Blastfurnace 2018 Thread

Trey3216

5 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

What is 30/29/30?

Winter is -10/-12/-8 (and that's not windchills); but then this summer has been in the low 90's so we're good

I did do a bad job of writing there :)

What I meant was, I’ll take highs of 108/109/108, anyday, rather than highs of 30/29/30.....over 3 days.  

Cold weather sux

• Like 1

On 7/14/2018 at 5:30 PM, Trey3216 said:

I guess we should start the bitching thread about how fucking terrible the rest of this summer may be.   3rd weekend of July forecast for Hewitt showing 108/109/108.     Fuck me 

Could be worse, you could be driving around the north side of DFW in an old truck with no AC and windows that do NOT roll down.  

Edited by Shmitty
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, former alkie said:

I did do a bad job of writing there :)

What I meant was, I’ll take highs of 108/109/108, anyday, rather than highs of 30/29/30.....over 3 days.  

Cold weather sux

I got it, but in the winter - we people in the northernly reaches talk about how cold the low's are; and on days like those listed it will barely reach temps above zero.
I like when it's that cold, as it typically doesn't snow as much when it is that cold.

11 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Hell yes. You can layer when cold.
Not much you can do at 100+

Another thing I didn’t realize until I moved north is that 35 degrees can feel pretty nice when the sun is shining and the humidity is 10%. In Texas, 35 means a storm has blown in and it’s windy, cloudy, and humid and feels shitty. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, woohorn said:

I'd rather it be 100 than 32 anyday.

I lean this way too. I just don't like the 100 straight days of 95+ or whatever that we get in the summer. Our "cold" spells only last what a week at a time?

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Like 1

I'm leaving town for 2 weeks next week.  You all are on your own.

In better news, this now is pretty likely to happen next winter:

giphy.gif

Liklihood up past 70% now from 50% just a month ago. "Severity" TBD.

For aggys here, El Niño good.  Bring much rain to Gulf Coast.  Cooler but not cold temps.  Want El Niño.

However, the fall climate forecast - well you don't wanna see that right now.   Drier than a Temperance League (maybe).  Warmer temps than normal.

On 7/15/2018 at 6:22 PM, That Guy said:

spending the week at Estes Park. In the 50’s right now. Can’t find shit for good bourbon/whisky. Nothing ain’t never perfect.

Um, have you not been to the Stanley hotel?  About the greatest collection of whisky/whiskey in one bar I have seen.

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Cannot wait to go to Colorado end of next week.  Driving like the Griswolds and staying two weeks.  F this heat.

Ain't nothing like hitting Raton and getting the excitement for the pass thinking "I finally made it!"...then the next thing you know you're in Pueblo wondering what went wrong in life.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

People who say they will take the cold have clearly never experienced long deep cold.

Agreed. 

On 7/16/2018 at 12:16 AM, Shmitty said:

I'll take cold winter temps over this nasty heat any day.  Cold is alot more comfortable than hot and nasty with that "not so fresh feeling."

On 7/16/2018 at 7:47 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Hell yes. You can layer when cold.
Not much you can do at 100+

Sure, you can layer when the high is 32. You can layer when the high is 20. No amount of layering accounts for -5. The "rather have 105 over 32" comparisons aren't apt because 32 isn't extreme cold. The question is "would you rather deal with summer highs of 105 or winter highs of -5?" I've done both but I prefer living in Texas where the blast furnace is on for two to three months (with the exception of the rare summer of 2011) and the rest of the year is comfortable to when I lived in Chicago where the weather was perfect for three months, hit-or-miss for three months, and then winter for 6 months.  

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

Ain't nothing like hitting Raton and getting the excitement for the pass thinking "I finally made it!"...then the next thing you know you're in Pueblo wondering what went wrong in life.

Going to stay with family in Santa Fe on the drive up.  So won't be going that route.  Up through high plateau country to Salida to Buena Vista to Aspen.