Blastfurnace 2018 Thread

Trey3216

After tonight, you're going to fucking forget that Austin even has a summer.  For at least 10 days.  It's going to be a cold shot up your ass.  Jackets definitely in for the next 2 days, after that it's going to be chilly in mornings, not much above 50° until at least Thursday when it climbs to 60°.  Then another cool shot on Saturday.  Heat index will be in the 40's.    Which I'm sure some will complain about.. too damn cold, when's summer?????????????

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

After tonight, you're going to fucking forget that Austin even has a summer.  For at least 10 days.  It's going to be a cold shot up your ass.  Jackets definitely in for the next 2 days, after that it's going to be chilly in mornings, not much above 50° until at least Thursday when it climbs to 60°.  Then another cool shot on Saturday.  Heat index will be in the 40's.    Which I'm sure some will complain about.. too damn cold, when's summer?????????????

My wife, having taught for many years in Austin, refers to it as “that time of year when kids show up to school wearing shorts in 50-degree weather because their parents weren’t paying attention to the news, and just assumed that because it was 85 on Sunday, it would be 85 on Tuesday. “

I wish we had this kind of variety during the summer.  October-December in Austin is a wild ride.  30 degree variants from day to day.  In August, the high is always between 95-105.  Everyday with no fluctuation that is easily discernible to the human body.  

Wife went to bed and asked me to shut off the A/C.  I tried to 'splain that the cold front arriving at 1:00am isn't going to suddenly going to drop the house temp 40 degrees.  Insulation is a two-way street yo...

According to both outside and weather.com, apparently the front is now not getting here until 4:00a or so.  

The Revolution has been postponed.  I mean, it's barely dropping andthe normal low for this date is 60 degrees and we won't get below that until after 4:00a.  So overnight is going to be largely the same it seems.  Wakeup temps are still going to be 54 degrees.  Cooler to be sure, but not the polar vortex they promised us.  But yeah, rain kicking on right for morning commute---that part will suck eggs.  And temps dropping fast throughout the day.  Looks like a soft freeze in some low lying hill country spots on Monday night.  Certainly a cold front by any measure, just not quite as nasty as they made it to be. 

Went outside just now to take trash out, and got another big mosquito bite.  I laughed it off and told it to tell her family that everything they know...is at an end.  The Yukon Front is coming, and hell's coming with it...

Edited by Lobo

Keep in mind the average high for winter in Austin is about 62°.
Welcome to winter.

And it ain't going anywhere for most of the week.  Won't be above our winter average until maybe Friday.

This is a pretty strong cold front for any time of the year, period.

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

According to both outside and weather.com, apparently the front is now not getting here until 4:00a or so.  

The Revolution has been postponed.  I mean, it's barely dropping andthe normal low for this date is 60 degrees and we won't get below that until after 4:00a.  So overnight is going to be largely the same it seems.  Wakeup temps are still going to be 54 degrees.  Cooler to be sure, but not the polar vortex they promised us.  But yeah, rain kicking on right for morning commute---that part will suck eggs.  And temps dropping fast throughout the day.  Looks like a soft freeze in some low lying hill country spots on Monday night.  Certainly a cold front by any measure, just not quite as nasty as they made it to be. 

Went outside just now to take trash out, and got another big mosquito bite.  I laughed it off and told it to tell her family that everything they know...is at an end.  The Yukon Front is coming, and hell's coming with it...

What is happening here?

1 hour ago, Hate said:

Still pretty goddamn muggy here in the Htown area.  I'm ready.

Check back again on your lunch break. Felt like the front started arriving in town sometime between when I pulled out of my driveway and arrived at work. Strong gusts of much cooler air were whipping around the office parking lot.

Edited by Storm the Field

Check back again on your lunch break. Felt like the front started arriving in town sometime between when I pulled out of my driveway and arrived at work. Strong gusts of much cooler air were whipping around the office parking lot.

Yeah, I’m out bear Conroe now and the front has definitely arrived. I could do without the rain though.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

Brace yourself for the week or so of fall weather. Summer II: Heatwave Boogaloo is out there and waiting. You know I'm right.

Meh, you just hate cold weather. Screen name/avatar out front Shoulda told us.

Edited by phdhorn

On 10/14/2018 at 1:10 PM, atomheartbevo said:

My wife, having taught for many years in Austin, refers to it as “that time of year when kids show up to school wearing shorts in 50-degree weather because their parents weren’t paying attention to the news, and just assumed that because it was 85 on Sunday, it would be 85 on Tuesday. “

my first two apartments in austin had central heat/cooling, so days like this i'd go to class in the morning with the thermostat set to cool, and come back in the evening with it trying to cool the apartment with warm air.  really fucking annoying.

Next week looks about perfect, except for the continued precip.  But 70 for a high, 55 for a low.  Good fishing, good camping.  And holy shit balls, I bet Lost Maples is gonna be gorgeous in about 2-3 weeks.  Just spot on perfect.  Can't wait to take the family down there. .

• 7 months later...