Gun Control

Heavy 6

That’s interesting. If that were related to me, I’d look at them like they were nuts too. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’ve never thought that way (or known of others who have). Of course, I’m obviously older than your daughter. So I’m curious as to when this shift-if, indeed, there is such a shift-occurred.

Yeah, I’d be curious as to when the shift really occurred. I wouldn’t be surprised if the cutoff was just a few years older than she is.
Situational awareness is not the same thing as PTSD.  I'm hyper aware of abnormal noise events in my home.  25 years living with someone with uncontrolled seizures will do that.  And honestly, training that prepares one for emergency action to mitigate worst case situations is not a bad thing.

In the abstract, you’re not wrong. The comparative point is the interesting part. American kids are much more aware and reactive compared to their non-American counterparts. And yes, I think that an entire class of people being prompted to be that way is indicative of mild PTSD.
I mean, the soldier back from the combat zone has some SERIOUS “situational awareness” - he’s scanning the roadside for IEDs, and looking at every person as if they were armed. And we all know THAT is PTSD-related.
The point is that American kids view and react to the world around them quite differently, and it’s related to the threat of being shot. That’s interesting, and telling.

Dude, experts have actually have concluded that school shooting drills can lead to trauma. Just because they aren't soldiers coming home from school doesn't mean you get to invalidate psychiatrists.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/10/778015261/experts-worry-active-shooter-drills-in-schools-could-be-traumatic-for-students

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/us/politics/active-shooter-drills-schools.html

• Like 2

You are overselling the PTSD to make an emotional point.  You are doing a disservice to folks who are suffering from the real deal. 
https://adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/posttraumatic-stress-disorder-ptsd/symptoms

First, both she and I said “mild” PTSD. You don’t have to piss your pants to have PTSD.

And, see below.
Dude, experts have actually have concluded that school shooting drills can lead to trauma. Just because they aren't soldiers coming home from school doesn't mean you get to invalidate psychiatrists.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/10/778015261/experts-worry-active-shooter-drills-in-schools-could-be-traumatic-for-students

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/04/us/politics/active-shooter-drills-schools.html

3 hours ago, formermav43 said:

That’s interesting. If that were related to me, I’d look at them like they were nuts too. Maybe I’m in the minority, but I’ve never thought that way (or known of others who have). Of course, I’m obviously older than your daughter. So I’m curious as to when this shift-if, indeed, there is such a shift-occurred.

Probably before Sandy Hook, but that kicked it into overdrive.    My wife was teaching then, and they really ramped up their security and drills after that.    I may have mentioned this before, but we were around some relatives who also teach, and they were bragging about how the new school they took jobs at was designed with shooters in mind, and how it was amazing to feel so much safer than in their old school.   

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

a loud noise makes the American students jump and look around to see if there's a threat, whereas the Canadians and Euros are much more casual when it happens.  The American students instinctively look around and determine positions of cover, exits, and escape routes when they enter a new classroom or lecture hall.  When they relate that experience to the Canadians and Euros, they look at the Americans like they're nuts.

There are a lot of Americans, many on this very board, that would read this and think it is a good thing and it is the Canadians and Euros who are nuts. 

On 1/8/2020 at 5:24 PM, GSU&UT said:

I am curious if you are aware of any published research on the specific topic.  I did a light search and did not find much in the way of quantitative research.

Is there a strong reason why active shooter drills would create more psychological trauma than, say for instance, fire drills?

If you want to talk about secondary psychological trauma in children related to these events, a significant contributor that needs to be acknowledged is the barrage of a/v media they consume related to these events. Those images, audio, etc. and the perceptions they influence are probably more impactful to their psychological mind state than practicing an active shooter drill. 

I am curious if you are aware of any published research on the specific topic.  I did a light search and did not find much in the way of quantitative research.
Is there a strong reason why active shooter drills would create more psychological trauma than, say for instance, fire drills?
If you want to talk about secondary psychological trauma in children related to these events, a significant contributor that needs to be acknowledged is the barrage of a/v media they consume related to these events. Those images, audio, etc. and the perceptions they influence are probably more impactful to their psychological mind state than practicing an active shooter drill. 

I suspect that all of those inputs play a role.
And why are we, as humans/social creatures, more afraid of being shot than of a house fire? I don’t know. We’re really bad at triaging threats based on likelihood. A person is much more likely to die in a car wreck, a house fire, or even a fall, than by a mass shooter or a terrorist, but in terms of what we are the most “afraid of,” the last two are way up the list.
My thinking is because they are violent, traumatic, and totally out of our individual control. That lack of control makes them more terrifying. And of course, in comparing the American experience with the Euro or Canadian experience, shootings are indeed a real thing for us, and they are exceptionally rare for them.
So, toss all that together, and I think that’s the likely explanation.

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I suspect that all of those inputs play a role.

Agreed.

20 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

And of course, in comparing the American experience with the Euro or Canadian experience, shootings are indeed a real thing for us, and they are exceptionally rare for them.

They are also exceptionally rare for us (25 school shootings in 2019, US has approximately 150,000 K-12 and colleges, with class on ~200 days a year = 30MM facility-days of exposure; I think it's fair to say that 25 events per 30MM instances of exposure is exceptionally rare). That they are not viewed as exceptionally rare is only a further example of the influence that the barrage of media coverage has on perceptions related to the events. Doesn't mean that we should not try to reduce that number to zero of course. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Judge Starr of the Northern District of Texas found that the Trump Administration's policy may be unconstitutional. Here is the introduction from Lane v. United States:

Bump stocks allow semi-automatic rifles to fire at a rate close to machine guns. In December 2018, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives issued a final rule determining that bump stocks qualify as prohibited machine guns under federal law and required their destruction or surrender. Brian Lane lawfully purchased three bump stocks before the rule took effect and raises a Fifth Amendment challenge that the federal government must compensate him for taking his property. The federal government responds that the rule falls under a valid use of the police power, which requires no compensation. But as explained below, the federal government forgot the Tenth Amendment and the structure of the Constitution itself. It is concerning that the federal government believes it swallowed the states whole. Assuming the federal government didn't abolish the states to take their police power, the Court DENIES the motion to dismiss WITHOUT PREJUDICE. The Court will allow the federal government to try again and explain which enumerated power justifies the federal regulation and whether it allows a taking without compensation. The Court requests that the federal government also address any limits on that federal power and the Court's proper role in examining the validity of the underlying rule when determining if there was a compensable taking.

Judge Starr rejects the notion that the federal government has a police power.

The federal government here raised the talisman of police power 31 times in its motion to dismiss and an additional 19 times in its reply. This seemed unusual to the Court because the Court had thought the police power is a power reserved for the states, not for the federal government. Fearful the Court was wrong, it turned to the first place one should always turn to with such questions: the Constitution. Article I, section 8 enumerates the powers the People gave to the federal government at our Nation's founding: the tax power, the borrowing power, the commerce power, the naturalization power, the bankruptcy power, the power to coin money, the postal power, the maritime power, and the war power.39 None of these powers is the police power.

Instead, the federal government has to rely on one of its enumerated powers. And it hasn't. Judge Starr gave the parties a chance to re-plead their case.

Judge Starr is quite right. The federal government lacks a police power. And I haven't seen this argument addressed in any other bumpstock cases.

https://reason.com/2020/03/31/district-court-finds-bump-stock-ban-may-constitute-a-taking-because-the-federal-government-lacks-a-police-power/

Oh yeah sure, Reason Magazine.  Pinko-leftist rag that was probably started last year after the West Texas shootings.  

They are also exceptionally rare for us (25 school shootings in 2019, US has approximately 150,000 K-12 and colleges, with class on ~200 days a year = 30MM facility-days of exposure; I think it's fair to say that 25 events per 30MM instances of exposure is exceptionally rare). That they are not viewed as exceptionally rare is only a further example of the influence that the barrage of media coverage has on perceptions related to the events. Doesn't mean that we should not try to reduce that number to zero of course. 

Schools are far from the only locations of mass shootings. You know that.

Mass shootings are obviously rare in an absolute sense. That doesn't mean they aren't several times more common here than in our peer countries. That they aren't viewed as rare is 1.) A product of relativism, and 2.) A product of people asking "Why does this keep happening, what seems like daily or weekly?"

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Schools are far from the only locations of mass shootings. You know that.

Thank you for pointing that out.  Of course what we were discussing was the experience of American school children, and the roles of different inputs including active shooter drills, the media, etc. on the level of psychological trauma observed in a broad population. Thus the focus on school shootings.  

9 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Thank you for pointing that out.  Of course what we were discussing was the experience of American school children, and the roles of different inputs including active shooter drills, the media, etc. on the level of psychological trauma observed in a broad population. Thus the focus on school shootings.  

I had to go through those drills. All I could think was that it was nice getting to sit on the floor, and not have to do school work.

On 3/25/2018 at 6:47 PM, Skyline said:

What's Santorum up these days? 

The ensuing controversy prompted syndicated sex columnist Dan Savage, who’s gay, to start a contest, soliciting reader suggestions for slang terms to “memorialize the scandal.” The winner came up with the “frothy mixture” idea, Savage launched a website, and a meme was born. Even though mainstream news outlets would never link to it, Savage’s site rose in the Google rankings, thanks in part to bloggers who posted Santorum-related news on the site or linked to it from their blogs. Eventually it eclipsed Santorum’s own campaign site in search results; some observers even suggested it may have contributed to Santorum’s crushing 18-point defeat in his 2006 campaign against Bob Casey.

On 1/11/2020 at 1:27 PM, Anastasis said:

Your definition of "exceptionally rare" is like the definition of a mild concussion.

What would you do to reduce that number to 0?

• 1 month later...

A man who owns guns illegally kills a buncha people.  So let's...take guns from everyone who owns them legally.  It stops just short of outright confiscation, but come on.

Canadians are no longer allowed to buy, sell, use, transport or import those types of weapons, Trudeau said. Owners of those guns will have a two-year amnesty period to surrender the weapons, and Parliament will pass legislation to provide them with “fair compensation,” he said.

But gun owners also will have the option to have their weapons "grandfathered" under the new requirements, senior Canadian officials said. They did not provide more details on the buyback program or on grandfathering, which they said are still being worked out.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/01/canada-bans-assault-style-guns-229243

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

A man who owns guns illegally kills a buncha people.  So let's...take guns from everyone who owns them legally

Yep.  Sorry brah.  

“Why should I have my guns taken off me? I’ve done nothing wrong.” Look, I agree with you. If you’re a responsible gun owner and you don’t fuck around with them, then you should be allowed your guns. You really should. But that’s not how society works. We have to play to the 1% that are such fuckwits they ruin it for the rest of us. We have to walk as slow as our slowest person to keep society fucking moving, right? I take drugs like a fucking champion.  We should all be allowed to take fucking drugs, but we can’t, can we? Because Sarah took drugs and she stabbed her fucking kids. Oh! “Oh, thanks, Sarah. You fucked it up for everyone.” Right? Everyone should be allowed to drive their car as fast as they can do it, right? But we can’t because Jonathan got drunk and ran over a family. “Thanks, Jonathan!"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

A man who owns guns illegally kills a buncha people.  So let's...take guns from everyone who owns them legally.  It stops just short of outright confiscation, but come on.

Canadians are no longer allowed to buy, sell, use, transport or import those types of weapons, Trudeau said. Owners of those guns will have a two-year amnesty period to surrender the weapons, and Parliament will pass legislation to provide them with “fair compensation,” he said.

But gun owners also will have the option to have their weapons "grandfathered" under the new requirements, senior Canadian officials said. They did not provide more details on the buyback program or on grandfathering, which they said are still being worked out.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/01/canada-bans-assault-style-guns-229243

Hopefully this doesn't come to America. My county thinks $80k is a fair assessment for my 5000 sqft plot of land. They'll probably offer $50 for my AR15. No thanks.

• 1 month later...

Why didn’t we see the same type of massive protests that we have had in response to George Floyd’s murder when we went through Colombine? Sandy Hook? Orlando nightclub? Virginia Tech? Mandalay Bay? Stoneman Douglas? Santa Fe High? Sunderland Springs? El Paso Walmart?  Countless others.

We have seen public sentiment reach critical mass on racism.  It will reach critical mass on gun control soon.   It’s coming.  Second Amendment fans will wonder what happened to their stronghold on the issue and wonder how the change happened so fast.  Change is coming and the old NRA “slippery slope” argument for fighting tooth and nail against the slightest change is a loser bet.  These kids doing active shooter drills for the past few years protest and march their asses off, so I’m betting they are going to vote en mass as well.         

If you are in the 2A camp, this is your window of action.  Don’t buy more guns.  Instead, put your money where your mouth is.  Invest in mental health with real treatment sponsorship.  Agree to  global background checks.  End gun show loopholes.  Meet reasonable legislation half-way.  Stand up for truth when nut jobs call the next Sandy Hook victims “actors.”  Stop the good guy with a gun fantasy play, and set up a fund for victims of random gun violence based on a voluntary fee when buying guns or ammo.  

Change is coming.  Positive action.  By you.  Right now.  Is the only way to head off the kind of changes that you see as worst case scenario.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

Why didn’t we see the same type of massive protests that we have had in response to George Floyd’s murder when we went through Colombine? Sandy Hook? Orlando nightclub? Virginia Tech? Mandalay Bay? Stoneman Douglas? Santa Fe High? Sunderland Springs? El Paso Walmart?  Countless others.

We have seen public sentiment reach critical mass on racism.  It will reach critical mass on gun control soon.   It’s coming.  Second Amendment fans will wonder what happened to their stronghold on the issue and wonder how the change happened so fast.  Change is coming and the old NRA “slippery slope” argument for fighting tooth and nail against the slightest change is a loser bet.  These kids doing active shooter drills for the past few years protest and march their asses off, so I’m betting they are going to vote en mass as well.         

If you are in the 2A camp, this is your window of action.  Don’t buy more guns.  Instead, put your money where your mouth is.  Invest in mental health with real treatment sponsorship.  Agree to  global background checks.  End gun show loopholes.  Meet reasonable legislation half-way.  Stand up for truth when nut jobs call the next Sandy Hook victims “actors.”  Stop the good guy with a gun fantasy play, and set up a fund for victims of random gun violence based on a voluntary fee when buying guns or ammo.  

Change is coming.  Positive action.  By you.  Right now.  Is the only way to head off the kind of changes that you see as worst case scenario.  

image.gif.4467fea49e49b7a83bdea1ec88bdc938.gif

12 minutes ago, Disco Strangler said:

tenor.gif?itemid=3533414

p08fnymb.jpg

You are the first line in your self defense plan.

Edited by Brothahorn

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

That data shows massive noncompliance with the assault weapon registration requirement. Based on an estimate from the National Shooting Sports Federation, about 1 million firearms in New York State meet the law’s assault-weapon criteria, but just 44,000 have been registered. That’s a compliance rate of about 4 percent. Capanna said that the high rate of noncompliance with the law could only be interpreted as a large-scale civil disobedience, given the high level of interest and concern about the law on the part of gun owners.

https://hudsonvalleyone.com/2016/07/07/massive-noncompliance-with-safe-act/

• 1 month later...
So many good guys with guns.

Too many dead bodies.

ah yes good guy with gun has a bad day and shoots other good guys with and without guns and is shot (sadly) but also patriotically by other good guys with guns who also shot patriots who died without guns to prove we need more guns buy also good guys with guns who turned bad and proved we need guns for protection. Authorities hope more guns will be present at respective funerals to shoot bad mourners not shooting others for infringing freedom and gun rights but also to shoot those not shooting bad guys who are not shooting first.

Guns should be viewed in the same light the country has come to see cigarette smoking. It’s legal and all but not in any way cool.
might be a fair point
I will on occasion have a smoke after a whiskey. I quickly wash my hands off and feel gross later, but that smoke...

I really enjoy shooting. but I also know more than two hunting lodge owners who dealt with catastrophic gun injuries. That's harder to wash off. just the stories third hand...

H.R.5717 - Gun Violence Prevention and Community Safety Act of 2020

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5717/text#H0CE309557D6D4D78B1B29893582E4588

The link is to the text of the bill. Taxes in there, 50% on ammo and 30% on firearms. Licensing too. Lots more.

It's already on FB. How do I know?

0bd13c169897733856387748cdf6c8c9.0.jpg

Edited by cactusflinthead

24 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

H.R.5717 - Gun Violence Prevention and Community Safety Act of 2020

https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-congress/house-bill/5717/text#H0CE309557D6D4D78B1B29893582E4588

The link is to the text of the bill. Taxes in there, 50% on ammo and 30% on firearms. Licensing too. Lots more.

It's already on FB. How do I know?

0bd13c169897733856387748cdf6c8c9.0.jpg

I'm failing to see the problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/11/2020 at 8:42 AM, Anastasis said:

Just take a look at the Boomers. They were told to hide under their desks as kids because the Communists wanted to drop bombs on them. 55 years later, they're storming the Capitol to stop communism.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm failing to see the problem.

Well, pricing the less fortunate out of the ability to protect themselves is one problem.   Since most people on this board can “pay to play” in a sense, this really doesn’t do shit. Most people have been paying 100% premium on ammo for a year now already.  

On 6/9/2020 at 11:24 PM, Disco Strangler said:

Why didn’t we see the same type of massive protests that we have had in response to George Floyd’s murder when we went through Colombine?

Because lots and lots of people on both aisles have them, and want to keep them. Probably one of the more bi-partisan agreements there is, sans the red meat that’s thrown out to appease the fringes. 

On 6/9/2020 at 11:24 PM, Disco Strangler said:

If you are in the 2A camp, this is your window of action.  Don’t buy more guns.

Why not?  

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Just take a look at the Boomers. They were told to hide under their desks as kids because the Communists wanted to drop bombs on them. 55 years later, they're storming the Capitol to stop communism.

Yes, this is exactly the type of data we need to inform gun control legislation.

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Apparently because we were within a hair's breadth of a fascist takeover of the American government.

Not directed at you, but the fuck does that have to do with me and the guns I’ve purchased since that post?  That’s for those idiots that decided to fuck around and are now finding out. You can take their guns, idgaf.  The focus is and should be on law abiding owners. 

Poor people pay taxes and fees to

Drink beer

Fish 

Hunt

Put a boat in the water.

30 and 50 percent is ridiculous. Make it similar to buying a fishing license. License the individual firearms. 10 bucks. Hundred bucks for ten? Bubba will find the cash. Or Bubba will have to see them confiscated if he gets pulled over or stopped by the game warden. 

How much is Bubba paying in sin tax on booze and tobacco? 

Lord, this ain't hard. Make it AT LEAST as difficult as buying decongestants. 

Canada. Look at Canada

They have heap plenty guns. But, they also have some fucking regulations.

1 minute ago, cactusflinthead said:

Poor people pay taxes and fees to

Drink beer

Fish 

Hunt

Put a boat in the water.

30 and 50 percent is ridiculous. Make it similar to buying a fishing license. License the individual firearms. 10 bucks. Hundred bucks for ten? Bubba will find the cash. Or Bubba will have to see them confiscated if he gets pulled over or stopped by the game warden. 

How much is Bubba paying in sin tax on booze and tobacco? 

Lord, this ain't hard. Make it AT LEAST as difficult as buying decongestants. 

Canada. Look at Canada

They have heap plenty guns. But, they also have some fucking regulations.

Just don't let one man kill a few people, it'll make a whole boat load of guns illegal without legislation.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...