Bernie Sanders 2020 Watch

Dropout

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I am seeing a whole lot of old Bernie videos being pushed about him defefending Castro,  Nicaragua, etc.  

I know it’s mostly out of context bullshit but just reporting this is going around.

Two points that reinforce how awesome Bernie is and always has been. Anti-imperialism isn't some bullshit he got focus-grouped into, he (rightly) supported the Sandanistas and Fidel wasn't some kind of Hitler evil figure. 

I'd be interested in seeing the links. Red baiting will absolutely not work. No fear.

• Like 1

1st Video: Yeah, the Sandanistas were highly worthy of support. Reagan was an absolute monster and piece of shit and a liar. What we did to Nicaragua was criminal. We facilitated mass murder there as a policy and it was disgusting.

It's going to be a wild 2 years watching the Democrats express their fandom for the blood-soaked Latin America policy of Ronald Reagan and the ghouls underneath him like Elliot Abrams.

It was cool to scroll through the timeline of the guy you're signal-boosting, though.

2nd Video: I have no idea what the problem here is. Can someone tell me? (Again, your sourcing is amazing.)

3rd Video: ... what? He's a Jewish guy who played a Jewish character in a movie. 

4th Video: Milosevic was literally genocidal. I'm not sure what the argument here is... something? What? The use of depleted uranium is terrible, but I don't think that was a key feature of anyone's support for the military intervention.

5th Video: ???

6th Video: "This Land is Your Land" is literally the best song ever written about America and it should be our national anthem.

Keep going, John Birch. Keep posting more insane right-wingers that you supposedly reject.

For context on Bernie's 1988 honeymoon, there was a detente program to establish sister cities. Burlington, VT, which Sanders was then mayor of, was (and still is) sister cities with Yaroslavl (which you hear Sanders reference in clip #2).

For those of you interested in the Red Scare tactics of lunatics that you'll be witnessing over the next couple of years.

14 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

For context on Bernie's 1988 honeymoon, there was a detente program to establish sister cities. Burlington, VT, which Sanders was then mayor of, was (and still is) sister cities with Yaroslavl (which you hear Sanders reference in clip #2).

For those of you interested in the Red Scare tactics of lunatics that you'll be witnessing over the next couple of years.

Active measures imo. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 4:42 PM, bad_teammate said:

What we did to Nicaragua was criminal.

This isn't even debatable as we have an ICJ judgment, which bore on that exact question, against us. What isn't discussed very much, however, is that what we did in Guatemala, El Salvador and even Honduras was far worse. But of course, this is the United States of us; the one country in the industrialized world which internally debates the existence of evolution and manmade climate change (and if you watch Fox and Friends, the germ theory of disease, apparently), so the Little Engines That Could easily come along and "re-open" this subject.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:42 PM, bad_teammate said:

It's going to be a wild 2 years watching the Democrats express their fandom for the blood-soaked Latin America policy of Ronald Reagan and the ghouls underneath him like Elliot Abrams.

That party really is a paradox. I remember watching a debate on the Nicaragua subject between Noam Chomsky and John Silber on YouTube about 10 years ago. Silber's positions were not only completely fraudulent, but they were also morally abhorrent. Then I looked him up and saw that he was a Democrat...and that was back when that party was a bit further to the left on the political spectrum than they are now.

Granny's crew still pissy.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/25/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-private-jet-flights-1182793

Ex-Clinton staffers slam Sanders over private jet flights

“I’m not shocked that while thousands of volunteers braved the heat and cold to knock on doors until their fingers bled in a desperate effort to stop Donald Trump, his Royal Majesty King Bernie Sanders would only deign to leave his plush D.C. office or his brand new second home on the lake if he was flown around on a cushy private jet like a billionaire master of the universe,” said Zac Petkanas, who was the director of rapid response for the Clinton campaign.

In 2016, after Sanders endorsed Clinton and agreed to campaign on her behalf, the Sanders campaign’s preferred mode of travel quickly emerged as a point of tension, according to six former Clinton campaign staffers and another source familiar with the travel.

Those who had worked on his primary campaign made it known that the only logistical way Sanders could adhere to the event schedules requested by the Clinton campaign was by flying private. The Clinton campaign, however, viewed the private jet flights as a needless extravagance and wanted the senator to mostly fly commercial.

The senator ended up flying private on three separate multi-day trips in the last two months of the campaign.

Sanders’ flights — usually on a Gulfstream plane — cost the Clinton-Kaine campaign at least $100,000 in total, according to three people familiar with the cost of the air travel.

“We would try to fight it as much as possible because of cost and availability of planes, but they would request [a jet] every time,” one of those sources said. “We would always try to push for commercial. ... At the campaign, you’re constantly trying to save like 25 cents.”

Prior to working out the logistics of Sanders’ travel, “our working assumption was that 90 percent of the time it would be commercial,” said another person familiar with the matter. “If he was trying to hop from city to city in a particular state and [commercial] didn’t work, we were open to” chartering a plane.

But that idea did not go over well with the Sanders camp, according to this person.

“At that time, getting him on board — no pun intended —and his followers engaged for her, was a big priority,” said one former Clinton staffer, who explained that campaign leadership, including campaign manager Robby Mook, decided it was something Sanders wouldn’t budge on, so the campaign approved the requests to keep peace with the senator.

From the article...
In the final three months before Election Day 2016, Sanders held 39 rallies in 13 states on behalf of Clinton’s campaign, according to Jones, including 17 events in 11 states in the last week alone.

The Clintons and their acolytes are garbage humans.

Doesn't matter, though, because we are going to win.

Edited by bad_teammate

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Bernie is at...

- Over $10M raised (first week isn't over)
- 359k+ individual donors
- 12k registered Republicans (centrist Dem heads fukken EXPLODE)
- 39% of donations from new e-mails (not 2016 repeats... like me)

Meh.  Whatever.  I’m confident the Dems will railroad him and look out for corporate America with someone more centrist.   I like your enthusiasm though.  

• Like 1

What is Bernies beef with the fossil fuel industry?  Isn't he woke?  Its the johns who are the bad guys, not the slaves.  And the johns in this case are every energy user in the USA (and the  world).  Poor roughnecks and PE's are the slaves.  We'll exclude the Hamms of the world from this pretty allegory. 

No one is perfect, I'm ok with Bernie.  Seriously, getting usage down is the key, that will directly and quickly reduce production.  

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Maybe he's the one to get behind and it's the lady cops and beto's of the world who are going to screw HIM over. Ever thought of it that way?

Not like it hasn’t happened his whole political career or anything...

On 7/13/2018 at 5:41 PM, longhornmatt said:

He would have been right about Iraq.  That would have nice if he were President for a day in 2002.  Meanwhile, virtually everything he says about fiscal policy is either vague platitudes or outright unrealistic nonsense, such that his supporters have to say what Trump supporters say about Trump: “I don’t have any numbers in front me or know how what he’s saying will work in practice, but I trust the man!”

Rereading the first pages of this thread... this was a good one. So the argument you’re going with is Bernie would have done more for this country in a day than pretty much anyone else. Then you go on to doubt what he would accomplish with the rest of his policy during this imaginary term. I’m legitimately interested on how you reach this rationale.

And the numbers! Won’t someone think of the man made constructs that control our lives! Nevermind the health or education of human beings. Nevermind the planet we live on. Let’s talk numbers. Well they’re here in this thread.

Edited by Dropout

20 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Granny's crew still pissy.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/25/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-private-jet-flights-1182793

Ex-Clinton staffers slam Sanders over private jet flights

“I’m not shocked that while thousands of volunteers braved the heat and cold to knock on doors until their fingers bled in a desperate effort to stop Donald Trump, his Royal Majesty King Bernie Sanders would only deign to leave his plush D.C. office or his brand new second home on the lake if he was flown around on a cushy private jet like a billionaire master of the universe,” said Zac Petkanas, who was the director of rapid response for the Clinton campaign.

In 2016, after Sanders endorsed Clinton and agreed to campaign on her behalf, the Sanders campaign’s preferred mode of travel quickly emerged as a point of tension, according to six former Clinton campaign staffers and another source familiar with the travel.

Those who had worked on his primary campaign made it known that the only logistical way Sanders could adhere to the event schedules requested by the Clinton campaign was by flying private. The Clinton campaign, however, viewed the private jet flights as a needless extravagance and wanted the senator to mostly fly commercial.

The senator ended up flying private on three separate multi-day trips in the last two months of the campaign.

Sanders’ flights — usually on a Gulfstream plane — cost the Clinton-Kaine campaign at least $100,000 in total, according to three people familiar with the cost of the air travel.

“We would try to fight it as much as possible because of cost and availability of planes, but they would request [a jet] every time,” one of those sources said. “We would always try to push for commercial. ... At the campaign, you’re constantly trying to save like 25 cents.”

Prior to working out the logistics of Sanders’ travel, “our working assumption was that 90 percent of the time it would be commercial,” said another person familiar with the matter. “If he was trying to hop from city to city in a particular state and [commercial] didn’t work, we were open to” chartering a plane.

But that idea did not go over well with the Sanders camp, according to this person.

“At that time, getting him on board — no pun intended —and his followers engaged for her, was a big priority,” said one former Clinton staffer, who explained that campaign leadership, including campaign manager Robby Mook, decided it was something Sanders wouldn’t budge on, so the campaign approved the requests to keep peace with the senator.

The Hillary faction of the Democratic Party is a cancer that needs to be completely removed. 

8 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The Hillary faction of the Democratic Party is a cancer that needs to be completely removed. 

Same could be said of the Bernie faction that wants to stand on the shoulders of the Democratic Party only to subvert it. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

6 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Subverting the establishment and centrist elites sounds good to me. The Democratic Party is breaking before our eyes and will rebuild into something much better. 

Or maybe try to persuade those within the party to your side and unite to work together to form a more perfect union?  

This is my biggest hang up with Bernie and his supporters, they shit all over democrats they don’t like and end up helping elect republicans.   They aren’t much better than Trumpers.   It’s why I appreciate Warren’s style of politics much more than Bernard’s.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Uh, Sanders campaigned his ass off for Hillary.  And now her clan is talking shit about his mode of transportation? Who's not working together?

Sanders kept his shtick going all the way up to the convention when he was already soundly defeated.  That sure as shit didn’t help. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The world is changing quickly. Some people can't keep up. That includes the establishment/centrist faction of the Democratic Party. They can either get on board or fight to keep themselves in power. 

They've decided to fight. Fuck'em. 

We can put that on America’s tombstone when Trump is re-elected.

11 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We can put that on America’s tombstone when Trump is re-elected.

Giving up so easily? We are trying to persuade... using different methods to try and get through. No one is shitting on anyone just making points the way we see it.

Everyone should understand Bernie is center now right. You can barely call him a progressive today. The labels need to shift left. The majority of Americans agree w Bernie on a wide range of issues. His ideals are the center as far as the people are concerned. Point being it’s your ideas of what the government should be that are outdated. You are the minority. The old centrist democrats and obv republicans are the ones fighting the momentum of the people. Stop fooling yourself thinking it’s the other way around. 

• Like 2

And FYI, I'm not a diehard Bernie supporter.  Right now my preference is 

1. Buttigieg

2. Warren

3. Sanders 

But Bernie's voice is crucial and important. Hillary believed in nothing, and I'm not going to coddle her supporters and tone down the rhetoric to Democrats that just want to return to some status quo. Eyes forward. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We disagree here.  Going far left won’t help.  Especially if Trump can keep the economy on the tracks.  

Dem 2020 policy positions can be left, just cannot be absurd. Pubs will portray them as far left regardless.

But they must present positions that give activists reason to be excited, and the 2-3% who are real swing voters (whether it's from one party to the other, or from non-voter to voter) reason to listen. Dems have to convince people their lives really could change for the better. That probably means at least a riff or three off of things you would consider far left.