South Padre Island

RollLeft

My boy and I fished the South Padre jetties this morning..

We caught a snook, a tarpon, a bull red and 4 slot reds.

Then we ran the beachfront north looking for more tarpon.

We stopped at a spot about a half mile offshore in 20 feet of water and caught a limit of snapper.

we continued north and about 3 miles short of Port Mansfield found tons of birds working and the beachfront all stirred up. We trolled live mullet for big tarpon, which we could see surfacing frequently but could not hook up. We did catch a 100 pound blacktip.

We ran thru the Port Mansfield jetties and ran back to SPI via the bay in about a foot of water or less to avoid the chop in the surf. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just finished a couple days down there. The last week it poured almost every day, but on Friday and Saturday it was dry enough to spend a few hours at Isla Blanca.

Lots of jellyfish. Pack your vinegar and MSG. Not the big Portuguese man of war, which pack a much serious wallop, but float on the surface and can be seen. Smaller true jellyfish under the surface which especially get feet and ankles. The sting will go away in 20-30 minutes, but it is super painful for kids.

Daddys has freaking delicious oysters Rockefeller and ceviche, almost as good as Ceviche Ceviche. One of us sprung for the whole grilled snapper at Dirty Als and had the table jealous— an absolutely outstanding fish cooked perfectly. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been to SPI twice this summer, and just got back from our second trip last week.

I thought Isabel's was very below average. Maybe I should have ordered breakfast because those huevos look amazing, but I had the enchiladas and I thought they were extremely bland. The beans were virtually flavorless. I was not impressed, at all. 

Also... the beach was as clean as I can ever remember last week. Almost no seaweed and I don't think I saw one jellyfish. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I've been to SPI twice this summer, and just got back from our second trip last week.

I thought Isabel's was very below average. Maybe I should have ordered breakfast because those huevos look amazing, but I had the enchiladas and I thought they were extremely bland. The beans were virtually flavorless. I was not impressed, at all. 

Also... the beach was as clean as I can ever remember last week. Almost no seaweed and I don't think I saw one jellyfish. 

Yeah I can’t say anything regarding lunch, I’ve always ordered breakfast.  And yes we got the beach yesterday, spotless.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, justhookit said:

Headed down in about an hour for a few days for a friend’s birthday. Captain Roy’s, WannaWanna, and Gabriella’s calling my name. Probably hit Sea Ranch too.

I posted this in the other SPI thread, but Dodici's in Brownsville is worth the drive. I live on the Island and Ultima Taco for lunch and Dodici for dinner are the only places in Brownsville I will make the drive just to have a meal. Dodici's is in an old building with a great courtyard about a block from the international bridge. 

https://www.dodicipizza.com/

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I need to get back to Port A so I can stop drinking which is a thought no one ever had. Tailgate still on for Saturday? We will get to Austin Thursday night late or Friday for lunch.

Tailgate for sure we upgraded to a 20x20. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don’t have an answer about CWS, sorry man, but did have a separate question—what is the deal with the water from tap?! Undrinkable and even had an odor in the shower. We didn’t cook with it, and even the soda at restaurants was foul because of it. We’ve always bought bottles water from the Blue Marlin for drinking but this year it was at a whole other level of awful. 

21 hours ago, landman said:

Will be there next weekend.  Any good spots to catch the championship games of the CWS?

Tom and Jerry's would be my choice. Lot's of screens, a good bar and decent food.

2 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

I don’t have an answer about CWS, sorry man, but did have a separate question—what is the deal with the water from tap?! Undrinkable and even had an odor in the shower. We didn’t cook with it, and even the soda at restaurants was foul because of it. We’ve always bought bottles water from the Blue Marlin for drinking but this year it was at a whole other level of awful. 

Any place on the Island that doesn't use RO water will have that issue. It is a chronic issue here and usually worse in the summer. This letter explains what they are doing and why it tastes worse than usual right now. I haven't drank unfiltered water here for years. 

Temporary Disinfectant Conversion

from Chloramine to Free Chlorine 

The Laguna Madre Water District (LMWD) public water system, (PWS), will temporarily convert the disinfectant used in the distribution system from chloramine to free chlorine, due to its current earthly taste and odor caused by the Rio Grande River’s low water level. This conversion will begin on 5/17/2022 and continue through 6/6/2022. During this period, you may experience a chlorine taste and odor change associated with this type of temporary disinfectant conversion.

We have been in contact with The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), whom is aware that we will be properly disinfecting our water and maintain an adequate disinfectant residual in the distribution system. Chloramine, free chlorine combined with ammonia, is widely used as a disinfectant because it persists for long periods while also limiting the formation of disinfection by-product contaminants. Prolonged use of chloramine coupled with other factors that can affect water quality, such as high temperatures or stagnation of water, may result in the growth and/or persistence of organic matter a secondary constituent within the pipes of the distribution system, which may hinder the ability to maintain an adequate disinfectant residual. A temporary conversion to free chlorine, partnered with flushing activities, helps to rid distribution pipes of this organic matter and improve the quality of your water overall.

LMWD has chosen to implement a temporary disinfectant conversion to free chlorine based on the current taste and odor of the potable water even though the water is safe for consumption.

This taste and odor come from the source water, which is the Rio Grande River, due to low levels that are caused by the lack of rain in the Amistad and Falcon Dam area. Currently the water level is at 31.38% which is a moderate drought stage, while during non-drought conditions the water level is above 50%.

Please be advised that LMWD is in communication with TCEQ and abides by the regulations mention that taste and odor can be caused by a secondary constituent that is not regulated within our daily testing as reported to TCEQ.

If you have questions regarding this matter, you may contact

_____Carlos J. Galvan Jr.____________________ at 

_____(956) 943-2626 x 110________________.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 10:45 AM, Sabalo said:

Tom and Jerry's would be my choice. Lot's of screens, a good bar and decent food.

Any place on the Island that doesn't use RO water will have that issue. It is a chronic issue here and usually worse in the summer. This letter explains what they are doing and why it tastes worse than usual right now. I haven't drank unfiltered water here for years. 

Temporary Disinfectant Conversion

from Chloramine to Free Chlorine 

The Laguna Madre Water District (LMWD) public water system, (PWS), will temporarily convert the disinfectant used in the distribution system from chloramine to free chlorine, due to its current earthly taste and odor caused by the Rio Grande River’s low water level. This conversion will begin on 5/17/2022 and continue through 6/6/2022. During this period, you may experience a chlorine taste and odor change associated with this type of temporary disinfectant conversion.

We have been in contact with The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ), whom is aware that we will be properly disinfecting our water and maintain an adequate disinfectant residual in the distribution system. Chloramine, free chlorine combined with ammonia, is widely used as a disinfectant because it persists for long periods while also limiting the formation of disinfection by-product contaminants. Prolonged use of chloramine coupled with other factors that can affect water quality, such as high temperatures or stagnation of water, may result in the growth and/or persistence of organic matter a secondary constituent within the pipes of the distribution system, which may hinder the ability to maintain an adequate disinfectant residual. A temporary conversion to free chlorine, partnered with flushing activities, helps to rid distribution pipes of this organic matter and improve the quality of your water overall.

LMWD has chosen to implement a temporary disinfectant conversion to free chlorine based on the current taste and odor of the potable water even though the water is safe for consumption.

This taste and odor come from the source water, which is the Rio Grande River, due to low levels that are caused by the lack of rain in the Amistad and Falcon Dam area. Currently the water level is at 31.38% which is a moderate drought stage, while during non-drought conditions the water level is above 50%.

Please be advised that LMWD is in communication with TCEQ and abides by the regulations mention that taste and odor can be caused by a secondary constituent that is not regulated within our daily testing as reported to TCEQ.

If you have questions regarding this matter, you may contact

_____Carlos J. Galvan Jr.____________________ at 

_____(956) 943-2626 x 110________________.

Mystery solved, thanks man. 

• 2 weeks later...