Chelsea 2018-2019: Sarri, not sorry

RichUT

It's a little weird seeing Willian in such an advanced position.   
Right as I say that, he assists Kante of all people.
Can't believe they didn't go out and buy someone better than Morata.

I can totally believe it. It would have required a lot of work and a lot of money. Much easier to do nothing.

It’s obvious that the players are still adjusting to Sarri’s tactics, but you can’t argue with the result. Good to get a confidence booster to open this year’s campaign. There are much tougher matches ahead but we can worry about those on another day.

Well done, Blues.

On 8/11/2018 at 8:29 AM, RichUT said:

So the hoppy skippy move is going to be his thing? As long as it works I guess. Shot didn’t have much conviction, but it hit the back of the net.

Ya he has been doing it for years with Napoli.

17 hours ago, RichUT said:

Ya, he sorta fit into what Conte wanted to do, but has no business trying to work with Sarri ball.

16 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I miss Nemanja Matic.

He doesn't miss us.

Game went about as good as expected.  Was hoping to see CHO get some time, but he apparently went off limping in warm ups.

Back 4 - Dave is Dave and Alonso had a really good game.  Was able to consistently defend with his height and I didn't feel his lack of pace was ever an issue.  I would like to see Emerson get some time and Zappa is good depth. Geezer was great.  Missed him last year with his wonderful long passes and I didn't feel he ever had one of his moments.  He and Rudiger worked well together and Rudi actually had some passes that I don't recall him making last season.  I think at this point Cahill is depth, Christensen will fight for time between Rudi and Geezer. I also think Christensen is still carrying an injury.

Mid 3 - Jorginho is just smooth.  Very calm and able to move the ball as well as his teammates to get everyone in a good spot.  He didn't make any amazing plays, but was constantly involved.  Barkley had a ton of energy but out of control at times.  He needs a better first touch but it was nice seeing him out there putting it all on the pitch. Kante was amazing.  Only back a handful of days out of position and scores the opening goal. Love the guy.  Kovacic will take Barkley's spot if he continues to turn the ball over. Cesc is injured but not sure who he is depth for, Jorginho or Barkley, but I think Jorginho. Drinkwater is pure depth.

Wings - Pedro and Willian did their thing.  I think they will be putting up quite a few more goals with these set pieces off of goalkicks.  Morata is able to get his head to it and feed it onto their feet in stride.  Willian nearly had a clean breakaway this game.  Hazard is nuts.  CHO is hurt.  Moses off the bench is actually brilliant as he has proven he can come in and provide some defensive stability from a winger position.

Striker - Morata. I'm being cautiously optimistic as I see this the position that makes or breaks us.  Using him in link up on Goalkicks was fantastic as he knows how to use his head.  Past that I think he showed good energy and movement.  His touch is still not as good as it can be. Tammy hopefully doesn't get lost behind Giroud, but I like the depth here.  I think Bats buyout clause is too much for Valencia to afford, but I hope he does well after his injury.

All in all a perfect start to the season.  If you read the post game comments, the formation change by Huddersfield messed up our plans but it was nice to see the changes at halftime and how well the team responded in the second half.

The team needs to get their heads out of their asses at the half. They totally checked out after going up 2-0 and haven’t been able wrestle momentum back. This could end up getting ugly if the back line and the midfield don’t get on the same page on those cut back passes.