DeMarco Murray retires from football

Machinator

On 7/13/2018 at 7:55 PM, Sandman said:

I don't know. My own internal scale (based on nothing but comparisons to other players over the years) was that 10 years is what I expect from an all-star player. I think 7 years is just fine, those guys don't owe us anything. I hope he made enough dough to live comfortably and he doesn't have any medical issues.

For RBs it depends on touches.  Once they hit 1,800 carries, be that in year 10 or year 4, it all starts going downhill.  

7 hours ago, kopp0e said:

I think moving forward, it will be common to see many pro football players playing anywhere from 7 years in total, to as little as a 4 year contract before ending their careers... Of course, as is I believe that you have to remain in the NFL for at least 7 years to receive full retirement benefits...

I’ve always heard 5 years, but that might’ve beeen partial, not full. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

52 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

A former teammate in high school, eventually played for the Giants & Texans, retired after 7 years, I believe it's with full benefits...

14 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Yeah, I thought so too, but it may be a bit of a sliding scale   I couldn't find the actual, but I did find this article that lays out a lot of the details.  It seems you need four credited seasons for full benefits (where credited is three games in a season), but some benefits increase the more you seasons you have.   Reading through this seems the life to have is a punter.  The pension is $660 per month per year in the league, so someone plugging 20 years is making $150k a year in pension benefits.

An Overview of NFL Player Benefits

The key term for determining eligibility and corresponding benefit amounts under the post-career financial plan is “credited season.”  Under the CBA, a credited season is defined as any season in which a player is on (i) the active roster, (ii) inactive list, (iii) injured reserve or (iv) physically unable to perform – football list for at least three regular season or post-season games.  (For comparison, please note that for purposes of determining eligibility for free agency, the relevant term is “accrued season,” or a season in which a player is on one of the aforementioned lists for at least six regular season games.)  The post-career financial plan is comprised of the following four categories: (i) Severance Pay Plan, (ii) NFL Player Annuity Program, (iii) NFL Player Second Career Savings Plan and (iv) Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Retirement Plan. 

Under the Severance Pay Plan, if a player is released by a team and has two or more credited seasons in the league, he will receive termination pay of $20,000 per credited season.  Under the NFL Player Annuity Program, a player with four or more credited seasons in the league is eligible to receive a $80,000 annuity program contribution from which he can begin receiving annual distributions at the age of 35, or five years after his last credited season in the league (whichever is later).  Under the NFL Player Second Career Savings Plan, a player with at least two credited seasons in the league can contribute up to a maximum of $26,000 in pre-tax dollars per year to one of nine different investment funds and receive a matching team contribution of $2 for each $1 the player contributes to a plan (the team can contribute up to a maximum of $52,000 per year).  Upon retirement, the player will be able to withdraw money from this plan at the age of 45.  Under the Bert Bell/Pete Rozelle NFL Player Retirement Plan (or NFL pension plan), a player will earn a benefit credit of $660 for each credited season he has played in the league.  Upon retirement, the amount of money a player will receive each month at the age of 55 will be equal to the sum of all benefit credits earned (i.e., a player who retires with three credited seasons will receive a monthly payment of $1980 starting at the age of 55 -- $660 x 3 credited seasons).

On 7/13/2018 at 4:40 PM, joeycovers said:

Titans waived Murray  months ago and signed Dion Lewis since.  If you play in a pay league can i join?

It's the middle of fucking summer, i got time. And i do play in a pay league. Glad you think Dion Lewis is gonna get the ball on anything other than 3rd down. 

9 minutes ago, BERT said:

It's the middle of fucking summer, i got time. And i do play in a pay league. Glad you think Dion Lewis is gonna get the ball on anything other than 3rd down. 

Lewis/Henry/Murray last year all had almost identical rushing stats. If you think Lewis and Henry are not gonna split "touches" then i guess we will agree to disagree. 

Just now, joeycovers said:

Lewis/Henry/Murray last year all had almost identical rushing stats. If you think Lewis and Henry are not gonna split "touches" then i guess we will agree to disagree. 

Fair enough. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2018 at 11:29 PM, Hurtlocker said:

For RBs it depends on touches.  Once they hit 1,800 carries, be that in year 10 or year 4, it all starts going downhill.  

1800 carries is an incredibly high bar though.  There are 57 players in history that have more than 1700 career rushing attempts, and only 40 with over 2000.  Of the 40 with over 2000 attempts, 15 are in the Hall of Fame and 6 were  active last season (Frank Gore, Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Marshawn Lynch, LeSean McCoy, Chris Johnson).  

8 hours ago, bejezuz said:

1800 carries is an incredibly high bar though.  There are 57 players in history that have more than 1700 career rushing attempts, and only 40 with over 2000.  Of the 40 with over 2000 attempts, 15 are in the Hall of Fame and 6 were  active last season (Frank Gore, Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Marshawn Lynch, LeSean McCoy, Chris Johnson).  

I think we're talking about different things, and I kind of cross pollinated my words by accident, but I meant touches.   Murray is 64th all time in touches at 1,913.  Emmitt leads the list with 4,924.

Age is probably the biggest aspect as after 28, backs just are not good.   I saw another anecdotal study I thought was interesting that when a back has more than 370 carries in a single season, bad things start to happen.   

• 2 weeks later...