Blastfurnace 2018 Thread

Trey3216

Flying back from Minneapolis later. This 70 degree shit has been awesome. Need the next 7 days to hurry the fuck cause it is hot as dick in Dallas then get on the plane Denver and stay north for a bit. The summers never bothered me at all but I guess I am getting old/fat  now. This shit sucks

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Agreed. 

Sure, you can layer when the high is 32. You can layer when the high is 20. No amount of layering accounts for -5. The "rather have 105 over 32" comparisons aren't apt because 32 isn't extreme cold. The question is "would you rather deal with summer highs of 105 or winter highs of -5?" I've done both but I prefer living in Texas where the blast furnace is on for two to three months (with the exception of the rare summer of 2011) and the rest of the year is comfortable to when I lived in Chicago where the weather was perfect for three months, hit-or-miss for three months, and then winter for 6 months.  

I’ve never lived in Chicago, but I can say we have different ideas of “comfortable.” Just because it isn’t over 100 the whole time, 5-6 months of 90ish degree highs and high humidity isn’t comfortable to me.

I’ve never lived in Chicago, but I can say we have different ideas of “comfortable.” Just because it isn’t over 100 the whole time, 5-6 months of 90ish degree highs and high humidity isn’t comfortable to me.

Different strokes. High of ninety doesn’t bother me at all because that means most of the day is on the 80s. I can deal with that.

6 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Sure, you can layer when the high is 32. You can layer when the high is 20. No amount of layering accounts for -5. 

-5? Lol. Maybe they don't sell thermal clothing where you live. -5 is nothing. I'm pretty sure they're still wearing shorts and t-shirts when it's -5 in Minnesota. 

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin Water put out a tweet Monday about the low lake levels and the importance of cutting back on water use, along with the hashtag "make it last."

After KXAN reported Lake Travis — Austin's source for water — is less than 70 percent full and Lake Buchanan isn't far behind, viewers have been asking why the Lower Colorado River Authority is still sending water downstream to the rice farmers.

"I was just curious how much they were going to release, and why they were still releasing when we are in the position that we're in," said John Klingler.

Klingler lives in Lago Vista and has two boats at Lago Vista Marina Park. He says the boat slips have been moved every weekend for the last three weekends to keep up with the changing shoreline.

The rapid drop exposing more of the usually rocky lake bottom has him wondering about the water the LCRA is sending downstream.

"I understand the rice farmers have a livelihood, but the flip side is economically the lake up here is a huge boost not to mention it's our drinking water," said Klingler.

So far this year, the LCRA has sent more than 44,000 acre-feet of stored water downstream. They plan to release another 55,000 acre-feet between August and October.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality is the agency that approved the 2015 Water Management Plan that lays out how much water is available for agricultural irrigation. 

The plan is currently being updated with significant stakeholder input, and the LCRA expects to submit a revised plan to the TCEQ early next year.

Three years ago when the lake was at one of its lowest points, Klingler ended up closing his restaurant on the lake in Jonestown. He's hoping Central Texas won't be in that same boat again

12 hours ago, Updawg said:

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Austin Water put out a tweet Monday about the low lake levels and the importance of cutting back on water use, along with the hashtag "make it last."

After KXAN reported Lake Travis — Austin's source for water — is less than 70 percent full and Lake Buchanan isn't far behind, viewers have been asking why the Lower Colorado River Authority is still sending water downstream to the rice farmers.

"I was just curious how much they were going to release, and why they were still releasing when we are in the position that we're in," said John Klingler.

Klingler lives in Lago Vista and has two boats at Lago Vista Marina Park. He says the boat slips have been moved every weekend for the last three weekends to keep up with the changing shoreline.

The rapid drop exposing more of the usually rocky lake bottom has him wondering about the water the LCRA is sending downstream.

"I understand the rice farmers have a livelihood, but the flip side is economically the lake up here is a huge boost not to mention it's our drinking water," said Klingler.

So far this year, the LCRA has sent more than 44,000 acre-feet of stored water downstream. They plan to release another 55,000 acre-feet between August and October.

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality is the agency that approved the 2015 Water Management Plan that lays out how much water is available for agricultural irrigation. 

The plan is currently being updated with significant stakeholder input, and the LCRA expects to submit a revised plan to the TCEQ early next year.

Three years ago when the lake was at one of its lowest points, Klingler ended up closing his restaurant on the lake in Jonestown. He's hoping Central Texas won't be in that same boat again

Because the rice farmers made a deal when the lakes were built.  It is a property right.  If the Austin and Lake Travis people want to change the deal, they should buy out those water rights.  

And Travis is a flood control lake.  Recreation is at the bottom of the list of priorities.

Edited by Johnny Sack
  • Like 1

After KXAN reported Lake Travis — Austin's source for water — is less than 70 percent full and Lake Buchanan isn't far behind, viewers have been asking why the Lower Colorado River Authority is still sending water downstream

"I understand the rice farmers have a livelihood, but the flip side is economically the lake up here is a huge boost not to mention it's our drinking water," said Klingler.,

"Sorry rice farmers but won't somebody think of my two boats!!!???"

7 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I thought they were building a reservoir near Wharton to cut down on what we had to send.

They are - the Arbuckle Reservoir in Colorado County (down there somewhere on the way to Houston I think).  It'll hold enough to stem the need but not stop it.
The rice farmers were a consideration when the dams were constructed in 1936, but they  don't have sovereign rights over it.  The LCRA commissioners have always been able to vote to stop the releases, and they did for 4 years from 2011 through 2015.  In this case, we had a lot of rain, especially where the rice farmers are, early in the summer.  Probably too far into it to not give them the water.  They'll usually stop the releases before the rice starts growing, so as not to destroy the crop.

I keep seeing mixed results on whether the explosion of area population affects the lakes.  On one hand, there's a lot more water drawn now than 40 years ago.  On the other, the lakes' outflow doesn't just go up every year as the population increases (i.e. last year we used almost 1/3 of what was used in 2011).  Definitely tied to heat/weather.

However, just like someone planting a house on top of Hawaii, which is basically a huge volcano, and marveling when lava eats up their property, a lake sitting on the edge of an officially arid climate (basically 281 and west) might have problems here and there sustaining water.

Just remember - it was a drought of unprecedented proportions that took out the Aztecs and Mayans.  Sometimes it droughts all up in here.  However despite the bakery going on, no records have been set yet (that'll change likely this weekend) and this isn't unusual for a stretch.  Who knows?  Anyhoo, expect this to let up mid-next week when the high gets moved out and we get some Gulf flows again.  Proally a week from today (next Wed-Thur).  Until then, don't run your car heater full blast at 5 p.m. in traffic, for starters.

On 7/16/2018 at 7:39 PM, Surly Bevo said:

People who say they will take the cold have clearly never experienced long deep cold.

I've lived in Rexburg, Idaho (-14 below temps) where the snow becomes ice and stays on the ground till April and even some snow in May and Northern Utah, I HAVE experienced long and deep cold and I would still take that over the heat of a Texas summer where you can't really enjoy being outside no matter what you wear.  

Atleast in sub freezing temps you can dress for it and layer for it to be outside comfortably, and sub zero temps aren't that common anyway, rendering that point moot.  Covered up in a jacket, you can be comfortable outside, whereas in the heat, you can be naked and still be miserable.  

Edited by Shmitty

I've lived in Rexburg, Idaho (-14 below temps) where the snow becomes ice and stays on the ground till April and even some snow in May and Northern Utah, I HAVE experienced long and deep cold and I would still take that over the heat of a Texas summer where you can't really enjoy being outside no matter what you wear.  
Atleast in sub freezing temps you can dress for it and layer for it to be outside comfortably, and sub zero temps aren't that common anyway, rendering that point moot.  Covered up in a jacket, you can be comfortable outside, whereas in the heat, you can be naked and still be miserable.  

So you’ve never been swimming?
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, irishtexan said:

So you’ve never been swimming?

In pools filled with piss and nasty lakes?  Yes, but no thank you.  And they aren't even that cool, they are like 93 degrees warm.  The only cool body of water in Texas is the Guadalupe River.  

6 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

In pools filled with piss and nasty lakes?  Yes, but no thank you.  And they aren't even that cool, they are like 93 degrees warm.  The only cool body of water in Texas is the Guadalupe River.  

The San Marcos river says hola. Plus it is full of Co-eds in bikinis. 

17 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It's hot as balls in the valley out here, and supposed to be Africa hot next week.

Speaking of the globe, scientists just updated the coldest temperature found on earth, by a shitload.  They've found that in Antarctica there's a region that gets to about maximum cold possible not in a vacuum: -144°.  They've re-factored the air humidity.  And keep in mind this is happeningn right now (well the article is 5 years old but the temps continue to get about that low).  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/12/10/antarctica-cold-record/3950019/

Got damn earth is freezing, heading into another ice age:**
https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/723481/Earth-ICE-AGE-big-freeze-solar-activity

Pass me the hot chocolate and extra blankets!  I'm fucking FREEZING now!

** (actually there are a buncha articles that argue against this, but the debate rages on, and hey, fuck that shit, I want to believe we're getting colder becuase, you know, this is a "hot as shit" thread).

Edited by phdhorn
Wrong URL, too cold to type the right one the first time
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Speaking of the globe, scientists just updated the coldest temperature found on earth, by a shitload.  They've found that in Antarctica there's a region that gets to about maximum cold possible not in a vacuum: -144°.  They've re-factored the air humidity.  And keep in mind this is happeningn right now (well the article is 5 years old but the temps continue to get about that low).  

https://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2013/12/10/antarctica-cold-record/3950019/

Got damn earth is freezing, heading into another ice age:**
https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/723481/Earth-ICE-AGE-big-freeze-solar-activity

Pass me the hot chocolate and extra blankets!  I'm fucking FREEZING now!

** (actually there are a buncha articles that argue against this, but the debate rages on, and hey, fuck that shit, I want to believe we're getting colder becuase, you know, this is a "hot as shit" thread).

Debate?  There can be no debate in a question that’s been settled. 

22 hours ago, burntorangebongos said:

I looked at the 10 day forecast for Lakeway and it is over 100 for everyday even with the chance of rain next week. That is going to suuuuuuuuck.  I need to float on the Frio or Comal real soon.

Frio is low, low, low, low low. 

We were there at the end of June. Hung out in some deep water at one of the crossings. Outside of that, there wasn't much floating. Beer was cold and the sites were nice fortunately.

10 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

The Rangers play a 2:05 home game Sunday.  108 high temp.   I bet I could get a seat on stubhub for $1 

I just checked. The area I usually sit in normally cost about $30 a seat. right now its 13.50 (First base side, second deck, in the shade) Some outfield seats are $6.00