Help me buy a new television

Not necessarily obsolete but dated technology is inevitable especially if you are looking on the cheaper side.  If you aren't into the technical aspects just ignore them and you'll never know the difference.  Look for a brand that offers streaming apps you will use, but if you are a heavy streamer you'll likely require an outside device as most brands don't have a strong collection of apps compared to streaming devices.  They'll all have the basics like Netflix and such.  I would look into reviews on the sound quality as even expensive ones may have shit quality.  Unless you plan on getting a sound system.

Hard to say without knowing more about what you really want (picture size, budget,  lighting, do you want HDR, do you need a wide viewing angle?). But as a generic recommendation, for the 55-65 inch size range, here are my suggestions:

Under $500 - don't bother (except maybe for one of those budget TCLs that are currently getting good reviews, and mainly if you really need a TV and just don't have the budget for more)

$500 -$700: Samsung NU7100. Some other sets at this price level (TCL, Vizio) will have more/better features, but are also more likely (IMHO) to have uniformity problems. This Samsung is a basic set but it reviews well with no major problems. It won't do HDR well, but it is good at "regular" 1080p and 4k HDTV.

$700 -$900: Samsung NU8000.

For about $1200-$1400, you are in Sony X900F territory. This is a very popular set for being a really good performer at a still-reasonable price.

If you have the budget, OLED TVs by Sony or LG generally get the best reviews, but they tend to start at $1600 and up, and they can have issues with burn-in and some other quality issues.

Edited by Paper_jam

14 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Hard to say without knowing more about what you really want (picture size, budget,  lighting, do you want HDR, do you need a wide viewing angle?). But as a generic recommendation, for the 55-65 inch size range, here are my suggestions:

Under $500 - don't bother (except maybe for one of those budget TCLs that are currently getting good reviews, and mainly if you really need a TV and just don't have the budget for more)

$500 -$700: Samsung NU7100. Some other sets at this price level (TCL, Vizio) will have more/better features, but are also more likely (IMHO) to have uniformity problems. This Samsung is a basic set but it reviews well with no major problems. It won't do HDR well, but it is good at "regular" 1080p and 4k HDTV.

$700 -$900: Samsung NU8000.

For about $1200-$1400, you are in Sony X900F territory. This is a very popular set for being a really good performer at a still-reasonable price.

If you have the budget, OLED TVs by Sony or LG generally get the best reviews, but they tend to start at $1600 and up, and they can have issues with burn-in and some other quality issues.

Burn in on the LG OLEDs is technically possible, but not a problem that you should actually worry about. You would have to leave it on the same image for days or even weeks at a time and probably disable some of the burn in protection feature too.

19 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

keep in mind that LG is making the panels that go in the sony sets. 

So our 18 month old LG Curved 65" went kaput earlier this week.  I called LG and spent about 30 min on the phone with them so they could diagnose the issue.  Turns out, the panel needed to be replaced at a $1500 cost since I was 6 months out of warranty.  Told them I wasn't going to do that and asked what else could be done, he came back with another option since they don't make the curved model anymore and parts aren't available.  They bought the tv back from me for what I paid for it last January.  I was extremely pleased with the level of customer service they gave me.  They could have said so sorry, but warranty is up, screw you.  But they did the right thing and stepped up since they had a known issue on that particular model.  We took the money they gave us and bought a 2018 model of their 65" OLED which was $300 less than what I paid for the 2016 model.  Nebraska Furniture Mart was running a special that also gave us a $300 gift card with purchase and they took an additional 10% off the sale price.  Hell of a deal.  Ended up picking up a 4k blu ray player and still have $300 left over from their buyback.  

New model is phenomenal.  Didn't think the picture could be better than what was on our old one but I was wrong.  It's simply gorgeous.  Highly recommend the LG C8 OLED.

Edited by BigDHornfan

Budget is the determining factor, I just replaced an older samsung in our bedroom with a 49 inch sony x900E. It was $800 free 2 day delivery with  amazon prime, rtings rates it the best tv in that size range and recommended not buying the newer 900F as it wasn't worth the extra $400-500.

The picture looks great with some minor calibration and like most flat screens the sound is a bit inadequate, it will work.. but if you plan to watch movies on it get a sound bar or home theater set up

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t know if it’s still true but it used to be that setting TVs to the Movie mode was the closest setting to a pro calibration. It may seem a little darker and a little greener at first but set it that way for a couple days and see if you don’t like it better than “sports” or “vivid” (the worst).

4K are cheap now. Budget?

I got a 65” LG 4K last summer for $750

Get on the frys promo code email list. Really really good deals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This.

Sounds like we bought the same tv. I went during lunch and my wife happened to be working from home that day. 2 hours later I get a call from the wife that the tv was delivered. Free delivery too.

That Fry’s promo code is clutch. Just went and bought a 2 TB external HD normally at 85 bucks or something for 59.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 2:01 PM, BigDHornfan said:

So our 18 month old LG Curved 65" went kaput earlier this week.  I called LG and spent about 30 min on the phone with them so they could diagnose the issue.  Turns out, the panel needed to be replaced at a $1500 cost since I was 6 months out of warranty.  Told them I wasn't going to do that and asked what else could be done, he came back with another option since they don't make the curved model anymore and parts aren't available.  They bought the tv back from me for what I paid for it last January.  I was extremely pleased with the level of customer service they gave me.  They could have said so sorry, but warranty is up, screw you.  But they did the right thing and stepped up since they had a known issue on that particular model.  We took the money they gave us and bought a 2018 model of their 65" OLED which was $300 less than what I paid for the 2016 model.  Nebraska Furniture Mart was running a special that also gave us a $300 gift card with purchase and they took an additional 10% off the sale price.  Hell of a deal.  Ended up picking up a 4k blu ray player and still have $300 left over from their buyback.  

New model is phenomenal.  Didn't think the picture could be better than what was on our old one but I was wrong.  It's simply gorgeous.  Highly recommend the LG C8 OLED.

I bought the LG55C8 yesterday at BB.  Question, how are you getting your cable feed?  I have uverse wireless and the picture is good-very good, but not like oh my gawd good.  I realize a lot depends on the cable feed and source.  I havent hooked up PS 4 yet or DVD.  I am having ATT come out and hook up a wired box and putting wireless out on back porch.  I have a 4K HDMI cable,  and the picture is very good on certain channels but meh on others.  I haven't had time to get in play with the settings.  i watched a couple calibration videos on youtube and will apply their recs. 

Just curious if you had any tips for optimal  picture quality.  I have pretty good internet so I feel like streaming should be top notch at this price point. 

12 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

I bought the LG55C8 yesterday at BB.  Question, how are you getting your cable feed?  I have uverse wireless and the picture is good-very good, but not like oh my gawd good.  I realize a lot depends on the cable feed and source.  I havent hooked up PS 4 yet or DVD.  I am having ATT come out and hook up a wired box and putting wireless out on back porch.  I have a 4K HDMI cable,  and the picture is very good on certain channels but meh on others.  I haven't had time to get in play with the settings.  i watched a couple calibration videos on youtube and will apply their recs. 

Just curious if you had any tips for optimal  picture quality.  I have pretty good internet so I feel like streaming should be top notch at this price point. 

We also have uverse.   Here's some settings I found on the net and they look pretty damn good.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8/settings

9 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

We also have uverse.   Here's some settings I found on the net and they look pretty damn good.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c8/settings

Yes, I was that site the other day (before i returned a 65" Samsung to get the LG).  I will check those settings.  Curious, do you have a wired uverse or wireless?  I have both and my smaller Samsung which is wired, looks great.  Is it me or do you lose some quality with wireless?   I think I know the answer,  I just don't want to sacrifice anything that may be hindering the best possible picture with this bad boy of a TV.

8 minutes ago, jdhorn92 said:

Yes, I was that site the other day (before i returned a 65" Samsung to get the LG).  I will check those settings.  Curious, do you have a wired uverse or wireless?  I have both and my smaller Samsung which is wired, looks great.  Is it me or do you lose some quality with wireless?   I think I know the answer,  I just don't want to sacrifice anything that may be hindering the best possible picture with this bad boy of a TV.

smaller tvs are going to have a better looking picture when the source is cable/satellite/ota due to the broadcast not being 4k and even if it is 4k, its compressed. To get that "wow" factor from your 65 inch you need to load up a uhd bluray

15 minutes ago, Smax said:

smaller tvs are going to have a better looking picture when the source is cable/satellite/ota due to the broadcast not being 4k and even if it is 4k, its compressed. To get that "wow" factor from your 65 inch you need to load up a uhd bluray

On 7/12/2018 at 3:50 PM, dark54555 said:

Sony 4K is probably the best for fast motion.  4K OLED LG is better for color/black level.  And those TCLs are a steal for that you're getting.

Watched the Yankess last night on my new LG and for the first time ever I saw the blue in the Yankees uniform. Could have been an illusion.  Not trying to start a "Yani" debate, but when they showed a closeup, i saw the blue in  their uniform.  The LG so far has been great, but need to dig in a little to get the settings right and to learn all of the capabilities.

Edited by jdhorn92
spelling, grammar

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Is it possible to get a bad ass tv 65in+ w/o voice control? Or have that part disabled? Or block it completely so there is no way it can pick up your voice? Just don’t trust that shit. And I have no problem getting up to look for a remote. Some things are just better with a little bit of hassle. 

And yes I have a iphone and a comp but no other internet connected devices with a mike. The comp I barely use but the phone I leave behind a lot. 

Edited by achooloco

Literally got this on Friday after my 10 yr old Samsung took a poop and refused to turn on

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-oled-a8g-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6331595.p?skuId=6331595

Back in December it was up over 3000 so I bounced on it now that it's around the LG OLED price. It's pretty sick. Comes with a good sound system already. Good timing just before football too wink.png

Achooloco this has voice command that I disabled. The buttons are there on the remote. I guess I havent tried it yet to see if it's truly disabled but idk... it hasnt activated after the first 5 days Haha

We bought one of the cheap 4K LGs that was great at first. Then the WiFi and Ethernet shit the bed. Only way to stream to it now is via Chromecast. There's also a non-stop notification that pops up saying an unknown device has been disconnected.

Google it and you'll see it's a widespread problem across multiple LG models. Hopefully not on the OLEDs because I want one of those.

Edited by Okie State

• 2 weeks later...
We bought one of the cheap 4K LGs that was great at first. Then the WiFi and Ethernet shit the bed. Only way to stream to it now is via Chromecast. There's also a non-stop notification that pops up saying an unknown device has been disconnected.
Google it and you'll see it's a widespread problem across multiple LG models. Hopefully not on the OLEDs because I want one of those.

Interesting... I’m looking at Sony vs LG oled...Sony pic looks sharper and the pic settings easier and less fussy. LG pic seems to be brighter and the colors more brilliant. I haven’t looked at quality yet but have always had good luck with Sony products.

1 hour ago, William_Cannon said:

Interesting... I’m looking at Sony vs LG oled...Sony pic looks sharper and the pic settings easier and less fussy. LG pic seems to be brighter and the colors more brilliant. I haven’t looked at quality yet but have always had good luck with Sony products.

We have an older Sony that has been great. They're more expensive, but seem to have a good reputation. We've had both a Samsung and LG shit the bed on us.

May only be the cheaper models though. I'd just do a lot of research before dropping OLED money.

Edited by Okie State

On 9/9/2019 at 8:31 PM, SoCalHorn said:

Any recs on cheaper end for 50ish inch just to watch Netflix and amazon prime? Looks like the roku TVs would be best

I picked up a 55" TCL for $279 at Sams last weekend as an auxiliary set to put in the den for Saturday game day viewing.  4K, blah blah.  Has Roku built in, but I can't speak to how well it works.  I just hooked an extra Apple TV to it and streamed away all weekend.

I picked up a 55" TCL for $279 at Sams last weekend as an auxiliary set to put in the den for Saturday game day viewing.  4K, blah blah.  Has Roku built in, but I can't speak to how well it works.  I just hooked an extra Apple TV to it and streamed away all weekend.

Why did you use Apple TV instead of the built in Roku?

Im so accustomed to my apple TV remote vs the android TV remote for my Sony. Im not a fan of the interface too. Wayyy too crowded with useless shit. Apple TV home is clean, simple and easy to get to because the button is top left of the remote. I also like the track pad to change channels vs having to click the up/ down button 50 times.