Guys everyone should like, and if you don't, you're a terrible person

Beau Vine

As a super biased Mariners fan, I would say Felix is still pretty darn likeable.  And yeah, if Ichiro is anywhere in disguise then him too.

Agree with all Spy's picks on Brewers.  Lots of likeable folks on that team with the exception, of course, of Braun.

Hard to pick just one for the Rays.  Would add Kiermaier and Ramos

Dodgers = Kemp and Puig

Phillies = Hernandez

Edited by MC Fresh Breath

Lol at David Ortiz not being liked by other players.  He is one of the most beloved players of the last 15 years by his peers.  

My list of players would be completely biased towards guys who play the game the way it was meant to be played.  Guys like Pedrioa, Altuve, Trout, Votto, Freeman, Kershaw, etc.

As a super biased Mariners fan, I would say Felix is still pretty darn likeable.  And yeah, if Ichiro is anywhere in disguise then him too.
Agree with all Spy's picks on Brewers.  Lots of likeable folks on that team with the exception, of course, of Braun.
Hard to pick just one for the Rays.  Would add Kiermaier and Ramos
Dodgers = Kemp and Puig
Phillies = Hernandez

Puig is pretty polarizing. Not universally loved.

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Fuck the Braves and Sid Bream!

Lol 18 years ago I went to my great grandfather’s funeral in Mt. Holly, PA or something like that. On the welcome to town sign, it said home of sid bream.  I laughed at bream being on the sign, and also that he’s from Pennsylvania. Though SE PA is Phillies turf I’m sure so maybe it didn’t break his heart to beat that throw home. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

sure, if you're a terrible person.

Well just for starters, even half of Braves fans hate Chipper.  Douchebag extrordinaire. 

Brandon Phillips... why would anyone give a shit one way or the other?  Not saying his isn’t likeable, but top on his team or as your list suggests top on his team all time?  

Papi?  Gets a free pass on PED and he’s likeable? 

Surprised you didn’t try to fit Ryne Sandberg and Shawon Dunston in there some how, hey that Leon Durham was pretty damn likeable.  Maybe they played while your cable network only had WTBS and no WGN?

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Well just for starters, even half of Braves fans hate Chipper.  Douchebag extrordinaire. 

Brandon Phillips... why would anyone give a shit one way or the other?  Not saying his isn’t likeable, but top on his team or as your list suggests top on his team all time?  

Papi?  Gets a free pass on PED and he’s likeable? 

Surprised you didn’t try to fit Ryne Sandberg and Shawon Dunston in there some how, hey that Leon Durham was pretty damn likeable.  Maybe they played while your cable network only had WTBS and no WGN?

Brandon Phillips is leader of fan friendly, social media active players. Everybody loves Dat Dude. The guy is famous for his smile and for interacting with fans of both the Reds and opposing teams alike. He's one of the first guys who came to mind. He was also a walking web gem in his prime.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/brandon-phillips-reds-heckler-drunk-guy/amp

Yeah, again, if you don't like Papi, or worse, don't even think he's likeable, there's something wrong with you.

Edited by Goo Punch

Just now, Goo Punch said:

Brandon Phillips is leader of fan friendly, social media active players. Everybody loves Dat Dude. The guy is famous for his smile and for interacting with fans of both the Reds and opposing fans alike. He's one of the first guys who came to mind. He was also a walking web gem in his prime.

Yeah, again, if you don't like Papi, or worse, don't even think he's likeable, there's something wrong with you.

Didn’t realize social media presence was the criteria for this thread, you got me on that one as I give zero shits about that stupid crap. I don’t like Papi and there are more than a few others that don’t as well so he’s not the most likeable guy when Betts is the kind of guy everyone likes.  Stick to the point of the thread.

Just now, Fudge Nuggets said:

Didn’t realize social media presence was the criteria for this thread, you got me on that one as I give zero shits about that stupid crap. I don’t like Papi and there are more than a few others that don’t as well so he’s not the most likeable guy when Betts is the kind of guy everyone likes.  Stick to the point of the thread.

Cincinnati Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips loves interacting with fans. Every game, Phillips takes photos with fans and retweets them on his Twitter account. He’s also not afraid to call you out for heckling.

During Wednesday’s rain-delayed Reds-Pirates game in Pittsburgh, one very loud Pirates fan showered Phillips with jeers from the first-base line. In response, Phillips signed a baseball with a special message.

gram

Instagram/Datdudebp

“Dear Drunk Guy, thank you 4 all the love & support!! Now take this ball and shut the [expletive] up!!

From yours truly,

Brandon Phillips”

A photo of the ball quickly went viral on Reddit.

heckler

Via Imgur

Phillips even posed for a photo with the fan.

Via @datdudebp
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Stick to the point of the thread.

ooh, he mad.

also, you're a terrible person if you don't like papi, so no worries there. and you don't need to be on social media to know about brandon phillips and his interactions with fans, you just have to have watched baseball during the past 5 years.

Edited by Goo Punch

15 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Cincinnati Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips loves interacting with fans. Every game, Phillips takes photos with fans and retweets them on his Twitter account. He’s also not afraid to call you out for heckling.

During Wednesday’s rain-delayed Reds-Pirates game in Pittsburgh, one very loud Pirates fan showered Phillips with jeers from the first-base line. In response, Phillips signed a baseball with a special message.

gram

Instagram/Datdudebp

“Dear Drunk Guy, thank you 4 all the love & support!! Now take this ball and shut the [expletive] up!!

From yours truly,

Brandon Phillips”

A photo of the ball quickly went viral on Reddit.

heckler

Via Imgur

Phillips even posed for a photo with the fan.

Via @datdudebp

Dude in the back has to be from West Virgpennsyltucky. 

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Because your picks have nothing to do with the thread.  A lot of your picks don’t even play today.  Get a clue fatso.

You're seriously the shittiest poster in the baseball forum.

You're taking completely unwarranted personal shots at Derka, who has turned into a completely solid poster over the last several months?

You are really pathetic.  

4 hours ago, Simon Honeybone said:

When you read about how Didi goes home every off-season and trains at his mom's house it is hard not to really want that guy to be successful. I may loathe his employer but I always want him to do well for them regardless. 

Jose Ramirez alert!!!!

Similar thing for him. I remember predicting his slow start this season after watching his instagram videos all summer. dude was in the DR running on poorly paved roads, hanging out on a farm chasing chickens and shit. I remember him hitting a tractor tire with an aluminum bat over and over. he was running hills near a beach with some dudes who look like they've never left the island. it was both endearing and a sign that he *might* not be ready for live pitching right away.

Cardinal fan here (yeah, fuck all of you), so I'm going to stick with the NL Central.

Cubs: Anthony Rizzo with an honorable mention to Addison Russell for the nacho incident.
Reds: Joey Votto
Brewers: Christian Yelich
Pirates: Jameson Taillon

It was a little difficult for me to come up with one for the Pirates with McCutchen no longer there.  He killed the Cardinals, but just seems like a really good dude.  But Taillon did an interview on the big sports radio station here in STL during one of their trips here this year.  He talked about being diagnosed with cancer and really wants to spread the word to get checked.  Really solid guy.

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

You're seriously the shittiest poster in the baseball forum.

You're taking completely unwarranted personal shots at Derka, who has turned into a completely solid poster over the last several months?

You are really pathetic.  

That's an incredibly low bar....

OK seriously though for the Marlins I would say Cam Maybin...and not because he was on the Stros last year.  He does a shit ton of community work (I'm sure a lot of these dudes do as well) . 

"Even before being claimed off waivers by the Astros on Thursday, Maybin - through his charity The Maybin Mission - had started arranging a relief suppy drive (for Hurricane Harvey victims) in his hometown of Asheville, N.C."

From a couple years ago when he was starting his group:

The Maybin Mission is still in its early stages, but the message is clear. According to its official website, Maybin’s foundation “focuses on enriching the lives of inner city youth.”  The site also states  that “through positive play, education and cultural programming, the Maybins are dedicated to impacting the communities in which they live and serve.”

Edited by Scraps

Oh and to add to it the Angels nominated him for the Roberto Clemente award last year even after he wasn't on the team any longer (maybe because all their players suck though I don't know): 

Major League Baseball today announced that Cameron Maybin was named the Angels 2017 nominee for the prestigious Roberto Clemente Award, the most prominent individual player award bestowed by MLB.

The Roberto Clemente Award is the annual recognition of a player from each MLB Club who best represents the game of Baseball through extraordinary character, community involvement, philanthropy and positive contributions, both on and off the field.

RC dayEach Club nominates one current player to be considered for the Roberto Clemente Award in tribute to Clemente's achievements and character. Wednesday, September 6th marks the sixteenth annual Roberto Clemente Day, which was established by Major League Baseball to honor Clemente's legacy and to officially acknowledge local Club nominees of the Roberto Clemente Award. As part of the league-wide celebration, the Roberto Clemente Day logo will appear on the bases and official dugout lineup cards and a special tribute video will be played in ballparks.

Maybin is one of the 30 Club nominees for the annual award. During his time with the Angels, Cameron regularly supported the initiatives of the Angels Baseball Foundation, including visiting local elementary school students as part of the Adopt-A-School program. Cameron and his wife, Courtney, founded the Maybin Mission in 2016 which focuses on enriching the lives of inner city youth. Through positive play, education and cultural programming, the Maybins are dedicated to impacting the communities in which they live and serve. In April, Maybin hosted a Jackie Robinson inspired essay contest, which rewarded students who shared stories of overcoming obstacles with a special on-field experience. Additionally, Maybin supported the Sunburst Youth Academy, which helps at-risk high school students reclaim their lives while developing leadership, job skills, and academic skills, and improving self esteem, pride, and confidence.

The Angels will recognize Maybin for his nomination for the Roberto Clemente Award in a ceremony on September 14 before the Angels take on the Houston Astros. Maybin was awarded to the Astros on a waiver claim on August 31.

"In such a very short period of time, Cam made a tremendous impact within our community," said Angels Vice-President, Communications, Tim Mead. "At the outset of spring training, Cam stated he wanted to do whatever possible to assist our Community Relations department and organizational programs. He never wavered from that commitment and we remain grateful for his contributions."

He didn't win it....Anthony Rizzo took it home