Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

I don't know if Syrio=Jaqen, but it is no more a stretch than black haired Jon Snow being a son of a platinum haired Targarian.  Especially given Ned Stark's evidence about Joffery, not being a Baratheon.

And it is interesting that Syrio disappears just before Jaqen arrives. So why was Jaqen in the cage going to the Wall?  Was the great assassin actually captured?

24 minutes ago, 77horn said:

I don't know if Syrio=Jaqen, but it is no more a stretch than black haired Jon Snow being a son of a platinum haired Targarian.  Especially given Ned Stark's evidence about Joffery, not being a Baratheon.

And it is interesting that Syrio disappears just before Jaqen arrives. So why was Jaqen in the cage going to the Wall?  Was the great assassin actually captured?

Well technically that was proof that Lannisters have blonde hair and Baratheon's all have dark hair, nothing about hereditary strength of Targaryens' hair.

Edited by LonghornSean

I've always thought it was fascinating just how powerful and present Ned Stark is, even after getting whacked early in the show's run.  He remains a main character well beyond his death and his invisible hand continues to force the actions of others and change the direction of lives, long after he's gone.  

1 hour ago, 77horn said:

Even that kinda fits with the theory. Arya is going to the wall with a bunch of kids and prisoners rounded up in Kings Landing. If Syrio = Jaqen, and he's still keeping an eye on her, he needs some cover to join that group. Change faces, get yourself captured, and voila.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 11:57 AM, Horn of Gabriel said:

I've said this before but I think GRRM is beta-testing the "ending" with HBO.  If the crowd goes wild, he'll flesh it out in more detail (or pay someone to ghost write it for him) in the books.  More likely, because 2019, there will be a huge outrage and cry-fest online.  Two weeks after the finale, GRRM will start to put out the narrative of: "Those idiots at HBO ruined my masterpiece.  I didn't want the ending they shot but they did it anyway.  You'll need to buy the book to find out how the story REALLY ends."

...who are we kidding, he won't finish the series, ever.  He'll be even less motivated to do it now.  Fat fuck.

Exactly what I've been saying for years.  He told them how the series ends but not exactly how to get there(because the fat fuck didn't know himself, prompting us to believe he was stuck), they found a way to do it(much to many people chagrin), and now they'll finish the show the way he wanted it to be done, with maybe a few tweaks.

Then GRRM will get to say "that's not what I wanted" and get to fix anything that doesn't quite work.

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I've always thought it was fascinating just how powerful and present Ned Stark is, even after getting whacked early in the show's run.  He remains a main character well beyond his death and his invisible hand continues to force the actions of others and change the direction of lives, long after he's gone.  

So fucking true.  And not just that, just remember how important Sean Bean was.  I'll be honest, I knew very little about GoT before I saw the few teaser with Sean Fucking Bean in it.  When I did it instantly hooked me and I figured out what it was based on and just consumed all I could.

It's hard to imagine the show being the success it was right off the bat with Sean Bean being cast, and brining his weight to it.  As much as people may have known Lena Headly and maybe a few others, HE was the one that everyone knew(Thanks to LoTR)

14 hours ago, Drew said:

Exactly what I've been saying for years.  He told them how the series ends but not exactly how to get there(because the fat fuck didn't know himself, prompting us to believe he was stuck), they found a way to do it(much to many people chagrin), and now they'll finish the show the way he wanted it to be done, with maybe a few tweaks.

Then GRRM will get to say "that's not what I wanted" and get to fix anything that doesn't quite work.

So fucking true.  And not just that, just remember how important Sean Bean was.  I'll be honest, I knew very little about GoT before I saw the few teaser with Sean Fucking Bean in it.  When I did it instantly hooked me and I figured out what it was based on and just consumed all I could.

It's hard to imagine the show being the success it was right off the bat with Sean Bean being cast, and brining his weight to it.  As much as people may have known Lena Headly and maybe a few others, HE was the one that everyone knew(Thanks to LoTR)

GRRM lost the narrative and the initiative. I feel bad for anyone still waiting on the next books. Tubby will make whatever claims he wants, but we won’t be reading about boiled leather and banners again until the inheritor of his story picks up the keyboard after GRRM’s death. 

712d8ee642b876c9b45df74fb7143e6f.gif
  • Like 2

I had seen a youtube video breaking down the final season trailer...showing the Stark kids running through the crypts below Winterfell.  It was mentioned maybe dead Starks will be raised from the dead (assuming actually physically buried there), and used by the WW.  Or maybe the good guys wind magic tricks to do the same and dead Starks rise to help them.  5 more days!!!

I forgot how awesome The Winds of Winter (S06E10) was.

That opening ~15 minute sequence - the trial, Cersei casually drinking her wine, Pycelle getting his comeuppance, Lancel dying, and finally the Sept blowing apart, all with that gorgeous piano in the background - was simply incredible.

The episode then went on to show Jon being recognized as King of the North, Arya killing Walder Frey in glorious fashion, the Tower of Joy revelation regarding Jon’s birth, and finally Daenerys and her army crossing the Narrow Sea.

One of the best episodes of the series.

• Like 5

On 4/9/2019 at 12:50 PM, tokamak said:

I personally lean toward Syrio = Jaqen, but I also think it's just kinda a random Easter egg and won't really end up being important or relevant to much. The internet needs to start embracing the fact that in a story this big, we're going to end up with a ton of stuff that leads nowhere and loose ends.

What like the Russian in the Sopranos?

Seinfeld finale is the first show I watched a final with anticipation (Big Disappointment).  The Sopranos was the next (they did OK) but Game of Thrones is just a different level anticipation wise. If the writers don't screw it up and try to even come close to what G.R.R.M would have done we will witness a lot of people we like in the show die and we will not know who the hell remains. Now the problem is I expect Fan Fiction from this guys just like last year and it is going to make season 8 somewhat of a disappointment. Here is to hoping I am wrong.

29 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Seinfeld finale is the first show I watched a final with anticipation (Big Disappointment).  The Sopranos was the next (they did OK) but Game of Thrones is just a different level anticipation wise. If the writers don't screw it up and try to even come close to what G.R.R.M would have done we will witness a lot of people we like in the show die and we will not know who the hell remains. Now the problem is I expect Fan Fiction from this guys just like last year and it is going to make season 8 somewhat of a disappointment. Here is to hoping I am wrong.

good stuff.  I hear what you’re putting down

On 4/9/2019 at 12:50 PM, tokamak said:

I assume the theory goes that Ned purposely hired a faceless man to train/protect Arya while they were in KL, knowing that the faceless men are the best of the best, could be counted on to fulfill their contract, and stay undercover at all times. I don't think it's a stretch at all that Ned would have known of them - he's a major lord with lots of knowledge of the world and the show has pointed out how famous the faceless men are throughout the world.

That analysis video posted up thread (Jesus, we're nerds) makes a good point, though - the fuck is the former first sword of Braavos (evidently a big deal) doing training little girls in Westeros? Hell of a demotion if that's what he's truly up to these days.

I personally lean toward Syrio = Jaqen, but I also think it's just kinda a random Easter egg and won't really end up being important or relevant to much. The internet needs to start embracing the fact that in a story this big, we're going to end up with a ton of stuff that leads nowhere and loose ends.

Yeah, I’ll be surprised if the show writers spend any of their remaining time giving an answer to this, though I bet the books will give us the answer whenever they’re finished by whoever finishes them.

On 4/9/2019 at 1:03 PM, 77horn said:

Huh? I think you’ve got the point from the Joffrey evidence backwards. Not to get all bookish, but Targaryen traits are recessive, not dominant, which is part of why they inbreed in order to keep the platinum hair. When they don’t inbreed, the traits don’t usually show up, so it’s not a stretch at all for Jon to have dark hair when he’s only half Targ.

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

I'm sure someone up thread has thought of this, but the best ending would be a black screen for 20 seconds after the last scene and then going to the bedroom of a high rise apartment with Bob Newhart waking up next to Lena Headey (filling in for Suzanne Pleshette) and saying, "Honey, you wouldn't believe the dream I've had."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I forgot how awesome The Winds of Winter (S06E10) was.

That opening ~15 minute sequence - the trial, Cersei casually drinking her wine, Pycelle getting his comeuppance, Lancel dying, and finally the Sept blowing apart, all with that gorgeous piano in the background - was simply incredible.

Yeah that music in that opening 9 minutes or so is amazing.  It is called Light of the Seven.

I missed the free preview start on HBO so I have seasons 4-7 set to record in the next few days. However it won’t allow me to watch 2-3 and I’m late to this party. Anywhere to see those seasons without having to pay per episode?

Sign up HBO Now ($15ish/month) or just regular HBO through your TV provider. Then you can watch all episodes on demand. No need to pay per episode.

15 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Huh? I think you’ve got the point from the Joffrey evidence backwards. Not to get all bookish, but Targaryen traits are recessive, not dominant, which is part of why they inbreed in order to keep the platinum hair. When they don’t inbreed, the traits don’t usually show up, so it’s not a stretch at all for Jon to have dark hair when he’s only half Targ.

I think you guys who have berated me as not understanding recessive/dominate,  ok I agree, but my point is two fold.  First Jon has for his entire life been Eddard's bastard, but we are being told now he is Targaryen.  I see that as being a being a bigger twist than Syrio being alive and a faceless man.   Part two is that while Bran has seen it in his vision, how will the people become convinced Jon is Targaryen?  His life's story is about being a bastard.  He doesn't look the part. The first reaction of the banner men houses will be "bullshit". 

As to Syrio=Jaqen, its fun to speculate on a message board, but I suspect it won't get cleared up in the final 6 episodes.

GRRM lost the narrative and the initiative. I feel bad for anyone still waiting on the next books. Tubby will make whatever claims he wants, but we won’t be reading about boiled leather and banners again until the inheritor of his story picks up the keyboard after GRRM’s death. 

I have wondered if GRRM, if indeed he finishes the books, will use the TV storylines to finish the series or come up with something completely different which will be very unstable

41 minutes ago, 77horn said:

I think you guys who have berated me as not understanding recessive/dominate,  ok I agree, but my point is two fold.  First Jon has for his entire life been Eddard's bastard, but we are being told now he is Targaryen.  I see that as being a being a bigger twist than Syrio being alive and a faceless man.   Part two is that while Bran has seen it in his vision, how will the people become convinced Jon is Targaryen?  His life's story is about being a bastard.  He doesn't look the part. The first reaction of the banner men houses will be "bullshit". 

As to Syrio=Jaqen, its fun to speculate on a message board, but I suspect it won't get cleared up in the final 6 episodes.

When he rides a dragon in Season 8, they’ll have a pretty good clue.

There’s another likely way to prove it, but that answer gets a little bookfaggish, so I’ll leave it out.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I have wondered if GRRM, if indeed he finishes the books, will use the TV storylines to finish the series or come up with something completely different which will be very unstable

He won’t finish, but I do think he quit even trying to make any progress the last three years because he wants to see how his original idea for the ending will be received. He realizes GOT will be seen as his entire existence and he’s paralyzed with fear at how people will receive the ending, which is why he’s been waiting. But it’s also why there’s a snowball’s chance in hell he ever finishes. I don’t think he can handle people’s reactions to however he would decide to wrap up the series and he knows it.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

He’s a contrarian by nature, so I’ve always assumed that if he finishes the books, they’ll be different than the show. 

I’m curious how many folks who have read the books will also read the remaining works when they’re completed. I’ve read the books and watched the show, and my view is that I won’t be going back to read the final stories. I’ve lost interest in the written storyline now that the narrative has been captured by the show. I realize my behaviors may not be the norm, hence my curiosity about how others see it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mileslong said:

I have not read the books but even like that I think GRRM is a huge asshole. His fan base made him what he is today. They trusted him enough to get invested in a series a books and the dipshit has gone off working on distractions and has not given his fan base a book and has lead them on for such a very long time now. They are still waiting to see if John Snow is really dead. So who cares what he does. He has been a dick to his fan base and did not live up to the commitments he made to HBO.

I think the books show that there was a wedded union between Jon Snow's mother and father.  I don't think there is anything to prove that Jon Snow was actually a product of that union - other than the Three-eyed Raven.  I very easily could have missed something, though.

My Top 5 Favorite Scenes....

5.  Dracarys 

4. Red Wedding

3. Every chicken in the room.

2. I will be your champion.

1. All of the Tyrion/Cersei one on one conversations.

So ready for Season 8.  Will be bittersweet no matter what the ending is, because it's the end of a great series.

Edited by UncleCharlie

46 minutes ago, UncleCharlie said:

My Top 5 Favorite Scenes....

5.  Dracarys 

4. Red Wedding

3. Every chicken in the room.

2. I will be your champion.

1. All of the Tyrion/Cersei one on one conversations.

So ready for Season 8.  Will be bittersweet no matter what the ending is, because it's the end of a great series.

5. Bronn in the cells with the hunnies

4. dany free unsullied 

3.  bruh idk... . dothraki vs lannisters. battle of bastards, hardhome "talk to elders". janos refusing jon snow orders. arya with tywin 

2. imp on trial " i wish i had"

1. baby Jon/little bear callin lords out/ King In The North

Edited by kingkoopa6

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread