Ski Season 17/18

Upgrayedd

I mean, I don't care one way or another, I'm just saying it's very travel based, unlike the others. Unless we are talking about pro skiing, which definitely should be here. Apparently I'm the only one who watches that though.

Of course, the major and really only relevant issue is finding someone to house a group in their condo for free.  All other stuff is secondary.

Still, would think maybe week or anywhere up to such in the Tahoe area would be just swell, Wally.  People can come and go as necessary.  Also consideration as to spouses/family attending, stuff like that.  I won't fool around on the wife, but I'll be glad to be a wingman and lie my ass off for someone to help their cause.

Anyway, there seem to be some decent snow sliders on the board, so maybe?  (full disclosure:  I used ta run ski trips but that was awhile ago, probably lost most of my connections by now (the industry turns over pretty quickly).  But I just thought it might be a good way to meet some Shaggers.  And if you suck as a human being, only have to put up with it for a few days.  And I really am not in the mood to totally handle one here, but would be glad to help with whatever's needed).

Otherwise, phd jr. has become an almost-expert boarder, so we'll probably do Tahoe anyways next Jan. or March.   But hell, why not give it a shot.

Could be the best, or worst, suggestion ever on the ski forum.  But there it is.

Salt Lake City would probably be more affordable than Tahoe. Can stay in town for much cheaper than any resort. Just drive into the canyons to ski for the day, only like a 20 min trip depending on where you are. And if you get the Ski City super pass it’s like $90/day for both Little and Big Cottonwood Canyon. That includes Alta and Snowbird, which have a case for being the best ski mountains in America if not the whole world. Also, ski tailgating is an absolute blast in the canyons at SLC. 

7 hours ago, Upgrayedd said:

Looking to add a frontside carver to the quiver.  Any recs?

If you get a pure carver you'll mostly be locked into it's turn shape.  Maybe demo some all mountain brands known for lots of edge grip, with 90ish or less in the waist.   Stockli, Volkl, Blizzard, Kastle,  etc.  Like a Volkl Kendo, Stockli stormrider 88, or Blizzard Brahma.  There are lots of models between 75-95 waist size, it just depends on where you personally like the sweetspot in performance ability of the ski to overlap.  So many choices of thinner and more precise, or wider and floppy, but that are still known as frontside skis.  Then there is something like a Blizzard Bonafide which is 98 wide but still has lots of grip.  I can vouch for that one.  

• Like 1

I'm exclusively an Atomic man meself.  These are nice for all-mountains:

BLA.jpg

(don't own, rented 'em this year, fast turners)

For pure racing type carving, Atomic Redsters are great, but I wouldn't buy strict carvers for the type of skiing I do... Vin's all-mountain rec is more my style.

• Like 1

After day one of skiing in Chamonix, my guide had me switch to these skis on day two:

https://www.onthesnow.com/gear/a/10540/2017-2018-men-s-all-mountain-front-skis/black-crows/orb-2018

https://www.black-crows.com/orb-skis

Really enjoyed them.  Felt great at higher speeds but also managed bumps well and were a dream on powder.  

• Like 1

Thanks all for the feedback.

Probably should have noted that I have Line Prophet 98s already in the quiver.  Love that ski on soft groomers, harbor chop, and knee-deep type stuff, however, to me it definitely has a soft-snow bias (tend to wash-out on hardback and ice) and it seems that half of my days on-mountain call for a ski that I can keep on edge and not have to look for soft spots to turn.

I demoed the Head Supershape i.Rally (76 under foot) Saturday at PCMR and liked it with the only exception that, with me at least, the ski was a little grabby at the tips when in the mashed potato slush that accumulated at the bottom of the hill (kind of a squared-off shovel contributed plus technique I am sure).  

Someone on a chair had a pair of Nordica Speedmachine GT 80s that he really loved.  I might try to find somewhere to demo those because I will probably need something like that for my next trip to A-Basin over Cinco de Mayo.

5 hours ago, texasdago said:

Haven't skied WP in about 12 years.  I always remember it being one of the colder resorts in the area.

I don't know that it's materially colder than any of the other big CO resorts (the Fraser valley definitely gets colder, but not necessarily the resort).  They can all get really cold under the right conditions and they're always cold at the top of the moutain.

I took the fam up to Taos for spring break. One day of ski school at Taos was huge for my 7 and 5 yr old. I was able to enjoy skiing with them on greens the second day. I’d tried to teach them myself the last two years and it just didn’t work. Snow wasn’t great, but was just enough. I love TSV. I’m thinking about buying some land or a little cabin in/around the Kit Carson area within an hour of the ski valley.

we stopped in ruidoso on the way back for the night, I enjoy the town, they just don’t get enough snow most years now for any enjoyable skiing.

WaGXb15.jpg

18 hours ago, texasdago said:

Haven't skied WP in about 12 years.  I always remember it being one of the colder resorts in the area.

WP is nice but it's a bit of a detour for an area that, well, just doesn't have that much to me.  Plus the town is pretty dead.  I know some might say no way, you can always ski/apres great stuff if you know where to look, but I was never big on that area.  As far as cold, I think A Basin gets about as cold as anywhere.  The sun takes awhile to come up over the East Face and it really doesn't warm up until late morning many times, plus, it's so friggin' high it seems to get pretty chilly... it's got a big bowl shape, and faces essentially north.  But I still love that area.

WP is nice but it's a bit of a detour for an area that, well, just doesn't have that much to me.  Plus the town is pretty dead.  I know some might say no way, you can always ski/apres great stuff if you know where to look, but I was never big on that area.  As far as cold, I think A Basin gets about as cold as anywhere.  The sun takes awhile to come up over the East Face and it really doesn't warm up until late morning many times, plus, it's so friggin' high it seems to get pretty chilly... it's got a big bowl shape, and faces essentially north.  But I still love that area.
It's definitely different than Breck or Vail. That's why i like it, but to each his own.

2 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Agreed... I'll take A-Basin any day.  No B.S., pure skiing, lots of above treeline.  Reminds me of Europe sans the cheap lift tickets and good food.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

You can come if avatar joins you and wears that shirt.

I pitched it.  She said that it would make her uncomfortable being around people that had seen her boobs without her permission.  

That and she thinks we are all assholes.

1 hour ago, Upgrayedd said:

I pitched it.  She said that it would make her uncomfortable being around   she thinks we are all assholes.

Hell, what other kinds of people are there ?  and, what about those of use who she has given permission ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0

On 3/29/2018 at 4:01 PM, longhrnfan said:

Anyone ever ski Beaver Creek? I did for he first time this year and fell in love. Pricey though... 

Beaver Creek is pretty cool but yeah, really pricey. I was there last year. I think that I like Brek best of the i70 hills. Telluride is my favorite resort in Colorado though, its just a trek to get to. 

Spraying with snow as you pull up isn’t as fun as flipping snow off your tips as you are standing around.

The avatar loves when I do that.  Bonus points for hitting underneath the chin.

Speaking of Beaver Creek, Hollywood Colt is a fan of that hill.  He make it over here?

On 3/29/2018 at 8:31 AM, Chewbacca said:

There are unfortunately still crowds there since it is the closest resort to Denver. And I'll put the mountain up against any of them in CO.

I loved the mountain there and had some great days on Mary Jane side with no lift lines on Presidents Day.  Cool people too.  I prefer it to Summit Co. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, texasdago said:

Hey, you ever do much skiing at Val Di Fiemme? It's a trip I've always wanted to take but never have really had the chance. Thinking maybe next December/January I might want to take a New Year's trip to Italy and check it out. It looks amazing but I also cant tell based on the map if the runs are short or if the ski area is just massive. I've also never skied in Europe, so I don't know how it compares to Colorado and Utah.