Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread

dad

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He’s a contrarian by nature, so I’ve always assumed that if he finishes the books, they’ll be different than the show. 

I’m curious how many folks who have read the books will also read the remaining works when they’re completed. I’ve read the books and watched the show, and my view is that I won’t be going back to read the final stories. I’ve lost interest in the written storyline now that the narrative has been captured by the show. I realize my behaviors may not be the norm, hence my curiosity about how others see it. 

The first 5 books were too good for me to not read 6 and 7, regardless of the author. The show passing them up definitely dampers my enthusiasm though. 

The show is going to use his originally-planned ending, but he only gave it to them in very broad bullet points, so there will be a ton of wiggle room for him even if the same person ends up on the throne in both, which I think will happen (assuming he even ever writes an ending). he invested too much into the books to completely change the person who wins the Game of Thrones, which he’s had in mind since the very beginning.  Plus, I lost enough confidence in the show writers during season 7 that I bet GRRM would never close the series the way they will anyways. But I do think he’ll guage the overall reaction and That will affect his choices of how to close it.

im also not the average book reader. Most people have a pretty visceral reaction to GRRM at this point, but I honestly think that while he acts like he doesn’t care to finish and got caught up in his own fame, it’s his crippling fear of how people will perceive him that holds him back. I mean he finished a transcript of book 6 in like 2012 and released multiple full chapters, so it’s either crippling fear or he really is just such an asshole that he refuses to finish even though he’s been basically done with book 6 for like 7 years now.

I lean towards the fear reason which makes him a little more sympathetic figure IMO, even though I’m still not his biggest fan at this point.

1 hour ago, PilotsError said:

There's Howland Reid I guess.  But he's only been shown in a flashback on TV.  

Of course, him being a Targaryen could be of zero concern to anyone since the White Walkers are about to descend.  it's possible only a handful of people end up knowing it.

I think as someone else pointed out, there’s documentation of the wedding and potentially Jon’s birthname, but there’s also another thing that would be evidence of Jon’s lineage and also be a supporting fact to the marriage. 

Overall though, I think it will become known he’s a Targ because there are certain physical manifestations that only apply to that bloodline. 

Edited by Burt Macklin

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Overall though, I think it will become known he’s a Targ because there are certain physical manifestations that only apply to that bloodline. 

What does this mean? That he can't be burned? That he's going to develop purple eyes? What else could you be referring to, here? I haven't read the books in years and I don't follow this shit in ASIAF forums and whatever, so not sure what else possible from memory since I don't think he's going to be revealed as wearing a wig this whole time.

Just now, closetojumping said:

What does this mean? That he can't be burned? That he's going to develop purple eyes? What else could you be referring to, here? I haven't read the books in years and I don't follow this shit in ASIAF forums and whatever, so not sure what else possible from memory since I don't think he's going to be revealed as wearing a wig this whole time.

Yeah, I think it’ll be either fire or Dragon riding, which has traditionally only been done by Targareans. I think there are a few exceptions of that. Some other person who’s read all the books by GRRM that are peripheral to the main story could give a more definite answer. But regardless, it would prove that he’s likely not Ned’s kid.

Jon was already burned by fire in season 1 when he killed the wight. (The fire-proof thing is a weird deviation from the book) He might ride a dragon which, while it's not technically necessary to be a Targaryen, is widely seen as a Targaryen trait and would give him legitimacy. I think it will become known through both Bran telling people about his weirwood visions and Sam finding the documents in the Citadel. Then seeing him on a dragon will convince any doubters.

59 minutes ago, Viper said:

Jon was already burned by fire in season 1 when he killed the wight. (The fire-proof thing is a weird deviation from the book) He might ride a dragon which, while it's not technically necessary to be a Targaryen, is widely seen as a Targaryen trait and would give him legitimacy. I think it will become known through both Bran telling people about his weirwood visions and Sam finding the documents in the Citadel. Then seeing him on a dragon will convince any doubters.

This is what I have been figuring would solidify it.

Also I will read the books if they ever come out.  But I am just as fed up with GRRM's dumb ass as the rest of yous.

• Like 1

My Top 5 Favorite Scenes....
5.  Dracarys 
4. Red Wedding
3. Every chicken in the room.
2. I will be your champion.
1. All of the Tyrion/Cersei one on one conversations.

So ready for Season 8.  Will be bittersweet no matter what the ending is, because it's the end of a great series.
Light of the Seven.

Enviado desde mi SM-G950U mediante Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If that fat douche bag ever does finish another book I wouldn't read it If he personally brought an autographed copy to my house accompanied by Emma Watson saying she would blow me while I read it.

I don't believe you.  As for me, I would read it very slowly if Emma Watson is blowing me the whole time I read it.

There sure is a lot of book talk in here, but since we are talking about hypothetical books that don't exist, or at least haven't been published, I guess it doesn't matter.  If he is actually worried about backlash, then I'm hoping he has them finished, and wants them to be released posthumously, so he doesn't have to endure the criticism. 

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Viserys was Targaryen and he died when molten gold was poured on his head. The unburnt thing seems like a Daenerys thing rather than a hereditary thing 

2 hours ago, Viper said:

Jon was already burned by fire in season 1 when he killed the wight.

When was that?  I just rewatched the series while bedridden from knee surgery and all I remember is him throwing the lantern on the wight (and burned his hand in the process).  I could be wrong though, that was still season 1 while on nice pain meds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

He’s a contrarian by nature, so I’ve always assumed that if he finishes the books, they’ll be different than the show. 

I’m curious how many folks who have read the books will also read the remaining works when they’re completed. I’ve read the books and watched the show, and my view is that I won’t be going back to read the final stories. I’ve lost interest in the written storyline now that the narrative has been captured by the show. I realize my behaviors may not be the norm, hence my curiosity about how others see it. 

utter bullshit.  you’ll read the new books.  you know you’ll read them. 

4 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I’m honestly curious what motivated you to do that. I’m assuming you spent a lot of time being confused.

Well, i watched season one because i was getting HBO for free at the time and they were showing it. Wanted to see what all the hoopla was about. Thought it was very good.

Same goes for season 6, it was on so i watched it. Yeah, i was confused on a lot of it and spend a lot of time on IMDB seeing who was related to who.

I was entertained while watching so i didn't let the details i didn't know bother me too much. I'll go back and watch all the seasons one of these days.

Funny thing is, i didn't watch Sons of Anarchy until the last season. Then went back and watched them all from the beginning. So i knew what characters would eventually die but didn't know how or when. I still enjoyed it

So was the white walker in the last episode of season 7 a Targaryen?
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Angry Gorilla said:

When was that?  I just rewatched the series while bedridden from knee surgery and all I remember is him throwing the lantern on the wight (and burned his hand in the process).  I could be wrong though, that was still season 1 while on nice pain meds.

Don't remember the episode, buts what you described, he burnt his hand. Dany picked up that red-hot stone egg and her hands were fine. Ergo he's not fire proof. Now I don't completely discount that the writers will forget that and make him fireproof too but I doubt it. 

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

Don't remember the episode, buts what you described, he burnt his hand. Dany picked up that red-hot stone egg and her hands were fine. Ergo he's not fire proof. Now I don't completely discount that the writers will forget that and make him fireproof too but I doubt it. 

You're right, my bad.  I misread your post.

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

There sure is a lot of book talk in here, but since we are talking about hypothetical books that don't exist, or at least haven't been published, I guess it doesn't matter.  If he is actually worried about backlash, then I'm hoping he has them finished, and wants them to be released posthumously, so he doesn't have to endure the criticism. 

I'd be happy to speed to process along if that's the hold up

• Like 1

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

i have exactly your position, and it has to do with the fact that GRRM abdicated his role in telling the story by fucking off for the better part of a decade.

My Top 5 Favorite Scenes....
5.  Dracarys 
4. Red Wedding
3. Every chicken in the room.
2. I will be your champion.
1. All of the Tyrion/Cersei one on one conversations.

So ready for Season 8.  Will be bittersweet no matter what the ending is, because it's the end of a great series.

5. Bronn in the cells with the hunnies
4. dany free unsullied 
3.  bruh idk... . dothraki vs lannisters. battle of bastards, hardhome "talk to elders". janos refusing jon snow orders. arya with tywin 
2. imp on trial " i wish i had"
1. baby Jon/little bear callin lords out/ King In The North

f12d8a1dabafd37627c4cd347b8bc21a.gif

They just replayed the Hound/Brienne fight scene on HBO.  JFC I forgot how crazy that was. I remembered it as a simple sword fight and kick off the ledge, but it's full on hand to hand combat, with donkey kick, head butt and rock to the head.

The Hound has always been my favorite character the show.  Rewatching his heartwarming speech to Arya afterward reminded my why. (And that dude is a good actor).

• Like 1

I'm the same as you. I won't finish the books. As far as I'm concerned HBO's version is the "official" GOT story. While the story is great, the books are a slog to get through. Once the story is finished I'm not going to read 1200 pages about food.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

They just replayed the Hound/Brienne fight scene on HBO.  JFC I forgot how crazy that was. I remembered it as a simple sword fight and kick off the ledge, but it's full on hand to hand combat, with donkey kick, head butt and rock to the head.

The Hound has always been my favorite character the show.  Rewatching his heartwarming speech to Arya afterward reminded my why. (And that dude is a good actor).

I'm re-watching the series, leading up to the new season.  I just finished that episode last night...such a kickass fight scene.  Add that to Arya's cold blooded leaving-Hound-to-die scene made it amazing.

As an aside, the Arya/Hound traveling together arch rivals Pullo/Vorenus from Rome, as my favorite traveling badass duo.  I can't wait to see what kind of whupass she opens up in season 8. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2019 at 8:02 AM, 77horn said:

Part two is that while Bran has seen it in his vision, how will the people become convinced Jon is Targaryen?  His life's story is about being a bastard.  He doesn't look the part. The first reaction of the banner men houses will be "bullshit". 

Easy

Same as MOD, walk-through/ survive fire. I’d imagine that is how he learns to believe it for himself (all assuming he is a TarGar)

3 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I'm re-watching the series, leading up to the new season.  I just finished that episode last night...such a kickass fight scene.  Add that to Arya's cold blooded leaving-Hound-to-die scene made it amazing.

As an aside, the Arya/Hound traveling together arch rivals Pullo/Vorenus from Rome, as my favorite traveling badass duo.  I can't wait to see what kind of whupass she opens up in season 8. 

Rome may be my all time favorite show and when Pullo/Vorenus were traveling that was indeed awesome, nice callback...

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Viserys was Targaryen and he died when molten gold was poured on his head. The unburnt thing seems like a Daenerys thing rather than a hereditary thing 

Of course, in the books she was not fireproof either. In the show, I just always figured she became fireproof when she was in the fire as the eggs hatched. they conferred the ability upon her, during that scene. Their inherent magic plus some of that blood magic still floating around the air, with the blood magic witch being burned on the pyre. Those things combined to imbue her with the fire immunity.

4 minutes ago, bamachine said:

Of course, in the books she was not fireproof either. In the show, I just always figured she became fireproof when she was in the fire as the eggs hatched. they conferred the ability upon her, during that scene. Their inherent magic plus some of that blood magic still floating around the air, with the blood magic witch being burned on the pyre. Those things combined to imbue her with the fire immunity.

There are two reasons we don't discuss the books in this thread.  One is to not spoil the show.  The other is to not spoil the books for those of us who have not read them yet, but intend to do so once the show is over.  Stop spoiling shit. 

4 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

There are two reasons we don't discuss the books in this thread.  One is to not spoil the show.  The other is to not spoil the books for those of us who have not read them yet, but intend to do so once the show is over.  Stop spoiling shit. 

I did not think I was spoiling anything. That is pretty much common knowledge, if you ever watched any videos about the show. It has been mentioned by GRRM, the show runners, the cast and it is not a major thing in the books. I do not even recall it coming up in the books, they just did stuff in the show they did not do in the books. Just as some things have been left out(which I will not mention, since it might spoil the books for some). 

Sorry if I crossed a line. Just did not see that as anything spoilery but I guess it might be for a few.

Unlikely they're gonna make Jon Snow fireproof, given we've seen him burn his hand, but they quite deliberately focused several moments on Drogon's reaction to him, in which the dragon's demeanor changed and he allowed Snow to pet him, as Dany watched with a bit of surprise.

That was a pretty cool way to refer to Jon's real identity and made for a great scene.

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Game of Thrones Season 8 (NO BOOKSPOILERS) thread