Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

The Ringer ran an article yesterday examining the rough draft outline George Martin wrote for his publisher in 1993.  There's a most likely fairly big spoiler regarding Jon Snow and Tyrion.  I'm kind of irritated I read it.

I don’t think it’s going to be spoiler at all. Having read the article and seen the outline only the general framework has stayed the same. Almost all the characters have gone on completely different paths than he wrote out.

The Tyrion stuff is not going to be what is in the show(or the books) imo.

I don’t think it’s going to be spoiler at all. Having read the article and seen the outline only the general framework has stayed the same. Almost all the characters have gone on completely different paths than he wrote out.

The Tyrion stuff is not going to be what is in the show(or the books) imo.

Perhaps, but a lot of to so far has been the same. Also, Tyrion was pissed when he found out Jon was banging her.

30 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

I think it could also mean one of the protagonists takes the throne, but we see they are corrupted and history is going to repeat itself.  I don’t think Jon could ever break bad, but they’ve shown hints of Dany having some similarities to the Mad King.  Tyrion has the potential to be a mini-Tywin if he’s pushed over the edge.  

tyrion doesn't seem to want to be the guy.  he wants to be the guy that the main guy relies on for advice.  i doubt that changes.

i bet there is some scene where he is confronted with a decision that pits his loyalty/beliefs vs his family/legacy.  will be interesting.  he and jamie have had great character arcs.

9 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

I'm not sure Arya will be wearing a face when she makes a high profile kill like Cersei.  If she can spar Brienne to a draw, she can kill the lower level kings guard en masse with ease . 

wrong again.  you’re making a habit of that. 

I'm not sure Arya will be wearing a face when she makes a high profile kill like Cersei.  If she can spar Brienne to a draw, she can kill the lower level kings guard en masse with ease . 

Loco, it’s not like brienne could just roll through a bunch of Kong’s guard. Maybe give any one fits, but not bunches

The NK and his army don't want to rule anything. They rise up every few thousand years and "whitewash" everything but a small remnant from existence. The entire world  is basically destroyed with the small remnant growing over time and history repeating itself. Whomever is left on the Iron Throne basically rules over nothing. 

have never read the books so this has probably been disproved but it's what I've always thought.

9 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

tyrion doesn't seem to want to be the guy.  he wants to be the guy that the main guy relies on for advice.  i doubt that changes.

i bet there is some scene where he is confronted with a decision that pits his loyalty/beliefs vs his family/legacy.  will be interesting.  he and jamie have had great character arcs.

the two that seem to want it the most are dany and cersei. not sure how relevant their ambitions are though. 

in practically every season, dragonglass, wildfire, and valerian steel have been a major focus.  I do not see the night king surviving this with that kind of foreshadowing.  that's just my take though.   it would actually be pretty cool to see him sitting on the iron throne in the last scene of the show.

13 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Perhaps, but a lot of to so far has been the same. Also, Tyrion was pissed when he found out Jon was banging her.

You sure? That scene could be, and has been, interpreted in a multitude of ways.  I didn't think he was Pissed.  Maybe worried about what this means...or at worst he had the same look Ser Friendzone has all the time.

15 minutes ago, Drew said:

You sure? That scene could be, and has been, interpreted in a multitude of ways.  I didn't think he was Pissed.  Maybe worried about what this means...or at worst he had the same look Ser Friendzone has all the time.

the way i interpreted it was that they were committing incest but didnt know it.  i got the feeling tyrion did, and was conflicted on whether he should interfere or not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, futureman said:

wrong again.  you’re making a habit of that. 

5 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Loco, it’s not like brienne could just roll through a bunch of Kong’s guard. Maybe give any one fits, but not bunches

They could both roll.  Not if they were surrounded, but like in a line running down a hallway Brienne would easily go through the lower level Kings Guard one on one.  The officers might take more effort, but she would pretty much embarrass them too.  Arya could also move through those same KG but in a different way.  She doesn't need a face to do it.  Arya sparred Brienne to a draw and Brienne is one of the elite combatants we've seen on the show.  She's top ten.  Arya is an elite assassin now.  I know the transformation seems a little abrupt, but that's the facts.  Arya is small and Brienne is big so they are different fighters but they could both move through Kings Guard fairly easily.       

10 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

They could both roll.  Not if they were surrounded, but like in a line running down a hallway Brienne would easily go through the lower level Kings Guard one on one.  The officers might take more effort, but she would pretty much embarrass them too.  Arya could also move through those same KG but in a different way.  She doesn't need a face to do it.  Arya sparred Brienne to a draw and Brienne is one of the elite combatants we've seen on the show.  She's top ten.  Arya is an elite assassin now.  I know the transformation seems a little abrupt, but that's the facts.  Arya is small and Brienne is big so they are different fighters but they could both move through Kings Guard fairly easily.       

at the end of the day brienne is still just a woman.  lots of women can beat a dude’s ass.  the best female  fighters in the world would still get their asses beat by the lowest rungs of male ufc fighters.  the kings guard would have brienne staring at her entrails in her hands while she was still taking breath.  

1 minute ago, futureman said:

at the end of the day brienne is still just a woman.  lots of women can beat a dude’s ass.  the best female  fighters in the world would still get their asses beat by the lowest rungs of male ufc fighters.  the kings guard would have brienne staring at her entrails in her hands while she was still taking breath.  

No no no.  Brienne beat the Hound.  She's top ten on the show.  

20 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I also think the bittersweet ending likely means someone sympathetic “wins” but at such great cost that it’s almost a Pyrrhic victory, with some poignant hero deaths at or near the end.

I think it could also mean one of the protagonists takes the throne, but we see they are corrupted and history is going to repeat itself.  I don’t think Jon could ever break bad, but they’ve shown hints of Dany having some similarities to the Mad King.  Tyrion has the potential to be a mini-Tywin if he’s pushed over the edge.  

It would be a pretty classic tragedy if the story is ultimately about people who start out with good intentions eventually becoming what they initially hated, and history repeating itself.  Basically, Michael Corleone becoming The Godfather in fantasy dragon land.  

And in some ways, the most frustrating and depressing ending would be to have all these people fight the White Walkers, see the world destroyed before their eyes, all their friends die ... and then once it’s over immediately go back to the same bullshit intrigues and petty squabbles over a title that started all the mess.  If nobody learns anything, and the message is that good guys are doomed to eventually break bad and the cycle will never be broken, that’s almost more bleak than just letting Cersei or the NK win.  It’s probably more unsettling to your real world psyche/subconscious to doubt whether anyone can actually be good, and to leave things without a resolution, than it is to see the fictitious zombie win a battle.

My God, this would be a brilliantly poetic and perfect "ending" to the neverending story of the Seven Deadly Sins (of the High Septa).

Added bonus: It would provide a believable background for future money-making sequels that could last until my own death in the bed of a nursing home.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:06 PM, futureman said:

Oh, so that can't happen because it isn't realistic enough? Like a magic ice wall that keeps zombies out? Or dragons? Or actual attractive people in an incestuous relationship? 

On 4/5/2019 at 3:12 PM, futureman said:

comical

Wait seriously? Cuz Brienne is not only as big and strong as all of the men in the show, she’s shown she’s better than most as well. She’s run through a pretty good list of what are supposed to be the best sword fighters in Westeros. Loras Tyrell, Jaime Lannister, and the Hound all were pretty easily beaten by her.

On 4/5/2019 at 3:08 PM, PRONG HORN said:

No no no.  Brienne beat the Hound.  She's top ten on the show.  

A Hound that was delirious and stumbling around after someone took a bite out of his neck.  Wasn't close to Peak Hound, and he still knocked her down several times, plus she was wearing plate and he wasn't.

Are we really comparing a hypothetical battle between non-existent characters in a fantasy TV show?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

I've said this before but I think GRRM is beta-testing the "ending" with HBO.  If the crowd goes wild, he'll flesh it out in more detail (or pay someone to ghost write it for him) in the books.  More likely, because 2019, there will be a huge outrage and cry-fest online.  Two weeks after the finale, GRRM will start to put out the narrative of: "Those idiots at HBO ruined my masterpiece.  I didn't want the ending they shot but they did it anyway.  You'll need to buy the book to find out how the story REALLY ends."

...who are we kidding, he won't finish the series, ever.  He'll be even less motivated to do it now.  Fat fuck.

9 hours ago, PilotsError said:

I never made the connection between Syrio and the faceless man, but I've watched that scene a hundred times over the years and I've always noticed the metal swords falling to the ground. I never bought Syrio's death.

There is a sword literally sitting by his feet in the last shot you see of him. No way he didn't use it.

I never made the connection between Syrio and the faceless man, but I've watched that scene a hundred times over the years and I've always noticed the metal swords falling to the ground. I never bought Syrio's death.

Yep I always realize I never pay enough attention to shit
  • Like 1

I think i'm going to watch the episode where Arya starts training with Syrio Forel.  Ned Stark would not have let her hang out with some dude in a place like Westeros.  He was so fond of saying just how dangerous it was there.  So did Ned know that he came from the house of black and white, and was possibly a faceless man?  Weird that Ned possibly knew and was friends with the faceless Assassins.  I wonder if that episode shows how Ned introduced Arya to Syrio.  

46 minutes ago, seven said:

Syrio was the first sword of bravvos, I don't think he's a faceless man and also he's dead af

What if he was killed by Jaqen H'ghar before even setting foot in Kings Landing, and it was Jaqen wearing his face who was actually training Arya? 

14 hours ago, PRONG HORN said:

I think i'm going to watch the episode where Arya starts training with Syrio Forel.  Ned Stark would not have let her hang out with some dude in a place like Westeros.  He was so fond of saying just how dangerous it was there.  So did Ned know that he came from the house of black and white, and was possibly a faceless man?  Weird that Ned possibly knew and was friends with the faceless Assassins.  I wonder if that episode shows how Ned introduced Arya to Syrio.  

I assume the theory goes that Ned purposely hired a faceless man to train/protect Arya while they were in KL, knowing that the faceless men are the best of the best, could be counted on to fulfill their contract, and stay undercover at all times. I don't think it's a stretch at all that Ned would have known of them - he's a major lord with lots of knowledge of the world and the show has pointed out how famous the faceless men are throughout the world.

2 hours ago, seven said:

Syrio was the first sword of bravvos, I don't think he's a faceless man and also he's dead af

That analysis video posted up thread (Jesus, we're nerds) makes a good point, though - the fuck is the former first sword of Braavos (evidently a big deal) doing training little girls in Westeros? Hell of a demotion if that's what he's truly up to these days.

I personally lean toward Syrio = Jaqen, but I also think it's just kinda a random Easter egg and won't really end up being important or relevant to much. The internet needs to start embracing the fact that in a story this big, we're going to end up with a ton of stuff that leads nowhere and loose ends.

Edited by tokamak

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread