2018 Golf Thread of Dominance

Hookem2102

Nothing wrong with a flat, one plane swing as long as you are using your big muscles correctly. My swing is uber flat like a Kuchar, Dufner, and Hogan.

Has anyone tried a putting grip like Stricker? Basically a fully unhinged left wrist, resulting in a shaft angle that approaches 90 degrees to the ground? It dramatically reduces the effective hitting area because the heel comes off the ground so much but wow, it really kills off side spin on putts. I know having a shaft angle that is 90 degrees to the putter head is illegal and now I can see why.

I'm guessing the major downside is you have a reduced area to place your mishits, after which it's a straight shank? I don't know... I've been using this grip for a couple days now and am really impressed with the result.

Also, someone a while back mentioned struggling with distance control and thought about buying a bigger head to help. Isn't that the opposite of what you should do? Smaller, lighter means better distance control (better feel for the clubhead), bigger, heavier means better line/aim control (clubhead won't twist, easier for straight back, straight through)?

1 hour ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

I had multiple suggestions to play Delaware Springs. Went yesterday afternoon and I have to wonder, 'why?' It wasn't a bad place- fairways and rough were in great shape- but I can't remember a single hole. Shot 77

There's no accounting for taste, I guess. It's a damn fine track and they don't charge you an arm and a leg. Add in consistently good-to-great conditions and you've got a winner.

Posted this in travel forum but figured I'd try here.

The wife and I are doing Scottsdale for our anniversary and she has given me 2 full days of golf.  I'm 100% sold on Troon North but am curious to know if there are any hidden gems I should check out?

Looking at maybe a round at TPC just because that's a fucking fun tournament to watch.  

Edited by BearCountry11
can't english

The wife and I are doing Scottsdale for our anniversary and she has given me 2 full days of golf.  I'm 100% sold on Troon North but am curious to know if there are any hidden gems I should check out?
Looking at maybe a round at TPC just because that's a fucking fun tournament to watch.  

Wekopa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BearCountry11 said:

I liked WeKoPa Saguaro better than the Troon course I played on my bachelor party. Troon was great though. So many quality courses in the area and many have two courses. Quintero, Greyhawk, Boulders, Troon, WeKoPa, TPC all have good reviews. Have a great time!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, drewlaws said:

I liked WeKoPa Saguaro better than the Troon course I played on my bachelor party. Troon was great though. So many quality courses in the area and many have two courses. Quintero, Greyhawk, Boulders, Troon, WeKoPa, TPC all have good reviews. Have a great time!

WeKoPa is definitely up there on the list.  We're staying in Carefree, AZ so it's pretty close by.  Appreciate the recs! 

Just got back from a guys trip out to St. George/Mesquite. Couldn’t recommend it more.

Stayed at the Inn at Entrada. Great place.

For the golf:

Saturday- Played Entrada. It’s really nice and 15-17 are some of the more scenic holes I’ve ever played.

sunday: played Conestoga in Mesquite first. Pretty nice, pace of play was awful. Almost 5:30 hours. Then we went to Wolf Creek. It’s one of the more visually stunning places I’ve played. Also took a long time but there are crazy hikes to the back tees. They make you sign a waiver for the cart because the drive is so severe. 5 people have died driving out there. I probably wouldn’t do it again but it was worth playing once.

Monday: Sky Mountain in the morning. They started us on the back. And the good holes out there are 16-18. We played 9 and bounced to Sand Hallow. Played all 27 there. Phenomenal. Great golf. Fantastic scenery. Nice club house.

tuesday: Coyote Springs. It’s so far out in the middle of nowhere that i have no clue what town it is. But it was awesome, too. Pace of play was brutal there as well.

Overall, great trip. Fun golf. Relatively cheap. Played 6 rounds and had a really nice house for 3 nights for 975 dollars. Booked it through www.stgeorgeutahgolf.com Brian couldn’t have been easier to work with. 

Bama - Go with the Bevo model, that is pretty bad ass, and is now on my list.

I've got a 34" Scotty that the grip is worn out on.  I'm going to put one of those Golf Pride Snsr pistol grips on it, but also thought I would take this opportunity to cut it down an inch, since I typically grip it at the very bottom of the current grip.  Will doing that fuck with the weighting of the putter too much?  I've looked around on golf boards, and comments seem mixed.  Some say, no problem at all, some say send it off the Custom shop to get it done.  Screw that.  This putter is probably 5+ years old, and not sentimental to me. 

I trust you guys more than the guys on some of those golf boards, so has anyone done this?  Any thoughts on doing this?  I'm thinking I just do it, and then if it feels off, buy some off brand 20 gram weights online, since I think that is what comes stock in the 33" putters.

19 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

Has anyone played Streamsong? Thoughts? Probably going next week. 

It is generally considered one of the best destinations now.  Both the original courses are top 50 now and the 3rd is also supposed to be badass.

So if you are there, you should absolutely play it if you like playing golf.  I didn't know you played.

• Like 1

Has anyone played Streamsong? Thoughts? Probably going next week. 

I was there last month and we had a great time. The Red course was everyone’s favorite. Then the Blue course and the new Black was a distant third. We all thought if you had 10 rounds to play there you should play the Red 6 times, Blue 3 times and Black once. If you drive the ball well you can score on all three courses. But there are a few forced carries and longish par 3s over water/sand and you can have some blow up holes if you cant get off the tee or you spray it way left or right. The accommodations are very nice and the food is good.

If you are really into wine go a day early and go to Bern’s Steakhouse in Tampa.

Oh, and it will be hot. Be sure to play early. They encourage you to walk but it may be too hot unless you are used to walking in Texas/Southern summers.
  • Like 1

Goddamn I loved everything about Streamsong. HouTex's review is pretty spot on. The Black wasn't open when I played last August, so I can't comment there. I found the Blue to be hard, and somewhat goofy. Green set at weird angles, overly-sloped sections of greens for no good reason, strange visuals off of some teeboxes. That's not to say there aren't AMAZING holes out there - #3 sticks with me, as does the great par-3 over the water (signature hole). I found the Red to have the same links quirkiness as the Blue but played more fairly. Good shots were rewarded, bad shots were punished. Birdies were available, but not a given, even on the 5's. There's so much shot value out there it makes my head spin. Let's take 7, mid-length par5 back up the hill. Tee ball down the left shortens the hole considerably, but brings some bunkers and a long, dark, deep hazard (ie lake) into play.  But it leaves you a straight away long iron into the green. Drive it out right a bit and you're still in the fairway, but playing over cross bunkers to get to the pin, and a back-left pin is completely hidden from you behind a big hill in the middle of the green. Lay up shots need to be precise due to that same hill (depending on hole location). Green is TINY, but lots and lots of flat putts mean you can make birdie with two (or three) good shots on the hole. Miss left, double Miss long, double. Miss short to a long pin, bogey. Just a fantastic fucking hole. They're all like that.

Go play. Stay out there at least one night, preferably two. Play in the morning, go take a dip in the pool and shower, get a beer or two. Go out in the late afternoon and bang some balls (you'll probably be the only one on the range, but they'll keep it open for you), then hit chips and pitches on the short game area. Wrap up the night with a bourbon or five. Get up early and do it again. 

Heaven.

• Like 1

Goddamn I loved everything about Streamsong. HouTex's review is pretty spot on. The Black wasn't open when I played last August, so I can't comment there. I found the Blue to be hard, and somewhat goofy. Green set at weird angles, overly-sloped sections of greens for no good reason, strange visuals off of some teeboxes. That's not to say there aren't AMAZING holes out there - #3 sticks with me, as does the great par-3 over the water (signature hole). I found the Red to have the same links quirkiness as the Blue but played more fairly. Good shots were rewarded, bad shots were punished. Birdies were available, but not a given, even on the 5's. There's so much shot value out there it makes my head spin. Let's take 7, mid-length par5 back up the hill. Tee ball down the left shortens the hole considerably, but brings some bunkers and a long, dark, deep hazard (ie lake) into play.  But it leaves you a straight away long iron into the green. Drive it out right a bit and you're still in the fairway, but playing over cross bunkers to get to the pin, and a back-left pin is completely hidden from you behind a big hill in the middle of the green. Lay up shots need to be precise due to that same hill (depending on hole location). Green is TINY, but lots and lots of flat putts mean you can make birdie with two (or three) good shots on the hole. Miss left, double Miss long, double. Miss short to a long pin, bogey. Just a fantastic fucking hole. They're all like that.
Go play. Stay out there at least one night, preferably two. Play in the morning, go take a dip in the pool and shower, get a beer or two. Go out in the late afternoon and bang some balls (you'll probably be the only one on the range, but they'll keep it open for you), then hit chips and pitches on the short game area. Wrap up the night with a bourbon or five. Get up early and do it again. 
Heaven.

I agree with capn. I forgot about a few of the greens. We all hit several approaches that hit well on the green but then rolled off into a hazard (usually a sand trap). I forgot which of the courses had it worse. Make sure your caddy tells you where your miss needs to be. But overall it’s a great golf experience. I will definitely go back.

Yeah. Capn nailed it for Streamsong

I’m going end of next week for 2 nights 3 days of golf. Red is amazing. Blue was good. This will be my first time playing black as it wasn’t open last summer.

Resort is great and everything you need for a buddies golf trip. Nothing you don’t.

On 6/14/2018 at 8:51 AM, JSB said:

Bama - Go with the Bevo model, that is pretty bad ass, and is now on my list.

I've got a 34" Scotty that the grip is worn out on.  I'm going to put one of those Golf Pride Snsr pistol grips on it, but also thought I would take this opportunity to cut it down an inch, since I typically grip it at the very bottom of the current grip.  Will doing that fuck with the weighting of the putter too much?  I've looked around on golf boards, and comments seem mixed.  Some say, no problem at all, some say send it off the Custom shop to get it done.  Screw that.  This putter is probably 5+ years old, and not sentimental to me. 

I trust you guys more than the guys on some of those golf boards, so has anyone done this?  Any thoughts on doing this?  I'm thinking I just do it, and then if it feels off, buy some off brand 20 gram weights online, since I think that is what comes stock in the 33" putters.

Went ahead and did it, and while a very small sample size of one round, I'm damn happy.  The front nine, I did have 3 three putts, but hit 8 of 9 greens, then the putter came alive on the back.  14 putts, with two of those being from off the green, for a 78.  First time in the 70's this season for me, so I'm very happy.

Got to play Escondido for father's day.  It was my third time to play it and I continue to be impressed.  It's a great mix of long and short holes. and I found myself using most of my bag throughout the round, which I always enjoy.  Spent the 2nd half of the day in the lake to make up a nice little Sunday.

AGHHH!!!!!  I've been playing golf for 45 years and I've never had this problem before about two weeks ago.   Short irons, particularly nine irons and pitching wedges, duck slices that go about 25 yards right anywhere from five to 30 yards off the ground.  What's going on?  I had a good round two weeks ago despite hitting four of these shots.  Went out a couple of days ago and it was almost every full shot using those two clubs.  Just got back from hitting a bucket of balls at the driving range.  Every other nine iron and PW I hit did this.  I can't remember ever hitting this kind of shot before.

Been on a stretch of decent golf since last Friday.  Shot 42-40 at Kizer and then a 43-36 at Mo Willy.  First time I've shot even par on any 9, have had a few 37's before.  Amazing what happens when you don't give up strokes to double bogeys and can squeeze in a few birdies on a side.  Played Jimmy Clay yesterday with a buddy of mine and shot 43-40 from the blacks.  It was empty out there, so we both had a little fun and played some old blades, Hogans for me and Wilson Staff for him.  Haven't played those since college, it was fun to bust them out again.

Going out to Vegas this weekend, playing Las Vegas National on Saturday morning (buddy's dad is paying, so I just said yes when he said he wanted to play there).  Any wise words about the course?

New irons came in finally.
6d9566902ddff14e28dac455626bcf6f.jpg

How do you like them? I have the i20’s and this is gonna sound either lazy or snobby, but want to re grip them and go back to the Ping stock standard (odd...I know...for some reason those are the grips I always go back to...vicious circle of wasted $)

Was thinking might as well just trade em and get the new i200’s. Ping lifer here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/21/2018 at 7:23 PM, markstanco said:

New irons came in finally.
6d9566902ddff14e28dac455626bcf6f.jpg

Those things give me a bad case of the wants.  Like LSGuido I've got the i20s and like them, but am itching to upgrade.  I haven't hit them yet but I'll definitely hit the Miuras as well before I buy anything.

Please give a full report/review once you are able

On 6/20/2018 at 9:46 AM, chitwood said:

I like your use of the term "duck slice" to avoid the actual term that should never be said out loud.

They weren't shanks.  I was hitting them off the extreme toe of my club, not the hosel.  BTW  I went out today and shot my best round of the year 85 (45-40) and never hit one of those shots all day.  The only thing I did differently was play the ball back in my stance a bit.

17 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

They weren't shanks.  I was hitting them off the extreme toe of my club, not the hosel.  BTW  I went out today and shot my best round of the year 85 (45-40) and never hit one of those shots all day.  The only thing I did differently was play the ball back in my stance a bit.

Gotcha.  That is golf.