Bernie Sanders 2020 Watch

Dropout

If the people who are mobilizing for Bernie right now actually show up in the primaries and caucuses, Bernie will roll through like a freight train. So many of those energized for him right now fit the non-voter profile that the polls discount. But if they don't show up, he loses. His entire thing is predicated on the disenfranchised rising up to get involved, which is a massive risk.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

If the people who are mobilizing for Bernie right now actually show up in the primaries and caucuses, Bernie will roll through like a freight train. So many of those energized for him right now fit the non-voter profile that the polls discount. But if they don't show up, he loses. His entire thing is predicated on the disenfranchised rising up to get involved, which is a massive risk.

I've seen a lot of tweets suggesting his team is doing amazing work on the ground in Iowa and it's not reflected at all in the polling, the very first primary will tell us exactly how he'll do. I can't make it, but he's having a rally at Morehouse tomorrow since the debate is here in Atlanta. Going to be very curious to see how many people show up to his vs. Warren's at Spelman.

Edited by GSU&UT

6 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I gotta ask because it’s eating me up but why are the olds so anti-Bernie? 

Because they watch MSNBC and CNN 18 hours a day.

In its August and September coverage, by total mentions, MSNBC talked about Biden twice as often as Warren and three times as often as Sanders. By number of episodes, 64% of the 240 episodes discussed Biden, 43% discussed Warren and 36% discussed Sanders. A quarter of the episodes only discussed Biden, compared to 5% and 1% that mentioned only Warren or Sanders, respectively.

Of the three candidates, Sanders was least likely to be mentioned positively (12.9% of his mentions) and most likely to be mentioned negatively (20.7%). The remaining two-thirds of his mentions were neutral . . . Warren had the lowest proportion of negative coverage of all three candidates (just 7.9% of all her mentions) and the highest proportion of position mentions (30.6%).

http://inthesetimes.com/features/msnbc-bernie-sanders-coverage-democratic-primary-media-analysis.html

• Like 2

1 minute ago, GSU&UT said:

Bernie had an awesome rally at Morehouse, but I didn't get a good shot of how big the audience was. Hope like hell he can turnout some serious numbers with young people in the primary in my here.

Looks like the area was full of people. Needs to book bigger areas/venues.

Was Killer Mike there? He went to Morehouse, I think.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Bernie has always been “not as liberal as you might think on immigration.”  It’s one of those areas where he’s been remarkably mainstream. 

This did piss me off, I wasn't expecting him for calling for it's abolishment but was hoping he'd have stronger words. That said, I don't think any major candidate has said they'd abolish ICE.

This is how Bernie deals with people melting down and shouting, interrupting BS in his face.

None of the other Top 3 are used to being challenged aggressively and none of them react well to it when it happens. Bernie's had people taking mile-high dumps on him for decades as he fights the establishment powers everywhere he goes.

He's the toughest candidate by far.

• Like 1

Not sure why this isn't a bigger issue this presidential cycle, if you've ever heard of the story of how Chattanooga created super cheap gigabit (generally free wifi gigabit is available in most of the city) through it's public utility then you know how much this could help so many people.

• Like 1

Just read the actual plan and, unsurprisingly, it rules.

- $150B in grants for municipalities to build their own, publicly owned and democratically controlled* broadband
- Grants conditioned on providing union jobs* with no sub-contractors*
- Grants conditioned on universal access*, speed guarantees, and subsidies for the working/poor
- Prioritize rural network access (last-mile focus)
- $7.5B specifically for the Indian communities (Liz, not Mindy)
- Require all ISPs to provide cheap/affordable 100MB down/10MB up everywhere
- Eliminate data caps and throttling*
- Break up major ISPs
- Make broadband subject to Common Carrier rules*
- Reverse OTMR, an anti-union thing that sucks but I only know vaguely about
- Fiber built in with all new roads

* - denotes every time I busted reading this

• Like 2