Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

right, how silly of me to assume that there'd be some sort of payoff to the whole "let's spend countless painstaking hours watching arya become a faceless man" thing. how silly of me to think that that a major storyline which spanned 3-4 seasons would ultimately have a purpose in the grand scheme of things, and not be dropped and altogether forgotten as soon as she actually becomes a faceless man. so silly of me.

She completely erased an entire family from Earth, to avenge the most significant event in the show's history.

"Outside of nuking two Japanese cities and ending WWII, there really wasn't a payoff to the years of American nuclear research"

• Like 4

i have no idea where your indignation comes from, but yeah, i'm arguing that we spent way too much time on one of the most tedious, aimless storylines, all with the endgame of arya becoming a faceless man, only to have her never use those abilities again after killing the Freys. and then to write her in as the killer of the NK and to not use her magic to do so...it's bad. it was a huge waste of time was awfully tedious. 

I think more importantly, Frey represents the last Stark-Lannister confrontation. When Arya whacked Frey it opened new possibilities, but all we got was Arya peeing herself in the library only to be reminded she’s a badass. She pees herself again in the Red Keep and is reminded not to go suicidal.

The Stark-Lannister conflict was anti-climatic to say the least, and I’m not even taking about how Arya could infiltrate the Red Keep. Fuck, she could have killed Jaime and walked right in. Wouldn’t that be fucking interesting?

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

They establish in Season 5 that a debt must be paid when a Faceless man takes a life, and the more difficult/important the person is, the greater the price. They also establish that it's up to the god of death, whether the target should actually be killed.  It's crystal clear from the show that when you want someone to be killed, you must pay the price. If Arya goes off and decides who she will kill, then she's the one who incurs the debt, not to mention that Arya never killed Lady Crane in Season 6 and Jaqen pretty much told her she'll die if she doesn't go through with it. Anyways, the point is they established the rules decently well enough to know Arya has violated basically all of them and spent a good bit of time explaining the Faceless Men and the god of death. I'm guessing the show writers are just going to act like none of this ever happened and ignore it. 

I get Arya had to learn to be an assassin somewhere, but the show writers easily could have made the whole Faceless Man part be more meaningful the last two seasons without having to add much screen time.  Maybe they'll have it come into play this last episode, but I doubt it.  

According to GRRM - Only death can pay for life/the red god gets his due/debt must be paid when a life is taken. 

According to D&D - The God of Death sort of forgot about that part. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

She completely erased an entire family from Earth, to avenge the most significant event in the show's history.

"Outside of nuking two Japanese cities and ending WWII, there really wasn't a payoff to the years of American nuclear research"

it's as if you guys take pride in being obtuse. we've already covered the Freys. that was great. at the time, i and most others assumed that this was simply the first of many times we'd be seeing Arya use her unbelievable magic powers which took a painstaking amount of effort and time (both on her part and the viewer's) to acquire, and instead, she does it just the one time, it's incredibly badass, and then *poof* the story has moved on from that point as if none of the faceless man stuff ever happened.

how many seasons/episodes ago did she kill the freys? she's one of the maybe 5 or 6 biggest characters on the entire show and they dedicate all of that monotonous time giving her magical powers only to have her never use them or mention them or even acknowledge them again. not only has she had about a dozen different times since then when using her abilities would have made sense and helped her and her family out, the writers actually wrote it into the script to have Arya single handedly get through the entire army of the dead to personally kill the Night King, and they didn't consider that maybe Arya just might use what is by far her greatest asset as a killer in order to pull this off. "the writers have forgotten that arya is a faceless man."

that's the equivalent of the writers deciding that the hound would win "clegane bowl" by poisoning the mountain. it's embarrassingly stupid to spend that much time giving someone insanely magical powers only to have them never employ said powers, particularly when that person kills the Night King. sadly, it's par for the course with these last few seasons. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

I like how the death row inmate when about to be executed decides the ruler of the realm while the North becomes Switzerland.  

I don’t mind how things ended, but yeah, how it got there in that one scene was bad. 

Edited by Neonmoon

What a shitty ending. Why the fuck is the wall a thing still?

When Jon looked back, I felt like the thought ballon should have appeared that said “why are we closing a gate? There’s a huge fucking hole 100 yards to the left”.
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread