Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

Still processing it, I need to watch it again. I really thought Tyrion was trying to set up something big when he elected Bran but no, he actually elected Bran for real and everyone agreed with zero argument. Why did Dany make herself so vulnerable to Jon? The 'don't trust anyone' aspect of this show is long gone. I'm ok with most of it though, they gave a somewhat satisfying end with the Stark family watching over the realm. I guess. It was impossible to wrap up everyone's stories in a single episode so I wasn't expecting much. Hoping the books come out and fill in the gaps.

Would love to see an Arya spinoff series!

3 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Oh well, despite the recent shortcomings, I will miss the hell out of this show. Even bad Game of Thrones is still more fun than 98% of other stuff on TV.

Agreed.  Sad that it has come to an end.  Did I hear that they are creating a prequel series set like a thousand years prior?

5 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I would've liked to see some small hint that a White Walker threat still exists, but that's the twisted side of me that likes Inception style endings.

Absolutely. I was hoping for the same and I feel like this was a missed opportunity. 

13 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

Sam was represent the order of maesters who had provided council to the lords of the Seven Kingdoms in the past.

Yes, I'm sure the Grand Maesters back at the untouched Citadel were fine with having the punk kid who showed up one day with a wildling woman, disobeyed them repeatedly, and then stole their books and took off, to be their representative before the Crown.  Makes perfect sense.

I feel like the main point of the finale was to get Peter Dinklage an Emmy.  That's the only reason to have Cersei and Jamie die under the rubble - so Tyrion could see the golden hand and have that tearful scene.  

And it’s the only reason why Tyrion was allowed to give a speech and basically choose the new king.  Neither of those scenes made any sense in the overall story.  The only logical explanation I can come up with is to give the actor a platform to win an award.  But that isn’t surprising, since D&D put visuals ahead of storylines.  Why not actors.

2 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Yes, I'm sure the Grand Maesters back at the untouched Citadel were fine with having the punk kid who showed up one day with a wildling woman, disobeyed them repeatedly, and then stole their books and took off, to be their representative before the Crown.  Makes perfect sense.

Jesus Christ dude, maybe not a literal representative of the Citadel, but he's studied to become a Maester and he was Jon's closest friend. It's really easy to see why the Starks would want him around to help decide the future of the Seven Kingdoms.

2 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I feel like the main point of the finale was to get Peter Dinklage an Emmy.  That's the only reason to have Cersei and Jamie die under the rubble - so Tyrion could see the golden hand and have that tearful scene.  

And it’s the only reason why Tyrion was allowed to give a speech and basically choose the new king.  Neither of those scenes made any sense in the overall story.  The only logical explanation I can come up with is to give the actor a platform to win an award.  But that isn’t surprising, since D&D put visuals ahead of storylines.  Why not actors.

cswlo1rfndz21.jpg

1 minute ago, disgustipated said:

What about the dothraki? they're just chilling out in westeros?

This was something that I thought was weird too. They almost get completely wiped out by the army of the dead only to have some survive and help Dany destroy Westeros but when she's dead they're just like, "welp, see ya, byeeee!"

Just more lazy writing.

What are the Unsullied going to do in Naath?  They are going to tell the Naathers? that their captain loved a woman who was from Naath.  She's now dead.  So she won't be joining us.  But we have thousands of eunuch soldiers and we plan to chill here for a while, again because our captain loved a woman from Naath.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Also, the Unsullied were butchering every civilian and POW in King’s Landing, but they held Jon as a dignified prisoner with Geneva Convention treatment for weeks after he killed Dany.   

Not only the Unsullied but the Dothraki, who are later seen casually walking the streets of a rebuilt King's Landing 3 weeks outside of Genocide.

3 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Not only the Unsullied but the Dothraki, who are later seen casually walking the streets of a rebuilt King's Landing 3 weeks outside of Genocide.

OK, and was the table around which Bronn, Tyrion, Sam, Davos and Bran sat at the end the same table/room that Tyrion walked through a few weeks earlier that was blown to high hell and open to the sky?  Seems like it was, and they did a helluva restoration job in such a short time.  Chip and Joanna would have been impressed.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah that was weird.

I think there's a way that they could have gotten to a point where the ending for these characters made sense, but they needed a full real season of 10 episodes to build up this particular narrative.

It's like they got George Lucas prequel-itis where they were more concerned with putting together these massive set piece battles that were pretty damn incredible, but they sacrificed story/narrative for it.

With D+D at the helm, though, all we would be guaranteed was 3+ more hours of shit. Remember what we saw were their GOOD ideas.

42 minutes ago, lockport said:

I really thought Tyrion was trying to set up something big when he elected Bran but no, he actually elected Bran for real and everyone agreed with zero argument.

There are a lot of gaps to fill in here, but Tyrion making a power play the last half of the episode to become the de facto most powerful man in Westeros because Bran is mostly useless at least would've been something. It would at least explain how Bronn, an objectively bad person, could end up as the Master of Coin. The imp who was looked at as a monster by his father and sister becoming the most powerful man in the Seven Kingdoms could've been a satisfying arc if done right.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MoJames said:

zarzfrtgpdz21.png

Re: Gendry, he gets the Stormlands not only by decree of Dany per se, but by her order legitimizing him as Gendry Baratheon, which means he inherits the House by the standard law of the realm.  Plus, there's no reason why Bran would want to rescind that even if he could.  Especially with Arya still around while everything was being sorted. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

2 minutes ago, ATLLonghorn said:

There are a lot of gaps to fill in here, but Tyrion making a power play the last half of the episode to become the de facto most powerful man in Westeros because Bran is mostly useless at least would've been something. It would at least explain how Bronn, an objectively bad person, could end up as the Master of Coin. The imp who was looked at as a monster by his father and sister becoming the most powerful man in the Seven Kingdoms could've been a satisfying arc if done right.

Imp kills Dany

Jon battles to free him using Drogon which recognizes him as Targaerian.

Sansa stabs Grew Worm at Tyrion's prison door

Sansa marries Imp. Tells Bran to fuck off.

Here's another one.  Varys was writing notes about Jon's true identity and had plenty of time to send them out, which it seemed like he was doing.   And it would be the only sensible thing to do if he was trying to effect Jon as the public alternative to Dany.   But it never had an impact, and even the council doesn't discuss that, murder notwithstanding, Jon is still technically the rightful King?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

6.  Drogon melting the throne.  Someone melting the throne could have been a nice touch.  It wasn’t such a nice touch to have the dragon suddenly become sentient and make a political statement (the same dragon who never had a problem helping Dany burn cities in the pursuit of power). And then to have them appoint a new king anyway.  “Yes, we still have a monarch - but his throne is a made from a different material now!”  What powerful and meaningful symbolism torching the throne turned out to be.

In defense of Dumb & Dumber, lore has been established that Dragons have advanced intelligence.  “Some Maesters think they’re smarter than men” was said by someone once.

And what was the fucking deal with Tyrion rearranging chairs? Was he re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic? Was this to show that he was nervous being the Hand? Joke on GOT fans? Waste of sixty seconds.

It was made clear, by the way, that Bronn had been given High Garden, for no fucking apparent reason. Who did that actor blow to get into the final season? The second coming of Richard Harris?

Fuck put some imagination in this. Toss Tyrion to fucking sullied after calling you out.

Bronn just shows up like that conversation never happened and is automatically given a chair at the table?

To be fair the council shenanigans was the only part of the finale I enjoyed. The rest sucked donkey balls

In thinking more on this, perhaps it should've just ended with Jon killing Dany and Drogon melting the Iron Throne. Somebody joked 20 pages back that we'd get the snap-shot credits like at the end of Animal House and that's a little how some of the epilogue felt.

56 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Not sure if this was mentioned, but a water bottle made an appearance.  Good lord they got lazy and careless.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/20/tv-shows/game-of-thrones-water-bottle-scli-intl/index.html

More than a million people have signed a petition urging showrunners to "remake 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 with competent writers."

No, just no. Let it die.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Agreed.  Sad that it has come to an end.  Did I hear that they are creating a prequel series set like a thousand years prior?

300 years. GRRM said that there were 5 spinoff ideas pitched, 3 were approved. 2 are staying in script form for now, 1 is in production. About the original Targaryen conquest of Westeros 300 years earlier. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Here's another one.  Varys was writing notes about Jon's true identity and had plenty of time to send them out, which it seemed like he was doing.   And it would be the only sensible thing to do if he was trying to effect Jon as the public alternative to Dany.   But it never had an impact, and even the council doesn't discuss that, murder notwithstanding, Jon is still technically the rightful King?

If this show did anything, it showed that there is no such thing as rightful king. Power is taken by force, or ceded by the majority. 

That was proven over and again in Westeros, in slavers bay, in the Dothraki hordes. 

There is no such thing as a birth rite. 

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread