South Padre Island

RollLeft

On 6/23/2020 at 7:44 PM, Helobious said:

Louie’s Backyard has turned into a fucking shell of itself. Don’t go there. Wanna Wanna is still ok, and there’s a cool little bar called Cocunut Jacks on the bayside that has good coconut shrimp.

I get emotional every time I think about SPI. Went there literally every summer as a kid. Usually 10ish relatives staying in one hotel room, swimming at the beach with my cousins all day, seeing how many different hotel pools we could sneak into, crab hunting at night. Some of my favorite memories in life.

I’m going to be there for the 4th. Going to be grilling carne asada on my tailgating grill on the beach. Can’t wait. Louie’s was terrible. Laguna Bob’s for the win. Also like the daiquiri and frozen margarita place at the marina between the Sea Ranch and Dirty Al’s.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

Abbott is shutting down bars again. Is Laguna Bob’s a restaurant or bar? Fuck I’m going down there for the 4th and it’s my favorite place to chill and drink in the evenings. They do serve food but I think they might be 51%

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

On 7/11/2018 at 11:21 AM, RollLeft said:

We frequent Port A/ Corpus more often than Galveston for beach and other reasons but this summer we decided to go down a little further to SPI.  We're glad we did.  The weather has been beautiful this week and fishing plentiful.  It is pretty amazing the difference just a few miles down the gulf coast makes.  The beach has been better than expected.  I don't remember my last trip here as it was during college.  The water is clear, the food good and the people friendly and hospitable.   

Yeah I can't do Port A, Corpus, or whatever beaches at the north end when I can just drive a little farther and be at the much nicer beaches in S. Padre. 

In general, I prefer SPI to Port A. The extra couple of hours in the car are worth it to me. Beach is cleaner, water is clearer and nobody is driving on the beach. I always worry about some drunk idiot plowing through my tent at Port A and taking my entire family out. There are also a million condos/houses/hotels to rent in SPI within a block or two of the beach, so you can load up your beach cart with all of your shit (tent, chairs, ice chest, etc.) and have an easy stumble home after a long day of drinking and fucking around on the beach.

Yep, yep, yep. Never understood driving all the way to the coast and stopping anywhere other than SPI.

Edited by wood

On 6/23/2020 at 3:53 PM, Native Horn said:

Haven't been there in a few years, but I remember Isabel's Cafe (across the bridge in Port Isabel) had some pretty good breakfast tacos.  Could probably California it up and call them breakfast burritos, because they are huge.  

LOL that reminds me of the time the wife (no pics) and I were in Hermosa Beach and decided we wanted to skip the Kettle in MB that day & find some breakfast tacos instead. We drove around for a little while looking, but couldn't find anything. This was before smartphones. We'd stop & ask someone here & there, but when we asked for breakfast tacos, they genuinely looked at us like we were from Mars. I was like "We're what, 2 hours from the border & nobody knows what a breakfast taco is? Fucking stupid-ass Californians." Finally found a breakfast burrito trailer, and it was pretty good, but they weren't anything special in terms of size. They were fucking breakfast tacos. Burrito my ass. /csb

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 9:42 AM, Iconoclast Texan said:

Abbott is shutting down bars again. Is Laguna Bob’s a restaurant or bar? Fuck I’m going down there for the 4th and it’s my favorite place to chill and drink in the evenings. They do serve food but I think they might be 51%

Laguna Bob’s is closed.

but Wanna Wanna is open for take out, including alcohol. Walk down the beach, get a turbo pina to go 

and one of my favorite hidden gems is also on the beach, the Palms Cafe for breakfast, lunch or dinner and drinks.

Haven't been down in close to 20 years.

Thinking about trying to take the family if we can find a place, so looking for recommendations.  I think it will only be 4 of us.

7 and 5 year old boys.  Will probably cook at home, with maybe a little take out ( I think I'll need to try that ceviche) so I'll need a full kitchen and hopefully access to a grill. 

Really just looking for some quality beach time during the day, and maybe some pool time in the evening.  

Cameron County, Tx – Cameron County announced Monday that effective at 7 p.m., Tuesday, June 30, all County Parks and County Beach access area will be closed.

Cameron County Judge Eddie Treviño Jr. has ordered the closure of county parks and beach access areas until 12:01 a.m. on July 13.

The Department of Health and Human Services has reported 2,183 cases in Cameron County as of June 29. Cameron County announced an additional 98 cases of COVID-19 on Monday. Neighboring Hidalgo County has reported 3,294 cases of the virus and is among the top 10 affected counties in Texas.

The closure of the parks does not affect parks and beach accesses that are owned and operated privately.

However, Treviño’s order “strongly suggests” that all similar events, public or private, should be canceled or suspended for the same period.

“At this time and based on the best and most up-to-date health and scientific information, I strongly recommend and request that our local business leaders exercise their best judgment with respect to their individual businesses, ventures and events,” Treviño’s letter stated.

The following parks and beach access areas will be closed to the public:

Isla Blanca Park

Andy Bowie Park

E.K. Atwood Park

County Beach access No. 3

County Beach access No. 4

County Beach access No. 5

County Beach access No. 6

Boca Chica Beach

Bejarano-McFarland Memorial Park

Pedro “Pete” Benevides Park

Laureles Reginal Park

El Ranchito Community Park

El Ranchito Recreational Park

Santa Maria Community Park

La Paloma Community Park

Santa Rosa Community Park

La Esperanza Community Park

On 7/11/2018 at 11:21 AM, RollLeft said:

We frequent Port A/ Corpus more often than Galveston for beach and other reasons but this summer we decided to go down a little further to SPI.  We're glad we did.  The weather has been beautiful this week and fishing plentiful.  It is pretty amazing the difference just a few miles down the gulf coast makes.  The beach has been better than expected.  I don't remember my last trip here as it was during college.  The water is clear, the food good and the people friendly and hospitable.   

Well 3+ hours (of a few miles) should get you into the beautiful blue waters of the Southern gulf of Mexico.  But I will tell you what amazes me.  That after going to Port A my whole adult life, I bought a house in Corpus two years ago and eventually discovered The Padre Island National Seashore.  Not sure if it's just the bend of the coastline between there and Port A.  Or perhaps the lack of tractor grooming and a more natural contour with is responsible.  But the difference in water quality and clarity can be amazing.

For actually only a few miles down the road.

The deal for me with Port Isabel is that if I am driving that far I need a week stay at least.  Though I used to love the one hour SW flight when I had a buddy living down there.  Might be time to make another trip down.  I always loved staying on the bay and having the guide pull up to the back door.  The very first keeper trout I ever caught was a 28-1/2 incher.  But it was my first bay trip and I didn't even take a picture, just filleted it along with the Reds.  Didn't know what I had caught.  Even thought the locals kept telling me "nice Trout." A tip of the hat to Ted and Eric.

23 hours ago, RedDirtTexan said:

Cameron County, Tx – Cameron County announced Monday that effective at 7 p.m., Tuesday, June 30, all County Parks and County Beach access area will be closed.

Cameron County Judge Eddie Treviño Jr. has ordered the closure of county parks and beach access areas until 12:01 a.m. on July 13.

The Department of Health and Human Services has reported 2,183 cases in Cameron County as of June 29. Cameron County announced an additional 98 cases of COVID-19 on Monday. Neighboring Hidalgo County has reported 3,294 cases of the virus and is among the top 10 affected counties in Texas.

The closure of the parks does not affect parks and beach accesses that are owned and operated privately.

However, Treviño’s order “strongly suggests” that all similar events, public or private, should be canceled or suspended for the same period.

“At this time and based on the best and most up-to-date health and scientific information, I strongly recommend and request that our local business leaders exercise their best judgment with respect to their individual businesses, ventures and events,” Treviño’s letter stated.

The following parks and beach access areas will be closed to the public:

Isla Blanca Park

Andy Bowie Park

E.K. Atwood Park

County Beach access No. 3

County Beach access No. 4

County Beach access No. 5

County Beach access No. 6

Boca Chica Beach

Bejarano-McFarland Memorial Park

Pedro “Pete” Benevides Park

Laureles Reginal Park

El Ranchito Community Park

El Ranchito Recreational Park

Santa Maria Community Park

La Paloma Community Park

Santa Rosa Community Park

La Esperanza Community Park

Wait what the fuck does this mean? I am headed to SPI tomorrow and will be in a condo. Are the SPI beaches closed. Fuck my life if this is true. I need this trip.

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Ok so the beaches in front of the condos are open but the county beaches are closed. I guess I am good.

Yeah thats how I read it, we are supposed to head down Monday. I think we are still planning on it unless they make further changes to beach access. Would love to hear how it goes this weekend for you. 

Edited by hornbri

Beach report: beautiful clear water, barely any surf. Beach is fairly crowded with the rules requiring umbrellas only and spread out but is enjoyable as it ever is. 

Getting zapped on the beach and making some jumbo shrimp (Quick Stop) and fresh caught trout tonight. 

57E2B777-72B9-4A68-B69B-B8056BEE709B.jpeg

24A44214-71CC-4346-A0FF-30BE52A6D16D.jpeg

Haven’t been since Spring Break 1991. Heading down Thursday. Thanks for all of the tips. I’ll report back next week.

How long of a wait are we talking about to leave on Sunday? How early does that start and how late does it go to? If I left at 8 am would I miss it? If I waited until 5 pm?

My list so far includes:

Ceviche Ceviche for at least 3 meals. Likely more.

Freah seafood to cook at the condo from Los Tortugas ( is this the best?)

Some sort of turbo drink from wanna wanna

The lady’s son loves meatballs more than anyone should so we’ll probably have to try the restaurant with them in the name.

We are here now. Crowds are not bad mid week. If the county beaches stay closed this weekend I really don’t Sunday will be bad. 

Going to get ceviche ceviche tomorrow, got meatballs last night to go it was pretty good. I would say yes on los tortugas, good seafood. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hornbri said:

We are here now. Crowds are not bad mid week. If the county beaches stay closed this weekend I really don’t Sunday will be bad. 

Going to get ceviche ceviche tomorrow, got meatballs last night to go it was pretty good. I would say yes on los tortugas, good seafood. 

I bet Bagdad Beach is open this weekend.

I'm less than three years from retiring to SPI, at least New Years through May.  Part of me wants a place on the bay side with a lift, but practical me wants a place on the gulfside with a view.  Pretty sure I could sit on my ass for six months watching the waves roll in.  

• Like 2

Just got home. Had a great time with friends. Hit all the spots: Wanna Wanna, the Palms, Cap'n Roys and Gabriella's

4 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Laguna Bob's* ceviche and a cold beer at sunset for the win.

*Wahoo Salon forever

Indeed. Whenever I wear my Wahoo Saloon shirts people either give me the nod knowing I'm an OG or ask me where on the island it is.

3 hours ago, bmbmd said:

I'm less than three years from retiring to SPI, at least New Years through May.  Part of me wants a place on the bay side with a lift, but practical me wants a place on the gulfside with a view.  Pretty sure I could sit on my ass for six months watching the waves roll in.  

You'll always want the one you don't have. We have a beachfront condo and I love to fish out of my boat. All day beach view and proximity to the beach versus the convenience of a slip and a beautiful sunset. 

18 minutes ago, 4th and 5 said:

Just got home. Had a great time with friends. Hit all the spots: Wanna Wanna, the Palms, Cap'n Roys and Gabriella's

Indeed. Whenever I wear my Wahoo Saloon shirts people either give me the nod knowing I'm an OG or ask me where on the island it is.

You'll always want the one you don't have. We have a beachfront condo and I love to fish out of my boat. All day beach view and proximity to the beach versus the convenience of a slip and a beautiful sunset. 

Exactly.  It's an insolvable problem.  

I was thinking of going down here next month to get away and sit on the beach for a bit. I'm very familiar with the area but with the valley hospitals getting blasted by the pandemic is it worth the trip right now?

If so what are good accommodations at the moment?

Are most of the restaurants available for takeout? Do they do takeout cocktails?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Everyone we went to or have seen is offering take out. Masks are in usage in all buildings with only saw one Karen at wap-mart who didn’t want to wear a mask but was forced to. We did not drink this week but I assume they are doing alcohol like the rest of the state. 

4 minutes ago, hornbri said:

Everyone we went to or have seen is offering take out. Masks are in usage in all buildings with only saw one Karen at wap-mart who didn’t want to wear a mask but was forced to. We did not drink this week but I assume they are doing alcohol like the rest of the state. 

jon stewart what GIF

• Like 3

On 7/10/2020 at 12:17 PM, hornbri said:

The fuck? I felt like I needed to check in to the Betty Ford clinic when I got home. 

On 7/10/2020 at 12:12 PM, Wanker Bob said:

I was thinking of going down here next month to get away and sit on the beach for a bit. I'm very familiar with the area but with the valley hospitals getting blasted by the pandemic is it worth the trip right now?

If so what are good accommodations at the moment?

Are most of the restaurants available for takeout? Do they do takeout cocktails?

Yes. Don’t be a pussy. 

Accommodations are everywhere, a beachfront condo or houses near a beach access are a good choice  

All the restaurants are open for takeout food and drink  

On 6/26/2020 at 4:27 PM, Shaddie said:

Very subjective but what is y’all’s recommendation for fried seafood down on spi or isabel?

If you aren't looking for ambiance and just quality food one of my favorites was always White Sands Restaurant in Port Isabel. Lower prices and damn good fried seafood just has a small town diner feel. 

• Like 2

As I mentioned up thread, I have not been to SPI since Spring Break 1991. Left Austin on Thursday morning and hit SPI at about 4:00 PM. Without the extended Whataburger drive through experience in Corpus that last 32 minutes, we would have made it from NW Austin to SPI in 5:09. It seems like everyone always says it's 3 hours past Port A, but the reality is that its only about 1:45 - 2:00 longer. Google maps tells me 5:38 versus 3:43. That is a very reasonable amount of time to find a much, much nicer beach IMO. Don't get me wrong, I love Port A, but both have their charms.

The beach was fantastically clean, not crowded at all, and the water was cool (81), clean and refreshing. Much nicer that Port A.

COVID rules for the beach umbrella people suck. The dude in front of our condo could only rent 5 a day and only two chairs per umbrella, regardless of family affiliation. The guy was sold out by noon every day. Then, he picked them up at 5 pm?? WTF..the sun is still out for 4 more hours.

Los Tortugas for 2# shrimp, ~3# drum. Great pricing and good seafood.

Ceviche Ceviche - I REALLY wanted this to be good. Ceviche is my favorite food on the planet, which, unfortunately makes me a bit snobby about it. To be done right, they literally have to put the lime onto the fish right before it is delivered to you. The fish I was served had been in the lime juice for at least 12 hours. Rubbery and just tasted like lime. The rest of the dish was good and fresh, but the fish ruined it. Went once and never went back.

Blackbeards - Had a great lunch. Fried shrimp and everyone else's meal was great.

Painted Marlin - The lady and I both ordered redfish. I am 99% certain that they served us Grouper. The drinks and the bartender we really good. My GF's daughter had fish tacos of some sort and really loved them. Saw Haley's comet.

Tried to go look at the Jesus Statue dedicated to lost fishermen. It's in the park on the very south end of the island, which was unfortunately closed by the County. When we pulled up to the gate, the young guy asked where we were going and we told him to go see the statue for the Fishermen. His exactly response: "Jesus? No, Jesus is closed". If Jesus is closed, perhaps that explains this first half of this year.

The IGA in Padre is much nicer than the IGA in Port A.

Bermudas and Wahoo Saloon are kaput.

Still here, all the bars ( except those that are restaurants too) on the bay side are closed down. Plenty of room on the beach to keep your 15ft apart &I have seen the cops tell people to move their umbrella & space further out. The lines for DQ & Whataburger at night are out of control.

Finally booked a condo for this week. Of course, fml, they also just made stricter rules for the city beaches...

So I guess we can't use our awesome Neso shade this time. I really hope they aren't enforcing the '15 feet between each umbrella' thing for families who want to sit together. There's just the 4 of us. Not sure how separating us helps with the 'rona.

"The order addresses rules for beach vendors and beachgoers.

All non-single pole shade structures will be prohibited, as well as all types of canopies and pop-up tents.

Single-pole shade structures larger than 8 feet in diameter will be prohibited. All single-pole shade structures will be separated by a minimum of 15 feet from the outside edge or tip of the structure.

Only two chairs per single pole shade structure will be permitted. Other setups are prohibited within the 15 feet between equipment.

For beach vendors, all secondary beach chairs and umbrellas must be stored at the dune line and setup on demand only. Chairs and umbrellas must be rented and occupied at the time of setup for the secondary rows.

According to the order, the mayor and the emergency management coordinator can close the beach at any time if social distancing is not followed.

A violation of the order is a Class C Misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $500.

“The Island is a popular place to visit and the public should be mindful that the COVID-19 virus is still impacting the Rio Grande Valley,” a post from the City of South Padre Island Facebook page states. “While on the beach, everyone should follow protocols to prevent further spread of this virus.”

https://www.brownsvilleherald.com/2020/07/17/city-beach-accesses-remain-open-island-amends-extends-beach-operations-order/

Edited by wood

50 minutes ago, wood said:

Finally booked a condo for this week. Of course, fml, they also just made stricter rules for the city beaches...

So I guess we can't use our awesome Neso shade this time. I really hope they aren't enforcing the '15 feet between each umbrella' thing for families who want to sit together. There's just the 4 of us. Not sure how separating us helps with the 'rona.

All non-single pole shade structures will be prohibited, as well as all types of canopies and pop-up tents.

Single-pole shade structures larger than 8 feet in diameter will be prohibited. All single-pole shade structures will be separated by a minimum of 15 feet from the outside edge or tip of the structure.

Only two chairs per single pole shade structure will be permitted. Other setups are prohibited within the 15 feet between equipment.

For beach vendors, all secondary beach chairs and umbrellas must be stored at the dune line and setup on demand only. Chairs and umbrellas must be rented and occupied at the time of setup for the secondary rows.

According to the order, the mayor and the emergency management coordinator can close the beach at any time if social distancing is not followed.

A violation of the order is a Class C Misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $500.

“The Island is a popular place to visit and the public should be mindful that the COVID-19 virus is still impacting the Rio Grande Valley,” a post from the City of South Padre Island Facebook page states. “While on the beach, everyone should follow protocols to prevent further spread of this virus.”

https://www.brownsvilleherald.com/2020/07/17/city-beach-accesses-remain-open-island-amends-extends-beach-operations-order/

The beach stuff is so fucking stupid. But hey, at least you can go sit indoors at a packed restaurant.

Edited by justhookit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

They were enforcing the 15 feet requirement last week. Some numerous times they ask people to move or take down one umbrella. 

You could have more people under one umbrella. The rule was just to limit it  to just two chairs so if a couple people can sit on a blanket or something you would be fine. 

Edited by hornbri

2 hours ago, justhookit said:

The beach stuff is so fucking stupid. But hey, at least you can go sit indoors at a packed restaurant.

Seriously. So fucking stupid. I'm pretty careful, but making my family split up at the beach while people are eating in restaurants is got damn nuts.

Sitting down here right now on the beach, weekend is definitely more crowded than the week days. Cops have been asking people to move their umbrellas, they aren’t measuring or anything, just don’t them like 5 ft apart. They don’t seem to care how many people are sitting under / around them though. & definitely no canopy structure, they will make you take those down. We have been setting up 2 umbrellas, 15 ft or so apart,the kids play in between the set up & no one gets to close you.

Just get to the beach around 10 or before & you should be able to have your pick of spots.

• Like 1