Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?

MaybeACoordinator

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I was gonna mention that earlier.  Where was all of the free internet talk when the big ISP's shoved that down our throats?  Ted Cruz is fine with taking AT&T's money when they want to fuck over their customers.

XdY7.gif

The intellectual inconsistency is laughable.  But, y'all knew that already.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Its weird you think each post is a reference to you (and other people "like you"). 

I made a commentary that some people who celebrated Twitter's privately-owned, arbitrary mute/ban/promote decisions, are now alarmed at the *possibility* of new private-ownership's arbitrary decisions.  That's funny. 

Whether you choose to identify with those people and be offended is your prerogative.

Your commentary is based on a made up reality. I just went back and read the last 5 pages. There are zero posts celebrating Twitter's privately owned, arbitrary mute/ban/promote decisions . There are zero posts of anyone being alarmed Elon Musk will be making arbitrary decisions.

This is a made up narrative to make yourself feel better. 

• Hook 'Em 3

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Your commentary is based on a made up reality. I just went back and read the last 5 pages. There are zero posts celebrating Twitter's privately owned, arbitrary mute/ban/promote decisions . There are zero posts of anyone being alarmed Elon Musk will be making arbitrary decisions.

This is a made up narrative to make yourself feel better. 

I like how you think “reality” consists of all of the 20 different people who posted in this thread.

Magical, really. Explains much. 

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I like how you think “reality” consists of all of the 20 different people who posted in this thread.

Magical, really. Explains much. 

I mean, if you're making a broad claim like that and there's no evidence backing in the thread most folks would include something to back that claim lol. But jumping to personal attack is as good as proof for a prior claim I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, elfenix said:

it's easy to win an argument when you don't have to name your opponent

An observation != an argument. 

There are more twitter users than there are Americans. 

One can comment “Americans like SUVs” without citing a specific driver, and it shouldnt incite random people taking umbrage over that statement as a personal attack. 

6 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Your commentary is based on a made up reality.. 

Robert Reich, a made-up person in a “made-up reality”; who used to serve in important positions in multiple made-up presidential administrations; and is faculty of a big made-up university in california; with over 1 million made-up followers on twitter; wrote an article in a made-up news outlet called the guardian that simultaneously:

1. Trumps ban from private social media companies “were necessary”

2. “I fear [Elon] will let” him back on. 

Thats one such example showing what I commented was a funny contradiction, from a very *prominent* person. 

I just went back and read the last 5 pages…there are zero posts of anyone being alarmed

I didnt need to reference you or anyone from the last 5 pages specifically. You are not prominent, whom frankly nobody gives a fuck about. 

Edited by 52-80

you can make a strong case that twitter board has a fiduciary duty to accept the offer.

twitter is barely above the 9-year old IPO closing at $41. 

it's been above $54 for a fraction of the last 5 years. 

it's been in a $30-40 range this entire year.  VWAP is probably 30s. 

unless they can make a case for a brighter future, they are beholden to accept the offer.  the risk is shareholder lawsuit under the broad grounds of 'securities fraud'  (bloomberg's matt levine has a humorous long-standing take on that subject)

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, 52-80 said:

unless they can make a case for a brighter future, they are beholden to accept the offer.  the risk is shareholder lawsuit under the broad grounds of 'securities fraud'  (bloomberg's matt levine has a humorous long-standing take on that subject)

and before anyone throws questions, yes - 'securities fraud'.  matt levine is a former investment banker and lawyer.  the theme of his articles is that while the term implies outright fraudulent behavior, its been used in many lawsuits to cover literally any action that ultimately impairs market value.  i didn't make it up.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Robert Reich, a made-up person in a “made-up reality”; who used to serve in important positions in multiple made-up presidential administrations; and is faculty of a big made-up university in california; with over 1 million made-up followers on twitter; wrote an article in a made-up news outlet called the guardian that simultaneously:

1. Trumps ban from private social media companies “were necessary”

2. “I fear [Elon] will let” him back on. 

Thats one such example showing what I commented was a funny contradiction, from a very *prominent* person. 

I didnt need to reference you or anyone from the last 5 pages specifically. You are not prominent, whom frankly nobody gives a fuck about. 

That is a funny contradiction, but again, it has nothing to do with the opinion article written by Robert Reich. In reading comprehension, it is important to read thing in context and understand the entire article, not just cherry pick quotes to make up your own narrative. 

Reich argued Elon does not care about free speech, the purported reason Musk wants to buy/control twitter. He specifically mentioned the Donald Trump example because Musk opposed the removal of Donald Trump, arguing on Twitter that is was against free speech to do so. Reich listed multiple examples of Musk contradicting his position that Twitter uphold the rights to free speech, arguing if he actually cared about free speech and not power, he would not have blocked people that criticized him or sued them for their words. 

You didn't understand the argument of the article, or didn't read it, and cherry-picked a quote to support a narrative that you created for yourself. 

You are not prominent, whom frankly nobody gives a fuck about

giggles] GIF - Giggle Laugh Smile - Discover & Share GIFs

If I was Musk and this goes through, you have to think on how to actually monetize twitter.

If the real end goal is to make twitter profitable, how do you do it in the name of “free speech”? Musk is as much PT Barnum as he is tech visionary. He intuitively knows what to sell to his audience.

The only way right now to really quickly boost revenue is to convince the world that paying $2 a month for twitter is actually worth it. So how do you show large swaths of his audience that it will cost you for free speech vs. say just being on Facebook/Meta?

I would go about it by combing through all of twitters internal documentation to develop a large enough cache of documents to show selective moderation and purposeful algorithm change vs large groups of potential user. I would go as far as then go in front of congress to admit that yea Twitter did this in the past, but no more. We are going to champion free speech for all and set out some pretty straightforward rules. I would then go as far as to state Twitter crossed the line from platform to publisher in the past and the goal is for that to never happen again, even if it means less stringent moderation.

At the same time go on rants to bemoan because Twitter is free speech driven there is limited things they can do about silent bots (ie bot profiles that do nothing but just follow accounts) and state that one way to do so is to force a subscription model so all users can be chosen to be verified at a low cost per month and that they are including metrics that will not show followers but only verified followers and all users to mute non-verified accounts. That way the bots have little power because the cost for fake follower is going to skyrocket.

Then go about reinstating Trump and watch the new paying members flow in to fight on both sides all the while actually hitting the bots and those that buy followers to show media marketability where it hurts.

Musk is an eccentric dude, but eccentric or not, he doesn’t jump into things where he can’t make a ton of cash. Maybe I’m wrong and he wants to do this for his view that it is for the good of society, but to me he sees it as a great opportunity that has the ancillary benefit of providing a better platform for freedom of expression.

9 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Dude has Fuck You money and knows how to use it. 

Respect the game.

Yup. Imagine having so much wealth that you can offer 50 billion to buy something and you don't need a single investment bank. "Eh, it's only 50 billion...."

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

We are sliding into oligarchy

Already there, dude. A handful of people control the wealth and media in this country. Enjoy your cheap rubber dog shit from China & continue to get fed bullshit about how "The Other Team" wants to destroy the country.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

Already there, dude. A handful of people control the wealth and media in this country. Enjoy your cheap rubber dog shit from China & continue to get fed bullshit about how "The Other Team" wants to destroy the country.

and its unbelievable that some on here celebrate that.

• Hook 'Em 2

So what exactly does Musk make to be so rich? I mean, Bill Gates owned Microsoft which has machines and software in just bout every home and office in the country. Everyone uses Amazon multiple times a day, so Bezos makes sense. Musk owns Tesla cars which I see around every now and then and flies dicks into space. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

musk doesn't give a rat's ass about free speech.

We are sliding into oligarchy. mush is exhibit A. Its unbelievable that some on here seem to celebrate that.

We were past “unbelievable” when censorship started to be celebrated bro.  Find anew descriptor.

• Hook 'Em 5

8 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So what exactly does Musk make to be so rich? I mean, Bill Gates owned Microsoft which has machines and software in just bout every home and office in the country. Everyone uses Amazon multiple times a day, so Bezos makes sense. Musk owns Tesla cars which I see around every now and then and flies dicks into space. 

largely, his 2018 compensation plan, approved by shareholder, that required he:

* 10x the market cap

* 15x the revenue

* 20x the earnings

which he did within 3 years or so. 

there was a 2012 plan with also some tough targets

https://ir.tesla.com/press-release/tesla-announces-new-long-term-performance-award-elon-musk

15 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I flew a dick into SouthAustin’s mom’s space last night.

Edited by Cajun
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Cajun said:

We were past “unbelievable” when censorship started to be celebrated bro.  Find anew descriptor.

So, another person who doesn't understand the issue at all.

You just shepherded an enterprise through a multi-year, multi-billion dollar development and marketing exercise to position it as a strong social media platform.  It works as designed, to generate revenue and shareholder value.

Knowing that, answer the following: should your privately developed platform, your business that you created, be forced to allow and host communications that expressly and plainly call for the rape, murder, and eventual extermination of all jews?  Yes or no.

Secondary question: if you decide that it's a good business decision not to allow Nazi murder proponents to communicate such things on your platform, not only might that be your decision to make, but might it actually be a pretty good decision, objectively?  Yes or no.

20 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Dude, really?

Bezos has the dick shaped spaceships, Elon has the ultra-cool ones with rockets that land on the space pad or even on floating barges. I mean that is certainly awesome.

Edited by Wally Fairway
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So, another person who doesn't understand the issue at all.

You just shepherded an enterprise through a multi-year, multi-billion dollar development and marketing exercise to position it as a strong social media platform.  It works as designed, to generate revenue and shareholder value.

Knowing that, answer the following: should your privately developed platform, your business that you created, be forced to allow and host communications that expressly and plainly call for the rape, murder, and eventual extermination of all jews?  Yes or no.

Secondary question: if you decide that it's a good business decision not to allow Nazi murder proponents to communicate such things on your platform, not only might that be your decision to make, but might it actually be a pretty good decision, objectively?  Yes or no.

You can also make the argument that Russians have no idea what’s really going on the war and Chinese/North Koreans have no idea what’s going outside their countries. There’s 2 sides to the free speech coin. The problem is that they silenced a dissenting opinion from a major political party which puts a lot of fear in people who want to hear both sides of an argument. Twitter absolutely has the right to censor stuff as a privately owned company. Good on Musk for trying to allow a forum for reasonable discourse.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• immamac changed the title to Elon Musk: [Fraud] Official or unofficial piece of shit?
  • blacklab changed the title to Elon Musk: Officially a fraud and piece of shit. Official or unofficial war criminal?