dany and said she had been betrayed.

Before that, the little girl being used to do the poisoning mentioned she thought the soldiers were watching her. The soldiers probably told Tyrion.
  • Like 2

I thought the dragon vs. scorpions was done right this time. Last episode was some stupid shit but this one was how it should have gone down all along. You take an angle of approach that they can't hit you with, and then hit the walls/boats from the side so they can't turn those big stupid things fast enough to take a shot.

Clearly they just needed to take out a dragon last episode, because this one would have been over in like 20 minutes if she had double burners.

Would have been cooler if Jon had his dragon and tried to turn it against Drogon once he saw how batshit crazy Dany had become.

Isn't Dany supposed to have blue or purple eyes? I kept thinking that Arya is going to realize the Red Witch prophecy was about Dany not Cersei and murder her. Would be appropriate that she takes out the 2 biggest threats to mankind.

Bittersweet episode. Don't buy that Arya would suddenly see the light and abandon Sandor. That was a downer. Didn't like that he died, but I liked the way he died, in a blaze of glory taking out the baddest motherfucker on the planet. Nevertheless, he shoulda lived. Coulda drop kicked the Mountain thru that wall. Woulda been a lot more fucking enjoyable to see that.

Guess Dany is going down. Will it be Sansa or Jon? or the Imp? I think the writers got a little lazy if indeed that was the end of Jaime and Cersei. Pretty shitty ending. Thought I saw light at the top of that pile of rocks that was blocking their exit.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

8 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Putting all else aside, watching that dragon destroy the tower was quality television. And watching the roof cave in on Cersei was one of the more satisfying moments in TV history. 

Erm, no.  Cersei needed her head wrenched off in technicolor and shoved, still screaming, up her ass.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 10:24 PM, Murfdogg21 said:

All of these sound somewhat entertaining. I wouldn’t mind some treachery as long as there is a point to it all. My expectations are zero. 

My shitshow prediction: Danny will go nuts because she is an impulsive idiot and start killing everyone including Cersei and Jaime. Probably Tyrion and Varys too for treason and she will plot to kill Jon just to tie up the loose ends. Jon or Arya kill Danny. One of the remaining Starks gets killed in a pointless “Meet Joe Black” kind of death. Hound and Mountain duel it out for a few scenes but the dragon ends up nuking the whole place and killing them both. We get zero additional insight about the NK’s backstory/plan or 3 eyed raven, and Bran does nothing else with his raven power to justify his storyline and screentime over these seasons.  Jon is so disheartened by it all he climbs on the last dragon and flies off into the sunset, a la old man Luke Skywalker. Some random ass gets the iron throne, like Theon’s dikey sister or Qyburn. Last scene is Sam writing it all on scrolls like “There and back again: A Hobbit’s Tale” by Bilbo Baggins, but puts down his quill to go have a catch with Sam Jr. Cut to black. 

omg

whoever said the ballista were gonna go from shooting an impossible target at an insane distance last episode, to becoming stormtroopers in this episode, nailed it. they went from extremely effective to utterly useless.

this whole last season is so surreal.

• Like 4

Just now, Phoenix said:

whoever said the ballista were gonna go from shooting an impossible target at an insane distance last episode, to becoming stormtroopers in this episode, nailed it. they went from extremely effective to utterly useless.

It’s a shitshow

Putting all else aside, watching that dragon destroy the tower was quality television. And watching the roof cave in on Cersei was one of the more satisfying moments in TV history. 

You ever see The Godfather? Captain McCluskey and Sollazzo didnt die in a car wreck while being chased. They got wacked by a family member, face to face.

The remaining Starks had both their parents killed gruesomely and bitterly. It motivated their actions. Hardly a m’eh the last couple of seasons. Then Arya gets one lecture and turns tail.

The Stark-Lannister conflict seems to have whimpered out.

And Cersei going out like a punk is bullshit. In the Battle of Blackwater Bay she was about to Jim Jones the whole place. She’s a cold-hearted bitch. She’s just watching out the window the whole episode and crying. Was weak.

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, UTGrad98 said:

I kinda feel bad for all the goth moms who named their daughters khaleesi or Daenerys  over the last 7 years . 

Good point, you can add "Breaker of Chains, Mother of Dragons, Burner of Children, and Flamer of Quality Masonry" to her titles.  

She has 3 or 4 lines of emo-ridden cliche bullshit, then spends the rest of the 1:20 episode toasting shit in a pout session unlike the world has ever seen.  

Her character arc will be studied by showrunners for a half century and it will simply be titled "Da Fuh" method of writing down a heroine.  

1 minute ago, maninblack said:

Not sure if I believe it but the actor that played Barristan Selmy says the books are done. Skip ahead to 31:40

he could having been lying, but Martin said somewhat recently that he still has a ton of writing to do. I think probably the ending is already there but there are tons of details in between that need to be hashed out.

Now that I've had a few minutes to process this, Dany basically went nuts on the city and killed thousands of innocents because her loyal hairdresser got beheaded by a queen that didn't even care about the thousands that Dany torched. And this from the breaker of chains who is so compassionate...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Her character arc will be studied by showrunners for a half century and it will simply be titled "Da Fuh" method of writing down a heroine.  

She was never the heroine of the story.  She’s always been a wild card.  She has been pretty brutal many times throughout the series.  The signs have always been there.  There has been one hero through whole thing, Jon Snow.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

the first time around -  they had the element of surprise and she took off running. in shock of losing the second dragon 

second time around - everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. when she started taking out ships, prepping / loading / positioning / aiming that weapon (and ship) becomes very difficult 

1 minute ago, Horny04 said:

Now that I've had a few minutes to process this, Dany basically went nuts on the city and killed thousands of innocents because her loyal hairdresser got beheaded by a queen that didn't even care about the thousands that Dany torched. And this from the breaker of chains who is so compassionate...

it was absolutely fucking horrible writing.  as has been the case pretty much all of the final 2 seasons.  was season 6 the end of the books?  because it's been dog shit since cersei blew up the sept.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Enjoyed it.  Goods: the whole battle, the heel turn, starks’ reaction to heel turn, making unsullied part of the heel turn, CleganeBowl, view of the battle from the red keep, Jaime Cersei deaths   

Bad: confidence in victory by northerners when it just came down to no lucky shots against Drogon, scorpions ineffectiveness, nothing clever to beat them, are you sure we positioned every scorpion exposed out in the open? Not one hiding under a tarp somewhere? Enron Jaime fight, Jaime surviving to hike the width of the capital with giant wounds, scorpions taken out in the first five seconds on solo run, making one side invincible.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Horny04 said:

Her closest advisors turned on her.  The only person she loves is no longer returning that love.   She had a lot on her plate and it finally tipped.  And she is a famously unstable Targaryen.  

Entertaining to watch, but for Dany to do that in such violent fashion really has little to no justification based on what we've seen in the show from her character and from recent events.

She burns people who betray her. Fine. She burns people in the way of her getting the Iron Throne. Sure. But indiscriminately burning the city and murdering its people?  All because she was betrayed by Varys (and by proxy Sansa, Tyrion and Jon), and Missandei died?

Next week she better not be displaying any kind of sanity or sense, because that switch got flipped pretty easily. I mean she had the battle won and a chance to take the Throne with as few casualties as were probably possible and she just decided "fuck it, I am a crazy Targaryen. burn them all."

• Like 5

To be fair to dany killing for missandei, all the wild fire burning will play a role in the last episode. Or at least it should. Might be a small role but I think they’ll try to use it as an excuse that Cersei was gonna burn the city anyway, so maybe dany going mad wasn’t all that bad cause everyone was dead anyway.  It might not mean anything after they discuss it but there has to be a reason (I hope) they showed it blowing up all over the city.

Good episode overall, but didn’t believe Arya not going through with the hound to try to kill Cersei. Faceless Arya was all about the death, bad writing there. 

Heard a rumor there is an epilogue episode? Googled it and all I saw were April fools jokes. Anyone have an idea?

edit: also shitty death for Cersei. She needed a knife through the twat or someone holding up her severed head before it gets skull fucked. Lame to have her crushed

Edited by achooloco

3 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

it was absolutely fucking horrible writing.  as has been the case pretty much all of the final 2 seasons.  was season 6 the end of the books?  because it's been dog shit since cersei blew up the sept.

Season 5 is the end of the books.  

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread