Chelsea 2018-2019: Sarri, not sorry

RichUT

Miazga on loan to Nantes.

Chelsea and United States defender Matt Miazga is on his way to France to finalize a season-long loan move to Ligue 1 side Nantes, a source confirmed to ESPN FC.

If all goes as expected, including the completion of a medical, Miazga will spend the 2018-19 season with the Canaries.

Caen, who narrowly avoided relegation from Ligue 1 last season, had also been chasing Miazga, but the U.S. international ultimately decided to go with Nantes, who finished ninth in May.

Foot Mercato was the first to report the link between Miazga and Nantes, the former club of U.S. midfielder Alejandro Bedoya.

Miazga, 23, has officially been a Chelsea player since being transferred from the New York Red Bulls in January of 2016, though he has spent the last two seasons on loan with Dutch side Vitesse.

Miazga's spell in the Eredivisie saw him make 72 appearances in all competitions, scoring five goals. He also helped lead Vitesse to the 2017 KNVB Cup, the first major trophy in the club's history.

At international level, Miazga has increased his profile during the current calendar year, making seven appearances and scoring one goal.

The move to France should provide a valuable step in competition for Miazga as he looks to advance his career and cement his place in the U.S. starting lineup

Ok, so where is everyone’s head at regarding this season? As currently constructed, I think the ceiling is a 6th place finish. We’ve addressed almost none of our deficiencies, save for a solid signing in Jorginho. It seems like Sarri and the board plan to use this year to find out what we have with a lot of these young players. If so, I suppose I get it but I am concerned what 2 straight years without UCL football will do to the prestige of the club.

That kind of absence could impact both our ability to attract new players AND our ability to retain the elite players we have on the roster. Hazard will have one foot out the door with Courtois moving to Madrid anyway, and the sharks have already started to circle for Kanté.

Speaking of Courtois, I have no earthly idea what the board is thinking there. It’s painfully clear that he’s not signing an extension and wants to play football closer to his kids. They needed to lock up a top flight replacement this summer and at least salvage some of his value by way of a transfer fee. Total failure to get to this point by the board, and their apathy continues to negatively impact this club in material ways.

I’m sure Mo will be by shortly to admonish me for not thinking positive thoughts, but I’m tired of watching the board sit back and do nothing.

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

...Speaking of Courtois, I have no earthly idea what the board is thinking there. It’s painfully clear that he’s not signing an extension and wants to play football closer to his kids. They needed to lock up a top flight replacement this summer and at least salvage some of his value by way of a transfer fee. Total failure to get to this point by the board, and their apathy continues to negatively impact this club in material ways.

I’m sure Mo will be by shortly to admonish me for not thinking positive thoughts, but I’m tired of watching the board sit back and do nothing.

As an Argentina fan (turned Argentine), I can confirm that Willy Caballero sucks ass.

I don't think that Top 6 is a possibility with him in between the pipes.

19 hours ago, RichUT said:

Ok, so where is everyone’s head at regarding this season? As currently constructed, I think the ceiling is a 6th place finish. We’ve addressed almost none of our deficiencies, save for a solid signing in Jorginho. It seems like Sarri and the board plan to use this year to find out what we have with a lot of these young players. If so, I suppose I get it but I am concerned what 2 straight years without UCL football will do to the prestige of the club.

That kind of absence could impact both our ability to attract new players AND our ability to retain the elite players we have on the roster. Hazard will have one foot out the door with Courtois moving to Madrid anyway, and the sharks have already started to circle for Kanté.

Speaking of Courtois, I have no earthly idea what the board is thinking there. It’s painfully clear that he’s not signing an extension and wants to play football closer to his kids. They needed to lock up a top flight replacement this summer and at least salvage some of his value by way of a transfer fee. Total failure to get to this point by the board, and their apathy continues to negatively impact this club in material ways.

After last year's debacle, I'm with you.

On 8/5/2018 at 11:13 AM, RichUT said:

3 more days and I'll give it a shot.

I don't disagree with anything you've said.

Tbo looks to be going to RM and Kepa looks to be coming in for us.

Lots of smoke that we are bringing in Kovacic on loan from RM.  Don't love that it's a loan unless there is an option to buy.  

Hepa seems like a solid replacement for Courtois, but he's going to end up costing more than what Alisson cost Liverpool so it will be interesting to watch their relative performance in the EPL this season.  I still don't get why the board let things get to the point where we had to trigger his release clause 5 days prior to the season starting, but whatever.

Still feels like we need another central defender and an upgrade at LB, but neither of those appear imminent prior to the window closing.  

Lots of movement to happen. Latest rumors

Michy loan to Valencia
Tammy to stay
Piazon might stay or AC Milan loan
Baka AC Milan loan
Kalas loan Mbrough
Zouma being considered by Everton and Manure
Drinkwater might be headed back to LCFC
RLC, Ampadu and CHO latest are they stick with the squad.

Oh and Green is player of the year already.

Edited by MoJames

13 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Lots of movement to happen. Latest rumors

Michy loan to Valencia
Tammy to stay
Piazon might stay or AC Milan loan
Baka AC Milan loan
Kalas loan Mbrough
Zouma being considered by Everton and Manure
Drinkwater might be headed back to LCFC
RLC, Ampadu and CHO latest are they stick with the squad.

Oh and Green is player of the year already.

I want to see what Michy can do in Sarri's system before he gets shipped out.  Unfortunately, that can't happen.  

If Tammy stays, I hope he gets some good time in EFL and against easier EPL opponents.  Otherwise, it's a waste of a year where he really needs some time on the pitch.

I have no idea what to think about Zouma.  Others, I'm fine with.  

20 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I was thinking it was more "guys who just got back to camp" for a number of them.  

At the end of the Lyon game, Sarri subbed in Hazard, then did a complete back line change taking out Emerson, Christensen, Ampadu and Zappa for Alonso, Cahill, Rudiger and Dave.

That backline group had been in camp for a bit I believe outside of Cahill.  Hazard, Giroud, Kante, RLC and Cahill had just recently returned.

That's where Jorginho plays in Sarri's system. Deep lying midfielder who is the link up between the CBs and attacking players. He has deadly long ball accuracy that will hopefully unlock the likes of Hazard, Willian, etc. Kante will be a high pressing nightmare.

Quite a bit of chatter saying CHO and Pedro will start game 1 with the rest of the players still getting their legs as they have just returned from the World Cup (Hazard, Willian). The only player thought to play from the late players would be Kante.

Dfo031uXcAASdJt.jpg:large

I think we find out quite a bit in 2 days.  We are away to one of the teams predicted to be relegated.  Here's hoping even though I expect a sloppy game, we end up with 3 points to start the season.

We then get the gooners at home who are also under new management but have had more time to work on the transition than the we have. At least it is at home.

Then we get Newcastle away and Bournemouth and Cardiff at home.  If we are able to start hitting our stride at this point, we could be in a great position entering a 3 match run with pool, Southampton and manure.

From WAGNH on Homegrown status.

Looks like with the addition of Kovacic and Kepa we need to lose two. Bakayoko appears on his way to AC Milan.  Zouma on his way to Everton. Bats linked with Valencia. Other options would be Giroud, but it appears he is staying put. If all 3 go we could have a spot for Fekir in January, but if the 80mil price tag is accurate, no thanks.

If true that means we are in good standing. Also, it means RLC and Moses will stay which at this point we assumed would be the case.

HG/club-trained (4): Aina, Christensen, Loftus-Cheek, Musonda

HG/FA-trained (6): Barkley, Cahill, Drinkwater, Fàbregas, Green, Moses

non-HomeGrown (19): Alonso, Arrizabalaga, Azpilicueta, Bakayoko, Batshuayi, Caballero, David Luiz, Emerson, Giroud, Hazard, Jorginho, Kanté, Kovačić, Morata, Pedro, Rüdiger, Willian, Zappacosta, Zouma

Screen_Shot_2018_08_09_at_8.45.14_pm.png

Torino have surpassed Frosinone in the race for Ola Aina. The Chelsea prospect has picked up the grenade between the two Serie A teams, and now Torino are working on closing the deal on the basis of a loan to acquire the wingback- the negotiation could be concluded in the upcoming hours. Mazzarri could welcome a new addition to his squad before the season officially starts

Google translate is questionable this AM, but Ola Aina looks to be heading to Torino on loan.

Link Di Marzio