iPads & Tablets?

Wife wants one of these devices to use while traveling. We know next to nothing about them, but it will be used for simple Internet surfing & information research, emails, photos & the like. She already has a 3 year old kindle Fire to play games, read books & her email.

A keyboard would be nice, but not necessary. A good camera too.

We looked at a 9.7" iPad at Costco (32GB memory) for $319.95. Would something like that be good enough for those everyday applications? We do have iPhone5 cells, but she is also. looking to upgrade hers to a 6s (bigger screen).

We want to purchase the device at a b&m store in the Austin area, not online. Any suggestions there?

Relevant info will be appreciated.

Old people jokes  are getting old.

Edited by Armybrat

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

That's pretty much all tablets are good for throw in watching movies.  If she already has a fire she should be able to do all those things.  She just want to upgrade to new or is there something she isn't able to do with the fire?

This is pretty much true, as far as I can tell.  The ipad Pro allegedly offers capability to do actual work, but I'm skeptical.

And agree, there's little reason to improve upon a 3 year old Fire.  Seriously, most Android tablets haven't evolved much in the last three years, except for the very most expensive ones.  For that usage description, there isn't much reason to do anything but another Fire tablet if the old one needs an upgrade.

Brat, the iPad will do all that you asked about and more. Games, music, movies, photos, videos, etc. The screen is very nice and the iPad will out perform a 3 year old Fire without question. Full disclosure, I work for Apple and I am biased as hell. Apple has keyboards if you need it, and there are after market ones available as well. FaceTime with family and friends is very cool as well. Check the big box stores as well to see what their pricing is now, they could have some good deals going. 

You don't have to spend $300 bucks to get a tablet that will do what she wants.  If you like and are used to iOS, then that's a reason to spend the extra money.  The build quality will be exceptional, but you can get a new 10" Android tablet that will fill the bill for $200 or less and with decent build quality.

What does she watch movies with?  Amazon Prime? Netflix?  HBOGo, etc.?

Just now, Armybrat said:

She doesn't watch movies or TV on her Fire, nor will she if we get an iPad.

Oh sorry.  Well, what does she find inadequate about the Fire, then? A Fire is a pretty limited device, but an iPad is kind of like having a top fuel, blown hoverround:  nice I guess, but why?

Don't go with the $50-100 tablets on Amazon.   Sure they are cheap and in theory can do everything that a $300 tablet can do but they do it 10x slower. 

I don't know why someone wouldnt want to watch videos/tv on tablets.  Its one of the main selling features to take a mini-entertainment system on the go.  Many services allow you to download content to the tablet for viewing offline.   

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

I’m a IT guy so work on a PC for work, ever since I got my iPad, I hardly ever use my personal laptop. If you’ve already on iPhones, it will be a super easy transition for the both of you.

It won’t be long until you wonder why you waited so long to get one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

either get another fire (i can't imagine how slow the old one is, i doubt amazon is intentionally slowing them down but they don't seem to test updates for performance on older hardware) or get the ipad.  the ipad will have a nicer camera on the back.  good for old people with bad eyes taking pictures while traveling.  imho, most android tablets aren't worth the additional money over the fire (especially once you load google play on the fire),  and certainly aren't worth ipad money.

Parents are in their early 70s and have iPads. We bought my mom one a few years ago and had to buy my dad one recently, because he kept taking her's. Get her the Ipad and cheap one is ok but do the regular size not mini. 

Parents find it very easy to figure out and font size, etc makes it very easy on the less than young eyes. 

Edited by Washpark

Add me to team iPad. I’m an iPhone user, but had a galaxy.  I hated it and hardly ever used it.  Now I have an IPad, two actually, and hardly use my phone or laptop anymore. The iPad does pretty much everything I need and isn’t all that expensive by comparison.  

Brat, go with iPad.  Superior build quality (IMO), shares ecosystem with your iPhones, superior battery life.  My iPad 2 is still going strong after 7 years of hard use.  Wife (no pics) ignored her Fire and hijacked that iPad, so I bought her an iPad HD (aka iPad 3) and it's still like new 6 years later.  The performance of those iPads over all those years amazes me, especially the longevity of the batteries. Never a problem with either of them.  Our kids now use those two iPads and wife and I have upgraded to the 12.9" iPad Pros.

She chose the 32 GB 9.7" cheapo from Costco - it was on "sale" yesterday for $280.

It doesn't have a paper hard copy instruction manual, so I guess the startup info comes up when the device is turned on?

Wife did turn it on briefly, but a lot of quick stuff (including Chinese) popped up, so she turned it off.

Does it have to be charged up fully first?

Will it be similar to setting up her 2015 Kindle Fire?

Will we have to establish some kind of security?

14 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

She chose the 32 GB 9.7" cheapo from Costco - it was on "sale" yesterday for $280.

It doesn't have a paper hard copy instruction manual, so I guess the startup info comes up when the device is turned on?

Wife did turn it on briefly, but a lot of quick stuff (including Chinese) popped up, so she turned it off.

1.  Good call on the ipad.

2.  It should function just like her phone did and all the setup will happen when it's powered on for the first time.

3.  That because not everyone that uses an ipad speaks english.

4.  It wont come fully charged, but should have a residual charge so you can set it up.

5.  It will be different but similar.   You'll sign into your itunes and not your amazon acccount.

6.  Yes.  As password of 4 or 6 numbers is usually the default security.  Not sure if the model you have has fingerprint biometric security.

iPads/other pads suck shit if you actually want to do some moderate typing (the attachable keyboards have Cheap-AIDS and are awful).

I've been buying myself teeny little laptops (like 11" screen, really just a bit larger than iPads).  I got my latest one for $125 at Best Buy. I use the shit out of it, it has very little storage ability but I don't need it... I might store 1-2 documents then transfer them to my permanent devices. 

Of course iPad type stuff is great for movies and media, etc.  But I need to type and do work at times.  Uh-uh.

Anyway I see you got a not-iPad.  That should work okay except when you try to type more than an upside down explanation of your pictures.

4 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

1.  Good call on the ipad.

2.  It should function just like her phone did and all the setup will happen when it's powered on for the first time.

3.  That because not everyone that uses an ipad speaks english.

4.  It wont come fully charged, but should have a residual charge so you can set it up.

5.  It will be different but similar.   You'll sign into your itunes and not your amazon acccount.

6.  Yes.  As password of 4 or 6 numbers is usually the default security.  Not sure if the model you have has fingerprint biometric security.

She can choose to scan her fingerprint for security if she wants, you can add yours as well. Glad she went with the iPad, it's a great device. 

• Like 1

Give her a week and she’ll love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Getting it set up is causing major problems.

Somehow the damn iPad is now connected to her iPhone5, and she does not want that. She can't get it to disconnect.

Plus, it will not let her set up our two emails.

I don't have a clue, just like I never figured out why my pictures always posted upside down at TOS.

11 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Getting it set up is causing major problems.

Somehow the damn iPad is now connected to her iPhone5, and she does not want that. She can't get it to disconnect.

Plus, it will not let her set up our two emails.

I don't have a clue, just like I never figured out why my pictures always posted upside down at TOS.

Apple uses your itunes account/email address and password (assuming they are the same, in any event the one you use with itunes/icloud on your Iphones) to synch things between the devices, like mail, calendar, itunes account (songs movies, if you have any, apps), messages/texts, safari bookmarks, etc. etc.   I'm sure you want some of that stuff synched between them, but perhaps not all of it.  In system settings or preferences, you should be able to check boxes for the things you want to be the same between the phone and the ipad, and uncheck boxes for things you don't want to be the same.  Settings are probably under "Internet Accounts" and iCloud after that.  It is also in "internet accounts" where you go to add emails such as yahoo, the various Microsoft ones (hotmail, msn, outlook. etc.), and/or gmail/google.  In addition to the email, it will add calendar and contacts and whatever other services go with that account.  Again, you can uncheck them individually.

On 7/17/2018 at 10:00 AM, Armybrat said:

why does the thingamagig ask me what language I want and what country I'm in.  Only English-speaking, American-living people can afford this thing.  Should be an automatic default.

• 2 years later...
7 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

well the $550 is only 64gb, you'd most likely want the 256 for $700.  but with those specs it's basically a laptop without the keyboard.

apple site says $599. 

https://www.apple.com/shop/buy-ipad/ipad-air

we'll go down a rabbit hole of tablet vs laptop but no way i'm replacing a laptop with a tablet. you have to play another $100+ for keyboard, and then you have the whole OS questions of what you can and cannot do between the two. for some, it's definitely doable, but not for me.

i got a new samsung galaxy tab s6 lite for $210. for what i do on a tablet, surf surly, read shit on the internets, watch youtube on the shitter, that's about as much as i'll pay. it has the same bezel size as the new air and i got it for under half the price of the air. yea the processors don't even remotely compare, but there's nothing that i do on a tablet that requires laptop comparable processors.

Edited by crash_davis

apple site says $599. 
we'll go down a rabbit hole of tablet vs laptop but no way i'm replacing a laptop with a tablet. you have to play another $100+ for keyboard, and then you have the whole OS questions of what you can and cannot do between the two. for some, it's definitely doable, but not for me.
i got a new samsung galaxy tab s6 lite for $210. for what i do on a tablet, surf surly, read shit on the internets, watch youtube on the shitter, that's about as much as i'll pay. it has the same bezel size as the new air and i got it for under half the price of the air. yea the processors don't even remotely compare, but there's nothing that i do on a tablet that requires laptop comparable processors.
Ah right I was looking at the education prices. I hear you about the not using it as a laptop point. I can't. A lot of people I know are though and I think we'll continue to see that transition.

6 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
1 hour ago, crash_davis said:
apple site says $599. 

Read more  

Ah right I was looking at the education prices. I hear you about the not using it as a laptop point. I can't. A lot of people I know are though and I think we'll continue to see that transition.

I dunno.  Android tablets are all but dead.  MS still has the surface, but most iterations come with a KB.

If you have to do any significant amount of typing or data entry, a tablet just won't do.  

Maybe used as point-of-sale devices.  I see that a lot.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I dunno.  Android tablets are all but dead.  MS still has the surface, but most iterations come with a KB.

If you have to do any significant amount of typing or data entry, a tablet just won't do.  

Maybe used as point-of-sale devices.  I see that a lot.

Agreed, Ipads are much more usable if you need to do work. I believe some people do light video editing, which is probably damned near impossible on any Android tablet. But for my use cases, it's just the same as I do on my phone, but on a bigger screen. Yea a lot of Android apps are not optimized for tablets but the data is still the same as my phone, just bigger which is kinda the whole point.

Samsung Dex is actually a very good implementation of a mobile to desktop OS. If Apple had implemented something like Dex, it'd be all the rage. But since it's Samsung, most people dismiss it. I think Dex is a much better mobile to desktop OS than what iOS is. iOS is still lacking as a desktop like replacement.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

Agreed, Ipads are much more usable if you need to do work. I believe some people do light video editing, which is probably damned near impossible on any Android tablet. But for my use cases, it's just the same as I do on my phone, but on a bigger screen. Yea a lot of Android apps are not optimized for tablets but the data is still the same as my phone, just bigger which is kinda the whole point.

Samsung Dex is actually a very good implementation of a mobile to desktop OS. If Apple had implemented something like Dex, it'd be all the rage. But since it's Samsung, most people dismiss it. I think Dex is a much better mobile to desktop OS than what iOS is. iOS is still lacking as a desktop like replacement.

There are probably certain kinds of tasks, like inventory, POS, where they make sense.  I had a law partner that spent most of his time on the phone or in meetings that kept trying to use various tablet type things to take notes on (using handwriting recognition) and for access to documents to discuss and mark up without heavy editing.  And he still struggled.

I have tried because they are easy to travel with, but the only thing I could really use it for was presentations that were already 99.9% complete.  For better or worse, I mostly get paid for writing stuff and then talking about it.

There's got to be some kind of jobs, sales maybe, where a tablet will get it done. But for most "content creation," I can't see it.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:51 PM, crash_davis said:

They forked iOS, so iPad has it’s own OS now that’s getting better at bridging the gap. But, I still agree with you, it’s just not quite a laptop replacement for me. For what I do on a tablet, I could have gone cheaper...but I like the integration into the Apple ecosystem as I’m also iPhone and Mac.

• 2 months later...

Gotta find one of these for my mother. She mostly reads books, but also wants casual browsing. No streaming, music, games, media, anything like that. She has an iPhone and an old iPad, but spending that much on a new iPad for mostly reading and looking at some emails seems extravagant. 

Isn't there something like the Kindle that also has decent browsing?  

7 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Gotta find one of these for my mother. She mostly reads books, but also wants casual browsing. No streaming, music, games, media, anything like that. She has an iPhone and an old iPad, but spending that much on a new iPad for mostly reading and looking at some emails seems extravagant. 

Isn't there something like the Kindle that also has decent browsing?  

Just get her a kindle fire hd 10. Black Friday deal for $80. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Thanks. Are these good for reading outside in the sun and shit? She really wants that. 

Not really. None of the tablets with backlighting and reflective screens are.good in the sunlight. The regular kindle ereaders work great outdoors but really aren’t useful for anything but reading. They’re cheap too so you could get her both. 

1 hour ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Thanks. Are these good for reading outside in the sun and shit? She really wants that. 

the newer ipads have 500+ nits of brightness. they "should" work outside however it may not be enjoyable for a long period. the regular ipad does NOT have anti-reflective coating. the Airs and the Pros do.