The 2018 World Cup Final :: Modrić is 15% bird

Hagbard Celine

as stated in the other thread, croatia have now effectively played four games in their three knockout round games.  mbappe, griezmann, kante, pogba should be licking their chops at what should be an enhancement of an already favorable speed advantage.  they are also far superior (imo) ball handlers relative to the goofballs from england.

but croatia certainly has some heart and keep driving until the whistle.  two great midfields. if lloris is brilliant again like belgium, les bleus prevail 3-1.*

* if croatia gets favorable refereeing tantamount to today's ridiculousness, that will be impactful as they will just murder mbappe on the edges to keep him from using open-field speed advantage to create.

Common opponents this World Cup:

Croatia 3 - Argentina 0

France 3 - Argentina 2

Prediction:

France 3 - Croatia 1

I will pat myself on the back for picking Croatia to make the final after they beat Argentina.  The way the brackets were shaping up, it looked like they would be on the easy side and would have a clear path.  But I think the dream run ends on Sunday.  France is so stacked and so good.  But, see Euro 2016 final.

If France had taken care of business there, they'd be on a Spain like run from 2008-2012.

croatia only cause i've been rooting for them in every game except for the Argentina one and their is a croatian bar a 14 minute walk from my house. Their beer is strong and their female bartenders aren't the hottest but they know me now so go croatia! but yeah, probably will be france. still if i gotta wish, i say croatia in PKs in a 2-2 game.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, sidis said:

as stated in the other thread, croatia have now effectively played four games in their three knockout round games.  mbappe, griezmann, kante, pogba should be licking their chops at what should be an enhancement of an already favorable speed advantage.  they are also far superior (imo) ball handlers relative to the goofballs from england.

but croatia certainly has some heart and keep driving until the whistle.  two great midfields. if lloris is brilliant again like belgium, les bleus prevail 3-1.*

* if croatia gets favorable refereeing tantamount to today's ridiculousness, that will be impactful as they will just murder mbappe on the edges to keep him from using open-field speed advantage to create.

I think the Croatian defenders are going to rough up France. Croatia has more experience. Never underestimate old age and treachery. 

• Like 3

France and Croatia played in a classic semifinal 20 years ago. In recent years, players on the World Cup 2018 finalists have played side by side on some of Europe's biggest teams.

1. Thuram scores his two and only goals for France.

France and Croatia have met in the World Cup once before, and it was one of the most memorable semifinals ever. Croatia took the lead in the 46th minute on Davor Suker's goal but Lilian Thuram equalized for France 30 seconds later.

Thuram, the French left back, later scored with a low side-volley for his second and last goal he scored in his record 142 appearances for France. Les Bleus held on to win, 2-1, not before having captain Laurent Blanc sent off in the 76th for a head-butt to Slaven Bilic's chin.

Blanc missed the final -- Frank Leboeuf took his place in the middle of the French defense -- but France won, 3-0 over Brazil, for its first and only World Cup title.

2. Les Bleus unbeaten in five meetings.

France has never lost to Croatia in their five meetings. The last time they faced each other was in 2011 when they played to a 0-0 tie at the Stade de France. Ten players from that game -- three for France, seven for Croatia -- are in Russia for the World Cup.

France vs. Croatia:
1998: France 2-1 (World Cup semifinals)
1999: France 3-0 (friendly)
2000: France 2-0 (friendly)
2004: Tie 2-2 (European Championship group stage)
2011: Tie 0-0 (friendly)

3. Varane vs. Modric, battle of teammates.

Fourteen players on the two finalists played their club ball this past season with members of the opposing team. French defender Raphael Varane and Croatian captain Luka Modric have played together for six seasons at Real Madrid and won four Champions League titles.

Club teammates:
Atletico Madrid (France -- Lucas Hernandez, Antoine Griezmann; Croatia -- Sime Vrsaljko)
Real Madrid (France -- Raphael Varane; Croatia -- Luka Modric, Mateo Kovacevic)
Barcelona (France -- Samuel Umiti, Ousmane Dembele; Croatia -- Ivan Rakitic)
Monaco (France -- Thomas Lemar; Croatia -- Danijel Subasic)
Juventus (France -- Blas Matuidi; Croatia -- Mario Mandzukic, Marko Pjaca)

I feel like this game is going to be closer than it should be because Deschamps wants France to play a...pragmatic (boring, defensive) style of soccer which plays into Croatia's hands a bit. Croatia played an extra game in the knockout stages because of all the extra time games and have to be fatigued at this point. I'd love to see Deschamps do something out of the box and replace Matuidi (who is redundant with Kante in the midfield) with Dembele and just let him and Mbappe challenge the Croatian back line with their speed and skill.

I'm not doubting Croatia at this point, but you have to think eventually they're going to run out of gas, but they've been so resilient in this tournament that if France gives them any opportunity they'll seize it. If France just comes at them early they can take control and never look back, but I think it's going to be a much more reserved, measured game which at least gives Croatia a fighting chance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I say 2-0 France.  They get up somewhat early and then lock it down but get a game-sealing goal late in the game.

Probably accurate.

1) Pogba & Kante will not let Croatia rule the pitch.

2) Mbappe & Griezmann know how to put a ball on target.

Even if you don't think much of Didier Deschamps, he won't be as woefully overmatched tactically as Gareth Southgate.

If Croatia has (a) won in 90 minutes on (b) Tuesday and France had (c) won in 120 minutes on (d) Wednesday, then maybe this would be close to a "Pick'em", but I just don't see Croatia pulling out a win. They were always the best side on their half of the draw, with only Spain under consideration as a team who could challenge them with quality and big game experience, but for some reason their kept going down early and having to fight back and play 120 minutes.

That being said, somehow France gave up 3 goals to Argentina, but only two were when they were actually focused and trying.

On 7/11/2018 at 5:12 PM, sidis said:

What surprised me the most is that even after all that extra time, they were running England into the ground.   Seems strange to see this in a world cup, since its not like soccer stars are out of shape, but Croatia's conditioning gave them an edge when they should have been fading.   With several days rest I don't think you'll see them wearing out.   

That being said, France has the superior talent on the field.   Should be a good match.  

1 hour ago, Hurtlocker said:

What surprised me the most is that even after all that extra time, they were running England into the ground.   Seems strange to see this in a world cup, since its not like soccer stars are out of shape, but Croatia's conditioning gave them an edge when they should have been fading.   With several days rest I don't think you'll see them wearing out.   

That being said, France has the superior talent on the field.   Should be a good match.  

Maybe Putin has sent some "trainers" to help with Croatia's nutritional supplements. 

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

That was my thought around minute 75.  This level of "9th wind" is overman and super-human.  But, FIFA says all clean.

FIFA wants to live to see Russia from 35,000 feet and attend banquets in the future. You don’t spit in the eye of a dictator who has shown a pattern of killing his detractors both on Russian soil and abroad. 

Spoiler

France forward Kylian Mbappe has been absolutely brilliant in a couple of games but Croatia midfielder Luka Modric has been my player of the tournament because he has delivered in every match he has played.

Modric wants the ball in every situation, always tries to pass it forward, and hardly ever gives it away.

He will win the ball back for you too, and has also come up with a couple of goals. His consistency is exceptional and he is an absolute class act. I don't see a better midfielder in world football.

I have seen Croatia three times during this World Cup and their strength is definitely in the middle of the pitch. That is where they will look to take control of this match.

They are very good at keeping the ball, although they do not always fashion that many chances and France will be extremely difficult to break down.

I was at France's first game, against Australia, and they have developed and improved as this World Cup has gone on.

Ousmane Dembele started up front against Australia alongside Mbappe and Antoine Griezmann, and it just did not work. They were all moving around well but they had nobody to get hold of the ball for them in the final third.

Olivier Giroud has come in and given the team a focal point and a presence in that part of the pitch. You know it will stick when it comes into him.

Everyone is saying Giroud has not scored yet, but that doesn't matter because he makes Mbappe and Griezmann better players and gets them on the ball in dangerous areas.

We have seen France are efficient, and able to stop teams from playing through them, but they are also very dangerous going forward.

They have been the best team here in Russia, and that's why I am backing them to be world champions.

Lawro's prediction: 2-0