Bernie Sanders 2020 Watch

Dropout

Best call streak in Iowa yet for me. Got some volunteers to sign up, had a guy start reading his CC# to me over the phone while I shouted "No, sir, wait!" over and over.

One lady thanked me for calling and answering her question about caucus day/process and said Klobuchar was her #1 and Pete was her #2.

Whenever someone says "Trump" when I ask who they prefer in the Dem primary I always say, "Thanks, how about your second choice?" for fun. I get a laugh from them for playing along or sometimes. Two guys today actually answered it seriously. One said Bloomberg and the other said "the billionaire" and laughed and hung up when I asked "Which one?"

Bernie is the most common candidate for #1. Most common answer is undecided.

A ton of non-answers and hangups of course. Love the "aj jeez" hangups once they realize you're calling about the election.

• Like 3

Yes

1) A ton of people in Iowa still aren't paying attention and won't until the days and hours leading up to caucus time
2) A ton of those who are paying attention are still undecided and waiting to hear from candidates

A lot of those "oh god not another one of these calls" people are actively avoiding politics but will end up caucusing. They will make their decisions at the last second and those decisions will be based on stuff as simple as the last person they talked to.

What mitigates Bernie's damage, of course, is his movement. I actually don't expect AOC to be pounding the pavement constantly. I think it's primarily going to be volunteers and lower-level staffers keeping it up.

Sanders has been doing Twitch streams where he talks to a few thousand viewers, and I hope he pushes the livestreaming from DC to a higher level while he's gone.

But yeah, it's not ideal.

• Like 1

I'm just going to be livid if Pete and Biden get a noticeable boost come Feb 3rd because of this. I really really hope his strategy of going at disenfranchised and first-time voters (that don't show up in polling numbers) is going to pay off.

• Like 1

I've also been phonebanking for Bernie, getting some pretty good results so far. The main problem I run into is when a woman answers the phone and I tell her to go get her husband because I need to speak to him about the election and then she starts mouthing off and I just hang up. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Primila Jayapal rules

She's got a Medicare 4 All bill in the House that is actually slightly more aggressive than Bernie's Senate bill.

Look at that slick motherfucker. Just gaslighting all these dumb broads into endorsing him. I heard he promised her a seat in his cabinet and then after she endorsed him he told her he calls his dick "cabinet" and then high fived all his bros. 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

I wonder if the bullshit he doesn't tolerate includes so-called journalists more worried about their social circles than hard news?

No one seriously thought THE Establishment Newspaper of record would endorse Sanders. Make you wonder if the editorial board of the NYT would endorse Bernie over Trump. I think they would just sit out in a Bernie v. Trump election. 

Their world has passed into the history books. It passed in the 90's. It exists as a newspaper as nostalgia. It is too bad, because this country at one time had a robust newspaper industry. But the world evolved away from newspapers. Its paywall was the final nail in its coffin as an influencer. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Yes, he was absolutely talking about them to their faces, and it's beautiful.

He's hated the NYT for decades. And it's mutual.

It is certainly mutual. Why do they hate human progress so much?  Protection of the status quo?  I guess when you are the NYT, change that might upset that balance of power must frighten them. 

They are reactionary (editorial board). Resistant to change, even if it might help millions in this nation and the world. The Republicans calling them liberal is a big part of the problem. It's a lie. That lie makes their agenda seem humanistic, when it is not. 

Watching this now from the beginning. There's a panel on before he comes out, I'm sure other candidates have and continue to do similar things at rallies but you really see how much real support he has when he has a diverse group of people on stage in freaking Des Moines speaking out in favor of him.

Bernie is rolling. Glad to see all the women sounding off on their support for him. That makes the sexist narrative look silly (because it is). 

Katie Halper has been loud from the journalism side of things. Check out her podcasts with Matt Taibbi and her stand alone one. 

And remember - the target of oppo efforts are bernie supporters. Be aware.

Edited by washparkhorn

59 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Watching this now from the beginning. There's a panel on before he comes out, I'm sure other candidates have and continue to do similar things at rallies but you really see how much real support he has when he has a diverse group of people on stage in freaking Des Moines speaking out in favor of him.

As usual, Nina Turner fucking rules.

That jacket is cool as hell. Obviously a middle finger at Melania's "I really don't care" coat.

JFC, I definitely agree with you B_T (I think you may have said it or I heard it on Chapo) that you never apologize for this shit because it always works against you. Bernie has no reason to apologize for this shit, in NO fucking way are any people upset about this op-ed possible Bernie voters.

24 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Bernie lied about the Warren thing, easily guilty by his prolific defensive statements. Trying to discourage Liz from running, back in 2018, but no one died when Bernie lied.

Dumb attack by Warren's campaign. Elizabeth needs to clean house. I know her heart is in the right place. 

Never apologize for something you don't need to apologize for. And if you need to, apologize in private to the offended party.

Doing it as a PR move is bad. It doesn't work.

Biden has a corruption problem. Zephyr Teachout was right about what she said, and Bernie is too nice.

However, Bernie is ahead in Iowa so going that hard at #2 is bad strategy. Attack the SS and bankruptcy record on policy terms, not true corruption accusations. Don't use that word as Bernie goes in to be part of an impeachment trial.

Also, lol @ this mean girl shit

• Like 1

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/21/politics/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-documentary/index.html

Hillary Clinton blasts Sen. Bernie Sanders in a new documentary, saying "nobody likes him" and telling The Hollywood Reporter that she won't commit to endorsing and campaigning for him if he's the Democratic 2020 nominee.

spacer.png