2018 Golf Thread of Dominance

Hookem2102

17 minutes ago, Horn21 said:

Same.  I still have a good feel/feedback with the p790s, but I'm not killing myself with slight misses like I was with the 33s.  If I can ever get my HC down to ~2-3, I would love to put mizuno blades back into play.  Got a ways to go, though.

Think it is about time for an iron fitting for me.  Last thing I need to do (besides actually get a decent swing).

91 at TPC Las Colinas with a broken tip of my middle right finger. Felt terrible on the range on any mis hits. Threw the club down twice in warm ups when I bladed a ball.

Played the last two holes from the tips(pro tees) would have been E but choked on my 6i approach on 18 and hit it fat in the water. Can’t remember the stretch but definitely made three pars in a row.

10/10 would play again.

• Like 1

Played Vaaler Creek for the first time. Shot 90 in one of the most intoxicated rounds I've ever had. They had a ton of rain the night before so the course was really soft. Fairways were great, fairways were very grainy but in good shape. Rough was pretty splotchy, and the bunkers (which I had been warned about) were atrocious. Great course for the price despite a few ridiculous designs. Planning on staying in one of their condos with some buddies later this summer.

Today's the big tourney day for a group of friends at our club. Ryder Cup format tourney.

Today is team best ball, tomorrow morning is alt shot, tomorrow afternoon a relaxing/intoxicated 9 hole scramble (only worth 1/2 point with win, zero with tie because it isn't serious), then individual match play Sunday.

And didn't get fitted, my pro went to The Nelson yesterday. I'm getting it done this afternoon.

8 hours ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

Played Vaaler Creek for the first time. Shot 90 in one of the most intoxicated rounds I've ever had. They had a ton of rain the night before so the course was really soft. Fairways were great, fairways were very grainy but in good shape. Rough was pretty splotchy, and the bunkers (which I had been warned about) were atrocious. Great course for the price despite a few ridiculous designs. Planning on staying in one of their condos with some buddies later this summer.

Going back there this fall for a guys golf weekend.  I like the course.

17th hole, pin front right.  Uphill about 123 I think.  Hit is little choked, cut 9 iron.  Hit it really well right at flag.  We couldn't see the hole from the tee, but when we pulled up to the top, only saw three balls.  Other team in our group looked in the hole and there it was.  My third ever, pretty sweet.

Played the best round I have in a while.  Shot 35 on back 9, eagle, three birdies, one par, three bogeys and a double.  Ended up shooting 74, and we tied for first for the day in our flight and finished tied for second in our flight for the three days. 

• Like 4

So out of the blue I'm going to have a free day all to myself this Saturday in San Diego.  I have a wife, young kids, and work a lot so this is extremely rare.  I went to the website and it looks like Torrey is all booked up.  Anyone have any idea if there's a chance I could get on as a single if I show up early Saturday morning and am willing to wait?  If not, any other courses out there you all would recommend?  My back up plan is to go surfing and I'm fine with that too but I'd love to play somewhere cool if I can. 

Was off early today but there was a tournament on the course I work at so drove over to Cypress Lakes.   Had one bad swing on the front to give me a double bogey for a 38 front.  Got to the back had my 2nd ever hole in one on #11 173 yard par 3 with a 7 iron.  Wobbled a bit after from the excitement but managed a 1 over 73 with 3 birdies and the ace.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Call the pro shop, Gale.

I got on Torrey by showing up around 5 am on a Wednesday two weeks before the US open and was about 30th in line. Teed off before 8.

That's what I'm going to do.  Is it best to walk the course?  

Thanks, Dad!

20 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

So out of the blue I'm going to have a free day all to myself this Saturday in San Diego.  I have a wife, young kids, and work a lot so this is extremely rare.  I went to the website and it looks like Torrey is all booked up.  Anyone have any idea if there's a chance I could get on as a single if I show up early Saturday morning and am willing to wait?  If not, any other courses out there you all would recommend?  My back up plan is to go surfing and I'm fine with that too but I'd love to play somewhere cool if I can. 

Call the proshop tomorrow morning.  They hold a bunch of tee times for locals and the unclaimed ones get released to the general public three days out.  So if you call tomorrow morning they should have something for you and you can skip the 5am show up.  I play Torrey every year this way  and it hasn't failed me yet.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

That's what I'm going to do.  Is it best to walk the course?  

Thanks, Dad!

I am pretty sure I walked it but honestly can't remember anymore.

There's not a lot of up and down, and the routing is very conducive to walking.

I haven't played the north course (and it was renovated after I played in 2008).  I've heard it's prettier and more fun.

The south course starts off great.  3-6 are all strong holes with excellent views of the ocean and cliffs.  Then there are a stretch of somewhat forgettable holes until around 11.  Par 4 leading back out to the ocean (I think it's 11) and then a great par 5 running back inland followed by my favorite hole on the course (the short par 4 that was set at around 290 yards for the US Open).  15 and 16 are very pedestrian.  They reminded me of playing at Sherrill Park or some other unmemorable municipal course.  17 is a really good hole (dogleg left par 4).  I personally am not a fan of 18 but it does have some great history, most notably Tiger's finish in '08 and then Rahm's finish last year (or was it 2 years ago).

Hope you get to play one of them.  It is worth the effort of getting up before dawn and waiting in line, but if you are able to get a tee time by calling (see BTW above) that's even better!

Edited by DDD Dad

6 hours ago, TXSooner518 said:

Going to Lubbock next week for work.  Was gonna play the Rawls course, which I always do in Lubbock, but they have a tourney Wed which is the day I could play.  Any recs for courses in Lubbock, or on the drive from Austin to Lubbock?

If you have a way to get on Lubbock Country Club, do that.  It is a cool course.

If the sort of company that you keep hasn't reduced your marriage to rubble by this point, I think you've somehow done something to convince her to stick around for the long haul.
We probably need the Surly Oddsmaker to come up with some worthy extracurricular lines for the weekend.   BTW and I plan on going DEEP into the wallets of our victims over the next 96 hours.

My brothers team went for big bucks in the Calcutta this year. He’s always in the best flight, always comes close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played Vaquero in Westlake on Tuesday and had a blast. Played ok, shot an 82 but kept flying greens with my irons. Was hitting the ball great but couldn’t score because I was above the hole all day.

Course is immaculate, very short Zoysia on the fairways which pros love, the ball sits up like on a tee. The greens were as good as I’ve played on, Bentgrass that rolled like a pool table. Very large greens with a lot of undulations. You will have a lot of long putts.

We had a forecaddie, which is a must due to the very long Pampa Bermuda rough. Great food and you can get some quick, chef made grub at the turn.

One thing I love about the higher end courses are flat tee boxes. These were perfect, my club Oakmont, that’s a mixed bag, some level some sloping. This course has more bunkers than any I’ve played. Im a very good bunker player and needed to be, i had three sandies which won me some money. The sand is firm and a joy to play out of.

There are some insane houses out there.

cc9f220c76fbb8f3b75a91e7dfdef2e8.jpg

9d6b657b60638eaedee55206fa6b90b9.jpg

d5470bf2eddab60e77fe9e0268772e19.jpg

af889531761126cad1f1de214333c934.jpg

1f93ca8ed252fdad20aa858ceb6d745b.jpg

• Like 2

36 45 at lighthouse. Loved the layout- reminded me a lot of the older courses I grew up playing in indiana. Very little room for error hitting into the greens. Course was completely empty which was nice. Alcohol was flowing like water on the back. The fairways and rough were spot on. Greens were a tad Sandy but not terrible. The bunkers were packed and a bitch to get out of- landed in 3 of them sumbitches on the back. 

The 18th is kind of a let down- boring par 3 that looks like was a sweeping par 4 at one time. Would be a great closing hole but I have no idea why it was converted. Anyone know anything about it?

Overall it's a fun track and I recommend the drive out there Vaaler was great last week but a few of the holes I found kind of gimmicky. Bought a new toy before the round as well...

6dc4419228bbadd462bcaa24b8055b4d.jpgc49325d2d64394f780900e52164a7733.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

cc44c4bc33d43aa6ba84cbc2a113de75.jpg

• Like 1

I participated in a Titleist Thursday this week. Got fitted for wedges for free, and chatted up the pro a bit. Definitely worth the price of admission.

Just bought a Vokey SM7 58 degree D grind. Can't wait to use it!

I did a wedge fitting yesterday. Guy spent an hour with me working from gap to lob.

Ended up with almost exactly the same setup. Only change was going from M to S grind in my 56 sand wedge.

So I had a round for the ages yesterday. Played out at blackhawk in Pville, it's near the house. 9 birdies on the card and I shot 70. Doubled 9(which is a really hard par 4) to shoot 1-under on the front, then doubled 18(which I was so mad at myself for; it's an easy fuckin hole) to shoot 1-under on the back.

This one stung a bit because I've been playing the best golf of my life lately and I have yet to break 70 in my life. I guess I'll do it when I'm ready.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Like 1

Torrey update: couldn't get through to reservation line so went out cold. Got off to a bit of a slow start today and didn't get there until 8:00 or so. Put my name on the list and got called 10 minutes later. Me and 2 other singles on the south course. Weather was perfect. It was awesome. Hit it pretty good for me. Other 2 guys were about my level and age. Quick round done by 1 or so. Great day!

• Like 4

Member-Member this past weekend.  Finished 5th in our flight (first flight after championship).  68 net on the first day scramble was our downfall.  We were 10 strokes back going into final round and got to within 5.

Partner hasn't been playing much and struggled off the tee the first day.  Turns out he'd had his clubs regripped and they hadn't done them properly (loose at the butt).  Regripped overnight Saturday and he got much better.  I made every putt inside of 8 feet.  Literally every one.  Final round on my own ball was a 77 (with a double on 11 tee ball through the fairway into water), and we shot gross 73.

I think my game is finally coming back.

47 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I think my game is finally coming back.

How does THAT feel? In my early 20's I played off 4. Didn't play for 10 years- moved to Scotland for grad school 3 years ago and started playing again. Was happy to establish an 8 at the time but it has been downhill since. My body just doesn't do what it used to...

Tale of two sides yesterday.

50/42

Front I hit the 3 best drives I might have ever hit on 1-3 on holes I have played 50 times and made bogey then things just fell completely apart.

Back 9 it was like a different person.  I made 2 doubles after airmailing the green when I hit it about as well as I can possibly hit an iron.  I dont normally hit my 9iron 160 wtf.

Birdied 18, which means all sins are forgiven, right?