Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

I've seen the Parks and Rec cast say, "Season 1 never happened" (or the equivalent) on a panel; Community referred to season 4 as "the gas leak year"; what are the odds that we eventually see the cast of GoT speaking out about how much the show fell off in the latter years?

man i'm really glad we spent ~35 hours watching Arya scrub dead people and spat with her coworker so that she could become a faceless person and then literally never use her hard earned abilities after killing a septuagenarian a couple seasons ago. totes worth it.

• Like 1

man i'm really glad we spent ~35 hours watching Arya scrub dead people and spat with her coworker so that she could become a faceless person and then literally never use her hard earned abilities after killing a septuagenarian a couple seasons ago. totes worth it.

She killed the biggest bad of the entire story lol. It was like 2 episodes ago. ???

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I've seen the Parks and Rec cast say, "Season 1 never happened" (or the equivalent) on a panel; Community referred to season 4 as "the gas leak year"; what are the odds that we eventually see the cast of GoT speaking out about how much the show fell off in the latter years?

They already have. Videos are out there. Dinklage, Harrington, Clarke, Costner-Waldau, the dude who played Barriston Selmy all have basically trashed the writers.

How do we know YOU'RE not Arya?
  • Like 1

My predictions:

Sansa comes out on top.  She might not get the throne but she survives.

Tyrion, Daenerys, Davos, and Greyworm die.

Not sure about Jon Snow or Arya Stark.  Both could die or survive. 

Yara, who gives a shit? 

Bran becomes a tree. 

Illyrio Mopatis showing up in the final episode would be awesome. 

My predictions:
Yara, who gives a shit? 
Bran becomes a tree. 

I think Tyrion sacrifices himself to Arya, who wears his face to kill Dany.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

My predictions:

Yara, who gives a shit? 

Bran becomes a tree. 

You can't not make a prediction on Arya and Jon.

If No Worm ends up king, I'm gonna dracarys my TV.

5 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

You can't not make a prediction on Arya and Jon.

Okay here it goes:

Jon ending up on the Iron Throne is almost too predictable, but shitty writing so who knows.  Jon is a dead man if he doesn’t win so I’m going to predict he dies in his effort to destroy Dany. 

Arya survives and she plays a vital role in getting Sansa to power. 

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

She killed the biggest bad of the entire story lol. It was like 2 episodes ago. ???

and that had literally nothing to do with her story line in braavos or her being a faceless man, so i'm failing to see your point. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Just now, Goo Punch said:

and that has literally nothing to do with her story line in braavos or her being a faceless man, so i'm failing to see your point. 

Yeah, while I think they've generally done a really good job with Arya's arc, her killing the NK without having to use any of her Faceless Man magical abilities seems pretty dumb. If the most important person she kills using her magic ends up being Walder fucking Frey, then the whole Faceless Man plot will feel like a pretty big waste.

• Like 1

and that had literally nothing to do with her story line in braavos or her being a faceless man, so i'm failing to see your point. 
There were entire scenes dedicated to showing her learning to sneak around and up on people over the past few seasons. Which she used to get ice dude.

Yeah, while I think they've generally done a really good job with Arya's arc, her killing the NK without having to use any of her Faceless Man magical abilities seems pretty dumb. If the most important person she kills using her magic ends up being Walder fucking Frey, then the whole Faceless Man plot will feel like a pretty big waste.
I think no matter if arya uses it or not tonight... the whole faceless man plot was as boring of a plot as you can write up.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
11 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

There were entire scenes dedicated to showing her learning to sneak around and up on people over the past few seasons. Which she used to get ice dude.

The faceless men are the best assassins in the world.  So good, they often don’t need the face part.  Arya being one of the best killers in Westeros is the only real takeaway needed from her faceless men training. 

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
13 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

They didn't show that at all.  As far as I can tell, the witch told her the blue eyes prophecy and she sprinted straight out and to the NK.  Nothing she did looked like it required training with the Faceless Man.  She just ran really fast and ducked down.  

Better writing would have shown us something.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Her becoming a good assassin or killer had nothing to do with being able to kill the Night King? Seriously?

They didn't show that at all.  As far as I can tell, the witch told her the blue eyes prophecy and she sprinted straight out and to the NK.  Nothing she did looked like it required training with the Faceless Man.  She just ran really fast and ducked down.  
Better writing would have shown us something.
Oh, I agree that the writing was terrible. But nitpicking that her faceless man training was useless is silly. They certainly did show what I'm talking about, during her training.

19 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The faceless men are the best assassins in the world.  So good, they often don’t need the face part.  Arya being one of the best killers in Westeros is the only real takeaway needed from her faceless men training. 

Now you're just making shit up. lol. 

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Her becoming a good assassin or killer had nothing to do with being able to kill the Night King? Seriously?

She could've learned to become a great assassin anywhere. There was nothing unique to the Faceless men that allowed her to kill the NK.

There was a ton of emphasis on faceless men and the god of death. Specifically that you can't cheat the god of death. There must be payment in order to take a life. Arya has been killing on her own will for 2-3 seasons now and hasn't seen any repercussions. If this were still the first six seasons, she'd have to pay a price for using her skills this way, but it doesn't look like that will happen unless she dies this episode, but even then it seems her death would be unlikely to tie back to the god of death plot, thereby making that whole part of the story seem like a waste.

So, Dany might go after Sansa first because she clearly wants to eliminate anyone that’s a threat and knows Jon’s little secret. 

However, I think Sansa’s character progression has been undervalued.  Sansa has been through the worst shit out of everyone in the show.  She was supposed to marry Joffrey but then held hostage by Cersei and married off to Tyrion only to escape with Littlefinger who killed her aunt in front of her.  Then he sold her to be wed and raped by Ramsey Bolton.  

Sansa’s school of hard knocks had the best teachers: Joffrey, Cersei, Tyrion, the Hound, Littlefinger, and Ramsey Bolton.   That’s why I think she prevails.  She never caught much of a break. 

Or Dany kills her in the first ten minutes. 

23 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

did i bring up her storyline of becoming "a good assassin", or a faceless man?

Are you really trying to argue that her storyline in braavos and the faceless man was only about killing people by using someone else face? 

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Now you're just making shit up. lol. 

She could've learned to become a great assassin anywhere. There was nothing unique to the Faceless men that allowed her to kill the NK.

There was a ton of emphasis on faceless men and the god of death. Specifically that you can't cheat the god of death. There must be payment in order to take a life. Arya has been killing on her own will for 2-3 seasons now and hasn't seen any repercussions. If this were still the first six seasons, she'd have to pay a price for using her skills this way, but it doesn't look like that will happen unless she dies this episode, but even then it seems her death would be unlikely to tie back to the god of death plot, thereby making that whole part of the story seem like a waste.

Please list all the places where one can become a great assassin? 

First off, she never became a faceless man, so I don’t know if the Faceless Man rules apply to Arya in the totally made up realm where we only see snippets of each made up characters lives. So there could be payment from some other person in another part of the world. I don’t know, they never really fleshed out the rules that much. They sure as shit didn’t say if you take a life, you must give up your life later. 

9 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Are you really trying to argue that her storyline in braavos and the faceless man was only about killing people by using someone else face? 

i have no idea where your indignation comes from, but yeah, i'm arguing that we spent way too much time on one of the most tedious, aimless storylines, all with the endgame of arya becoming a faceless man, only to have her never use those abilities again after killing the Freys. and then to write her in as the killer of the NK and to not use her magic to do so...it's bad. it was a huge waste of time was awfully tedious. 

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

First off, she never became a faceless man, so I don’t know if the Faceless Man rules apply to Arya in the totally made up realm where we only see snippets of each made up characters lives. So there could be payment from some other person in another part of the world. I don’t know, they never really fleshed out the rules that much. They sure as shit didn’t say if you take a life, you must give up your life later. 

They establish in Season 5 that a debt must be paid when a Faceless man takes a life, and the more difficult/important the person is, the greater the price. They also establish that it's up to the god of death, whether the target should actually be killed.  It's crystal clear from the show that when you want someone to be killed, you must pay the price. If Arya goes off and decides who she will kill, then she's the one who incurs the debt, not to mention that Arya never killed Lady Crane in Season 6 and Jaqen pretty much told her she'll die if she doesn't go through with it. Anyways, the point is they established the rules decently well enough to know Arya has violated basically all of them and spent a good bit of time explaining the Faceless Men and the god of death. I'm guessing the show writers are just going to act like none of this ever happened and ignore it. 

I get Arya had to learn to be an assassin somewhere, but the show writers easily could have made the whole Faceless Man part be more meaningful the last two seasons without having to add much screen time.  Maybe they'll have it come into play this last episode, but I doubt it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:
1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think no matter if arya uses it or not tonight... the whole faceless man plot was as boring of a plot as you can write up.

yeah but it didn't have to be. Take more advantage of Arya having those skills, like actually incorporate it into her killing the NK or Cersei or Dany, or have it come back to play a role in how/why Arya dies and there's at least a good payoff.

Arya kills Tyrion and steals his face in order to kill Danerys. 

After Arya kills Danerys, she steals her face, while wearing Danerys, she publicly withdraws her claim to the Iron Throne in order to give it to Jon or Sansa (whichever one Danerys doesn't kill early in the episode). 

Arya/Danerys publicly kills herself in order to close the loop. 

Global audience riots. Twitter crashes. 

HBO sees massive cancelations tomorrow. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Arya kills Tyrion and steals his face in order to kill Danerys. 

After Arya kills Danerys, she steals her face, while wearing Danerys, she publicly withdraws her claim to the Iron Throne in order to give it to Jon or Sansa (whichever one Danerys doesn't kill early in the episode). 

Arya/Danerys publicly kills herself in order to close the loop. 

Global audience riots. Twitter crashes. 

HBO sees massive cancelations tomorrow. 

Valar morghulis

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

i have no idea where your indignation comes from, but yeah, i'm arguing that we spent way too much time on one of the most tedious, aimless storylines, all with the endgame of arya becoming a faceless man, only to have her never use those abilities again after killing the Freys. and then to write her in as the killer of the NK and to not use her magic to do so...it's bad. it was a huge waste of time was awfully tedious. 

I think it’s silly and borderline ignorant to view the purpose of Arya’s time with the faceless man as only acquiring the face swapping trick, or if you believe she did become a faceless man, she would only be allowed to use the face swapping trick to kill someone, especially considering we have seen Jalen H’ghar and the helper girl kill without swapping faces beforehand. The helper girl tried to use poison once. 

To say she “as the killer of the NK and to not use her magic to do so...it’s bad” is just silly. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

They establish in Season 5 that a debt must be paid when a Faceless man takes a life, and the more difficult/important the person is, the greater the price. They also establish that it's up to the god of death, whether the target should actually be killed.  It's crystal clear from the show that when you want someone to be killed, you must pay the price. If Arya goes off and decides who she will kill, then she's the one who incurs the debt, not to mention that Arya never killed Lady Crane in Season 6 and Jaqen pretty much told her she'll die if she doesn't go through with it. Anyways, the point is they established the rules decently well enough to know Arya has violated basically all of them and spent a good bit of time explaining the Faceless Men and the god of death. I'm guessing the show writers are just going to act like none of this ever happened and ignore it. 

I get Arya had to learn to be an assassin somewhere, but the show writers easily could have made the whole Faceless Man part be more meaningful the last two seasons without having to add much screen time.  Maybe they'll have it come into play this last episode, but I doubt it.  

It’s obvious you didn’t actually read what I wrote, or if you did, you didn’t comprehend the words, especially the part about Arya not actually being a faceless man and maybe the faceless man rules don’t actually apply to Arya. 

I know I’m coming off as an asshole. I get it. It’s just there are a million things to be mad about this season, and character arcs that were completely butchered, but Arya is not one of them. Cersei, Jaime, Dany, whatever, take your pick. But Arya from the beginning wanted to be a warrior like her brothers, she wasn’t a lady. In KL, with the Hound, Faceless Men, she was always training to be a badass killer to get revenge and protect her family. And in the end, she got revenge against Frey’s among others and was a badass killer by killing the NK. 

She is the only character they didn’t fuck up (so far, one episode left)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I think it’s silly and borderline ignorant to view the purpose of Arya’s time with the faceless man as only acquiring the face swapping trick, or if you believe she did become a faceless man, she would only be allowed to use the face swapping trick to kill someone, especially considering we have seen Jalen H’ghar and the helper girl kill without swapping faces beforehand. The helper girl tried to use poison once. 

To say she “as the killer of the NK and to not use her magic to do so...it’s bad” is just silly. 

right, how silly of me to assume that there'd be some sort of payoff to the whole "let's spend countless painstaking hours watching arya become a faceless man" thing. how silly of me to think that that a major storyline which spanned 3-4 seasons would ultimately have a purpose in the grand scheme of things, and not be dropped and altogether forgotten as soon as she actually becomes a faceless man. so silly of me.

• Fuck You 1

during arya's time in braavos i legitimately believed that the ultra slow moving storyline was done purposefully, so that the viewer could really feel and have a sense of the time and work and sacrifice that went into becoming a faceless man, and that in the end all of the time spent watching her scrubbing the floor bathing corpses would be worth it due to her new faceless man abilities and the major role they would play going forward. instead she killed wolder frey a couple of seasons ago and it hasn't been mentioned since.

what's silly is acting incredulous that a fan of the show would have wanted/expected more payoff from that major, time consuming storyline which resulted in one of our favorite characters now possessing magical powers which she literally does not use on the show. 

• Like 1

did i bring up her storyline of becoming "a good assassin", or a faceless man?

The Hound gave her a nice talk about not killing herself in the name of revenge. This was after a thousand mile horse ride, then sneaking in the City (with the Hound and without telling anyone), marching to the Red Keep, where they’d have no idea where the Mountain or Cersei would be, avoiding dragon fire and falling buildings.

Once she had that epiphany, she didn’t bother exiting the passages she’s used before, or hanging out to bring Cersei to justice, she goes out in the streets and becomes the lone survivor. She now feels empathy towards the people who cheered her father’s gruesome beheading and looks to bring Dany to justice (or whatever on the white horse).

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread