2018 Golf Thread of Dominance

Hookem2102

Walked 18 on Sunday at Kizer and shot an 84 with four doubles, a quad, a birdie, and an eagle.  Lost/water balls and penalty strokes killed me and created all of those big numbers.  Bought a push cart yesterday, hoping it can keep me from being so damn tired after a round since I like to walk.

2 hours ago, heso said:

I deserve nothing but ridicule and derision for that shitshow, which is why I posted it here. 

Oh don't get me wrong, I have done many similar things in my career, and many more will follow.  As DDD says, maybe (probably) as soon as Thursday.

Shot a personal best 80 today at BC Crenshaw. I knew I was playing well and the thought of 70s started creeping in my head down the stretch. I tried to put it out of my mind but I three putt bogey 14, put one OB off the tee on 15 ending in a double, and put another OB off the tee on 16 but pull out bogey (should have let me 2nd guy go first). I had birdie putts on 17 and 18 but couldn’t convert. Hopefully I can get over the hump and break 80 this year. 

Anyone here or in general?  In general people do make it from time to time.  More often qualifiers come from the regionals ("Longest Day in Golf"), usually touring pros who aren't exempt/automatically qualified and college amateurs.

Edited by DDD Dad

Played again today in a fundraiser scramble and got a closest to the hole gift certificate.  It's fun to strike it well, it's been a few years since with my yips with the wedge in my hand. I actually bought a ping eye 2 B-copper sand wedge on Ebay and has turned my confidence around. 

On 4/24/2018 at 2:30 PM, heso said:

Just added up my putts from Sunday. Forty fucking five. 

7 gir and 45 goddamn putts. 9 three putts. 

I do the same thing, leaving long putts short. Contemplating buying a putter with one if those big ole heads on it. I've read a lot about reading greens but they dont talk as much about judging distance. I guess it's just a feel thing. What I've tried to do is put more weight on right (back) side and give more backswing. 

Also, watch the grass under the ball after the swing. (Keep head down)

Golf is a fun mind game, I understand why it never gets old. I've played off and on for years but now I'm more on then ever and having a blast. 

Usually I'm just dealing with a ton of wind (Galveston) but last round I played I had two or three really tricky shots.

Popped one through this tree (I was trying to go under) and onto the green about 12 feet past the pin. My divit filled in with sand. Lucky.

20180429_183640.jpg

Edited by Sidney Sherman

Finally got my home course Cypresswood back open played Tradition yesterday again.  Shot even on the front with a double and birdied both par 5s.  Got on the back and pace of play slowed way down, bogeyed 10 thru 14 before par on 15 and then closed with birdies on 17 and 18 to finish at 76.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sidney Sherman said:

I do the same thing, leaving long putts short. Contemplating buying a putter with one if those big ole heads on it. I've read a lot about reading greens but they dont talk as much about judging distance. I guess it's just a feel thing.

On the practice green my buddy commented on how fast the greens played the week prior for April and that they seemed faster today. The two guys from his league that played with us kept commenting on how much faster they were from the week prior. 

It fucked me up and I could not convince myself to hit a long putt as hard as I needed to. 

Well, it's my favorite weekend of the year.  The Midland County Club "Classic" golf tourney.

It's a 4-man three day tourney with the following formats:

Friday) 2x two man scramble - scores are combined

Saturday) 2x low scores out of the 4, play your own ball

Sunday) 3x low scores shamble

It's always a lot of fun and promises to deliver multiple hangovers as well as test the integrity of my marriage.

Can't wait ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Agreed (on both points).

We're doing LCC next, right boys?

Is LCC the place that's known for kids blaring all manner of music around the course, or nah?  I might be thinking of Brookhaven.  Definitely sounds like Brookhaven.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BTW said:

Well, it's my favorite weekend of the year.  The Midland County Club "Classic" golf tourney.

It's a 4-man three day tourney with the following formats:

Friday) 2x two man scramble - scores are combined

Saturday) 2x low scores out of the 4, play your own ball

Sunday) 3x low scores shamble

It's always a lot of fun and promises to deliver multiple hangovers as well as test the integrity of my marriage.

Can't wait ...

If the sort of company that you keep hasn't reduced your marriage to rubble by this point, I think you've somehow done something to convince her to stick around for the long haul.

We probably need the Surly Oddsmaker to come up with some worthy extracurricular lines for the weekend.   BTW and I plan on going DEEP into the wallets of our victims over the next 96 hours.

15 hours ago, Horn21 said:

If the sort of company that you keep hasn't reduced your marriage to rubble by this point, I think you've somehow done something to convince her to stick around for the long haul.

We probably need the Surly Oddsmaker to come up with some worthy extracurricular lines for the weekend.   BTW and I plan on going DEEP into the wallets of our victims over the next 96 hours.

Is the Saturday round net?  I hope so, because Horn21 is a well known sandbagger.

On 4/24/2018 at 2:30 PM, heso said:

Just added up my putts from Sunday. Forty fucking five. 

7 gir and 45 goddamn putts. 9 three putts. 

Dude, have you tried putting with your eyes open?  Or switch to left handed?

Played my first round of the year on Tuesday at The Boulders North in Carefree (Scottsdale), AZ.  Beautiful course!  My customers are a 9 and an 11 handicap.  They just placed 6th of 64 teams in their member tournament at their club.  They made me play with them from the tips.  They shot 81/86 and I shot a 95.  I was not that displeased with the result, either.  I don't think I've played since last October.

Edited by AnonymousInternetPoster

On 5/3/2018 at 9:12 AM, chitwood said:

Is the Saturday round net?  I hope so, because Horn21 is a well known sandbagger.

All rounds are gross, but we were flighted by total team handicap, in a effort to keep it competitive.  The problem is that we have been bested by what is apparently an egregious sandbagging effort.  The winner of our flight would have handily won the flight above us as well, and this is their 4th year in a row to win their flight in such a manner.  There are numerous reasons why it is apparent that either blatant cheating or sandbagging is happening here, and I know this happens in every tournament there is, but it's demoralizing to know that we were playing for 2nd.  It turned out not to matter since we (I) didn't play to my potential on the Saturday round and put us out of contention , but alas, good times were had by all, and my liver will never be the same.

Did you get a Caddy? Same one for both days?  Are you walking? I highly recommend a caddy and can pass a long the names of a couple of good ones if you want.

Both times I've played those courses I am amazed at the condition they are in for as much traffic as they see.  Let us know how it goes and don't forget to take your "Arnie" pic sitting on the little fence by the 18 tee box.

16 hours ago, BTW said:

Did you get a Caddy? Same one for both days?  Are you walking? I highly recommend a caddy and can pass a long the names of a couple of good ones if you want.

Both times I've played those courses I am amazed at the condition they are in for as much traffic as they see.  Let us know how it goes and don't forget to take your "Arnie" pic sitting on the little fence by the 18 tee box.

I'd take some recommendations

16 hours ago, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

Anyone play Titleist AP3?  I've been playing with my Ping i3 irons for what seems like forever and I'm getting the itch for a new set.

Any opinions on them?

Back to your question....no, but also look at the Ping i200 irons.  Traditional look on the ground.  I too am itching for some new irons.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

I considered PXG, but I'd be too afraid of them getting stolen.

If you want a forged hollow club, the TM P790 is about half the cost of the comparable PXG irons.  I've been playing them for the last couple months after a failed M1 trial.  They are a great blend of distance/forgiveness and feel.  I've got an old set of Mizuno MP33s that I absolutely love from a look, feel, shot-playing standpoint.  But I lose 10-15 yards on a toed 6i shot with those, where I might lose 3-5 yards at most on the same miss with the P790s.

Bob Parsons is actually in the middle of a long drawn out patent infringement with TM over the P790s.  He claims 11 infringements while TM claims 7 infringements against PXG in their counter-suit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

The March issue of Golf Digest (that I grabbed at an Admiral's Club) has on the "Players Distance Irons" "Hot List" Ping i200, Taylormade M3, Taylormade P790 and Titleist 718 AP3 listed in order.

Alphabetical order?

On 5/7/2018 at 4:34 PM, AnonymousInternetPoster said:

Anyone play Titleist AP3?  I've been playing with my Ping i3 irons for what seems like forever and I'm getting the itch for a new set.

Any opinions on them?

I bought some AP2s about a month ago.  Those things are sweet as sugar when you hit them in the sweet spot.  You definitely lose distance on toe/heel strikes, but the feedback is great.  You know where you are missing and can adjust.  The AP3 are supposed to be like the AP2s but just a bit more forgiving.  

12 hours ago, markstanco said:

I used to think this way.

My last set was mizuno MP32's. 2I to PW. You absolutely knew the miss-hits.

Got some cavity back Mizunos. I still know when I miss-hit and can adjust, but I just don't lose that 10% of distance any longer when it counts.

Same.  I still have a good feel/feedback with the p790s, but I'm not killing myself with slight misses like I was with the 33s.  If I can ever get my HC down to ~2-3, I would love to put mizuno blades back into play.  Got a ways to go, though.