Bernie Sanders 2020 Watch

Dropout

21 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Smart move on AOC’s part.  Endorse Sanders in the primary, Warren in the general.  No bridges burned.

Was hoping you'd have a bigger meltdown.

Not surprising but Tlaib and Omar are going to endorse him, but they've been much more vocal about supporting him this past year, at least on Twitter.

Edited by GSU&UT

Back to Ilhan's endorsement, for those of us who realize that real change is going to require an entire movement nationwide of new representatives and new voters, you really should listen to the personal testimony of these young women of color who got involved because they were inspired specifically by Bernie Sanders's courage and message.

No one is getting anything meaningful done without a movement. Pharma/insurance are going to fight any medical insurance/drug pricing reform with hundreds of millions of dollars in lobbying and attacks. If you think a public option is just going to go in without a fight you're fucking delusional. Wall Street is going to spend as much or more to fight all regulation and taxation.

There is ONE candidate who has proven that he can build a movement and that he can inspire exactly the people we need to not only vote, but to volunteer, and to run for office.

In Joe's 50 years of public service, he hasn't inspired as many meaningful candidates and Congresspeople as Bernie has in the last 3 years.

In Liz's 70 years, she hasn't built anything noticeable or been party of any kind of social justice movement.

There is one great candidate, a good candidate, and a bunch of options that don't have a hope in hell of inspiring the mass movement that they need.

A couple of weeks ago Hugo gave me an honest answer on why he thought Obama was the best President in his lifetime. I appreciated his response, because I was curious.

So now, B_T, I'm curious where you are from? Did you grow up in Texas and get your degree from UT? If so, what was your degree in? If you grew up in Texas, where?

A key to understanding the media hatred of Bernie is to understand how much the NY/DC media class has entwined itself with the DC political class.

A political revolution that leads to DC being run by millions and millions of activated working class people disrupts the power structure that they have built for themselves. Their current patterns can easily survive a Trump 2nd term, but they are profoundly threatened by a Sanders administration that strips the DNC and its various appendages of power. The centrist part of the party would rather lose the election but keep its control over the party than win the election and lose its control over the party.

This is the fight, and Bernie knows it. And AOC knows it.

[edit]

THE DEBATE OVER the fate of Obama for America, Obama’s campaign arm, goes back to 2008, when Obama adjudicated an internal dispute within his operation by mothballing the organization and folding it under the auspices of the Democratic National Committee, which itself was forbidden from pressuring Democrats to push Obama’s agenda. Some in his orbit argued that Obama’s insider approach to the presidency needed to be complemented by robust outside pressure from grassroots organizers. But Obama believed that he and his team, led by Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel, would be able to work more effectively with moderates and Republicans if grassroots activists weren’t pressuring them from the outside. That turned out not to be the case. 

This is what the party insiders and power-players believe Warren will do and Sanders won't.

Edited by bad_teammate

If I recall the article correctly (and I'm too lazy to check this morning), Romney called him a 'curmudgeon.' So, Sanders is a curmudgeon and Warren is a scold. I don't mind those labels at all. We the People as citizens have been in an excessive free fall of neglecting our duty to both the Republic and to each other as Americans. If that takes those two candidates reminding us that, I am on board.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about this author, but this Twitter thread pretty much captures my view on Bernie.  I just don't buy his theory of change within our system. I wouldn't go so far as to say that he needs to win the primary for me to support him, as that is sort of circular, but he needs to really get some serious momentum for me to consider it.   The bottom line is that I think Warren could govern well with a coalition of support from various parts of the Dem party, even with the level of apathy that our citizenry typically has. I don't believe that Bernie can; his own rhetoric presupposes an involved, enthusiastic majority for his policies.   If that exists, the proof will be in the pudding during the campaign itself, and his failure to launch so far in this cycle suggests to me that it doesn't exist. 

Sure, it's a gamble, but it's the only clear vision of a path offered by any candidate to getting change to happen. Who else even has a vision for that?

Zero Democratic candidates are going to sway McConnell off his path if we don't take the Senate. None of them. The only way to beat Mitch is to take his power by winning the Senate. And then, you have to have a president who will keep the pressure on the newly-elected Democratic Senate majority to actually put progressive change in place.

How does President Pete get Joe Lieberman to allow the public option? How does President Warren? Shouting "PLANS" over and over again at a news conference? Calming, soothing rhetoric and a charming smile? What if we had had a president who went to Joe's home district and led 15,000 marchers to his office to demand a yes vote for a public option? How many Americans have died because Obama was too concerned about decorum and norms to put relentless pressure on those within his party who stood in his way?

It might not work, but at least it's a plan.

As for the validity of the theory of a massive non-voter turnout...

18-29yo participation went from 20% in the 2015 midterm to 36% in the 2018 midterm.
30-44yo went from 36% to 49%
Metro area voters (+12) went up more than rural voters (+8).

Bernie does very well with these groups. VERY well.

Edited by bad_teammate