Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

Just watched the season 8 doc and that was disappointing. The whole thing was about a make up artist missing her daughter, the “snow” coordinator,  an extra from the Stark’s and a tiny bit about the knight king actor. Hardly any interviews with the main characters and none of D&D. What a waste of 2hrs. 

10 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Wife was traveling so we just finished.  Anyone left out there think that these idiot writers didn’t  suck?

I’ll read the thread but fuck me they sure as hell did not vindicate themselves with this garbage last episode.  

i dunno how far back you're going, but if you go back far enough it's going it be hilarious to watch the entire thread melt down and demand that i be banned from posting because i dissed the writing. it gets quietly swept under the rug after a couple more episodes, but my god the meltdown was childish and widespread.

and i know,'i know- i'm not supposed to be allowed to point this stuff out because then i'm "making it all about me". but my god did half of this thread go full peak derka on me only to quietly slink away act like it never happened. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

i dunno how far back you're going, but if you go back far enough it's going it be hilarious to watch the entire thread melt down and demand that i be banned from posting because i dissed the writing. it gets quietly swept under the rug after a couple more episodes, but my god the meltdown was childish and widespread.

and i know,'i know- i'm not supposed to be allowed to point this stuff out because then i'm "making it all about me". but my god did half of this thread go full peak derka on me only to quietly slink away act like it never happened. 

My man Derka, look back.  I was right there with you.  I just tend to catch less shit around here.  Probably bc of where I matriculated from. Lol

Jokes aside, it sucks to feel vindicated.  These assholes ruined a lot of good work/writing.  Maybe the fat man can finish and we get a re-do.  Sadly, I’ll probably still be all in for the prequel.  I need to watch the first seasons again.  

Or Breaking Bad - damn they ended that perfectly.    

1 hour ago, Goo Punch said:

Ending was mediocre.  You still suck.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

Hey guys, derka was the only person the world to notice the show was getting worse!  What a smart snowflake! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

59 minutes ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Not in my opinion.  He was just so negative and whiny that eventually, people wanted him to shut the fuck up.

I think at that point a lot of people saw it going south but hoped to hell it would turn around.  Derka was shitting all over that hope and, in typical Derka fashion, got shit on hard, probably more than he deserved. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/29/2019 at 6:23 PM, DoneWithit said:

Just watched the season 8 doc and that was disappointing. The whole thing was about a make up artist missing her daughter, the “snow” coordinator,  an extra from the Stark’s and a tiny bit about the knight king actor. Hardly any interviews with the main characters and none of D&D. What a waste of 2hrs. 

Agree. Was boring as fuck and didn't cover anything a viewer would want to see.

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Derka's takes were often downright stupid. Like crowding a horde of Dothraki horsemen inside a castle's walls where they would have been completely useless and made things worse. He wasn't the only one with poorly thought out critiques, but he had more than anybody else.

go ahead and actually quote me if you're going to say some shit like this. my takes ended up getting piggybacked by essentially everyone here. and i never said a word about "crowding a horde of Dothraki inside castle walls", or anything remotely similar, so you're off to a really bad start. 

it's pretty pathetic how badly you guys can dish  it but can't take it, and even more pathetic how you'll delude yourselves in any way you need to so long as means you never have to admit that you were wrong or that i was right.

when i was wrong about sam ehlinger i never heard the end of it even after admitting that i was wrong and praising him several times. people still were out for blood. i had been wrong about something and damn it needed to pay. now then- was i out for blood when this entire thread did a 180 and suddenly started parroting me? did i constantly bump the thread and demand you guys' heads for being wrong? no. did i muck up the thread during the last several episodes going, "see, i was right the whole time, you all agree with me now, admit you were wrong!!" no i did not. you know why?

because *you guys* are the ones who freak out and go spastic. not me. been that way for a long time now. check this thread. check the ehlinger thread. check the facts when it comes to these huge freak outs that revolve around me. i don't cause the hysteria, you do. both when i'm wrong and when i'm right in these situations, it is *you guys* who melt down, curse at me, neg bomb me, incessantly whine and demand that i be banned, not the other way around. that's a fact. 100% fact. 

take the loss, then take a hard look in the mirror. i'm not the one who freaks out, acts like a child, and can't admit when he's wrong. and we've got two major recent examples to prove it. own that shit.

Edited by Goo Punch

You mean when he expresses the same sentiment that everybody already had, but shouts it 10x as loudly in a diary-length missive, then later cries just as loudly for recognition?

It's not just what one says, it's how one says it.

Nobody:

Derka: STOP PICKING ON ME

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

23 hours ago, Barry_McCokiner said:
Not in my opinion.  He was just so negative and whiny that eventually, people wanted him to shut the fuck up.

you guys and your pos rep circle jerk can keep deluding yourselves and lying about the situation all you want, but the shit you're saying is patently false. 

•yes, my reviews were negative, because the episodes were bad. 

•no, i was not whiny, that would you and 50 of your closest fanboys who immediately went spastic at my (justified) negativity towards the show.

•"eventually people wanted him to shut the fuck up". yeah, see my last bullet point and note the word "immediately". the meltdown was immediate, it was widespread, it was incredibly whiny, and it was a typical shaggy/derka interaction. i say something some people don't like, these people absolutely meltdown, and then you all rally around each other and pat each other on the back for it. just own when you're wrong and move on.

Edited by Goo Punch

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Derka's takes were often downright stupid. Like crowding a horde of Dothraki horsemen inside a castle's walls where they would have been completely useless and made things worse. He wasn't the only one with poorly thought out critiques, but he had more than anybody else.

More.  And louder.

You’re wrong. You never charge your cavalry outside the walls when you’re under siege. Inside they could have dismounted and used their superior arrow skills to man the defenses. Other Dothraki could use their cavalry to shore up weaknesses and communicate inside.

But even before that, a dragon, dothraki and other scouts should have been used to harass and scout the movements of the enemy so they would have an idea what they were dealing with.

What ended up happening was a contrived frontal charge into a horde of the undead that was used as a cool scene where their flaming blades got extinguished. What they were missing was Rose Tico crashing into them and yelling “We’ll win by saving those we love!”

What they also didn’t do was use the Dothraki to protect the flanks if they insisted on meeting the Undead in open ground. Or keeping them in reserve for flanking maneuvers or surprise attacks. Of course, you couldn’t outflank them because they outnumbered your forces at least 5:1. At least that is until the CGI gods multiplied their numbers in the final episode.
  • Like 1

The military tactic display was a joke for sure.  I think it's possible to look past things like that though in a fantasy series.  To me that's nitpicking.  Plenty of other legit criticisms.  When watching live episodes 1 and 2 were fine and played out as basic filler episodes.  They had no time for filler though so in the grand scheme those were dumb.  I liked 3, and 4,5, and 6 all were mediocre to bad at best.

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

You mean when he expresses the same sentiment that everybody already had, but shouts it 10x as loudly in a diary-length missive, then later cries just as loudly for recognition?

Nobody:

Except that’s not what happened. He had a differing opinion and was shouted down for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Nobody:

A million x this

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

• 4 months later...

The upcoming #GameOfThrones prequel series starring Naomi Watts has been cancelled by HBO. I guess the pilot didn't really wow executives. Another GOT pilot has been green lit but not shot.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/game-of-thrones-prequel-pilot-dead-hbo-jane-goldman-naomi-watts-1202771609/

Edited by Pasken

The nerd sites claim that HBO was concerned about the very limited source material for the series and GRRM's level of interest in the project.  The replacement series is based on Fire & Blood and Martin will be significantly more involved that he would have been in the terminated series.  HBO basically determined that the terminated series presented too much of a TLJ risk to the GOT brand.      

• 1 year later...
  • immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread