Blastfurnace 2018 Thread

Trey3216

The hottest hots have been along the Red River (DFW into Methania).  However the high is going to slink down a bit and the hotter temps are going to push south the next two days.  This is where we get the records (so far only one record has been set in all this, and only at ABIA, yesterday).  I think it'll get to 107 in Austin poope... or proper, and hotter to the west (west of 281) where the air is drier.  Monday will be the final habanero assfuck, about 108-109 in the Ausplex.

Tuesday brings less hot temps as the bulk of the high slides N/NW (remember, these things aren't defined circles or something, they're like water balloons - you squeeze one side and the other bulges out.. this is what these are kind of like, troughs that ebb and flow so the worst of it is on one end or the other).  That entire blob though will slightly shift the coming work week

What's this I see?  Temps going < 100 a week from Monday?  A > 20% chance of rain?  Say it ain't so!  Anyway, keep praying to the GUlf gods, because that's where our best rain will come from the next 2 months.

11:00p and 90 here.  So yeah, probably need to bust out the Patagonia gear.  Something technical too, in case it rains.  My neighborhood brush pickup is Monday morning (granted, it usually Tuesday morning each time).  I'm trying to psych myself up to get out there and prune to a satisfactory amount and haul to curb.  My wife brought it up to me, "I know it says we can start on the Oaks in July, but most arborists say to wait until August when it's peak heat or February at peak cold."  I showed her the 110* forecast for tomorrow and sarcastically said, "Yeah, maybe I should wait for the August heat...good thinking."  At this point, being outside tomorrow by myself seems like the logical move.  Only downside is I'm outta beer.  

9 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Was out spraying mesquite by hand from 10am til noon. It was hot. 

Spraying mesquite with what...olive oil?  BBQ sauce?

11:00p and 90 here.  So yeah, probably need to bust out the Patagonia gear.  Something technical too, in case it rains.  My neighborhood brush pickup is Monday morning (granted, it usually Tuesday morning each time).  I'm trying to psych myself up to get out there and prune to a satisfactory amount and haul to curb.  My wife brought it up to me, "I know it says we can start on the Oaks in July, but most arborists say to wait until August when it's peak heat or February at peak cold."  I showed her the 110* forecast for tomorrow and sarcastically said, "Yeah, maybe I should wait for the August heat...good thinking."  At this point, being outside tomorrow by myself seems like the logical move.  Only downside is I'm outta beer.  

What kind of fancy neighborhood has brush pickup day?

2 hours ago, DaysOff said:

What kind of fancy neighborhood has brush pickup day?

Almost every single-family neighborhood in Austin has twice yearly brush pickup and twice yearly bulk pickup.  

For those of us that do our own yardwork, it’s very nice not to have to breakdown all those branches and limbs into craft bags.  Just drag em to the curb.  

How do you not know about city Brush pickup in Texas?

Almost every single-family neighborhood in Austin has twice yearly brush pickup and twice yearly bulk pickup.  
For those of us that do our own yardwork, it’s very nice not to have to breakdown all those branches and limbs into craft bags.  Just drag em to the curb.  
How do you not know about city Brush pickup in Texas?

In Dallas it’s once a month.

I wish I had the balls to move north.  I've grown comfortable in my life here, and the most natural move for me would be south to Dallas or Houston, but fuck if I wish summers weren't like this.  I'd prefer bitter cold to this bullshit.  You can at least wear a coat, hat, and golves outside in the cold.  There's not a goddamned thing you can do with this fucking heat but stay indoors in the AC.  Fuck this shit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RiceOwl said:

107 in Frisco right now... Pool water is probably like 85-90 but still kinda refreshing. 

It's actually 108 and every bit of parking in the shade at the Kroger on Custer and Eldorado is occupied.  

Let me know when your pool becomes available to us surly shaggy alumni  

Edited by Shmitty
  • Like 2

Some public pools in Texas today are like fucking Bristol Palin.....  The moment you get in to the waist, you're thinking, "Yep, I'm definitely getting something right now."  

I had to practice with my 3-year old this morning, "Mommy wants to go to Target for some reason today.  When she parks the car, you need to say 'Mommy, don't forget about me'."  

I just know this wanna-be-foodie hipster asshole I'm meeting for lunch today is going to say, "you want to eat outside?  There's shade and a decent breeze.  It's fun to get out into nature."  

Last week I was delivering instruments to schools in a cargo van. It has AC, but you're in and out so much that it never really gets cool. Weighed myself Saturday morning and I was down 5 lbs from Thursday morning. Been downing pedialyte and water all day today. I feel like I have a fucking hangover and all I drank was about 6 beers.