Dallas Grocery Store Talk

Landomatic

New Central Market in Preston Hollow to open September 5th.  Pretty funny description...

The store is located in the tony Preston Hollow area, the neighborhood that Forbes magazine described as "home to billionaires, athletes, and the 43rd president," as in George W. Bush.

It will be just an 18-karat gold Patek Philippe Calatrava cross cufflink's throw from the residences (and more importantly, maids) of Ross Perot, Roger Staubach, and T. Boone Pickens.

For too long, these shoppers seeking Central Market goods have had to drive 3 miles north to Preston and Royal, or worse, venture east of US-75 (shudder) to the store on Greenville Avenue.

http://dallas.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/07-12-18-central-market-midway-road-northwest-highway/

Teresa Gubbins (CultureMap) is insufferable.  Her sarcasm is almost always mean spirited and not funny and her running and continuing, one-sided "feud" with the DMN and Leslie Brenner is silly. Her posts about the new critic are just childish.

That all being said, anyone with scoop on the Central Market coming to Oak Cliff?  Apparently, the land is bought at Zang and Davis, I think in the new Crescent complex.

27 minutes ago, DFWTexEx said:

Teresa Gubbins (CultureMap) is insufferable.  Her sarcasm is almost always mean spirited and not funny and her running and continuing, one-sided "feud" with the DMN and Leslie Brenner is silly. Her posts about the new critic are just childish.

That all being said, anyone with scoop on the Central Market coming to Oak Cliff?  Apparently, the land is bought at Zang and Davis, I think in the new Crescent complex.

Haha I generally agree but I thought the maids comments was pretty funny.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Think it's going in where the Zoli's was.

2 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Leslie Brenner was insufferable so ...

• 4 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, lonestarguido said:

This is a game changer, love how the TT on Inwood renovated to try and keep up and it generally looks about the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does the TT on Inwood, f/k/a Simon David, still kind of purport to be a bit extra upscale?  I haven't been in a decade, at least, and it seems that TTs across the board have gone more or less upscale, but I have lost the basis of comparison.

Anyway, fuck a Central Market.  I just want a regular HEB.

I heard rumors that plans are finally advancing whatever that means. No timeline yet.

I’ll be living less than a mile away from there come January and that Tom Thumb off of Hampton ain’t gon cut it.

Does the TT on Inwood, f/k/a Simon David, still kind of purport to be a bit extra upscale?  I haven't been in a decade, at least, and it seems that TTs across the board have gone more or less upscale, but I have lost the basis of comparison.

Anyway, fuck a Central Market.  I just want a regular HEB.

Not really. Just a bunch of upscale folks shopping from the east, and some hood folks from the west. Odd combo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lonestarguido said:

Not really. Just a bunch of upscale folks shopping from the east, and some hood folks from the west. Odd combo.

Ha...that’s no shit.  One of the few places in town I’m one part worried I might get car jacked and one part worried someone might actually want to compare portfolios.

19 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Isn't she the one that John Tesar is completely obsessed with because she won't give Knife anything more than 3 stars?

Yes, but his over the top obsession actually started when she gave Spoon 4 stars instead of 5.  The dude is as much a marketer as a chef (maybe more so), so even though the reviews were really positive, he freaked out.

I thought the 3 stars for Knife when it was only a few months old was generous.  We were not fans and our foodie friends didn't like it either.  I have heard good things lately, so maybe it has evolved.  

The side note to the Knife review was the "Brenner Boycott" that Tesar started with the guys at Proof & Pantry (RIP) and Lark in the Park.  It got national press because these rebel chefs proclaimed that they would not allow her or DMN photographers in their restaurants.  It was supposed to start a movement of some kind.  It never really took off and Brenner's normal reviews continued until she left.  The new critic (also from LA) says she is redoing the star system.  But, I don't think she has published a review yet.

3 hours ago, DFWTexEx said:

Yes, but his over the top obsession actually started when she gave Spoon 4 stars instead of 5.  The dude is as much a marketer as a chef (maybe more so), so even though the reviews were really positive, he freaked out.

I thought the 3 stars for Knife when it was only a few months old was generous.  We were not fans and our foodie friends didn't like it either.  I have heard good things lately, so maybe it has evolved.  

The side note to the Knife review was the "Brenner Boycott" that Tesar started with the guys at Proof & Pantry (RIP) and Lark in the Park.  It got national press because these rebel chefs proclaimed that they would not allow her or DMN photographers in their restaurants.  It was supposed to start a movement of some kind.  It never really took off and Brenner's normal reviews continued until she left.  The new critic (also from LA) says she is redoing the star system.  But, I don't think she has published a review yet.

Plus Tesar’s an asshole.

On 8/10/2018 at 3:36 PM, South Austin said:

I remember living in Dallas for the first time during my summer law firm clerkships in 1998 and going to the Tom Thumb on Lovers. I had never felt so underdressed going to a grocery store.

You mean Old Town or Snider Plaza?  Of the 75225/05 Tom Thumbs, including Preston Royal, Old Town is probably the most relaxed.

On 8/11/2018 at 11:45 AM, Surly Bevo said:

Sir....does this mean that HEB is not coming?

Yep. HEB owns land and older derelict grocery stores all over DFW. New CMs? Yes. New actual HEB? Yeah, not yet.

You still gonna have to make the ride to the hinterlands of Corsicana, Burleson, or Granbury. Waxahachie too.