Plano/Frisco Recommendations

RiceOwl

Just moved to right around Tollway/SRT... Seems to be a heavy dose of chains (which I expected). What are the good local places?

So far I’ve been to Hutchins BBQ (great) and Growler USA (in the Colony, good beer bar) but other than that, just chains. 

With the amount of Asians in this area, there’s gotta be some good ethnic food?

Haven’t eaten up there in a while but I’ll 3rd Whiskey Cake.

Used to like Jaspers a lot.

Havent tried it yet, but Zaytinya is supposed to be amazing.  It’s Jose Andres’ place.

Sushi at Edoko was always really really good.

They have added a ton since I lived up there.  Great time to try new restaurants.

whiskey cake's kid's meals are the best deal on the planet.  $5 for the entire meal.  

also make sure you check out legacy food hall.  really good place for both families and adults depending on time of day.  

• Like 1

Another for Whiskey Cake and a big, big rec for Legacy Food Hall try when there is a outdoor event there for sure.  Kenny's Burger Joint is also a good spot on Legacy and 121.  By Whiskey Cake is a wine bar and restaurant Sixty Vines, I've never been but heard some good things.  The Boardwalk Granite Park (121/SRT SE corner) has Hook Line, The Biscuit Bar and Union Bear Brewery and several other spots.   

Edited by Sparky

36 minutes ago, Sparky said:

Another for Whiskey Cake and a big, big rec for Legacy Food Hall try when there is a outdoor event there for sure.  Kenny's Burger Joint is also a good spot on Legacy and 121.  By Whiskey Cake is a wine bar and restaurant Sixty Vines, I've never been but heard some good things.  The Boardwalk Granite Park (121/SRT SE corner) has Hook Line, The Biscuit Bar and Union Bear Brewery and several other spots.   

Have heard Legacy Food Hall is awesome. Met a mortgage broker for business lunch at Sixty Vines once and the food was terrific. Lots and lots of Plano MILFs sipping chardonnay in big groups too. So there's that. Which is nice. (BTW, Sixty Vines just opened -- or is about to open -- a new location at The Crescent in Uptown.

Edited by C-Man

I knew I was forgetting one for now, the Holy Grail on Preston just south of SRT is a great spot.  Got lots of taps and really good pub food.  Small dark place but good stuff.  They do different specials on the weekends for food.  If you want down home diner food and great breakfast then Norma's over just north of the mall is a good option.

55 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Have heard Legacy Food Hall is awesome. Met a mortgage broker for business lunch at Sixty Vines once and the food was terrific. Lots and lots of Plano MILFs sipping chardonnay in big groups too. So there's that. Which is nice. (BTW, Sixty Vines just opened -- or is about to open -- a new location at The Crescent in Uptown.

We're all sounding like fan boys for Frontburner Restaurant Group.  Whiskey Cake and Sixty Vines are a couple of their concepts.  I'll add that another one of their shops, Mexican Sugar, up in Legacy is pretty solid.  I also think that their Ida Claire in Addison is the nuts.  These guys are doing a great job on all their brands. 

2 hours ago, Sparky said:

I knew I was forgetting one for now, the Holy Grail on Preston just south of SRT is a great spot.  Got lots of taps and really good pub food.  Small dark place but good stuff.  They do different specials on the weekends for food.  If you want down home diner food and great breakfast then Norma's over just north of the mall is a good option.

Not a huge fan of the owners at Holy Grail.

1 minute ago, bigup2dahorns said:

August 2018 Crush Craft will open their second location at the Star in Frisco. Original location in Uptown, one of the best Thai restaurants in all of DFW.

Crush is the nuts.  Very fun and approachable fast casual Thai.  They will do great up there.

6 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

We're all sounding like fan boys for Frontburner Restaurant Group.  Whiskey Cake and Sixty Vines are a couple of their concepts.  I'll add that another one of their shops, Mexican Sugar, up in Legacy is pretty solid.  I also think that their Ida Claire in Addison is the nuts.  These guys are doing a great job on all their brands. 

Love some frontburner concepts and hate some others.  Mostly love though

7 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Aaaand, they're the folks behind legacy hall as well.  What they do, they do well. 

If you venture as far north as Frisco, the same people (not the frontburner group, though) do Trufire and Mash'd, both of which are different from each other but good for what they are.  Pizzeria Testa is a good real neopolitan pizza spot.  I'd also second the votes for Zaytinya and Holy Grail.  Love both of those as well.

I've been in this area for a few years, and it's actually not difficult to avoid chains and find great food these days. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cane Rosso - don't know if the HH is the same, but the one in Fairveiw (Allen) has several regular sized pizzas for $5-7 and Peroni beers for $3 and mixed drinks for $5. My wife and I go there at least once a week for HH and never spend more than $20 - its a great deal. 

On 7/13/2018 at 3:16 PM, Sparky said:

Holy Grail was the first thing that came to mind when I opened this thread.  

Another good option for growler fills is Thirsty Growler a few exits west of DNT/121 in The Colony. 

• 2 weeks later...
Tried Union Bear Brewing Co this past weekend.  ( 121/Tollway).   Really good food and a hell of a whiskey selection.  Their west coast IPA was outstanding as well.

I loved the one that was down in West Village but it closed. Their pizza was terrific.

Tried Union Bear Brewing Co this past weekend.  ( 121/Tollway).   Really good food and a hell of a whiskey selection.  Their west coast IPA was outstanding as well.

I had long ago discounted that corner of 121 and DNT. For the longest time it was just Blue Mesa. Sounds like I need to get back over there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We like Bonnie Ruth's and Crudo. Just tried The Latin Pig last night - thumbs up.

Highly recommend Steve Fields (Preston / Park). Cool, old school jazz / cocktail lounge with good steaks and seafood.

Edited by Kyle
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bumpin' this thread because I'm heading to Frisco/McKinney this Friday thru Sunday evening. Going solo and staying near the Toyota Stadium and playing in a tournament at the Gabe Nesbitt Complex. Haven't been in this area in 15 years, so any recs for good food, drinks are needed. Looks like there is quite a bit to choose from but not familiar with the local places other than hitting up Tupps Brewery at some point.

Also , driving up from the Austin area Friday morning hoping to get there before traffic is God awful if that's possible.

Real close to the stadium is Blue Goose, if you want no frills laid back Mexican food.  It's easy to pop a spot at the bar for one.  Just right up Main Street to the East is Haystack Burgers and Barley which has some good burgers.

Edited by Sparky
  • Like 1

Another one for you to try @Mr.Hovis- it's in between where you're staying and where you'e playing.  I had what was maybe the best breakfast taco I've ever eaten today at Mexican Cactus in Allen.  121 and Watters.  

Crispy peppered bacon, egg or egg whites, Fried potatoes, melted mozzarella cheese, fresh pico de gallo, topped with salsa borracha.

On a fresh made flour tortilla.  Thought it was weird when I saw mozzarella, but they throw it on the flat grill first so it's crispy on one side and still sorta bubbly/melty on the other.  So damn good.  Also got a carne asada taco (on fresh corn), which was pretty standard but the ingredients were top notch. Good guac to start, and they had several good housemade sauces as well.  It's counter service, but they do have a liquor license.

Mexican-Cactus.jpg

Awesome service too.  They're still in the soft opening stage, but I'm not sure why- they have a full menu and the kitchen is humming. 

https://mexicancactustacobar.com/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2018 at 8:24 AM, Landomatic said:

Havent tried it yet, but Zaytinya is supposed to be amazing.  It’s Jose Andres’ place.

Well, that didn’t last long...

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/11-19-19-zaytinya-frisco-jose-andres-closed/?fbclid=IwAR2HphNJBH18Iy4vNz8Qhmwk6WKOJyh2s6dPQ0yhEqHI1PoiZllcKwpZLG8

Frisco location of Zaytinya restaurant from famed Jose Andres closes

A Frisco restaurant from an internationally famous chef has closed: Zaytinya, the Mediterranean restaurant known for its inventive Turkish, Greek, and Lebanese cuisine, closed on November 18, after less than two years in the space.

Employees were notified of the shutdown at the restaurant on Monday, according to Escape Hatch.

The restaurant opened in early 2018 as a spinoff of the original in Washington, D.C., where it's been a top dining destination since 2002. The opening was accompanied by great fanfare, thanks to the sterling reputation of its chef and founder José Andrés, whose accolades include two Michelin stars for Minibar by José Andrés, as well as having been named one of the "100 Most Influential People" by Timemagazine.

Andrés opened the restaurant in partnership with D.ream is a subsidiary of Dogus Holding, a high-flying Turkish corporation that owns not only restaurants, but car dealerships, retail, construction companies, and banks. Dogus launched D.ream in 2012; it claims to run 170 restaurants in 10 countries.

Frisco is surely booming but The Star has not been a sure bet for restaurants, with closures such as Liberty Burger and East Hampton Sandwich Co.

A statement from management suggests that they're not done with DFW, and a spokesperson says that the team is "well into discussions" to relocate to Dallas.