DeMarco Murray retires from football

Machinator

Didn't he go to that same steroid factory Nevada high school as that OU DE who kidnapped a chick, held a screwdriver to her throat, and threatened to kill her?  And old Stoops let him right into the program a few months later?
You're going to have to be more specific..
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Didn't he go to that same steroid factory Nevada high school as that OU DE who kidnapped a chick, held a screwdriver to her throat, and threatened to kill her?  And old Stoops let him right into the program a few months later?

which OU DE who kidnapped a chick, held a screwdriver to her throat, and threatened to kill her?

that could be like anybody

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Yes he went to Gorman.  I know R Reynolds went to Gorman. Not sure about guy your talkin about. Was that Dusty?

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

I don't blame these guys, especially RBs, for retiring early. I think you qualify for the pension after 4 years, so he's got that. Walk away while you can actually walk.

Is 7 years really "retiring early"?  That's way longer than the average NFL career, especially RBs.  And like you said, he qualified for the pension after 4, and presumably he's still relatively healthy.  I think he's retiring at the right time.  If you wait until it starts to hurt before you retire, I'd say you retired too late.

25 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Is 7 years really "retiring early"?  That's way longer than the average NFL career, especially RBs.  And like you said, he qualified for the pension after 4, and presumably he's still relatively healthy.  I think he's retiring at the right time.  If you wait until it starts to hurt before you retire, I'd say you retired too late.

I don't know. My own internal scale (based on nothing but comparisons to other players over the years) was that 10 years is what I expect from an all-star player. I think 7 years is just fine, those guys don't owe us anything. I hope he made enough dough to live comfortably and he doesn't have any medical issues.

4 hours ago, crash_davis said:

nfl running backs are realizing that long term health is worth more than tens of millions.

Agreed, for as great as Ali was in his day and all the millions earned, he can't fully enjoy any of those benefits in his current shape, similar to NFL players with CTE injuries...

Just now, immortal13 said:

I believe his last name was Chaisson or something like that.

That was the dude who got talked down and then arrested for attempting to stab his girlfriend through the throat with a screwdriver.  He got a  full ride scholarship to OU.  If Clark County had tasers back then, he may have gone to the U.  

22 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

That was the dude who got talked down and then arrested for attempting to stab his girlfriend through the throat with a screwdriver.  He got a  full ride scholarship to OU.  If Clark County had tasers back then, he may have gone to the U.  

Yeah, that's the guy Johnny Sack was talking about

Agreed, for as great as Ali was in his day and all the millions earned, he can't fully enjoy any of those benefits in his current shape, similar to NFL players with CTE injuries...

You're right, Ali certainly can't enjoy any of those benefits in his current shape, not a single one..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

murrayleap.0.gif

He was a beast his first season with the Titans leading the AFC in rushing. Injuries and a high workload took their toll last season and his production ground to a halt. Despite being a sooner he always came off as a classy guy and he speaks highly of Derrick Henry and took him under his wing the last 2 seasons.

Another interesting impact of his retirement is the impact around RBs for organizations.  I remember a lot of hand wringing around not giving Murray a 4-5 year contract coming off his 2014 season.  Running backs, except for a rare few, get used up quickly.  The few organizations who draft a RB in the first round should take heed.  They get used up quickly.  Furthermore, it also builds the case RBs shouldn't be signed to huge second contracts as the marginal utility is low for guys around 30.  Even if you have to franchise a guy with a real contender, it builds the context where signing RBs long-term is folly.  It would be interesting to dig up the thread on the old forum to see how folks felt about singing Murray to a L-T contract and what it looked like.  There's more than few posters here who would may want to rethink their past opinions.  They will look rather foolish....

Remember this when Ezekial Elliot is up for a contact and I'm sure Texans' fans can let you know how Arian Foster's contract ended up (and it wasn't even terrible)...

nfl running backs are realizing that long term health is worth more than tens of millions.
More like millions of millions. From here on out only the elite will get a big 2nd contract and that will primarily come in the form of a franchise tag for 2 or 3 years after their rookie deal (like what Le'veon Bell is dealing with now).

19 hours ago, Sandman said:

I don't know. My own internal scale (based on nothing but comparisons to other players over the years) was that 10 years is what I expect from an all-star player. I think 7 years is just fine, those guys don't owe us anything. I hope he made enough dough to live comfortably and he doesn't have any medical issues.

Earl played for about 10 years. It was too long. Usage rate and style of play can make a big difference.  Murray had a high usage rate and was a fairly physical runner. 

• Like 1

There were so many people pissed off when the Boys didn't sign him.  Best move.  For the most part these guys go on a downward spiral pretty fast. 
I was pissed, Jerry got damn lucky he landed Zeke..

Just hope he can give us a few more good seasons, his running style doesn't lead to a 10 year career.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Earl played for about 10 years. It was too long. Usage rate and style of play can make a big difference.  Murray had a high usage rate and was a fairly physical runner. 

I think moving forward, it will be common to see many pro football players playing anywhere from 7 years in total, to as little as a 4 year contract before ending their careers... Of course, as is I believe that you have to remain in the NFL for at least 7 years to receive full retirement benefits...

There were so many people pissed off when the Boys didn't sign him.  Best move.  For the most part these guys go on a downward spiral pretty fast. 
Zeke is going to command a second contract and I suspect a pretty big one relative to this position. Curious to see what Dallas does.