2018 Golf Thread of Dominance

Hookem2102

6 hours ago, hacker said:

Isn't that backwards?

No, need quick hips to rotate the face back to square. Slower hips help, in theory, keep the face more square and not allow the golfer to shut the face at impact. *it took me a minute to visualize but makes sense. The key is to not have it switched, or if you do, you need to do some tuning. 

On 3/26/2018 at 11:59 AM, HouTex said:

Pretty sure my problem is my short game.  I'm a 12 index and it's been as low as a 9 and as high as a 15.  Some rounds I hit 10 fairways, but I still shoot a 94.  If I hit my driver well it can go about 270 which is plenty long for the courses/tees I play.  My low round ever was last year--a 78 and I've broken 80 two other times.  My average score over the last year is 88.  I play almost every weekend.  I rarely get up and down from around the green and I'm shitty from 90 yards in.  Other than the occasional round or 9 holes when nothing works, I usually can point to 5-8 strokes a round that I lose to my chipping/putting.  I've had two rounds this year when I had 41 putts.  So, more play isn't the answer because I play almost every weekend and I practice my short game a lot.  I've only had a couple of short game lessons.  I guess that's what I need.  Any other ideas?  I also have a temper and I get pissed and lose my focus when I hit a really bad shot.

Dave Pelz short game and putting handicap will give you an idea of where your weaknesses are in your short game so you know what needs the most work. 

Short game

Putting

Edited by heso
  • Like 2

On 3/28/2018 at 12:15 PM, chitwood said:

You set off his Maridoe bat signal.

Well, after trading a few emails we found out that we take the same yoga class on sunday mornings and office very close to one another.  Very small and weird little world.  Look forward to playing with you guys soon.  

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Well, after trading a few emails we found out that we take the same yoga class on sunday mornings and office very close to one another.  Very small and weird little world.  Look forward to playing with you guys soon.  

Pics of said yoga class?

On 3/28/2018 at 6:30 PM, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

No, need quick hips to rotate the face back to square. Slower hips help, in theory, keep the face more square and not allow the golfer to shut the face at impact. *it took me a minute to visualize but makes sense. The key is to not have it switched, or if you do, you need to do some tuning. 

Dude.. you got it backwards.  I saw the episode with Martin Hall about this.  Most strong gripped players have to rotate hard through impact in order to hold the face square.  Trevino, Duval, Zach Johnson.  With a weak left hand you need the hips to stop so you have time to flip it through impact.    

5 hours ago, babysdaddy said:

Be careful what you wish for.

Be careful what you wish for.

No kidding. Not sure I trust any of you internet people enough to play golf with...I might wake up dead in a fairway bunker on the 18th hole or some nonsense.

8 hours ago, Horn21 said:

No kidding. Not sure I trust any of you internet people enough to play golf with...I might wake up dead in a fairway bunker on the 18th hole or some nonsense.

Depends on who is driving the cart. 

On 26/03/2018 at 11:16 AM, Stu said:

Haven't swung a club since November.  Masters week next week and there has literally been 0 days this year that have been nice enough to play.  This winter is never going to end...

Yup, I'm really sick of it. Last year we had a nice stretch in February where I was able to get out. Most of the courses around here are opening next week, but the high is supposed to be 45 so I'm not playing in that shit. Hopefully within a couple weeks. 

18 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

At Reynolds Plantation this weekend. Played Great Waters on Friday, shot 91. Played the National today, shot 87 with 2 birdies. Was this close to an ace. Ball mark is about 18" from the hole.

The greens here are ridiculous. Not a single weed to be found.b5ba36d597f89514b3a775fbbffefa9e.jpg

Congrats! Now go find some ridiculously green weed.

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2018 at 10:13 PM, Horn21 said:

So you're not going to fall for 9th hole at 9 trick?

Been playing all over Thailand since late January. Highly recommend it as a bucket list item for any golfer. Favorite places to play have been Red Mountain in Phuket and Chiangmai Highlands. Don't know if I can play golf without a caddie anymore.  Every round you play here requires one. Will upload pictures when I get back to the states.

Edited by AngryDragon

76 at Bluebonnet from the "tips".  +4 after 9, a bladed pitching wedge cost me a couple strokes. Finished even par 36 on the back nine with a birdie on 18 to close it out.

Ya, it's just Bluebonnet but I care not - I'm damn pumped with a 76 anywhere. First time breaking 80 on a par 72 too. Also, work didn't catch me so that's a huge win.

• Like 1

Played last Friday out at Shady Oaks. Absolutely loved the course and the men’s locker room is the nicest I’ve seen so far. 

Fired a 39 on the front but the greens ate me alive on the back. Just couldn’t get the speed right. 47. 

Played last Friday out at Shady Oaks. Absolutely loved the course and the men’s locker room is the nicest I’ve seen so far. 
Fired a 39 on the front but the greens ate me alive on the back. Just couldn’t get the speed right. 47. 

Paging DDD Dad and Capn

We Can relate.

Well I should have taken the advice of this thread (on the old board) and not played Augusta municipal when I was down there. On more than 50% of the tee boxes I  could give my feet a little wiggle to sink down in like I was in a sand trap. The other course we played down there on a whim so we didn’t end up blacked out mid afternoon since we had no plans for Sunday was in marginally better condition but the greens looked like they hadn’t seen a drop of water in many months. 

But it was golf, and it was 85 degrees, and there was 3 inches of snow at home, so I’ll take it with a smile. 

Played a tournament on Saturday and it was brutal. Cold, windy and had major issue off the tee... but it was the first time playing in a few months and a break from a toddler. Planning on getting in a few more rounds as I leave for a trip to Bandon Dunes at the end of the month. First time going so pretty pumped about it.

Shot 39/41 at Lakeside CC yesterday.  12 GIR, only one putt made over 10 feet.  That's a great round for me.  Hope I can do that some more in 2 weeks at the member/guest.  Who doesnt love horseracing?

Played Saturday in the cold here in Dallas with @Horn21.  It wasn't too bad walking once you got your blood flowing.  Won a little $ but had to post a score that will hurt me on the next GHIN update.

As my friend said the other day, "you'd better make some money when your index is on the way down because you most certainly will have to pay when it is on the way up."

Edited by DDD Dad

49 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Played Saturday in the cold here in Dallas with @Horn21.  It wasn't too bad walking once you got your blood flowing.  Won a little $ but had to post a score that will hurt me on the next GHIN update.

As my friend said the other day, "you'd better make some money when your index is on the way down because you most certainly will have to pay when it is on the way up."

I am living that now as my index continues to skyrocket.

6 minutes ago, chitwood said:
56 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I am living that now as my index continues to skyrocket.

(Raises hand)  Wedges and putter have added 2 strokes to my index since early March.  I have won zero monies on the way up.

Saturday was a blast despite 40 degrees in April.  It was an enjoyable walk around the course, and the 3 Frozen Deep Eddys post-round were the big prize.

35 fucking putts yesterday.  what an abortion. Bought some new irons, 3-5 ap3s, added a 1/2 inch and made them 1 degree stronger, 6-p ap2s, same adjustments.  got a big round scheduled this saturday but new clubs aren't in yet.  if that putter doesn't get hot I'm going to be in a jam

35 fucking putts yesterday.  what an abortion. Bought some new irons, 3-5 ap3s, added a 1/2 inch and made them 1 degree stronger, 6-p ap2s, same adjustments.  got a big round scheduled this saturday but new clubs aren't in yet.  if that putter doesn't get hot I'm going to be in a jam

Why would you make AP’s stronger? The lofts are already at least a club stronger than standard.

This freaking game.  Tee off this morning, can't buy a putt on the front shoot 43 after 3 putting both par 3s on the way to 17 putts and an unplayable lie.  Switch to the back, 7 pars, birdie one par 5 and eagle the other for an in 33 with 12 putts.  How can one side be such garbage and the other so steady.

Why would you make AP’s stronger? The lofts are already at least a club stronger than standard.

Mainly because the titlest rep told me the ap2s I was hitting were weaker than normal. They were from 2010 though so who knows if it’s changed. Secondarily I have an ego issue when playing with guys hitting taylormade irons 20 yards further using the same numbered iron, even though we all know why.

So really just ego.

Because you touch yourself

Playing member guest at Lakeside CC starting tomorrow.

Calcutta tonight.

Even when you play like shit these things are a blast.

Praying for my swing and my liver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing in coaches vs cancer tournament in Vegas next month.  1st round at Shadow, 2nd at Southern Highlands.  Not a humble brag, just a brag.  I've played Shadow but not SH.  Any of you assholes played there?  What should I expect?

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Going to Vegas next week and got offered cascata and sh but unaccompanied guest fees are $425 and $495! 5 hours away from the tables but jfc

Play both.  Did Cascata last July, which is off season for Vegas golf and was able to get it for $199, Sputhern Highlands last month I got for just caddie fee.  I'd play both again in a heartbeat.

19 minutes ago, ImGolfn said:

Play both.  Did Cascata last July, which is off season for Vegas golf and was able to get it for $199, Sputhern Highlands last month I got for just caddie fee.  I'd play both again in a heartbeat.

Play both?!?  for $920?  No way. Those courses are worth nowhere near that $$$.  Vegas grossly overcharges for golf (unless you go in the middle of the summer).

If he was able to play them both for 199 and a caddie fee, then sure.

Edited by chitwood

high 70's-low 80's player. Sliced my left index pretty bad on glass two weeks ago and I tried to play the next week. Stitches ripped open on driving range when i was just seeing what ball contact would do. The other guys I was meeting up at the course (crystal falls) were a little late so I was about to call them and cancel. Right as I was about to they pull up talking shit and asking if I'm ready to get "dat ass beat". Said fuck it and played...shot 103. I did get dat ass beat.