Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

4 hours ago, d2o said:

Right, she is just walking around with no security?

Did you not see that huge fucking dragon outside?

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Jon going north was the best part of the ending for me.  He never wanted all of the other stuff.  Bran set him free by sending him to the wall (probably knowing he would end up with the free folk).

Yes, correct.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I'm surprised bronn isnt getting much flack here...I mentioned it post show last night. Did Tyrion just think Bronn could strut into that meeting as if the threat up in winterfell never happened? The fuck?

That bothered me a lot. Bronn has been a wasted character this season and he should've been killed off in season 7 when he faced off against the dragon. No point in keeping his character alive just for this nonsense in season 8.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If this show did anything, it showed that there is no such thing as rightful king. Power is taken by force, or ceded by the majority. 

That was proven over and again in Westeros, in slavers bay, in the Dothraki hordes. 

There is no such thing as a birth rite. 

I can't say that I agree. The show pretty thoroughly established how much people in Westeros care about birth rite.   It was one of the central factors driving the plot all of these years.  Countless people were murdered because they were heirs to the throne.  Dany was kept alive as a child because of her birth rite.   Jon's entire life was hidden because of his, and the reveal was treated by Dany, Varys, Jon, and Sansa as though it would be highly relevant to who would sit on the iron throne.  Hell, the people sitting on the council at the end were all there because of birth rite, including Bran. 

The notion that "power is taken by force, or ceded by the majority" ignores that in the universe of this show, birth rite helps get you the force and the majorities.  The only person I can think of who came from no birth rite to become so much as a lord was Bronn. 

30 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If this show did anything, it showed that there is no such thing as rightful king. Power is taken by force, or ceded by the majority. 

That was proven over and again in Westeros, in slavers bay, in the Dothraki hordes. 

There is no such thing as a birth rite. 

dp

Edited by Mojo Hand

25 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Did you not see that huge fucking dragon outside?

Maybe assign someone with the cognitive ability to understand that Jon is the greatest living threat to her rule--and just spoke privately to a known traitor--to guard the door instead of something that's probably hoping that Jon will pet him more.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

That bothered me a lot. Bronn has been a wasted character this season and he should've been killed off in season 7 when he faced off against the dragon. No point in keeping his character alive just for this nonsense in season 8.

So much this.  Pretty much the last two seasons in a nutshell: "We don't want to kill anyone's favorite character because that may be unpopular, but we have no fucking clue what to do with them all, and not nearly enough time to do so even if we did."

3 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Maybe assign someone with the cognitive ability to understand that Jon is the greatest living threat to her rule--and just spoke privately to a known traitor--to guard the door instead of something that's probably hoping that Jon will pet him more.

That could have been a good plot device. Put Dickless out there with the Dragon. Dickless tries to stop Jon, Dragon burns dickless and lets Jon in, because.... THE DRAGON KNOWS.

1 hour ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Imp kills Dany

Jon battles to free him using Drogon which recognizes him as Targaerian.

Sansa stabs Grew Worm at Tyrion's prison door

Sansa marries Imp. Tells Bran to fuck off.

There's meat on this bone.  Especially the relationship between Tyrion & Sansa that earlier seasons developed reasonably well over the years.  Not based upon physical attraction, but intellectual respect.  Sansa is the ice-cold queen of the North.  Would have preferred to see things come full circle and the balance of power shift considerably to the North.  Take Tyrion as her partner (and possibly more, there's always the angle the writers can take), Arya as her general, Jon never wanted power so he can head further north to solidify what would become a strong alliance between the free-men and Winterfell.  Bran as King is an absurd path to take.  He's the 3-eyed Raven.  Be the Raven....in the North.  Use your considerable influence to support the new balance of power.  This entire narrative is and always has been about the Stark family.  Bring it full circle.  

The throne & city are toast (pun intended).  Just the logistics of body cleanup alone are staggering for close to a million people.  The entire infrastructure is demolished.  Let it be a dead/dying city, further illustrating how the balance of power has shifted.

Then end with this....

winter-is-here-79997.jpg

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, heso said:

300 years. GRRM said that there were 5 spinoff ideas pitched, 3 were approved. 2 are staying in script form for now, 1 is in production. About the original Targaryen conquest of Westeros 300 years earlier. 

This is a little off.

No one knows exactly what the prequels are about, but GRRM said his title for the one that’s currently being casted would be the “Long Night,” meaning it’s about the last time the white walkers came south, which is thought to be 4,000 - 8,000 years ago and likely includes Bran the Builder becuase the Wall was built right after the Long Night.

I kept hoping the same. Like blue eyes in the forest somewhere or really anything to spice up the dreadfully boring episode. 

Tyrion finds Jaime and Cersei at the very end of the episode, he bows his head in tears, unseen by him, both Jaime and Cersei's eyes open, and they are bright blue. Rains of Castamere, roll credits.

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a little off.

No one knows exactly what the prequels are about, but GRRM said his title for the one that’s currently being casted would be the “Long Night,” meaning it’s about the last time the white walkers came south, which is thought to be 4,000 - 8,000 years ago and likely includes Bran the Builder becuase the Wall was built right after the Long Night.

I dont think this season did any favors for continuing the GRRM universe.

There's obviously been a lot of criticism this season and to a lesser extent last season, and I think much of that is deserved, but I also think some of these flaws or inconsistencies have been present throughout the show:

-The very first episode made a big deal of "Winter is Coming" and it never amounted to much. A lot of fuss for 7+ seasons with a few snowy episodes down the stretch, but winter never was a tangible threat for anywhere south of the wall.

-The White Walkers marched past Sam in the season 2 finale, with the wall in sight, yet somehow that army took 5 more seasons to attack the wall. One of the White Walkers even looked at Sam and simply let him live.

-Bran's story has always been boring without a clear direction. I think this was GRRM's smoke monster where he created something mysterious but had no idea what to do with it. Maybe issues like this are the reason he never finished the series. It's a lot easier to start a series than to wrap one up.

-Dany's story was boring for most of seasons 2-5, and even though she had a clear direction, it felt like constant stalling to save her King's Landing arrival for the end of the series while they let other plots play out in Westeros.

-The sudden prominence and complete control by the Sparrows in season 6 was ridiculous. Somehow the Lannisters become powerless against a group of monks.

I think most people were able to look past these flaws in the beginning because the show was new and it provided gratuitous violence, shocking deaths of main characters, frequent nudity, dragons, zombies, etc. It also had great character development and a lot of really good scenes between the wtf moments. The fun parts of the show easily masked the flaws.

After 5-6 seasons, that newness had worn off. People were no longer impressed by dragons, there was less nudity, less main character deaths, and suddenly everyone is outraged when the writing isn't up to par. 

I've always enjoyed Game of Thrones on a superficial level. It has interesting characters, politics, landscapes, dragons, giants, etc. I've never been interested in the fantasy genre prior to this, but it sucked me in and it was fun to watch. I don't expect it to be Band of Brothers. Maybe the lower expectations mean that I'm less outraged when it has a rough ending, but either way, I really enjoyed the ride for 6+ years.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is a little off.

Thanks. What I had read must have mistakenly assumed the one moving forward was based off the book he was finishing about the Targaryens. 

Without D&D doing and rushed writing, I’m on board for whatever is released. 

40 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

loved me some jon n ghost reunion. also loved them wilding chicas that was smilin at jonny :)

was hopin we'd see drogon fly over.

That would have been a significantly better ending then what they came up with. King Broken aside. 

I remember on the old site (or hell maybe early in this one) there was a thread on current top 3 or top 5 shows of all time.   A lot of people were already putting GOT's up there.  Others were saying need to let it play out.  After this steaming pile of shit of a last season I hope it's dropped off universally.  

9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

I remember on the old site (or hell maybe early in this one) there was a thread on current top 3 or top 5 shows of all time.   A lot of people were already putting GOT's up there.  Others were saying need to let it play out.  After this steaming pile of shit of a last season I hope it's dropped off universally.  

What are you talking about, GOT ended with Dany and her dragon's heading over the narrow sea. It's a shame they didn't finish it but I don't think that's a reason you take it off the list.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

There's obviously been a lot of criticism this season and to a lesser extent last season, and I think much of that is deserved, but I also think some of these flaws or inconsistencies have been present throughout the show:

-The very first episode made a big deal of "Winter is Coming" and it never amounted to much. A lot of fuss for 7+ seasons with a few snowy episodes down the stretch, but winter never was a tangible threat for anywhere south of the wall.

-The White Walkers marched past Sam in the season 2 finale, with the wall in sight, yet somehow that army took 5 more seasons to attack the wall. One of the White Walkers even looked at Sam and simply let him live.

-Bran's story has always been boring without a clear direction. I think this was GRRM's smoke monster where he created something mysterious but had no idea what to do with it. Maybe issues like this are the reason he never finished the series. It's a lot easier to start a series than to wrap one up.

-Dany's story was boring for most of seasons 2-5, and even though she had a clear direction, it felt like constant stalling to save her King's Landing arrival for the end of the series while they let other plots play out in Westeros.

-The sudden prominence and complete control by the Sparrows in season 6 was ridiculous. Somehow the Lannisters become powerless against a group of monks.

I think most people were able to look past these flaws in the beginning because the show was new and it provided gratuitous violence, shocking deaths of main characters, frequent nudity, dragons, zombies, etc. It also had great character development and a lot of really good scenes between the wtf moments. The fun parts of the show easily masked the flaws.

After 5-6 seasons, that newness had worn off. People were no longer impressed by dragons, there was less nudity, less main character deaths, and suddenly everyone is outraged when the writing isn't up to par. 

I've always enjoyed Game of Thrones on a superficial level. It has interesting characters, politics, landscapes, dragons, giants, etc. I've never been interested in the fantasy genre prior to this, but it sucked me in and it was fun to watch. I don't expect it to be Band of Brothers. Maybe the lower expectations mean that I'm less outraged when it has a rough ending, but either way, I really enjoyed the ride for 6+ years.

Some good points in here but not with respect to the WW.  They waited 5 seasons to attack the wall because they needed the dragon to circumvent it.

The wall had held them out for thousands of years.  There was nothing they could do till they had a way to breach it.

Jon should have been at that council meeting and his true lineage should have at least been MENTIONED. Then he could have abdicated the throne and had the exact same ending going North of the wall with the free folk.  That would have been much more satisfying conclusion for him than being exiled there as punishment.

And yes Bronn should have been fried by Drogon at the Loot Train attack after nailing him with the Scorpion.  Would have been a memorable way for Bronn to go out.  His use this season was totally pointless.

Edited by LonghornSean

3 minutes ago, LonghornSean said:

And yes Bronn should have been fried by Drogon at the Loot Train attack after nailing him with the Scorpion.  Would have been a memorable way for Bronn to go out.  His use this season was totally pointless.

Who would've made the Brothel jokes in the series finale though.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

+1.  I'm not as pissed as everyone else.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

I mean she burned all of the threats didn't she?  The dragon was guarding the doorway.

Uhhh.........Jon Snow was still drawing breath...........and she knew he could get by the dragon.

11 minutes ago, d2o said:

Uhhh.........Jon Snow was still drawing breath...........and she knew he could get by the dragon.

She had no reason to think he’d kill her. Plus she loved him and thought she could convince him to love her again. 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 8:17 PM, Hugo Stiglitz said:

My predictions:

Sansa comes out on top.  She might not get the throne but she survives.

Tyrion, Daenerys, Davos, and Greyworm die.

Not sure about Jon Snow or Arya Stark.  Both could die or survive. 

Yara, who gives a shit? 

Bran becomes a tree. 

Illyrio Mopatis showing up in the final episode would be awesome. 

youre pretty fucking bad at this game.

• Like 2

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread