Help me buy a new television

• 1 month later...

Looking to upgrade our 40inch 4k to a 65 inch in the next month or so. I take it that the OLEDs are top of the line? They are easily the most expensive, starting around 2k or more. Is the difference really that big compared to a regular LED TV? What do you all recommend?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Looking to upgrade our 40inch 4k to a 65 inch in the next month or so. I take it that the OLEDs are top of the line? They are easily the most expensive, starting around 2k or more. Is the difference really that big compared to a regular LED TV? What do you all recommend?

Best Buy has the Sony 800 on sale for $699. That’s $500 off. Not oled but a very nice tv and a really good deal. I believe they have the 850 and 900 on sale too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Thanks, it has great reviews and is super affordable. Not sure if I'm ready to spend OLED money yet or if I'd even notice a difference

My sony a8g oled has a great picture but i do kinda have buyers remorse considering all of the compression that goes through hulu live and other things. That costed 2499 from BB, was 3000 10 months ago. The new a9g is like 3700 which is absolutely crazy...unless youre rich

Im on a BB credit card 2 yr, 0% finance so im chucking 200/mo at it for the next few months. It does look slick mounted on my wall tho. I guess for something i plan on buying once every 8-9-10 years, i may as well spend a little more and get what i want.

5 hours ago, iodeac said:

They are worth it, in my opinion. Yes, you can tell the difference, particularly in the lack of light bleed and those silky smooth blacks. 

5 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Best Buy has the Sony 800 on sale for $699. That’s $500 off. Not oled but a very nice tv and a really good deal. I believe they have the 850 and 900 on sale too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

screaming hot deal with incredible black levels at this price point.  Unless you are ready to go OLED, this is your deal

• 1 month later...

We need to bump this thread back up for the Superbowl deals.  I am finally retiring the old 50" Samsung, cutting the cord and pulling trigger on a new 55" or larger.  Looks like that Sony 800 is still hovering at $699 at Best Buy.  Tempting, but I think I will wait until closer to Superbowl Sunday to make my move.

If you have a small case of the poors, you're best off with the TCL 4 series. It's $299 for a 55 inch 4k tv and supports HDR10 plus has a roku installed. Also comes with a google nest mini, 3 months of free sirius xm, and a discount on Sling tv. 

95% of people that see your TV won't notice any difference between it and a similar sized TV that costs three times as much. 

Any thoughts on this one? Looking to replace a 8 yr old Samsung for my folks. It’s $600 at Best Buy. Basically just a TV for the old man to watch games and occasional NetFlix

Samsung - 49" Class - LED - Q60 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with 

On 12/23/2019 at 11:51 AM, StruggleBus said:

If you have a small case of the poors, you're best off with the TCL 4 series. It's $299 for a 55 inch 4k tv and supports HDR10 plus has a roku installed. Also comes with a google nest mini, 3 months of free sirius xm, and a discount on Sling tv. 

95% of people that see your TV won't notice any difference between it and a similar sized TV that costs three times as much. 

was shocked my friends doesn't have any picture controls except a few pre-set modes, I would think twice before using as a main room tv

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

was shocked my friends doesn't have any picture controls except a few pre-set modes, I would think twice before using as a main room tv

It does. There’s an advanced picture setting that’s fairly easy to set up. You just have to scroll to the bottom of the settings menu. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I pulled the trigger on a 65” Sony 850G at Costco over the weekend for $799. Contemplated paying a few hundred more for a 900 series somewhere else but just couldn’t justify it. Picture looks pretty damn good, the edge lit panel doesn’t bother me. considerable upgrade over my 55” Samsung.

I recommend the TCL 65" for $450 at Walmart.   Great picture, sound and as good a the Samsung I previously owned.  I got my brand new TCL 65" for free since Walmart sent me a broken refurbished one.   I plan on mounting two 43" tvs below it so I can stream 3 different games at once during the college football season.  

35 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Anybody have any luck with a patio tv in the 42 to 48 inch class? The texas heat and humidity crushed TVs apparently. Looking to replace a 4 year old Sony.

I'm not a TV snob by any means, so when I was shopping for a patio TV, I went to Best Buy and bought the best picture for less than $300.  I ended up with a Vizio.  I would never buy one as my primary living room TV, but I figured outdoor TVs are disposable, so why over spend?  It lasted 6 years in Abilene and is still going strong.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 10:04 AM, Ten Bears said:

I just pulled the trigger on the TCL 65" 6 Series for $700 at Best Buy.  Rated best tv for the money by Cnet.  Stoked.

I have the 65” 4 series. Got it for 399 for our rental. Have you used the 4 or 5 series enough to tell if there is much of a difference?  We’ve been liking the 4S when we’ve stayed, thinking about a 65 for our house. 

Anybody have any luck with a patio tv in the 42 to 48 inch class? The texas heat and humidity crushed TVs apparently. Looking to replace a 4 year old Sony.

Google outdoor TVs and there are brands that specialize in them. They are more expensive than a regular TV but you’ll get a much longer lifespan out of them.

11 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I have the 65” 4 series. Got it for 399 for our rental. Have you used the 4 or 5 series enough to tell if there is much of a difference?  We’ve been liking the 4S when we’ve stayed, thinking about a 65 for our house. 

I have not.  I haven't even used my 6 series because Best Buy fucked up my order and it won't be here until Sunday.

Just bought the TCL 65" 6 series, it works great except for using the Roku apps through our surround sound. I have an hdmi cable connected to the ARC (Hdmi 4) input in the back of the TV and into the back of the receiver. A directv genie, an old firestick, and ps4 are hooked into the receiver. The surround sound works for all of the devices connected, however if we try to use one of the apps on the built in roku we get no sound at all. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2020 at 11:17 PM, Assman said:

I'm not a TV snob by any means, so when I was shopping for a patio TV, I went to Best Buy and bought the best picture for less than $300.  I ended up with a Vizio.  I would never buy one as my primary living room TV, but I figured outdoor TVs are disposable, so why over spend?  It lasted 6 years in Abilene and is still going strong.

I bought a 65 inch Vizio 3 years ago for less than ~800. No issues despite Houston humidity. It is a covered patio though. 

• 4 months later...